• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I don't think people post scores to change people's mind about a game, rather to highlight how hyperbolic some opinions are. When someone says that the campaign can't possibly be worse than Gears 4's, the implication is that it was absolutely awful, where that simply isn't the case. Perhaps it wasn't as good as the other mainline releases, but it was still mostly solid, and the review aggregate highlights that.

You give people too much credit.

Case in point:
I disagree with your opinion. I think it was absolutely awful.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
I recently replayed Gears 4 and it wasnt as bad as people remember it. Its a very solid competent (albeit safe) Gears game. Def prefered the OG trilogy though. Looking forward to Gears 5.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It doesnt they said.
Good. In Gears 4 those parts just made the campaign feel more like a training mode for the multiplayer rather than an action adventure. Still thought it was a fun blast overall though, with some standout pieces (Marcus's greenhouse lol) but at the same time it felt like with another year it could have gone from good to incredible. Still amazing what they achieved in such a tight development schedule though. I hope they've put the extra time to good use this time around.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I recently replayed Gears 4 and it wasnt as bad as people remember it. Its a very solid competent (albeit safe) Gears game. Def prefered the OG trilogy though. Looking forward to Gears 5.

Yup, people love their hyperbole. Gears 4 was intended to be safe.
Microsoft's head of all things Gears of War, Rod Fergusson, says his team is playing it less safe with September's Gears 5 after feedback that the series' last installment didn't go far enough. "We felt like we had to prove ourselves," he said of the team's previous effort on 2016's Gears of War 4. It was the first Gears game made by the then-new Microsoft-owned Coalition studio, which included just three people—including Fergusson, he says—who'd made a Gears game before.

"We really went out going, 'Okay, we're going to stay true to what Gears is, and [not] mess with it too much,'" he said during an interview with Kotaku at E3 in Los Angeles. "We really didn't want people going, 'Well they don't know what they're doing.' And what we got instead was like, 'There's not enough innovation here.' We sort of took that feedback about, 'We trust you, please go push it.' And so we really brought that to Gears 5."

What we got was a pretty safe "night in the woods" story (as Theorry put it) that introduced the new cast while respecting the roots of the franchise. It was basically the Gears equivalent to The Force Awakens, which also had its fair share of critique for being too safe but was still a pretty good movie.

I'll take Coalition taking it safe with Gears 4 over what we got with 343i and Halo 4.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Um no the campaign in Gears 4 was just boring. None of the new cast is interesting or funny in the least unlike the original characters.

The gameplay is the same, similar same type of set pieces, the enemies are basically the same. I just replayed the Gears 4 campaign last week, the difference between that and the originals isn't really there?

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Gears 4, but I imagine part of it was due to only playing it after 5 was announced. The entire story felt like a prologue to Gears 5.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Currently playing Gears 4 for the first time to hype myself for this.

Really rough start if you ask me, the repeat robot encounters in rather mundane backdrops throughout act 1 was a turn off. The game is improving in later chapters at least, but mostly it looks fantastic on my pc and controls fluidly.
If Gears 5 is more of that, I'll jump in.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what was rushed about Gears 4. The complete package and quality is great. The story was more a "night in the woods' but that was all intended.
the package of gears 4 was okay but had a fair bit of issues especially related to cards and all the packs. I also felt the season pass was really bad and a waste of money.

What we got was a pretty safe "night in the woods" story (as Theorry put it) that introduced the new cast while respecting the roots of the franchise. It was basically the Gears equivalent to The Force Awakens, which also had its fair share of critique for being too safe but was still a pretty good movie.

I'll take Coalition taking it safe with Gears 4 over what we got with 343i and Halo 4.
Its equivalent to what 343 did with halo 4. It wasn't terrible but surely wasn't up to previous gears campaigns.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was decent, wouldn't say great at all especially the first 3 chapters. It's easily the weakest mainline campaign and I'm hoping 5 is a big step up.
To be fair, each previous mainline campaign was bloody excellent, but yeah, I agree with you. It was ok, and well worth a play through before 5. It starts off so slow.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Gears 2 had the best campaign imo. Gears 4 ? Nah, it was serviceable at best. First few chapters were dull, then it picked up slightly, and boom.....it ended, like develpment time ran out or something.

