• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
MGS V had me so hyped, i got the day of work for that, played like a madman for hours as soon as the game unlocked, it was raining that night i remember every moment from those starting hours.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Dragon Quest VIII. Bought for the demo of FFXII. Instead I was blown away. Really it's my introduction to DQ and it managed to make me fall in love with it. I also felt it was better than FFXII.
This. It was the only game where I would stay up late at night just to continue playing the game. Remember beating the game and dealing with some of the post-game Dragon bosses in the Dragovian Valley/Trials (don't remember what the place was called). The last dragon I remember beating was the Gold Dragon and that was a few years after the release of the PS3 and going to the PS2's version of DQVIII.

Last edited:

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Back before Demon's Souls had a western launch, but everyone outside of Asia was dying to get their hands on it. Acquiring the Chinese version because, other than the box art, it had English options. The sense of exploration and caution throughout the community was something really special.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Pardon the commentary, but this is the only video of the ending cinematic of Wing Commander 3 that I can find. Beating this game and getting this ending.

Also, I remember when my brother and me got Gameboys with our own copies of Tetris from my grandfather. It was the last thing I remember from him before he passed (I was like 3 or 4 years old at the time).

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
started playing Everquest just going around the starting area Qeyons(few months after game launched) when some guy in red plate armor and had a claw weapon came around and gave a bunch of us newbies magic combine weapons, ring mail armor and bags.

He then told us to kill willow wisp and collect the greater light stone and told us about a zone where we could sell them for a lot of money.

It was far away in Freeport and after a few hours he offered to guide us there. It was one of the craziest and coolest experiences I ever had in a game. We had to go thru zones that were way over out lvl, dark scary caves and forest. It was all worth it and now tops my gaming moments.

Hummel003

Mar 23, 2020
Xbox 360 launch and i had no pre order. But i wanted the console so bad. So i installed myself in front of a store and when the doors opened we ran with a group of people into the store. On the way some people fell down. Was just a funny thing to do and most of all i had a console! Coolest launch ever for me.

Second i remember OOT like it was yesterday. This game left some impact on me

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I'm living that now.

My in-person work hours got cut by more than half, but still getting paid for the full 40 hours...for now (luckily).

Finally got the time to play and beat Xenoblade 2 after owning it since launch. Put in about 160 hours into it in a two week time span. Going through Torna now, all in time for the Definitive Edition.

Thanks virus. Feel sorry for those that got horribly impacted, but it's been great for me.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Playing hours and hours straight of MOH:AA competitive multiplayer. Spending hours and hours with my clan learning new tactics, new spots to use, everything we could to win and climb the clanbase tournament ladders.
Every match was so intense, mostly when you are left alone on a 5on5 match with every team mate spectating on you.

I will never forget those times, and I never had other gaming moments like this.
Miss clanbase.org <3

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Christmas 2000. I was 14. When we were younger, our Christmas plans were always completely packed, but that year it was just my parents and my siblings due to everyone's plans getting turned upside-down through some stuff that affected our extended family (nothing bad). One of my presents was Final Fantasy IX. I had the entire day to myself, so I probably put 8-10 hours into it. That was a divine Christmas.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of stand out moments but the most revalatory is probably the first time I played Mech Assault on the the OG Xbox with Xbox Live. I had played games with people online before but I had never used voice chat. Talking to people all over world while playing video games completely blew my mind when I hooked it up on Christmas. I miss those days with chatty game lobbies but it seems like it's either everyone muted or someone screaming.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time and Halo 3.

For Ocarina, I got it Christmas morning. I was able to play for a little while and then we had to hop in the car for a multi-day trip to visit the fam. I knew my cousins had a n N64, so I brought the cart along. I was barely able to play Ocarina during that trip, but the main memory I have is doing the garden sneaking section in Hyrule castle. My grandpa and my cousins were egging me on, causing me to continually mess up. Young me was so pissed, but today I find it pretty hilarious.

