Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
It's kinda obvious
iqA3Pfj.jpg

dACDKyo.jpg

Its really scary that a CEO has no self awareness (i mean its Randy) to realize that this tired argument of "another launcher" is so stupid.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It looks better than Borderlands 2 yeah, but having played that one recently I can say I'm not impressed, at all.
Yea same here. There is definitely a graphical improvement but it's just they appear to have reused a lot of assets from previous entries in the environments. To me it just looks like a lot of the environments are the same assets at a much higher resolution/quality which is really disappointing.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Looks good, since the graphics aren't a huge upgrade wonder if it will be playable on Switch

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yea same here. There is definitely a graphical improvement but it's just they appear to have reused a lot of assets from previous entries in the environments. To me it just looks like a lot of the environments are the same assets at a much higher resolution/quality which is really disappointing.
Borderlands has a clear visual style both in its overall look and enviornments. It's post apocalyptic. If you don't like the look fine, but don't try to call out "asset reuse" if you have no idea what you're the talking about.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if they're going for such a stylized visuals they need to stylize everything. Lighting, particles and all that. I'm geting Jump Force vibes from it but that's on the extreme end.

See ironically I think them trying to look better graphically is actually hurting the style but then you'd have even more people freaking out.

Although I will say Ive always struggled with visual depth in borderlands 2 so better lighting well help me practically when I pick it up (assuming this comes to Steam).

Still, even if the lighting matched the cartoony style, there's also the bigger environments, more detailed models, etc.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Anyone saying this looks the same as BL2 is crazy.

Watch the BL2 trailer and it looks a lot rougher than the BL3 trailer. The improvements in lighting alone are huge.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I feel insane reading these comments about no generational leap. I literally have been playing bl2 recently and this is leaps and bounds better looking.

It's a celshaded stylized game. What were you guys expecting? Is that suddenly not a legitimate stylistic decision?

Same thing with Crackdown 3. People showed comparison between it and first and seriously said it looked the same. What?? Every texture, all the lighting, and polygon count of literally everything was orders of magnitude better.

People seem to really struggle to differentiate between graphics fidelity and artstyle.
This. People are crazy saying that this "looks like Borderlands 2". It looks like what they remember of Borderlands 2.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Trailer was boring until the middle part where they showed all the different areas etc.
They should have cut 90% of the fluff before and after.

Other than that, I'm very intrigued

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Clearly not the case, but okay

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with those saying the graphics criticisms are based on nostalgia, I played a good chunk of BL2 in the past six months at 4k on PC and while there's certainly improvements to some of the models, shading, and lighting in BL3, the overall look is definitely not showing much of an upgrade from the sequel. I imagine it's also a major development challenge upgrading the overall aesthetic wrt character designs that both retains the feel of the first two games while looking like a big leap graphically on top of that. Or it could just be a budget decision :shrugs

Regardless that was a hype trailer and I'll definitely be there day one.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, this doesn't look amazing but as long as it plays fine, i'm good.

1800checkerboard at 60fps would be amazing.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This. People are crazy saying that this "looks like Borderlands 2". It looks like what they remember of Borderlands 2.

To be fair I had this same situation with some remasters like Halo 2 Anniversary. I was like man this doesn't seem like such a huge leap OH HOLY CRAP IT IS. In that case the remaster was just so faithful it matched my memory. And it seems crazy if you see screenshots next to each other, but I get the phenomenon.

Still, I feel like people by this point should be able to be more objective. Like with the crackdown 3 example even when shown comparisons people couldn't see the generational leap there. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I dont really understand why people say it looks exactly like Borderlands 2. It definately isnt.
Looks good to me.

Cant say I am a fan of this... hyping up an event like no ones business.. and leave with "get more info next week"

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Playable? Maybe. Don't hold your breath for a Switch version though.

Also how isn't it a huge upgrade lmao, have you seen Borderlands 2?
TBH I can't really see a difference but I'm sure in person it will be more apparent, plus, cel shaded games kinda look samey even when they are upgraded unfortunatly

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I am giddy at this plus the other news too like for BL2 VR. This is straight to #1 as my most anticipated title.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands has a clear visual style both in its overall look and enviornments. It's post apocalyptic. If you don't like the look fine, but don't try to call out "asset reuse" if you have no idea what you're the talking about.
I'm not talking about a similar aesthetic. I'm talking about environments using the same assets as prior entries (the big/swamp from BL2 DLC, the big fire breathing skag Head, the desert environment, the material art for the hobbled together structures). You can maintain an aesthetic without recycling assets from past entries to the degree the appear to have done in this trailer. At the end, as someone who recently replayed BL2, the result is disappointing despite the sizeable graphical fidelity bump.

So no I understand what I'm talking about when I say "asset reuse" and no having a general series aesthetic doesn't excuse asset reuse. Just look at the huge differences in assets and environments between 1 and 2. That's what I expected to see with 3 and that's not what I saw outside of a brief snippet of a big city environment.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I will probably buy this one. I honestly softened on gearbox with them having the devs interviewed and not just Randy Pitchford doing his spill. The game looks cool too. I hope it releases by 2019. i will be shocked if it goes into 2020. Not shocked like i didn't see it coming but shocked like you've gotta be kidding me...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Anyone saying this looks the same as BL2 is crazy.

Watch the BL2 trailer and it looks a lot rougher than the BL3 trailer. The improvements in lighting alone are huge.

We don't need to compare trailers; we can boot up Borderlands 2 as it is right now and there isn't much of a visual leap to speak of when compared to the trailer. Maybe some godrays/fog/lighting improvements? Some smoother edges and revised approach to the black accents on objects? I can't say I see much more than that here. Which is okay, though not necessarily what I was hoping for. Not going to impact my decision to buy.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like its straight off a 360 lol

Edit: It looks old. Yes, a 360 couldn't run it. Don't @ me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Having Gaige and Maya as NPCs is gonna be surreal.

Gaige better be in the game. Worst designed character in terms of gameplay but my favorite BL2 personality and visual design.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
We don't need to compare trailers; we can boot up Borderlands 2 as it is right now and there isn't much of a visual leap to speak of when compared to the trailer. Maybe some godrays/fog/lighting improvements? Some smoother edges and revised approach to the black accents on objects? I can't say I see much more than that here. Which is okay, though not necessarily what I was hoping for. Not going to impact my decision to buy.

And you'd be objectively wrong.

You just listed a bunch of improvements and then simultaneously tried to minimize them by saying "it's not much."

Easiest/Quickest comparison I could make. This assumes the cut scene model is the same as the in-game.

5EeRJvo.jpg

If that is just a small jump from BL2 than I think you're expectations for a big jump might be unrealistic.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll can we like, actually talk about how the game looks beyond whether we think it looks impressive? The game was never going to focus on that, whether or not you disagree. For me, the lighting improved and the sense of visual depth is there more than the previous two, which will mean less headaches and disorientation for me yay!

Like, dude I think the character design and enemy design are like, far, far better than BL2 (which itself was far far better than 1). I love how much more colorful things are. I love that a lot of the characters look far less bland. The environments seem to have wayyyyy more variance than before too. This makes me really excited because even having only played about 20 hours of BL2 or so, boy am I already tired of the bland environments. Loving what I'm seeing here.

Really hope this comes to steam.