Gears 5 is looking fantastic from what was shown. Looks to be a huge step-up, and I find Kait far more interesting than JD.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Replaying Gears 4 again now. Beginning is little slow but it's a good romp. Looking forward to the next one.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the package of gears 4 was okay but had a fair bit of issues especially related to cards and all the packs. I also felt the season pass was really bad and a waste of money.
I felt the same but I'm not the biggest Gears fan, never was. I will still play Gears 5 though

Tbf (and this is disheartening to say) the season pass issue you mention is way to common in the industry and not just specific to Gears 4

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt the same but I'm not the biggest Gears fan, never was. I will still play Gears 5 though

Tbf (and this is disheartening to say) the season pass issue you mention is way to common in the industry and not just specific to Gears 4
I don't agree actually there have been only a few season passes that are not worth it but there are a ton that have been worth it.

Jun 22, 2018
I just recently replayed the Gears 4 campaign in co-op and played through as Kait the whole game. It really got me hyped for 5. 4 wasn't the strongest campaign overall, but it is such a fun time. The combat is so much smoother and more refined than the earlier games and as such had the most enjoyable combat game play of the series so far. The Gears 5 alpha felt even further refined, so it should be really great.

Slyfox

Oct 28, 2017
Bring back Steve Jablonsky for composer duties.

Djawadi's score for Gears 4 was so bland.
Yes, please. Steve Jablonsky's Gears 2 OST was perfect for Gears. Gears 4 didn't have any seriousness to it imo. Didn't help that the main characters and settings were much less bleaker and serious compared to the OG trilogy.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Its equivalent to what 343 did with halo 4. It wasn't terrible but surely wasn't up to previous gears campaigns.

There are some similarities in how Gears 4 and Halo 4 both did some heavy lifting in introducing new lore and enemy types, but as far as staying true to gameplay design principles and mechanics, Coalition was a much more faithful to the core continuation of the franchise and a better game for it, imo.

I'm playing through it now. It's a lot of fun, even if JD is a completely uninteresting character.

JD has grown on me through multiple play-throughs, but yeah, he definitely took getting used to.

I liked him a lot better towards the final chapters and it's nice to see him evolve a bit so far in Gears 5. I'm very curious what happens to him. I got a bad feeling because we've only seen JD gameplay footage using his pre-arm injury skin. Presumably the injury happens during the event that causes the rift between him and the others we saw in the first trailer last year. It's probably going to happen shortly after the prologue mission where we first meet Fahz because JD still has his arm at that time..

JD-5d5b378a4dd2f-1024x576.jpg

0f35938a4fad56a409e3f6f1d65c2f1141967ded.jpg

Last edited:

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Changes seem really minor. Good for those that are still fans I guess, but not the overhaul/re-imagining this series needs.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are some similarities in how Gears 4 and Halo 4 both did some heavy lifting in introducing new lore and enemy types, but as far as staying true to gameplay design principles and mechanics, Coalition was a much more faithful to the core continuation of the franchise and a better game for it, imo.

JD has grown on me through multiple play-throughs, but yeah, he definitely took getting used to.

I liked him a lot better towards the final chapters and it's nice to see him evolve a bit so far in Gears 5. I'm very curious what happens to him. I got a bad feeling because we've only seen JD gameplay footage using his pre-arm injury skin. Presumably the injury happens during the event causes the rift between him and the others. It's probably going to happen shortly after the prologue mission where we first meet Fahz.

JD-5d5b378a4dd2f-1024x576.jpg

0f35938a4fad56a409e3f6f1d65c2f1141967ded.jpg
His arm gets injured?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, Halo 4 was terrible. Gears 4, while certainly not stellar campaign-wise, doesn't deserve to be compared to that crap.
No it's a completely accurate comparison, halo 4 and gears 4 are close and both are good games. I do have much more faith in the collition compared to 343. So it gives me hope for gears 5.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the ROADS TO GEARS 5 campaign, I'm replaying the campaign with a friend after 2 years of playing the game at release date

Overall, the game is fun, but the story is boring (except the ending) My biggest gripe is that I feel that they introduce lots of characters and moments that are never truly explained within the game, so after a while you don't really get the motivations of the characters, is kinda the force awakens when there is supposedly a new menace, but you never quite get why is there at all.