Halo 3 hype was intense. That was the BIG GAME for everyone in my friend group. I was chugging game fuel like a fiend. I remember on launch day, I went to the Wal-Mart across from my high school and picked up 3 copies, one for me and 2 for friends who were just under age. We had a track meet or something that night, so none of us could actually play online that day. But we all had copies of the game.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
If I specificly stay to moment I can describe with precision to you (otherwise, there too many, mostly about N64 games) :
  • Having to use a PC with internet at high school to watch MGS 2 gameplay video priors to release
  • The day I randomly discovered GTA III existence at a booth on a multimedia store (yes, available to anyone, kids included)
I was supposed to buy the PS2 for MGS II (released march 2002 in Europe, I don't miss region release...) but already planned my saving (multiple christmas and birthday) so I was ready after new year 2002. So I bought my PS2 (3 month earlier) and GTA III became my first PS2 game (remembered clearly the buying moment too, never had that amount of cash in my hand before, it was monopoly day :D ) and I played this game so much.

in a more negative memory the back to back crushing disappointments of MGSV and Fallout 4 changed the way i anticipate anything and killed my interest in gaming for months
MGSV and No Man's Sky for me, in less than a year, I was so hyped for both.
I doesn't have hype anymore on any specific game now.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
The Dreamcast.
I never cheered more for a console than the Dreamcast. Every EGM gold medal - and there were a lot - brought so much joy in my heart.
The dreadful PS1/N64/Saturn hardware era was over!

Sega was on fire (later I would discover a lot of those games weren't particularly very good - like Sonic and even Skyes of Arcadia [shoot me]).

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox 360 launch was so exciting. The console itself. Xbox Live and the blades UI felt like such a huge leap for a console. PGR3 and Call of Duty 2 being incredible launch games. The opening months and years with Gears of War and Halo 3 in particular really piercing out of the usual gaming spheres into general entertainment culture. COD4, BioShock, Fallout 3 etc following after..

The first 2-3 years of the Xbox 360 might be my favourite ever time in gaming.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Skyrim and Modern Warfare 2 were just crazy times in marketing land.

Bloodborne was the darling of message boards (Project Beast).

Personally, I was pretty hyped with Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Bioshock Infinite.

In terms of consoles, the only I pre-ordered: PS2. Even if it was to play Kessen or Dynasty Warriors 2.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I remember Halo 1 and 2'a word of mouth was insane. Internet wasn't big but kids on the bus wouldn't stop talking about running riots on warthogs.

I remember Nintendo's dominance in the console market. Getting one was truly special.

I remember 2013's E3 - that was a real moment. I watched the reveal live. I couldn't believe what I heard, what was said. Even I, the mosthardcore of all Xbox gamers, wanted a PlayStation. I eventually got my first one in 2016 because of robot Dino's and spidey

May 13, 2018
The hype I had for GTA V. I haven't felt hype like that for a game since. I remember constantly re-watching the gameplay video they dropped in July 2013. Most of what I played in 2013 up until GTA V's release was GTA IV.

That was a great time.

May 13, 2018
I remember Halo 1 and 2'a word of mouth was insane. Internet wasn't big but kids on the bus wouldn't stop talking about running riots on warthogs.

My freshman year of high school is when Halo 3 came out. I didn't have a 360 yet, so the FOMO was crazy. I remember one kid getting on the bus and sitting next to another kid and he pulled a 48hr Xbox Live Gold card out of his backpack. He gave it to the other kid and he was so giddy and said "I need this" like it was a COVID-19 vaccine.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Seeing the 360 kiosk in my local Best Buy playing CoD 2 was so cool. The next gen had arrived.

Playing FF7 as a 12 year old boy in my room on a Commodore 64 monitor was a moment in time I wish I could go back to re-experience.

I remember all my friends skipped school to play GTA 3 on launch day. They all got ISS.

