• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Can't a better company come along and hire up the existing store employees and just replace all upper management and execs? I've always liked the people in the stores, it's the terrible rules and procedures they have to deal with which sucks. I still think a physical game store can exist, if it's run by people who really want to see it flourish.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I have no specific knowledge to back this up but I would wager that a ton of Gamestop's financial issues stem from cooperate mismanagement rather than a lack of business. Or worse, they're being sucked dry by predatory third parties like what happened to ToysRUs.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
GameStop needs to change their business model, and their attitude toward their customers base. Their whole business model is based around sucking their most loyal customers dry as much as possible lol. It doesn't work anymore and until that changes, they will see losses like this.

They need to offer more reasons for customers to come back. Recently they have been giving PUR customers $10 gift cards for buying a new release, which is really smart and I would like to see that continue.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
That's good, they made a fuckton of money by reselling used game and publisher won't get shit every time GS reseless an used copy.
Thanks to digital first, subscription model will soon hurt their business model.

Suck for the people losing job if GS is going to close, but that's business.

So because of gamespot being awfully managed we should look forward to a all digital future?
What about the 70% of physical customers worldwide, or don't they get a say because you like digital and not options for the masses

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Why would publishers get money from used game sales.

Is there any industry where this occurs?

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the amount of shit they get either. The GameSpot near me is pretty chill.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
The all digital future is not remotely close. PS5 and Scarlet will have physical media. The split will obviously become more and more noticeable but physical isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Digital will hit a saturation point and stick at that level at some stage like music and films
The collectors and buyers of physcial mefia aren't going anywhere and neither is physcial

It accounts for 70% of all games purchased worldwide

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
What happens to the trade in market if Gamestop were to close?

Ebay and Amazon are options, I guess, but that's considerably more effort than just walking in to Gamestop with a game.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article is about the loss being primarily through servicing debt. And that they had growth in most key SKU's.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Yes, i am against GS reselling games and profiting, while publishers don't get shit.
I don't resell my games for the same reason.

What??

So I shouldn't sell my kids unused toys to someone who might want them because the toymaker doesn't get money from it?

I shouldn't sell my kids too small beds to someone in need because the bedmaker isn't getting their share?

I am suddenly obliged to reimburse people for selling my own property??

What the hell kind of an idea is this?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
What happens to the trade in market if Gamestop were to close?

Ebay and Amazon are options, I guess, but that's considerably more effort than just walking in to Gamestop with a game.

Best Buy is another. Walmart may still have a program as well.

Also that post about "I don't support anything that resells and hurts the creator of the product" is a moron and you're hurting your own brain cells engaging with that lmao

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
They need to downsize which I know is a toxic word in corporate but that's the only way they'll still be around in years to come. Whenever I visit America, GameStop are like rats, everywhere. Most of those stores are most likely losing money. They need to become more local oriented, give managers more power. Partner with local businesses and have gaming events, team up with Twitch streamers, YouTubers etc make some merch and get them in stores doing meet and greets. Video games have such a tiny profit margin that they can't carry a business alone but make it the place to buy your games, work with publishers (they do need GameStop to help hype their games) to have download vouchers, V bucks promotions, be proactive. Get on top of the trends.
All this advice is also relevant to GAME.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Gamestop can survive but they gotta be smart and look for new business opportunities. I hope they stay in business. It's nice being able to offset the cost of new consoles and games through their trade in programs.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
So you think that consumers should have 0 rights regarding the products they buy, and that companies that sell products should be able to prevent any resale of physical goods? And you don't see how that's a problem at all?
I mean, it exists bevause people want and expect to recoup value from their purchases. I bet you don't have issue with people reselling cars.
Without reselling culture it would be impossible for many people to collect games, especially from previous generations. It doesn't seem like you've thought your position through very well, tbh.
Why? Do you think people shouldn't be able to sell their house either once it's created? That people shouldn't be able to sell their car?

I already explain my stance, people are free to resell their houses, cars and whatever they want, i, i'm talking about myself, i don't resell and i don't like the fact that a product can be resold, while the creator of the said product don't get shit, that's it. It's not hard to understand.

So? Where did i say i'm a collector?

You do realize the money doesn't go to the creators when you buy the game? It goes to the investors which is usually insanely rich already.

Investors are the people that actually give money to the creators to make the product, being rich or poor means nothing.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on why that is.

According to GS themselves, it's digital on the rise. Not just for new games either; a lot of their business was in selling old games for a few bucks (which added up to a lot in aggregate) but companies now have embraced giving those games away as part of GwG/PSPlus/Game Pass/EA Access/etc...

When analysts say digital is on the rise, they don't just mean digital sales of new games at launch.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's fine dude is against reselling, we're just lucky we live in a world where no one in power agrees wtih him lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
More Funko Pops! More, I say!

Funny enough, one of my worst most recent experiences at GameStop was with a Funko Pop. I'm not one of those crazy people who gets upset if they sold out of something or anything. I don't even pre-order them.

But I went there recently to see if they had a certain one I was looking for. They did -- the time frame for holding something with a pre-order was up and the employee said the system says that they had two of them. I'm like, great, I'll grab one.

He couldn't find it so he asked his co-worker who informed him they still couldn't sell them because the manager was keeping them on hold for a friend. The employee I was talking to said something about it being past the usual time frame to hold onto pre-orders before being able to sell them and the other guy shrugged and said that's what he was told to do.

This is all right in front of me so I was like, "So you have two of them, past the pre-order hold time, but you can't even sell one because your manager is holding them -- two of the same exact thing -- for a friend."

They both basically agreed it was ridiculous without saying it outright.