Also, today I tried to play for a third the campaign with a friend, but decided to drop after the first act, since I found it dull

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The gameplay is the same, similar same type of set pieces, the enemies are basically the same. I just replayed the Gears 4 campaign last week, the difference between that and the originals isn't really there?

Me and my wife have completed every Gears game through coop. Gears 4 is the only one that we had to take repeat breaks on cause it was simply boring at most parts. The forced horde sections felt extremely lackluster and the robots were to us simply not fun to fight whatsoever. With that said I wouldn't say it was terrible or even worse than other games we played through but it's definitely a low spot for us when we rank it among the other Gears campaigns.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the soundtrack, as long as it doesn't have Megadeth again.
It's fucking crazy that this runs at native 4k/60 on X. It's basically God of War level graphics at a higher res and framerate. Insane.
Quick correction: it's not native 4K. It's temporal reconstruction.
Wait I'm a bit confused, so I need a xbox account to play the game on the Steam? So every achievement will pop-up twice (steam & xbox) ?
Probably won't have Steam achievements as a result.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gears 4 was mediocre at best. Slog of a campaign to get through. That's why I'm playing this on game pass. Not paying nowhere close to full price for this game 🤷‍♂️

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Gear's 4 campaign was good (not great):
-New art direction and color palette is a big improvement IMO
-It has some good-looking setpieces and the horde sections are a good change of pace
-Environments are beautiful and there's a lot of different places compared to the the old games

Considering that it was developed by a new studio, comparing it to Gears 1 seems fair, and 4 was a good fresh start. I agree that it doesn't feel as good as Gears 2/3, but we had enough of the old characters and grey/yellow/brown areas. Gears 5 needs to bring lots of new things to the table though, the studio has already developed a remake and a new entry so they should be ready to show what they are capable of.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Then I have no idea.
Assuming that Steam has all the same achievements, I can't really see why they'd need to show you that you unlocked both an Xbox and Steam achievement. I think the PC page for the game says something like 'most Xbox achievements', so the Steam release may not even have every Xbox achievement (which I can't exactly see why they'd do that).

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
If you didnt like the Gears 4 campaign I can only assume you dont like Gears campaigns in general
yea no. Gears 4 was so sub par no one even talks about it, compliments or insults unless prompted. That ending was Rage-tier bad, as well the entire story. Felt like it was random gameplay beats strung together with them remembering at the end 'oh yea story and cutscenes'. That ending was literally so abrupt the screen goes black 0.1 seconds after Kait finished her sentence.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
yea no. Gears 4 was so sub par no one even talks about it, compliments or insults unless prompted. That ending was Rage-tier bad, as well the entire story. Felt like it was random gameplay beats strung together with them remembering at the end 'oh yea story and cutscenes'. That ending was literally so abrupt the screen goes black 0.1 seconds after Kait finished her sentence.
The ending's not amazing, but it's a good cliffhanger for fans of the series. In that way, I can't say it's anywhere near Rage's caliber of bad abrupt ending. For fans, you look at that symbol, recognize it, and realize the implication of Kait's grandmother owning a locust medallion. It's not perfect, but considering how great the buildup was to the final battle (even if the boss is piss-easy), I was fine with the game ending on a note like that. Gears 5 focusing more on Kait was a good move.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
RE: Gears 4 campaign

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/gears-of-war-4/critic-reviews

I think people forget that Gears of War 4 had an 84% metacritic score, with only a handful of outlier reviews dragging it down.