Playing Halo CE 4 player multi in my friends basement was amazing. I remember I'd just got a GameCube a few weeks earlier. I sold it to buy an Xbox as soon as I could. The 6th gen was amazing. Truly the golden age of gaming for me.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
one that sticks out to me was wwf no mercy for the n64. that game seemed perfect, even despite the better presentation of the ps2 games (fmv titantron videos, better quality music etc.).
reason it stands out is because of the bug that wiped save data and so i had to mail in my copy of the game only for it to return fixed and minus blood. what a weird time.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Halo 2, My parents had actually bought it for me for Christmas, but they had to cancel the layaway for it because I traded in a bunch of games and got it probably a week after release. I played the shit out of the single player, and brought my xbox to school to play multiplayer with friends. It was just such a whirlwind of a game release and everything around it was great, walking home to go to 7-11 and get the slurpee cups, the figures that came out... I loved every bit of it.

Only thing that came close afterwards was Wrath of the Lich King, my friend got into the Beta but didn't want to play it, so I was playing on his account and just enjoying all the new features and being max level(I was only level 44 during 2.4.2) I vividly remember jumping around on the motorcycle mount in Ice Crown checking out the new zones... Then during the pre-patch I managed to get to 60, played the Demo for it and got to 60 99% and then got the game for Christmas. My friends and I in College all played on the same server at the time, and all of the dungeons and playing was just so fun. I remember the New Years Eve Lan Party my friend had and we all did a gnome run to Thunder Bluff, and then ran a ton of DTK and Gundrak.

OP
OP
Jerm411

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Playing hours and hours straight of MOH:AA competitive multiplayer. Spending hours and hours with my clan learning new tactics, new spots to use, everything we could to win and climb the clanbase tournament ladders.
Every match was so intense, mostly when you are left alone on a 5on5 match with every team mate spectating on you.

I will never forget those times, and I never had other gaming moments like this.
Miss clanbase.org <3

Similar memories except for CS 1.5 / 1.6, man the hours lol....

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life 2 launch day. I was working nights and was damn tired when I finished my shift. But I was determined to wait until the game store opened at 9am to pick it up. I was not even sure if my PC would be able to run it... I was so excited when I finally unwrapped it and put the disc in the tray.
Oh my goodness the game looked so good. I had been hyped for ages waiting to play this game.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
I will always remember playing through Jak 3 and when it was revealed that ottsels were the precursor race, kid me was MIND BLOWN haha remember literally screaming "holy shit" at the tv

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-my dad taking me to best buy to get a ps1 and a copy of crash bandicoot 3...because i learned how to tie my shoes
-rainy days playing donkey kong country 2 and super mario world with my sisters. I loved the games and played them to death, but they really showed me where all of the secrets were
-buying spiderman web of shadows and burnout paradise after my first REAL break-up. I was dumped and in 2009 those games helped to pull me out of that hurt
-the midnight launch of the ps4, and being the first one let in to pick up my pre order, after waiting for 3 hours in the cold
-the midnight launch of the xbox one. I didnt buy one at launch but i went to the microsoft store launch with my friends who pre-ordered and had a great time
-discovering my love of sim racing games after buying forza motorsport 2 on a whim in highschool.
-getting forza motorsport 3 for christmas with the giant xbox 360 force feedback steering wheel and pedals
-watching E3 2011-2017 with my friends. We had made a tradition out of it and it included a lot of junk food, hype, and dissapointed.
-playing jak and daxter in my old house on ps2 on a warm summer evening. I had gotten out of the pool not long before that and the Orange sun set was shining through the window while i played.
-playing super smash bros melee for the first time with someone who was a bully to me, but my mom and his mom made us hang out to "talk out our problems" in third grade. We just played a shit ton of melee.
-the hype and anticipation leading up to mass effect 2. I was in love with the first game and i spent the time leading up to 2 devouring any morsel of information that I could. The day it came out finally came. I made my sister go to gamestop with me so they would sell me my pre order since i was under 17. I played all of that friday evening, over night, then All of saturday.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1980? - Going to the laundromat doesn't sound exciting but when you're a kid and Galaxian's there, that's another story.

