• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which input method are you using?

• Keyboard and mouse

Votes: 161 37.6%
  • Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
2 questions -

- do we like the in-game frame-rate limiter (60) or is it better left at unlimited? (G-sync user here)
- er, not Gears related but did Nvidia Profile Inspector stop working on 1903?

With a Gsync display, you likely wouldn't want the limiter in play unless your drops are hitting sub-40 fps, because otherwise the shifts shouldn't be disruptive. Just a heads up that those settings (gsync/v-sync) are prioritized in the Windows-level graphics settings. So (for example) it's possible to have V-Sync "enabled" in the game menu, but have tearing because its not actually turned on in the graphics panel in Windows.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but not in any scientific way - both seem pretty smooth to me. Was just wondering what others' experiences were.
I've tried the following:

Unlocked - vsync in CP, gsync.
Locked to 72 with the same
Locked to 60 with the same

And, honestly, it feels super smooth regardless. I currently have it set with the first option.

The game runs beautifully.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I've tried the following:

Unlocked - vsync in CP, gsync.
Locked to 72 with the same
Locked to 60 with the same

And, honestly, it feels super smooth regardless. I currently have it set with the first option.

The game runs beautifully.
At 4k I am dropping quite low at times, might try dropping volumetric and some other things.

It's one of those games I just need to play and stop tweaking. There's too many settings!

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
I've been playing the game fine until today. I didn't change anything. No driver update nothing. Tried a fresh Windows 10 install, fresh new game install and nothing has improved performance. I cannot play this game and I have no idea what to do. Other games are working perfectly. Only having an issue with this.

Driver version: 436.30

pe7itku.png

X7zTRD0.png
I had this exact problem with this exact GPU. Upgrading driver fixed it for me (i was rocking some old version from last year). But since you still experience the issue with 436.30, it doesn't seem to be a driver version issue. Does your GPU usage also hover around 60-70% (at default graphics settings)?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I had this exact problem with this exact GPU. Upgrading driver fixed it for me (i was rocking some old version from last year). But since you still experience the issue with 436.30, it doesn't seem to be a driver version issue. Does your GPU usage also hover around 60-70% (at default graphics settings)?
Yes despite what the benchmark says the Game Bar gpu usage is wildly fluctuating and relatively low in the 70s.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Anyone getting random crashes and solved it? I can't pinpoint the cause. I also get the same sort of crashes in GoW4.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
That's basically what I was fearing. There's gotta be a software issue/interaction going on, since normally that framerate target is (if anything) a little more aggressive than needed to land at target. I'd hang in there since it's a new behavior, but that's obviously shitty. I haven't had a chance to check on any of my computers the last few days, and now I'm curious if I'm affected or not.
People on the official forums are reporting severe frame pacing issues, stutters and freezes as well. Sounds identical to my issue. Mostly likely a game update is causing this. It probably updated in the background I have no recollection of any notification for the game update.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Act 4 is currently unplayable as the game hard crashes my PC even on lowest settings right at the start.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
FWIW I did a DDU sweep and re-installed latest stable drivers and it appears my BSOD issues have gone. 980Ti/6700K - stock.

Let the bootcamp open for 5 mins and it didn't crash. I would like to try campaign again but it means sitting through nonsense cutscenes each time before I can verify gameplay is okay. Absolutely dogshit from the Coalition.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else crash to desktop during the mini-cutscene transitions? It doesn't happen everytime, but when my game does crash to desktop it is during one of those transitions or the beginning of a cutscene.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just downloaded the game but for some reason, my Xbox controller is not recognized in game. I'm playing on Xbox Game Pass PC through the Xbox app. It's not the controller since it works on any other game (including some MS one like Forza Horizon 4). Any clue?

EDIT: nvm the issue fixed itself

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am reposting thins from PC builders thread.
I dont really know if this the right thread. But I finally started playing Gears 4 , but i cant hold 60fps at native 4k with my 2080ti and i9 9900k . So I locked frames to 30. And it was fine but the judder was a bit much, so i selected my TV to run at 30hz instead and it feels a lot better. My question is , is this placebo or going for 30hz refresh rate for 30 fps games is actually beneficial? And is gears 5 that better optimized that i could run on ultra?

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Act 4 is currently unplayable as the game hard crashes my PC even on lowest settings right at the start.

