• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I guessing we should be only taking some of these reviews with the idea they only played the campaign? Some of them don't even mention the new modes which is shocking. I mean escape is like mini L4D mode but doesn't get any mentions. Nothing about multiplayer, horde changes or even the map builder. There can only so much emphasis that can be place on the campaign while there are other modes in place.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I've said it once and I will say it again for gears to break 90, it needs to control more like uncharted 4.

Uncharted 4 controls were so trash I just turned on auto aim to get through the campaign lol.

God I can't wait for Thursday night, Gears 5 MP beta is the most fun I've had in years.

Remove multiplayer, put all the effort in the campaing, a graphical showcase at 30 fps and 90+ guaranteeed. Fortunately Microsoft is different.

This is so true.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Good scores. But not what big established aaa 1st party franchises usually score.

Good scores anyway.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I guessing we should be only taking some of these reviews with the idea they only played the campaign? Some of them don't even mention the new modes which is shocking. I mean escape is like mini L4D mode but doesn't get any mentions. Nothing about multiplayer, horde changes or even the map builder. There can only so much emphasis that can be place on the campaign while there are other modes in place. Don't give me they are not good at multiplayer.

A lot of these reviews are for the campaign only, yea.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I guessing we should be only taking some of these reviews with the idea they only played the campaign? Some of them don't even mention the new modes which is shocking. I mean escape is like mini L4D mode but doesn't get any mentions. Nothing about multiplayer, horde changes or even the map builder. There can only so much emphasis that can be place on the campaign while there are other modes in place. Don't give me they are not good at multiplayer.

Both IGN and GameSpot are reviews in progress IIRC.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof...ODST did not have a good hub Jeff!
Yeah it did. it's still top notch
Agreed with this whole-heartedly.

I still think Gears 4 was pretty close in quality to the original trilogy, but the Gears-style shooter just isn't really en vogue anymore. I saw a lot of people dismiss Gears 4 as "just another Gears game" and not bother trying it or paint the similarity to the original trilogy as a negative.
Gears 4 in some ways was definitely close to quality but in others it was lacking or made really bad decisions that hurt the game.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Gears 4, yeah it does have more, but it needs even more imo,
Like if naughty dog make a gears game with Kate with similar mechanics to lost legacy, I think it would be better. Clearly somthing has to be done because the games are still sub 90.
Are they sub 90? Does a 90 automatically make the game better than a 85 to you before even playing it?

On a score of 0-100 where 50 is average
85 is not even remotely close to being bad, no where near mediocre. All it tells us is it's an enjoyable game, probably even more enjoyable for people a fan of the series.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So for ya'll who read the reviews, can you tell me if they say these open world parts are very long or is most of the campaign taking place in more closed off areas like in previous games? Because if that's the case (and if I end up disliking the open areas) that's not a big deal to me.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I've never been a fan of Gears multiplayer fan up until Arcade during tech test. The Gears 5 tech test alone...knowing that Horde, Escape and map builder would be added to that package is worth more than the 6's and 7's it's getting. Doesn't feel like reviewers are factoring the multiplayer. Campaign would need to be a train wreck for this game to get 6's or 7's when you factor the total content package. The reviews aren't doing a good job selling the fact it's a train wreck. Not getting Halo 5 vibes.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I never understood why TLL got such low scores, especially compared to UC4. I remember many reviewers subtracting points because to them it felt and played so much like UC4, and not much new was happening. But TLL wasn't supposed to be UC5, at first it wasn't even supposed to be a stand alone game. Bringing back what all the reviewers loved one year prior in UC4 and even improving upon that in several areas, how can that be worse?

some people had their fill with UC4 and didn't want more of (almost) the same.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After that great three games, this series became a horrible mess and couldn't go beyond the expansion pack image. There's nothing interesting about it anymore. They need to stop or make a fresh, serious start.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wtf, really? That's crazy. TLL was sooo good.

Right? I think it is probably because it was just too soon after UC4 and it borrowered every gameplay mechanic without adding anything new. Maybe the lenght too (~7h)? Which is weird because it has the perfect lenght with absolutely wonderful pacing (much better pacing than UC4's 15h of campaign). In any case, it was obviously going to itinerate on UC4. The game was made in literally 1 year.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I played about 3 hours of UC4 and stopped playing because it felt like I was a puppeteer. No thanks!!!

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty good scores, but I only like to spend my time with 85+ games because my time is precious. Hoping it reaches that score so that I can give it a try, last time I went below my criteria of only 85+ games was Days Gone and it immediately reminded me why Metacritic scores are very much on point for me.
Is this a copy pasta? Can't tell.

Either way really pleased to see Gears back.

Meracitic ain't shit and we give that shitty site too much prominence and value.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah, it became obvious that the open world areas weren't going to be popular with reviewers after watching some extended footage. There's precious little to do, the navigation requires you to explore (sometimes hitting dead ends) and there's just a sense that you're skiffing around aimlessly.

I'm excited to try it, but I can see why some didn't like it.

With so little to do, the skeptical part of me would assume the traversal is a way to hide load times (like some of Uncharted's climbing sections). I think my concern would be how long those open world parts are (are we talking Wind Waker-length?)

Excellent Story driven games is not Microsoft's agenda anymore. Its about making games that fit into the Gamepass service agenda. Not really a shocker there, I really miss the old Xbox days of yore.

Come to think of it, I would expect MS to encourage their AA-titles to actually be more focused on narrative going forward and leave their AAA-studios to be more so on multiplayer to maintain GP subscriptions.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The scores sound alright. I mean, they are not the best in the world, and I honestly hoped for higher, but based on then text of the reviews, it sounds like it's going to be great fun, which is all I wanted.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Why?

People love it in uncharted.

What is good is good.

And UC stly controls allow for more gameplay variety.
Gears is a multiplayer focused game, the campaign is good fun, ut for most gears fans, is the MP (vs and horde) the most important part, and most people dont want big changes in those aspects of the game.

Dont mess with a big MP franchise gameplay just for some review scores, people wanting Gears to be lke uncharted, are like people that want pokemon wo be real time instead of a turn based RPG. They dont like a (vary popular) game, so they want it to copy another game they like.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent Story driven games is not Microsoft's agenda anymore. Its about making games that fit into the Gamepass service agenda. Not really a shocker there, I really miss the old Xbox days of yore.
So tired of this conspiracy theory bullshit that has absolutely 0 weight to it at all. Story driven games have just as much of a place on GamePass than multiplayer games. The campaign is important to Gears and just because it falls short with some design decisions (open area/pacing/whatever) does not mean Microsoft's attention is elsewhere.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
50% if not more of Gears is multiplayer, it's so important to the franchise.

These reviewers barely or don't mention it at all and still give a score, i find it shocking and so unprofessional!

Oct 27, 2017
I guessing we should be only taking some of these reviews with the idea they only played the campaign? Some of them don't even mention the new modes which is shocking. I mean escape is like mini L4D mode but doesn't get any mentions. Nothing about multiplayer, horde changes or even the map builder. There can only so much emphasis that can be place on the campaign while there are other modes in place.

50% if not more of Gears is multiplayer, it's so important to the franchise.

These reviewers barely or don't mention it at all and still give a score, i find it shocking and so unprofessional!

Games media rarely go in depth with multiplayer. It's best to either watch streams or play those modes yourself.

Multiplayer tends to take time to play a game and when reviewing something with a deadline you don't have those 30+ hours to really play a game over and over again