1982 - My uncle buys this new high end game system called ColecoVision. I was blown away. It felt like having arcade games at home.

1984 - At Chuck E. Cheese's, I would duel with my uncle in Karate Champ at the arcade there. Even the existence of the fighting genre was cool back then. Later on we would have two-player football battles with 4th & Inches on Commodore 64.

1986 - Early NES commercials. It has a fucking robot!

1986? - Kids putting strip poker games on the school's C64s and turning the monitors off when teachers were looking.

1988 - A crowd gathers in a store to try out 3d glasses for Maze Hunter 3D.

1989? - Being sugar/caffeine-fuelled and playing two-player Blades of Steel on NES for seven hours straight.

1989 - The new system launches were exciting: playing Game Boy at a kiosk at The Bay, seeing Keith Courage for TurboGrafx on display at Compucentre, and that first Genesis commercial.

1990 - There's a Devil's Crush TG16 competition in the mall. My friend and I competed and he won a gift certificate which he used to buy Dead Angle for the Sega Master System.

1992 - Sonic 2sday. It's hard to imagine now but having an exact release day for a game for amazing, and this was for the sequel to one of the best games ever made.

1995 - Renting and beating Snatcher for Sega CD in one sitting.

1995 - Winning a contest invite to a Yoshi's Island unveiling event by Nintendo. It felt weird being probably the oldest non-parent there but it was still neat. The friend I brought won a copy of Breath of Fire there.

1996 - Trying to beat Resident Evil on PS1 without a memory card. Now that's survival horror.

1996 - I'm nervously killing time at Electronics Boutique before a date. Waverace 64 recently came out and I'm playing it on a demo unit. The date went well as we're happily married over 23 years later.

1997 - Buying a new Virtual Boy on clearance at EB for $30 CDN along with $2 games.

1998 - Inadvertently converting a Silent Generation uncle into a hardcore gamer after installing Shadow Warrior on his new PC.

The list is getting too big so I will stop before the 2000s.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Finishing Ocarina of time there was an ending credits and you see everyone you have interacted during your adventure it was a very special moment.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first moment I loaded up Everquest on my dial up as a freshmen in high school.

The moment it dawned on me that this was an ENTIRE WORLD rendered in 3D that I could play in with my friends blew my fucking mind. That summer me and my friends would basically rotate 8 hour shifts of playing this game. My cousin even slept all day so that he could play all night (I was the only person with a computer so we all played on the same one). Eventually a few other people got computer so we could play at the same time!

That summer they tore the road up in front of my house and me and my friends would build huge bike ramps from the dirt while we weren't playing. The hours in Everquest and the fun of that summer were probably some of the best days of my life I'd imagine. Just great memories of being with my friends and playing such a mind blowing game.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The first is The Burning Crusade....I had been dating my now wife for a little while, we had just started living together. I was already into WoW and so was her sister and her boyfriend at the time (now her husband). I got my wife into the game and we were all looking forward to the launch, we set up at our house and just played our asses off. None of us had kids at the time and outside of work (which we all took time off for lol) no real responsibilities. Man what a time...wish I could go back to that. It was a more simple time and just all of us having fun.
The first time seeing both the Pit Lord and a Fel Reaver was pretty tense for me. I loved the crap out of Burning Crusade.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with those saying the early days of Phantasy Star Online. Specifying the "early days" is necessary because hackers totally ruined what was one of the best online gaming experiences a month or so after launch.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Figuring out that you could get unlimited skull keys in Minoc in Ultima V by following Shenstone's schedule, and then go to LB's castle and get magic axes from the chests for all my dudes by sleeping for an hour or two each time. It was my first exploit ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
The day the N64 was set up (probably at christmas since that's usually when we'd get consoles/games) and when Mario 64 started. It was the first 3D game we played. We never had a computer and the only consoles we had before that were a nes, snes and a gameboy.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I had to jump through some crazy hoops to play the MGS2 demo when ZoE launched, was so worth it

