• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
good for them, the game is an example of perfect optimization on pc (performance wise, i have not tried the multiplayer)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
2034, Game Pass has 20 milion subscribers, Gears 9 launches, hits 6 milion players in its first week

Era: "Yeah ok, but how many copies it sold?"
I think evaluating the performance would be easier if they at least publish the numbers of GamePass subs.
So in your future scenario they are proving more information than right now.

I dont think that anyone is doubting that the game is successful and did what MS wanted it to do - but at the end of the day you just have to take MS word for it and whatever spin they release with their PR. With Gears 5 it might not be an issue, since its a legit big title.....but the transparency just isnt there when you are only told to rely on the PR statement.

This isnt just about Gears 5 but the overall situation - its not better or worse than people acting as if everything GamePass related is a big success.

Publishing any kind of GamePass sub numbers would be a first step in being somewhat open about the performance of the service and how customers interact with the Xbox in 2019.

MS doing whats best for them is okay and needed - but this doesnt mean that everyone will just eat up whatever information they decide to release to make them look as good as possible. Same way people thought Nintendo was crazy for only having BotW that one e3 or dropping out of press conferences - it was what made most sense for them, in the bigger picture and compared to what other players did it still looked out of place and people complained.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That's why Fortnite is such a failure they have to literally give it away for free. When is Epic going to learn you can't make money from doing that? Show us the Fortnite sales!
That question is exactly why it's interesting to see what impact GP has on the design of games. Getting paid less upfront would theoretically incentivize developers to increase their reliance on micro transactions. Does GP create this middle ground between free to play and full price game design?

Either way, congrats to The Coalition. Gears 5 has looked like the best MS effort his generation since it was revealed. Let's hope that MS can sustain things on the business side of things so that Gears 6 sees the same success.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
When are they going start moderating the constant stream of people coming into threads about users to talk about sales. It's incessant concern trolling and totally fucking pointless.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are frankly sick in the head or something. We have anything from concern trolling over retail sales when Xbox themselves marketed this for Game Pass in pretty much everything to people even questioning the reported player counts because someone may have just fired it up and quit the game after a short time, just wow. Enjoy some freaking video games and quit being such jackasses to others who are enjoying different games or platforms.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing achievement, Gamepass is a great service and a great price - one I'm happy to say subscribed to :) hell its the only thing I subscribe to :)

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it's a direct continuation of the story from 4. I would personally recommend playing it because it's a great game a you get to know the characters. It'll take about 6-8 hours depending on the difficulty you pick. If you really don't want to play through it 5 starts with a "Previously in Gears" cutscene that goes over the basic plot of 4 to get you up to speed.

Playing 4 will still get you more invested in the main characters though that you don't get from a 1 minute summary.

Thanks. Will do that then. 6 hours campaign sounds appealing as I don't have a lot of time to game these days.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
That question is exactly why it's interesting to see what impact GP has on the design of games. Getting paid less upfront would theoretically incentivize developers to increase their reliance on micro transactions. Does GP create this middle ground between free to play and full price game design?

Either way, congrats to The Collition. Gears 5 has looked like the best MS effort his generation since it was revealed. Let's hope that MS can sustain things on the business side of things so that Gears 6 sees the same success.

I think they're doing it right with selling only MP cosmetics, all the updates will be free. Sea of Thieves had no micro-transations for 18 months until the latest update which has pets you can purchase. They are also cosmetic items only and you can still earn them by playing the game.

Thanks. Will do that then. 6 hours campaign sounds appealing as I don't have a lot of time to game these days.

Yeah, play on the easiest setting to get through it quickly just to see the story.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of those "maximum of 2 bestsellers a year" are still charting high over a year after their release.
Meaning that they've been bringing in continuous revenue since their release.
Isn't that still better than a 1 dollars/month service ?
These games fall in price after 1 month or 2 months. Well, Nintendo doesn't. But to an XGP with more than 10 million subscribers no great first-party game can keep up with the revenue, only third parties can only GTA. XGP for 1 dollar is an offer, that will not cost. Although these offers will not disappear as there are in any subscription service.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Either way, congrats to The Coalition. Gears 5 has looked like the best MS effort his generation since it was revealed. Let's hope that MS can sustain things on the business side of things so that Gears 6 sees the same success.
When it comes to traditionally single player games, it actually SAVES them from microtransactions - your sub fee becomes the microtransaction. Games are subsidized by your continued subscription, much like Netflix shows. They don't individually need to appeal to as many people, as long as the suite is enough to convince people to not cancel.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Some of you are frankly sick in the head or something. We have anything from concern trolling over retail sales when Xbox themselves marketed this for Game Pass in pretty much everything to people even questioning the reported player counts because someone may have just fired it up and quit the game after a short time, just wow. Enjoy some freaking video games and quit being such jackasses to others who are enjoying different games or platforms.