I wonder if this is the same problem I had? The game worked fine up until the start of Act 4, then it started getting framey, and kept getting worse in the span of like 30 secs until my PC completely froze and I had to power off my computer. Happened several times in a row, so I'm not even gonna touch the game until a possible patch is released.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is the same problem I had? The game worked fine up until the start of Act 4, then it started getting framey, and kept getting worse in the span of like 30 secs until my PC completely froze and I had to power off my computer. Happened several times in a row, so I'm not even gonna touch the game until a possible patch is released.
Yep exact same issue. I was able to get past the beginning by lowering all settings to low and running at 720p but it happened again further along the chapter even on those settings so I uninstalled and am waiting for a patch.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yep exact same issue. I was able to get past the beginning by lowering all settings to low and running at 720p but it happened again further along the chapter even on those settings so I uninstalled and am waiting for a patch.

I just had this same problem, 1070. Reverting to the previous drivers -- 430.15 I think, seems to have helped.

Also, my theory is that specific problem with Act 4 seems to only be a problem with that one specific part at the very beginning of Act 4. It's the outdoor part with the trucks and those two Carriers. Even after I reverted my drivers and went back to recommended graphics settings (which was most things at ultra and a few set down to high at 1080p), the very start of Act 4 still saw a performance drop of like 50-60% compared to the rest of the game up to that point. After I exited that area and went to the indoor area that follows it though, performance seemed to go back to normal.

I don't think this is related to the GW502 error because when this part did crash for me it didn't crash to desktop. It just slowed down until it froze.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It works extremely well with my 2x 970 GTXs. Mostly high settings and 1440p resolution at 70-80fps. I don't know if it's using any multi gpu stuff yet, but even more amazing if not. Like the only game recently I haven't had to turn down low just to get high framerates.

Seems like a very efficent game for very good graphics.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
New Nvidia driver and Gears 5 update still hard lock/crash during act 4 near the end of chapter 1. Tried everything from no gysnc, all low settings, reinstalling, etc.

Game is simply busted on my 970/4690k set up.

All other games work fine.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn it. Was installing the latest GeForce driver while Gears 5 updated and some how it hard locked my entire computer. Upon reboot (and reinstall of graphics driver), It said the update was complete and loaded Gears. Now says Versus/Horde and other bits are "still downloading" but there is zero network activity and nothing downloading in the store.

Is there any way to "validate" like in Steam with UWP or is it fucked and a complete re-download needed ?

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
I am reposting thins from PC builders thread.
I dont really know if this the right thread. But I finally started playing Gears 4 , but i cant hold 60fps at native 4k with my 2080ti and i9 9900k . So I locked frames to 30. And it was fine but the judder was a bit much, so i selected my TV to run at 30hz instead and it feels a lot better. My question is , is this placebo or going for 30hz refresh rate for 30 fps games is actually beneficial? And is gears 5 that better optimized that i could run on ultra?

Your machine should be able to handle 4K60 fine. Try toggling ASYNC compute in video settings.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn it. Was installing the latest GeForce driver while Gears 5 updated and some how it hard locked my entire computer. Upon reboot (and reinstall of graphics driver), It said the update was complete and loaded Gears. Now says Versus/Horde and other bits are "still downloading" but there is zero network activity and nothing downloading in the store.

Is there any way to "validate" like in Steam with UWP or is it fucked and a complete re-download needed ?

Well, strangely, its back up and running. I uninstalled it ready to download it all over again, and when I went to reinstall, it just said downloading 5GB, which it didnt, it seemed to scan my drive for a bit, download a few hundred MB, then said it was ready. Launched the game, no mention of remaining things to download, and playing fine again.

Windows Store UWP stuff is weird.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The benchmark's VRAM usage wasn't reflective of the game's usage with ultra textures in my case. The benchmark ran fine, however, the game ran into horrendous stuttering at times when it approached 8GB usage on my 1080.
Damn, I heard the benchmark was more demanding than anything in the actual game so I felt good. I just started Act 2 Ch 2 which is when I imagine the game will get really demanding.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else having super high CPU utilization leading to super high temperatures?
Im playing the Steam version of the game, it pulls to 60 fps easily.
But my CPU is being absolutely crushed and im reaching the 90s in terms of temperature.

Ive tried using Vsync which worked for some people on reddit but that aint it.....used Nvidia driver level Vsync....still hitting 100% utilization.
While I am planning a CPU upgrade soon i dont exactly want to fry this one till the new one actually arrives.

