• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
If the OP does a chargeback, and say 6 weeks later he check the gc's balance and it's still good, I'm sorry, but he's free to use it. The idea that GS at that point could turnaround and charge him is a bit outlandish. And again, if they're sophisticated enough to catch that, why wouldn't they nuke it in the first place? But InRainbows is right, wait for the chargeback to fully clear first.
They will have every right to recharge at that point is the issue and the op will have no recourse. I worked on customer facing banking for years and saw this almost exact scenario when people charged stuff back and still used the items and then were recharged and got pissed off when it was redisposed. It can easily be flagged when they audit, they will see the card has been used. Yes the card will probably be closed immediately after chargeback but if not and using down the road is playing with fire. Sadly once you have preauthed a card will a company that there really is no dispute duration.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
They will have every right to recharge at that point is the issue and the op will have no recourse. I worked on customer facing banking for years and saw this almost exact scenario when people charged stuff back and still used the items and then were recharged and got pissed off when it was redisposed. It can easily be flagged when they audit, they will see the card has been used. Yes the card will probably be closed immediately after chargeback but if not and d using down the road is playing with fire. Sadly once you have preauthed a card will a company that there really is no dispute duration.

But OP didn't order a gift card, and that will be the central dispute with his credit card if he does a chargeback. I understand GS thinks the charge is for a gift card, but OP did not actually purchase one. In this situation, he received merchandise that he didn't order, and he has a legal right to keep it as a gift.

Oct 27, 2017
But OP didn't order a gift card, and that will be the central dispute with his credit card if he does a chargeback. I understand GS thinks the charge is for a gift card, but OP did not actually purchase one. In this situation, he received merchandise that he didn't order, and he has a legal right to keep it as a gift.
That doesnt matter if the receipts for the giftcard. The bank will not be able to side with the customer if the card is used.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
They will have every right to recharge at that point is the issue and the op will have no recourse. I worked on customer facing banking for years and saw this almost exact scenario when people charged stuff back and still used the items and then were recharged and got pissed off when it was redisposed. It can easily be flagged when they audit, they will see the card has been used. Yes the card will probably be closed immediately after chargeback but if not and d using down the road is playing with fire. Sadly once you have preauthed a card will a company that there really is no dispute duration.
No they don't and .....seriously they won't

the only way there is going to be money on the gift card is if they're super incompetent

zero chance they charge him in this hypothetical that isn't gonna happen anyway

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
This is without a doubt the worst Gamestop story I've ever read or heard about. I'm sorry it happened to you. Holy fuck, a $600 giftcard! I'm pissed for you.

Do a chargeback and print out a screen grab of the PS5 bundle you were trying to buy (with the price clear and visable) and copies of whatever emails you recieved. Keep 'em handy, just in case.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
That doesnt matter if the receipts for the giftcard. The bank will not be able to side with the customer if the card is used.

Of course it matters. That's exactly what he'll be telling his credit card. He ordered a PS5 and they sent him a gift card instead. He didn't authorize it so please charge it back. Responsibility to nuke the card falls on GS.

stangthang26

Aug 15, 2018
Yeah the title pretty much says it all , I was trying to buy a PS5 a few weeks ago where I got to a confirmation screen. Saying my order was placed, but I never got a follow up Email; never once did I get an email confirming or denying that my order went through. So I thought oh, no biggie it just never went through I'll try my luck next time, my credit card was fine.

Until today when I got an email saying that i had a gift card FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT as a PS5 bundle I ordered, and they took the money out of my account, and now calling their shitty customer service keeps hanging up on me, To say I'm pissed is an understatement, I might drive down to the local store and harass the fuck out of them because this is not ok.

and before anyone asks no you can't return a gift card for cash

check the value of the card. Your bundle might have had $20 gif card like mine. Mine did the same thing as yours but it's real value was $20 and it shipped my ps5 out soon after I got the gift card. Check the order page as well.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's actually amazing the way y'all are earnestly suggesting the OP do crimes because you think that's how it works.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I would do a chargeback as well. At the rate GameStop is going, it's not like they will be around that much longer. If he went back to the stores to buy something after doing a chargeback and not using the gift card, I don't think they would recognize that he's barred from shopping there.

Reading about this and GameStop sending "new games" when they clearly have been opened and had their stupid stickers on the case, they deserve to go out of business.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
it's actually amazing the way y'all are earnestly suggesting the OP do crimes because you think that's how it works.