They can't help themselves man. Something is obviously lacking in their lives.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Game Pass isn't having an impact on Game Design. GAAS type of modes were there before Game Pass became a thing. Gears 5 is just a continuation of what was already there but an even better value than the previous iteration. There's nothing you can point to to say that Game Pass will have that impact on game design outside of "concern"

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
hopefully MS finds all this worth it and profitable so they can continue making great, high budgeted Gears games and release them at a very low cost for the consumer. I imagine they're still building up those gamepass sub numbers which is why they aren't revealing them yet. would be interesting to see if this all works out in the end, the subscription route that is. and would be interesting to see what effects it has on the industry as a whole.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
If it was that simple I'd agree with you, but you know it's not.
Yes. I know, but it can be if MS was so inclined. The NPD does not get digital numbers for Nintendo; there is an asterix saying as much. We thus know that the revenue ranking does not reflect the whole story.

Similarly, MS can say Gears sold ___ (*does not include revenue or users generated via GamePass). I guarantee you if the raw sales numbers were through-the-roof phenomenal, we would know about it.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I just finished act 2 and I have to say this is the best gears game and probably my game of the year. Well deserved. MS are all in gamepass which is encouraging as a happy gamepass subscriber.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
You're joking right?

MS is playing their own game. It has been this way for a while....
Dead serious. I want Gears to sell like gangbusters and now that MS has begun to regain momentum, I want apples-to-apples comparisons, or at least as close as possible acknowledging that GamePass muddies the water. The whole reason they switched to "alternate" statistics was because MS's original product shit the proverbial bed. I think they are in a much better place now and perhaps I'm being naive, but I would really like to see the numbers that reflect this.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
That's why Fortnite is such a failure they have to literally give it away for free. When is Epic going to learn you can't make money from doing that? Show us the Fortnite sales!

It doesn't cost 1 dollar beyond your first or second month.
Im not saying its a failure or not, just that the numbers are meaningless. Plus I am extremely confident something like Fortnite didn't take nearly the same amount of investment as G5.

Why are so many people so defensive? Its pretty reasonable to see that this number really doesn't mean much in this scenario.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Game was good, and i'm happy for their success, and hope many of those GP Users will stay subbing a little long than a month or two.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dead serious. I want Gears to sell like gangbusters and now that MS has begun to regain momentum, I want apples-to-apples comparisons, or at least as close as possible acknowledging that GamePass muddies the water. The whole reason they switched to "alternate" statistics was because MS's original product shit the proverbial bed. I think they are in a much better place now and perhaps I'm being naive, but I would really like to see the numbers that reflect this.

Their strategy is to sell services, why would they talk about statistics for something they're not interested in.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears seemed like a dead franchise walking after judgment and 4. This entry got far more hype than I ever would have thought, and gamepass is to thank for it I believe. these numbers are great

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There we go, a hit for MS.

Well done The Coalition, you guys are now a premier studio for the gaming populace, I'm so happy for them.

One of the best TPS this gen, its so damn good.

Gears is back!

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
One interesting thing about Gears 5 and of course even more so with Halo Infinite next year is the fact that they have huge multiplayer components to them. Of course there will be many who may just join Game Pass for the campaign and bail out after that, but the multiplayer hook with continuing support and content can either keep others subscribed to keep playing if they get into that or maybe even buy the game when their subscription is going to end if they get into the multiplayer and don't want to keep Game Pass going for whatever reason. That is a very different thing than SP only games.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Congrats to The Coalition and MS, the game is bad ass and it deserves to be carried forward by the community!

Just think if they keep spooling this kind of money and positive momentum into their studios and services. We get The Outer Worlds in GamePass shortly and next year we get Halo Infinite plus what ever else they have slated. Good time to be a gamer with All 3 major companies firing on all cylinders again.

Dabi3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't for the E3 deal, I wouldn't be subscribed to GPU. Though I'm happy that they're pursuing this initiative. Bring on The Outer Worlds baby!!!!

IRECLAIMER117

Banned
May 4, 2019
I'm really not though. We know opening week is 3m player count, and a sizeable portion of that has to be Game Pass, so sales of the game aren't going to come close to matching Gears 3, and naturally revenue will be less too because of Game Pass. It's less of an assumption and more of a guaranteed deduction of the data and figures we have available to us.

Side note, what do you think its opening sales will be?
So you can predict the future now? Sea of thieves is up to 8 million forza 12 million you don't think the revenue will surpass gears 3? Like come on you don't know what you're even saying that's such a ridiculous thing to say the games been out a week!

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018

I'll email Phil and have him change Microsoft's business plans so you can have your apples to apples comparison.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Im not saying its a failure or not, just that the numbers are meaningless. Plus I am extremely confident something like Fortnite didn't take nearly the same amount of investment as G5.

Why are so many people so defensive? Its pretty reasonable to see that this number really doesn't mean much in this scenario.

It means 3 million people played the game. That's not a meaningless number.