• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Are there any shots with foliage?

485403.jpg

and with many Unscored reviews

Unscored due to no way to really test MP just yet.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I have this theory that Gears is going to end up being the Quake (or Unreal) of the third person shooter genre. Both games were incredibly popular when they first came out, but gradually fell out of the mainstream once more "accessible" competitors arrived. The casual audience doesn't like the wall bouncing and the old animations, whereas the hardcore fanbase knows that it's the core foundation of the gameplay.

People who don't like Gears don't want Gears to be Gears. Hence the divide where some players want it to be more like Uncharted or The Division. It's interesting how fighting games get a free pass to iterate, but other genres don't.
There is not much that fighting games or racing games can other than do what they do better.

When it comes other games, reading some of the things that reviewers want does not make sense. I read Gamespots review and they would rather that the game continued with JD and his relationship with Marcus when the story at the end of GoW4 was clearly trending towards Kait.

Another wants the open world to have much more to do when it is clear that there is a war and people live in walled colonies that are either COG or independent from COG.

There is one that has given a low score because Horde is chaotic.

Some want the game to have different gameplay when this game just like Halo must have a serious multiplayer component that is cohesive with the single player experience.

Wait Gamespot gave it a 7?
But had near no complaint.......beyond saying it feels like Gears?
Do they give Call of Duty games the same harsh treatment of comparing COD to COD?
I asked why are people tired of Gears or Halo to the point that they need to change when people are not tired about games like Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, Tekken etc.

Simple answer is that Nintendo switched it up with Breath of the Wild, Sony did the same with God of War and there is now a fetish that Microsoft needs to change the core gameplay loop of a cornerstone franchise because it has been done by other platform holders.
None of those games aspire to have competitive multiplayer, but it is something that has permeated and stuck to the point where it is a requirement that is being placed on them when they have a game come out.
It is an unfair requirement on any game developer, not to mention that there are a lot of changes that have been implemented that really make solving puzzles a personalized affair.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Gonna play the shit out of this regardless but please please please no fucking robot fights. Literal snooze fest in Gears 4 when they were the enemy.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
And people jump on me because in the past i dare to say something about the game having a samey feelings from gameplay videos...and then reviews comes out and say basically the same thing even on very positive reviews...

Sorry if i giggle for a moment here...

It doesn't exactly take a prophet to predict that the next installment in a tent pole franchise with a popular online component will have gameplay that's overly similar to its predecessors though.

I have some more predictions. The next installments of Halo, Call of Duty, Super Smash Brothers, and Destiny will feel "samey."

For better or worst, once your game play has a successful online component - especially a successful online PVP component - your core gameplay is pretty much going to be frozen in time from that point forward. The Coalition tried to make changes to the progression and navigation of the campaign, but at the end of the day, they're never going to be able to redefine the game play like SIE Santa Monica Studio was able to do with God of War due to it not being a single player only game.

Feb 10, 2018
I wonder what igns proper review will be,

It's 8.8 for the campaign

They will be doing review for the mp and the an overall "real" review

It's from McCaffrey who gave gears 4 a 9.2, so I would be surprised if he give gears less.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
And people jumped on me because in the past i dare to say something about the game having a samey feelings from gameplay videos...and then reviews comes out and say basically the same thing even on very positive reviews...

These threads for xbox exclusives are always weird.

Imagine how you'd be laughed out of the park if you came to a Nintendo thread to whine about how MARIO Kart 8 and Smash Bros Ultimate don't reinvent the series.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Deservedly so, and gtaIV also deserves its score, they are two excellent video games

This is why I both love/hate review scores. When you think about it it's a tad bizarre we place all our hopes on the few to tell us if we the masses will enjoy something. To me they should be used as more a guideline versus a definitive stamp on if something is good or not. You have the outliers where every outlet gives something a really shitty score and that may point to issues beyond preference and be more on the technical side which should be called out.

But RDR2 got amazing review scores and I was super hyped for it and while I ended up beating it it was only cause Sony wouldn't give me a refund. Does that mean the game is trash because I didn't agree with reviewers, not at all. But on the flip side just because it got glowing reviews doesn't mean I ended up loving it the same. Same thing with BotW, it got amazing review scores and I couldn't even put more than a few hours in it before I was done. Doesn't mean the game is a piece of shit and deserves to be thrown in the trash, just means it wasn't for me and maybe the next one will be.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It doesn't exactly take a prophet to predict that the next installment in a tent pole franchise with a popular online component will have gameplay that's overly similar to its predecessors though.