A quick Google search says this:

According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don't have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment... If you receive merchandise that you didn't order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

Now, is it unethical? Yes, it is.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
check the value of the card. Your bundle might have had $20 gif card like mine. Mine did the same thing as yours but it's real value was $20 and it shipped my ps5 out soon after I got the gift card. Check the order page as well.

This right here. Confirm the gift card's balance. This may actually just be confirmation your order is on the way.

If it is the full total, then yes, continue with customer support. Chargeback is an option, but a last option. ESPECIALLY don't listen to people saying to then just use the giftcard. There's a bunch of financial liability nonsense that can happen in that case, including having the chargeback reversed.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
They do stop stating incorrect information.
It's this simple

he never bought a gift card.
There is no AUTHORIZED purchase of a gift card.

if they're so incompetent to not nuke the card it's over.

they're not going back to the credit card and saying "you know that giftcard we illegally charged him for? He spent it"

they're also not going to illegally charge AGAIN for the card because he didn't buy it. They'll nuke it. This entire hypothetical is extremely unlikely.

the ethics are another debate

Oct 27, 2017
It's this simple

he never bought a gift card.
There is no AUTHORIZED purchase of a gift card.

if they're so incompetent to not nuke the card it's over.

they're not going back to the credit card and saying "you know that giftcard we illegally charged him for? He spent it"

they're also not going to illegally charge AGAIN for the card because he didn't buy it. They'll nuke it. This entire hypothetical is extremely unlikely.
Card Authorizations are done at a company level . Receipt is what matters, if receipt says giftcard then that is what matters, not what the op intended to order.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A quick Google search says this:

According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don't have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment... If you receive merchandise that you didn't order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

Now, is it unethical? Yes, it is.

it's not unordered merchandise, it's their (equally illegal) form of compensation for the PS5. That's the difference.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
do not use the gift card.

Try to get it resolved through the phone if you want to continue doing business with gamestop. Notify your bank of the situation as well, in case talks fall through

Or you can call your bank right away and chargeback if you never want to do business with gamestop again.

If you do chargeback, do it within 2 months of recieving the gift card.

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
Between this and the stuff I heard on launch about people getting orders that were either canceled or that just never arrived to them at launch, I think I'm just going to wait until I see one of these things in store. Which is going to be a while.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
it's not unordered merchandise, it's their (equally illegal) form of compensation for the PS5. That's the difference.

Ok, let's extrapolate this unlikely hypothetical out even farther...

Let's say OP throws the gift card in the trash. Trash truck comes on Wednesday, hauls it away to a landfill. 3 months from now, Billy and his friends are playing in the landfill (just go with me here) and stumble across the gift card. Billy runs to GS and, lo and behold, it's good and uses it. Is GS then going to charge the OP for the gift card balance?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what if aliens came down from outer space, took the gift card, and used it on a ps11 from the future

god i'm going to be so amused if the giftcard was just part of the bundle.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Let's say OP throws the gift card in the trash. Trash truck comes on Wednesday, hauls it away to a landfill. 3 months from now, Billy and his friends are playing in the landfill (just go with me here) and stumble across the gift card. Billy runs to GS and, lo and behold, it's good and uses it. Is GS then going to charge the OP for the gift card balance?

The OP shouldn't keep the gift card. The order wasn't fulfilled thus store credit isn't an appropriate recompense. I'd either mail it back to their HQ or turn it in at the store. And I'd document and communicate to their customer support teams that I'd be doing this sans an actual refund of my money.

operating in good faith is what the OP should be doing to protect himself and legitimize his claim. Trying to get one over GameStop might bite him in the ass

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

No scenario where a card that's existence is illegal and found to be so by a credit card will be charged for AGAIN

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Just keep contacting customer service. It will take time, and a few calls, and getting the right people, especially during the pandemic, but they CAN and WILL fix it. These type of things are not fixed with a flick of the switch. It has to be looked into and see how/why it happened, and has to go through a process to get it swapped over from gift card to refund. And then they have to make sure the gift card is also discredited so that no further fraud takes place.

If you go to the store and harass the employees, who have absolutely ZERO ability to do anything, then you're the lowest form of scum that exists. Karens would make you look better.

Just be patient. These things take time, especially involving this much money.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Just keep contacting customer service. It will take time, and a few calls, and getting the right people, especially during the pandemic, but they CAN and WILL fix it. These type of things are not fixed with a flick of the switch. It has to be looked into and see how/why it happened, and has to go through a process to get it swapped over from gift card to refund. And then they have to make sure the gift card is also discredited so that no further fraud takes place.