I played the Midgar section of FF7 probably 30 times because I didnt have a memory card yet. Needless to say, when I finally made it to the overworld after buying a cheap memory card it was revelatory

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Another one: Taking turns at a friends house playing Star Fox on SNES to Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral. Super 90s. Playing Corneria to "March of the Pigs" is pretty insane.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
For something a bit more old-school:

Growing up, my mom stayed at home and my dad worked a 9 to 5 job. So I basically never saw my dad during the day. Once, in I think 1st grade, I stayed home sick from school and for whatever reason (I honestly don't remember why) my mom was gone that day and so my dad stayed home with me. He also rented me Mega Man 5 for NES so I'd have something to play and help me feel better.

To this day, I have this strong visceral memory of playing through Mega Man 5, and for some reason Wave Man's stage in particular, while being at home sick with my dad. Even the music of that stage beings me back to that day.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Shenmue. I never thought much of it when I read about it, thought it was a boring life simulator of some kind, but when I played it for the first time I was hooked.

Phantasy Star Online. I've always been and still is a single player type of guy, but PSO was exciting because online gaming on console was something new. I played lots and lots of that game, not even owning the keyboard at the time, and felt special when doing it.

Halo. I wasn't that interested in FPS at the time, when pre-ordering the Xbox for the European launch I was mostly interested in Project Gotham Racing after playing Metropolis Street Racer on my Dreamcast. But I bought Halo and of course it blew me away. I was amazed by this game. The graphics, the amazing gameplay, the soundtrack. Bungie created a masterpiece and saved Microsoft's console at the same time.

Alan Wake. It's ten years ago in May. Despite weaknesses in the combat I still think AW is the best game Remedy has created so far, much thanks to the great atmosphere, the goofy and likeable characters, the graphics and not least the soundtrack. This game almost made me scare of the dark when going for a run in the evenings.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
There's a bunch, but I think the top 3 that stand out are:

- Final Fantasy 7 launch. Getting the call 3 days early that my pre-order was ready, literally trembling with anticipation as my parents drove me to FuncoLand to pick it up, and just the pure hype of that unspoiled first playthrough, where I made it a point to play faster than my friends so they couldn't ruin anything. It's the most excited I've ever been for any kind of media.

- Tekken 4 showing up at Playland. I'd always wanted to be part of an arcade community but never really had the chance in high school. Freshman year of college, I played some TTT, but the game was really old by then, nothing to discover. Second day sophomore year of college, I was there when Tekken 4 was first wheeled in, and it was amazing being part of that scene from the beginning. Discovering everything when it was brand new, waiting anxiously each week for new character unlock day, it was a great experience, and the Playland scene ended up becoming my main group of friends for pretty much the rest of college.

- First Soul Calibur 2 travel tournament. There's more good SC2 experiences than I could ever write up, but I think the first out of town tournament was the best one. It was March 2003 I think, and our local crew went out together, fully expecting to get crushed. We didn't get crushed, we actually did really well, and the whole experience was awesome. Made me fall in love with the FGC, and it's been a pretty huge part of my life ever since.

Edit - Throw in one more super obscure one, Subspace Pro League was event viewing, but my all time favorite match was the 2.5 hour marathon Harvester of Sorrow vs ONE match in the season 2 playoffs. It culminated in a team kill for the win to allow absolute good (HoS) to triumph over absolute evil (ONE), and trixter (0) killed by: Shiner will be forever ingrained in my memory.

Last edited:

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I have a few moments I'll never forget, but my biggest were in Counter Strike.
The first time I played it, I stayed up with guys in my dorm and we would play all night for quite a while. Then I got invited to join a clan, another fun moment. Then a competitive team. Then playing in the CAL up to Main. This one game single-handed kept me dominantly a PC gamer for many years. When GO was announced, a big part of me wanted to jump back in, but I know I'd get hooked (hell Valorant looks like a blast too).

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
The first console I bought with my own money was an Xbox 360. I bought it about a year or so after it came out. I saved all of my money and managed to get one with Gears of War.

