Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're back at it again:

Here are the bullet points I noted. I recommend you watching the full video for all the details:

- Lighting and reflections engine is on point. The game seems very pretty and detailed overall.
- Charge ability is still present.
- New ability: the plunger gun
- You can seamlessly change between flashlight and the plunger gun and immediately shoot even if you were flashing the ghost.
- Another new ability for the Poltergust 6000: the sudden jet-pack that allows Luigi to jump above obstacles.
- All rooms are reminescent of a Hotel, and it seems quite obvious that the game actually takes place within a giant hotel (despite being called Luigi's Mansion). It also seems to be, as people expected, one single location exploration like the original rather than multiple places like in 2.
- There's what seems to be a light sensor like those in Luigi's Mansion 2 in the main lobby, confirming their appearances once again.
- There seems to be a diamond very reminescent of those in the first game in one scene of the trailer.
- While the trailer made it looks like Luigi is entering the hotel by the front door, it doesn't seem to actually be the case. Luigi is actually entering through a back door and the front door seems to have been condemned.
- There seems to be more interaction with items physics than ever before.
- There's a car in the trailer that's absolutely identical to the one in LM2, and with the confirmation of Polterpup, this does seem to take place right after 2.
- That one may be a bit of a stretch but you can see a purple diamond near the top of the hotel, reminescent of the one of King Boo and could mean that it's actually his hotel that we're exploring.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Nice that Nintendo is making first party games again & we can get this excellent content!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
There are some concerns in the Youtube comments (yes, I do check them):
  • The 5 x 7 grids on the shelves at the Reception Desk hints the entire game has 5 stages.
  • The concern is that the game is linearly-structured, so you need to complete 1 stage to progress to the next stage. The last stage may be the 6th stage, or Stage 5,
  • They worried it's not an open-world exploration (or open-building), which is you exploring to the top of the hotel and back down to the lower levels without anything blocking you from doing so.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They missed one thing

When Luigi comes in he's probably shocked because the front entrance has been locked

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I'll never forget their hard work on the E3 BotW special.

Nicely done guys, definitely excited for this game

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • The 5 x 7 grids on the shelves at the Reception Desk hints the entire game has 5 stages.
  • The concern is that the game is linearly-structured, so you need to complete 1 stage to progress to the next stage. The last stage may be the 6th stage, or Stage 5,
  • They worried it's not an open-world exploration (or open-building), which is you exploring to the top of the hotel and back down to the lower levels without anything blocking you from doing so.
I hope its not open world. Not everything has to be completely open, I really loved the level design in LM2 and I hope its similar to that or the original.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
tfw you see GX somehow made a half-hour-long video out of a 30-second teaser

luigis_mansion_3_1920.0.png

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lowering my expectations to this. The hotel looks super segmented in the logo shot, easily divisible into themed sections

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Drive-by Post
A reminder why I will never watch this channel and added it to my videoblocker addon.

Deleted member 16743

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to this video as soon as the Direct opened with the reveal trailer! It's a good job from GameXplain, it's impressive how much can be unpacked from a dense 38 seconds worth of footage.

Big fan of the Luigi's Mansion games.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Always impressive how much they can catch and decipher in even the shortest of video footage. An eye for the details is never a bad thing to have.

Assuming it's still a Next Level Games joint (it looks that way), I'm confident in the game turning out great.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will watch. I loved LM2. I hope the original make it to the Switch down the line

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What I appreciate most about these videos is that, while the running time might sound a bit excessive, they're all incredibly dense. It's clear a lot of time was spent analyzing and editing the original footage.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
However unlikely, I really hope this game returns to the sort of Resi-lite approach of the original rather than the segmented mission structure of the second.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
When smash ultimate comes out we're gonna get like 20 hour long discussions.

They tend to specialize in pre-release material, i.e. maximizing how many details can be squeezed out of a limited amount of footage. With released games there's no limit to the amount of footage you can take or how closely you can look at things, so their specific analysis skillset is not as critical.

What I appreciate most about these videos is that, while the running time might sound a bit excessive, they're all incredibly dense. It's clear a lot of time was spent analyzing and editing the original footage.

Oh yeah, that too. In their analysis videos they don't ramble (as opposed to, say, their improvised discussion videos), so when there's 27 minutes, you know it's actually 27 minutes of actual stuff, not them going over the same points.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
That's not a concern, that's the correct direction. Dark Moon was amazing.

Let's also not pretend Luigi's Mansion wasn't linear, definitely not open.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So? Did you play Luigi's Mansion? It's not open world and it's a short game.
Ive played both. That really has nothing to do with what I said. I didn't say anything about open world?

Im saying each of these segments could be akin to the separate mansions in LM2, as opposed to one singular mansion in LM1.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a hotel. The artwork at the end suggests that there are basically 5 different types of mansions stacked on each other. Possible even pulled from different places and magically stacked onto each other. The first section is hotel, the second is castle, etc. The second to last almost looks like a 50's diner to me, maybe it'll be futuristic themed.

But I don't think the whole theme is a hotel, it's just the first mansion.

If the hotel has 5 floors and the hotel structure appears to be the bottom-most structure then it likely means that first "mansion" just has 5 floors. And then the next "mansion" has another set of floors.

I do doubt it'll be open but either way I don't think it will just consist of those 5 hotel floors.

Oct 26, 2017
People who think this looks like a 3DS game don't understand the concept of art style.

On the contrary, it has an incredibly similar art style to the 3DS game. Obviously much more is going on visually than just an increased resolution - better shadows, lighting, reflections, shaders, more geometry etc.

But the look is still very close, to the point that certain assets are beyond "heavily inspired".

Edit: from the reveal thread:

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Ive played both. That really has nothing to do with what I said. I didn't say anything about open world?

Im saying each of these segments could be akin to the separate mansions in LM2, as opposed to one singular mansion in LM1.
First Luigi's Mansion was segmented too. You to one zone, beat the boss, go back to E Gad house, go back to the mansion let's go to the next zone. You barely go to previous zones since there are no ghosts left there.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
First Luigi's Mansion was segmented too. You to one zone, beat the boss, go back to E Gad house, go back to the mansion let's go to the next zone. You barely go to previous zones since there are no ghosts left there.
Yeah you could divide LM1 into 4 segments I suppose, but there was still backtracking. It's been a long time but I remember spending going back to the fortune teller, unlocking rooms in early game areas late in the game (like the twins' room, blowing up the moon)...

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The visuals are great, but I hope they add some new textures and materials to Luigi's model, the flat shaded colors on his outfit, skin and hair look kinda weird, especially compared to other recent Mario games.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
A reminder why I will never watch this channel and added it to my videoblocker addon.

Cool story bro.

God bless GameXplain.

And to everyone else that seemed to enjoy it--thanks! It was a labor of love that pretty much consumed the last 3 days of my life, but it was all worth it...to make that Super Mario Bros. Super Show reference.