If anyone has any super secret solution that they have Id be grateful, enjoying the game so far, but having my temps go this high has essentially made me stop playing the game.

i5 2500K - Yes I know its old. But its been chugging along with every game I throw at it without too much issue....till Gears 5 which seem to cook it.
GTX 1070.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Im trying to get this game running closer to 120fps as much as possible. gears 4 ran very good on High and maintained that fps almost all the time. I'm not sure if Gears 5 is just un-optimized but the game will fluctuate from 80-120 when playing Versus. Changing the pre-set visuals from Ultra to High doesn't seem to do very much in terms of better frame rate.

I'm also getting an issue with doing other tasks when the game loads in or out of playing. videos(chrome/VLC) im watching will temporarily freeze. never had this on Gears 4.

EDzVSpVU8AA2Nny.jpg:large

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The game's true benchmark is Act 2 Ch 5. During the combat my rig cannot maintain 60 FPS while on ultra, some effect maxes out my GPU. Switching to the high preset drops GPU utilization to ~50%.

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
The engine is so weird, when running the game in 1080p everything looks quite blurry even on max settings. As soon as I upscale to 1440 (running a full-hd 144hz gsync display here), the image quality looks crisp as hell, like night and day, but the controls become sluggish. I mean REAL sluggish. And that happens even though I am far above 60fps, no dips. But the game feels like a sub-30 fps game.
Any tips for me? :/ I have dynamic resolution scaling disabled

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't uninstall this game anymore.

I uninstalled and everything seemed fine, until it installed itself. Since then, uninstalling it doesn't free up any space, and reinstalling takes only a few seconds.

So I decided to delete the game folder from WindowsApps and it worked fine for a day or two, and now it installed itself again. I'm going to reinstall Windows and stay away from Game pass.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This game just crashes to desktop for me at the title screen, after I press "Enter" (or C). Quick check on Google points to a compatibility issue with Creative X-Fi sound cards. Great job, again, MS! FH4 was basically unplayable on X-Fi cards for more than a year after launch. Let's see if the same will be true for Gears5.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Nvidia and Gamepass user here. Game's crashing on first start-up while loading (or later on while playing) after boot/wake up from sleep with 502 "video card stopped responding error". I can play for hours without issues when starting the game again. But going through a 100% certain crash everytime is annoying. Strange it stops if start-up the game immediately again after the crash.

Any solution for this?

GTX 1070 (OCed), i5 4690k, 16GB RAM, up to date Windows and Nvidia drivers. Any other game runs fine. Can't remember the last time another game than Gears 5 has crashed.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Nvidia and Gamepass user here. Game's crashing on first start-up while loading (or later on while playing) after boot/wake up from sleep with 502 "video card stopped responding error". I can play for hours without issues when starting the game again. But going through a 100% certain crash everytime is annoying. Strange it stops if start-up the game immediately again after the crash.

Any solution for this?

GTX 1070 (OCed), i5 4690k, 16GB RAM, up to date Windows and Nvidia drivers. Any other game runs fine. Can't remember the last time another game than Gears 5 has crashed.

Remove overclocks and see if that helps. Try clean reinstalling drivers. So far I haven't seen a single crash on my 2080 Ti.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Does anyone know if there is a way to confirm that the game has been *completely* removed from my PC after uninstalling it via the Xbox (Beta) app? The amount of space my SSD got back was not equal to the amount of space the game used or the amount I would need to install it again. Wtf is going on?

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Does anyone know if there is a way to confirm that the game has been *completely* removed from my PC after uninstalling it via the Xbox (Beta) app? The amount of space my SSD got back was not equal to the amount of space the game used or the amount I would need to install it again. Wtf is going on?

Take control of the WindowsApps folder you installed it to (theoretically, not reverting the owner of the folder afterwards may cause problems, but I can't say I've ever encountered any issues, plus that means repeating this song and dance should you need to go digging again in the future) and delete the Microsoft.HalifaxBaseGame_[version number]_8wekyb3d8bbwe and MSIXVC folders. The latter may not be there, and if neither are, then it's fully uninstalled.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Take control of the WindowsApps folder you installed it to (theoretically, not reverting the owner of the folder afterwards may cause problems, but I can't say I've ever encountered any issues, plus that means repeating this song and dance should you need to go digging again in the future) and delete the Microsoft.HalifaxBaseGame_[version number]_8wekyb3d8bbwe and MSIXVC folders. The latter may not be there, and if neither are, then it's fully uninstalled.

Thank You!