Then, that night, I tipped the console over and it destroyed my copy, lol. I was able to replace the game.

I did get a Wii for Christmas when it came out and that was great, especially since my mom did the whole 'come back in the room with one more gift' routine.

Xbox One launch was great for me. I waited outside my GameStop and secured one. I remember loving Dead Rising and Ryse. I saw The Hunger Games later, too. Fun day.

Smash 4 launch was great. I went amiibo hunting and got my deluxe edition at midnight.

Switch launch with BotW was incredible. The hype was insane and I was waiting feverishly at the window for UPS. I took the day off work.

There is a lot. Hopefully I can get a new one when PS5/XSX come out.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
-The giant multiple-TV displays in Best Buy showing Super Mario 64 being played on the demo kiosk. You could see that screen from the parking lot.

-Experiencing Pokemon Gold/Silver for the first time on a bolted down Game Boy Color that I had to hunch over to see properly. (Was still completely enamored.)

-The leadup to Crisis Core's release. I'd never been this excited for a game before, having only just played Final Fantasy VII for the first time recently. (I really hope they eventually just redesign Genesis and get rid of any references to Gackt so it can get a proper HD remaster it deserves.)

-Playing KOTOR almost nonstop when my parents finally got a computer good enough to handle it. Then starting another playthrough the second I finished (several times) to try new mods but also just cause I loved everything about it so much.

-Similarly, spending a summer doing little else than just playing Final Fantasy X. Spent a LOT of time level grinding, to the point where my mom wearily told me she was absolutely sick of the battle theme.

-Getting a Nintendo 64 for Christmas and, after seeing the infamous "kid gets a N64 for Christmas" video, thought for a split second that was me.

-Getting a PS2 even though we hadn't really asked for one (we were Nintendo kids), and then staying up all night playing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (because it was a PS1 game and we didn't have a memory card).

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I've had fond memories with Resident evil 1 and 2 with my friends and family when they first came out. We all took turns playing and trying to solve puzzles together.

Playing n64 wrestling games like WCW Revenge for hours with friends on the weekends.

Going to the arcade for the first time and seeing games like Street fighter 2 and Mortal kombat. I use to go there after school just to watch people play.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Playing this game for the first time and staring in awe that they managed to make Metroid work in 3D

220px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

Seeing this for the first time

10408420-16x9-large.jpg

Moving Mario around for the first time in Mario 64

N64_01.gif

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Vividly.

tumblr_p90kciLC481w1kerio1_400.gif

There is so many for me, going WAYYYYY back to playing an Tetris on game boy on a giant game boy/TV standee as a kid.

retial_display.JPG

I was always lurking in game stores when I was younger, which landed me working in an indie game store across launches of GameCube/GBA/Xbox/Xbox Live launches, Halo 2 midnight launch, PSP launch, DS launch. Felt like I was part of a golden time of gaming and I felt very luck to have a job in the industry, hell I even got a chance to goto ECTS and represent the store, got to see Metal Gear Solid 3 and my mind was blown watching the trailer.

Also I have to shout out GameTrailers for always having great stuff on that site when it was around and EvilBoris, specifically us sneaking into a college campus library so we could download and watch a real player trailer/clip of Halo 2, I'm sure it was Halo 2.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Duke 3D on PS1 while listening to Brimful of Asha on loop was a magical time that I look upon with great fondness.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While taking field geology, another classmate and I were hyped and discussed how we were going to enjoy Skyrim when we got back home from a weekend field excursion on the tail end of Marble Mountains in San Bernardino County near Cadiz; the game launched the day we left.

I'm cheating, this is a multiple moments in time regarding one specific play session in 2004. I remembered playing Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal online for the first time and being owned by other people. Shortly thereafter, the Insomniac Games community pointed out that there were videos on Gamespot featuring a few of the community in the video, myself included of which I've saved across computers. Years later I learned that the person behind the persona that beat me was Jeff Gerstmann.