From my experience, that kind of thing happens at a lot of GameStop stores with everything from toys to collector's editions to the usual "taking new games home to play and reselling them as new" nonsense.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I already explain my stance, people are free to resell their houses, cars and whatever they want, i, i'm talking about myself, i don't resell and i don't like the fact that a product can be resold, while the creator of the said product don't get shit, that's it. It's not hard to understand.

No, you're not talking about yourself. You made it clear that you were talking about re-selling in a general sense rather than a personal sense.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're full of crap if you're telling me you don't resell anything you own or may own. That's the point of equity. There's no god damn way you've ever bought a car and not traded it for value back.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy is another. Walmart may still have a program as well.
They'd have to really ramp up their efforts though.

I don't think most people even know they offer it, and I don't get the impression their infrastructure is as fleshed out.

Plus I think there's a psychological difference with the big box stores. Gamestop had way more stores and it was regarded as a faster, easier process than walking all the way to the back of a Walmart with your game.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Or people collecting games.

Yes

Yes, i'm against all the type of resells that hurts the creators of the products.
Are you fucking serious?

So, what, you expect everyone who has the need for a product to buy It? The family down the street that's struggling to make ends meet, but is in desperate need of a washer and dryer should have to buy a $2000 units instead of buying the used ones from their neighbors for a half the price? Or the struggling single parent who wants to buy their child a book or you for their birthday, but is unable to afford a brand new one has to get it used?

I can't imagine living with a mindset like yours.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

What do you do when you're done with something like clothing you can't fit into or even an old car or items you've replaced with newer models like cell phones, computers, etc? Throw everything in the trash? Do you live in a junk yard? Are you a horder?

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
i find it crazy that gamestop inspires such vitriol. Are they perfect? hell no. But seriously it's not that bad. People bitch about stickers on boxes and having to listen to premium membership spiels, but none of that is really a big deal.
Haven't you heard? Gamestop single handedly killed every Era user's dog and laughed in their face. This is their punishment.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Best Buy is propped up by its investment in hardware that can't be digitized, like washers and dryers, computers, stereo systems, TVs, etc. They're way more diverse. I worked there for a number of years. It was true then and it's true now: Best Buy wouldn't exist if it weren't a retailer of big, high dollar systems, especially computers, where they make a killing on service plans.

Oh, I know. I worked at EB Games the year before they all changed their name to GameStop and I worked at Best Buy for about three years. But still, Best Buy has planned things out well. Simply selling those products doesn't guarantee survival. They've been managed well.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's dumb as hell then.
Yup.

You are the one who brought up collecting...yes I realize that in the status quo the vast majority of people don't agree with you and people do have the freedom to resell products, you just don't think that should be possible...which is bizarre

hungry muppet

Banned
Nov 5, 2018
I used to frequent this place quite a bit as a kid. I kind of regret selling my GBA games for a couple bucks, definitely not worth it. A good number of the employees were kind of scummy, as if they were trained to be like that.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The article is about the loss being primarily through servicing debt. And that they had growth in most key SKU's.
It does not say that. It actually does not explain the loss at all, which is unfortunate.

To the 8-K:

GameStop's third quarter GAAP net income (loss) was ($488.6) million, or ($4.78) per diluted share, compared to net income of $59.4 million, or $0.59 per diluted share in the prior-year quarter. Third quarter fiscal 2018 results include a non-operating, non-cash intangible asset impairment charge of $587.5 million, primarily related to goodwill and triggered by the sustained decline in the company's share price.

Excluding the non-operating impairment charges, GameStop's adjusted net income for the third quarter increased 24.0% to $68.3 million, compared to adjusted net income of $55.1 million in the prior-year quarter. Adjusted earnings per diluted share were $0.67 compared to adjusted earnings per diluted share of $0.54 in the prior-year quarter. The third quarter of fiscal 2017 included a benefit from the reduction of estimated contingent payments associated with a previous acquisition of $5.7 million before tax and $3.6 million net of tax, or $0.06 and $0.04, respectively, per diluted share.

I would not say the company is doing well. The guidance is scary. But it is not, I think, doing as badly as implied by a $500MM "net income loss" (which is not a term).

Source: https://www.bamsec.com/filing/132638018000120?cik=1326380

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
No, you're not talking about yourself. You made it clear that you were talking about re-selling in a general sense rather than a personal sense.
Yes? I'm talking about the reselling culture, i don't like it and i don't agree it.

You're full of crap if you're telling me you don't resell anything you own or may own. That's the point of equity. There's no god damn way you've ever bought a car and not traded it for value back.

I'm still saving money to get a car and no, never resold anything in my life.

What do you do when you're done with something like clothing you can't fit into or even an old car or items you've replaced with newer models like cell phones, computers, etc? Throw everything in the trash? Do you live in a junk yard? Are you a horder?

Still don't have a car, see above.
If i can't fit in clothing i either give them for free or throw them in the bin.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
They have way too many stores. Gotta close a ton of them
This is definitely part of it. I have 3 stores all within 5 miles of each other in my area, and one of them is in the huge mall we have. The others are in the same city, just short distances away. I've never understood it.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
EB Games in Canada is usually a bad experience. I hate how what should be a 3 minute trip into the store is usually more like 20-30 due to only putting one person on cash to handle a line of people trading in a bag of games (and taking every phone call) while the other employee wanders around and pretends to look busy. In an era when every other company is making things easier, quicker, and more convenient, it is insane how a company that is ostensibly modern and high tech makes every shopping experience like pulling teeth.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Digital will hit a saturation point and stick at that level at some stage like music and films
The collectors and buyers of physcial mefia aren't going anywhere and neither is physcial

It accounts for 70% of all games purchased worldwide

Yep. And hell, there are still places in America where Internet structure is not well enough to handle a digital only market.