I mean, I didn't forget it reviewed well. But man I was so completely unentertained that I still haven't even finished it. I genuinely just couldn't bring myself to keep playing. Got probably 3/5 I think. I was just. so. bored. Never had that experience with 1, 2, 3, or heck even Judgement. Idk why, but the completely plastic, xbox-commercial-with-super-identifiable-with-mid-twenties-young-adults type characters did not help at all. Earlier gears games were dumb, b movie, over the top silly, awesome action that took itself seriously. They knew what they were and they were proud of it. Gears 4 feels embarrassed to be gears, never, ever setting tonal consistency, one moment serious, the next moment just literal clever funny Twitter exchanges. Not to mention abysmal pacing, with so much shit taking WAY. TOO. LONG. to happen and other good moments being super short. It has so much bloat to it. It takes so long for anything in the story to happen EVER. Rarely can I even think of encounters. I can literally remember like, four out of what I played. Gears 1, which I'm not even the hugest fan of cuz I think it's wonky and hasn't aged well, as a bunch of different encounters I could name right off. Same with Gears 2 and 3 which are both excellently paced in terms of action and story.

Unless you just completely, utterly, do not care about story in these games, and just completely ignore it, and some how get through all the fucking "Deebee" (see man this bullshit; fucking "deebees" man) robot sections which suck ass because they are just not fun to fight, then yeah unless you can ignore like, all of that, then genuinely I can't tell how someone would enthusiastically like Gears 4.

I'm not even alone. I see "bland" thrown around when discussed Gears 4 and it's the perfect word to describe it. It's so sterile. I can't understand why someone would genuinely like the game.

If you didnt like the Gears 4 campaign I can only assume you dont like Gears campaigns in general

See above. I fucking LOVED gears 2 and 3. Hell I didn't mind judgement. 3's DLC campaign was even good. Time hasn't been kind to 1 imo, but it's still an enjoyable experience, some wonky checkpoints aside.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people post scores to change people's mind about a game, rather to highlight how hyperbolic some opinions are. When someone says that the campaign can't possibly be worse than Gears 4's, the implication is that it was absolutely awful, where that simply isn't the case. Perhaps it wasn't as good as the other mainline releases, but it was still mostly solid, and the review aggregate highlights that.

This is a bit silly. Lots of games/movies/etc. get high reviews at the time and then much later on are pretty much universally "meh"d upon. Take Bioshock Infinite as the classic example. While some still like the game, in general, most opinion of the game is far, far, far below the dozens upon dozens of 10/10s it got. It was kind of stupid.

There are so many things that can factor into a game getting good scores. It all depends on what people judge against. Was it, hey this would have been great if Epic and Cliffy had made it? idk we don't know because that's not how it was reviewed. Instead, it was reviewed as "Can these developers make a gears game? Oh they did? Sweet good job." But here in this thread people are comparing it, without exception, to the games before. In my opinion, sure, for a new studio making their first game taking on a mega successful franchise, they did a-ok. But at the same time...it really does not hold up well and I don't think reviews would have been as kind to it if Epic had been the ones to make it.

Plus, review scores don't equal consensus. There are plenty of instances where reviewers kinda panned a game, but the community loved it, and vice versa. You're just not really allowing for any of this nuance in what you're saying. Just saying "well it got an 84 so it was a good game so lol you're being hyperbolic" is just utterly silly.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope ya'll not liking Gears 4 campaign don't think Judgement was good.

Cuz yuck.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

This is kind of funny when you recall Halo 4 also absolutely intended and succeeded in being pretty safe. They wanted to follow up to Reach, and pretty much did that while also trying to add the books in. They did a horrible job, but that's kind of the point. Just because you "intend on being safe" doesn't absolve you of criticism for making a boring, bland, unfun game.

This is literally not true. I'm actually astonished. What?

Deebees so unrelentingly dull and awful and boring to fight. It's literally not the same enemies. "Basically the same" my actual ass.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call it great. There was a few sections, particularly those fighting the robots that just seemed to drag on. Overall it was pretty good.
Yeah the robots and the tower defense gameplay just wasn't Gears, imo. Fortunately it picked up halfway through with the swarm. In the end I thought it was a good campaign.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Funny how things can be so different, I jumped in late on Halo and thought Halo 4 was better than Halo 1-3 which just felt old and dated.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i wonder if someone's reaction to this will be "lol they have to list the ways it's different because its so hard to tell" as though this is not a boilerplate article format that comes out all the time for vastly varying games.