I have some more predictions. The next installments of Halo, Call of Duty, Super Smash Brothers, and Destiny will feel "samey."

For better or worst, once your game play has a successful online component - especially a successful online PVP component - your core gameplay is pretty much going to be frozen in time from that point forward. The Coalition tried to make changes to the progression and navigation of the campaign, but at the end of the day, they're never going to be able to redefine the game play like SIE Santa Monica Studio was able to do with God of War due to it not being a single player only game.
He doesn't take a prophet but when i said that people still jumped on me like i was a hater...

Do people jump on another people when their opinions are the same or at least understandable?!

Strange...

Also if this is a normal thing, why reviews are kinda whining about this? Maybe i'm not the only one who was expecting maybe some more changes in the formula?

I was not talking about revolution, but when a game feels basically the same after 6 games mayne there is actually something wrong with it, just my 2 cents.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
And people jumped on me because in the past i dare to say something about the game having a samey feelings from gameplay videos...and then reviews comes out and say basically the same thing even on very positive reviews...

Most people will rightfully look at someone sideways if the basis for their criticism is that a sequel is superficially similar to the series it comes from. It's pretty transparent when someone is digging for a thing to criticize, and just needs anything to fill that blank, vs when there's substance to a problem with the game. With you saying "even the positive reviews say it's similar," it's clear that's what you're doing; you're trying to posture even outright positive reactions from players/reviewers as a negative.

And now that people pointed it out, you're being petulant about it.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We will be doing the Twitch creators round table today on Twitch at 1030am pst with some composers from games and some comic book writers and will be discussing Gears 5 a bit during it if you want to tune in. Not sure if that is shameless tooting of horns but pretty excited to come off of Gears 5 excellent soundtrack and talk to writers of games soundtracks as well.
If folks are interested in games music.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
We will be doing the Twitch creators round table today on Twitch at 1030am pst with some composers from games and some comic book writers and will be discussing Gears 5 a bit during it if you want to tune in. Not sure if that is shameless tooting of horns but pretty excited to come off of Gears 5 excellent soundtrack and talk to writers of games soundtracks as well.
If folks are interested in games music.
Hope they drop the OST soon.

Hulkamania78

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester UK
As a Gears fan since 2006 I genuinely can't wait for this the reviews are great some don't get it I see that but if you don't like the Peek and shoot elements it's a shame.

The direction is to change slightly whether RPG lite or not. The MP is where it's at for me and I'll be levelling up for the next few years.
some great chat in here about the game.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Seems to be a good game, but I will wait until it is 30 bucks or so. I will only play single player and can wait. If it had gotten 90+ I would probably have gone full price as I have a few days off right now... sad but true.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't take a prophet but when i said that people still jumped on me like i was a hater...

Do people jump on another people when their opinions are the same or at least understandable?!

Strange...

Also if this is a normal thing, why reviews are kinda whining about this? Maybe i'm not the only one who was expecting maybe some more changes in the formula?

I was not talking about revolution, but when a game feels basically the same after 6 games mayne there is actually something wrong with it, just my 2 cents.

Yep..with(currently) 34 positive scores and 3 mixed, there is definitely something wrong

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be a good game, but I will wait until it is 30 bucks or so. I will only play single player and can wait. If it had gotten 90+ I would probably have gone full price as I have a few days off right now... sad but true.

Gamepass: Play it right away while you have free time, for way less than $30.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Strange...

why are you trying to turn the positive statements of the reviewers into a negative?

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Metacritic is so awful. No purchase, based on a 5% difference on a rating system using skewed weighting, on an automated algorithm, aggregating different/incompatible rating systems and vomiting out an arbitrary number.

Regardless of that, not buying a game that gets 85% is frankly, excluding so many excellent games people would end up playing 3 games a year.

70 would be a good game. 85 is a damned excellent one.

To each their own, I guess. Shame though that gamers have turned into this.