If you go to the store and harass the employees, who have absolutely ZERO ability to do anything, then you're the lowest form of scum that exists. Karens would make you look better.

Just be patient. These things take time, especially involving this much money.
This situation (if the card has 600 on it) calls for an immediate chargeback. Fuck wasting any of your time with their customer service.

Person on the phone will be like "They did what!!!!"

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Call your bank and charge back

Ez done
Not always. I had to fight tooth and nail to get a charge back on a itunes charge and i don't even own a fucking iphone.

This is why i only use credit cards now because through my CC i can charge back anything without talking to a single person.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_4.22.43_PM.jpg

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
The OP shouldn't keep the gift card. The order wasn't fulfilled thus store credit isn't an appropriate recompense. I'd either mail it back to their HQ or turn it in at the store. And I'd document and communicate to their customer support teams that I'd be doing this sans an actual refund of my money.

operating in good faith is what the OP should be doing to protect himself and legitimize his claim. Trying to get one over GameStop might bite him in the ass

I disagree that the responsibility falls on the OP to correct the situation for Gamestop. Operating in good faith and doing the ethical thing is admirable, but GS still bears most of the responsibility in this situation to correct their own fuck-up.

No, it doesn't. Just be patient and work on getting it resolved. Customer service is there to help. Being calm and patient goes a long way with customer service.

But...they already didn't help?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree that the responsibility falls on the OP to correct the situation for Gamestop. Operating in good faith and doing the ethical thing is admirable, but GS still bears most of the responsibility in this situation to correct their own fuck-up.

I didn't say anything about responsibility or ethics. I'm recommending that in the case that GS disputes the chargeback, that the OP should take actions that legitimize his claim and that means not touching the giftcard.

You don't know what you are talking about. OP has every right to issue a chargeback

I've not once suggested that the OP shouldn't do a chargeback. Quite the opposite. I'm saying he shouldn't touch the money on the giftcard

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I would just execute a chargeback and let the bank/CC company deal with it, that's what they are there for, then waste my time dealign with Gamestop's incompetent asses. this is different than someone using chargebacks as a workaround to get a refund on a game they didn't like or something, this is exactly what chargebacks exist for.

As for the gift card, I imagine it'll be deactivated/invalid the minute the transaction is reversed/chargeback'd, so its probably a moot point.

Jun 20, 2019
The CC company will ask a ton of questions when you initiate the chargeback, including whether you still have the gift card and what you intend to do with it. If you tell them you're going to spend the value on the card they will refuse the chargeback request. If you tell them you will never sell, give away or use the gift card and later do use it, you've committed fraud.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Fuck them

this is absolutely absurd lol.......if true

Why fuck them? You have no clue what the situation is that lead to this. There's a lot of work to be done, and it's never as simple as just magically pressing a button and refunding that kind of money. It was likely due to a glitch in the electronic portion of the payment process, and customer service needs to work and identify that. No company is just going to refund $600 just because.

And doing a chargeback is completely unnecessary. Just contact Customer Service. Via phone, email, or twitter. He claims to have a screenshot of the order. Provide it. Just get it resolved. It's not difficult to be patient and understanding when issues happen.

Plus we don't exactly know the complete story here. Perhaps there's more to it than the OP is letting on. Remember a thread a few weeks back when someones PSN account was banned for a chargeback? And it turned out the OP was using his parents credit cards without permission and they put an end to it? There could always be more to the story than OP is letting on.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not always. I had to fight tooth and nail to get a charge back on a itunes charge and i don't even own a fucking iphone.

This is why i only use credit cards now because through my CC i can charge back anything without talking to a single person.

debit cards take longer, yes

always shop with a credit card

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
And doing a chargeback is completely unnecessary. Just contact Customer Service. Via phone, email, or twitter. He claims to have a screenshot of the order. Provide it. Just get it resolved. It's not difficult to be patient and understanding when issues happen.

OP claims to have already tried and been hung up on. Not sure why you keep insisting that customer service will make everything better. Should he keep calling until someone actually listens to him?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Why fuck them? You have no clue what the situation is that lead to this. There's a lot of work to be done, and it's never as simple as just magically pressing a button and refunding that kind of money. It was likely due to a glitch in the electronic portion of the payment process, and customer service needs to work and identify that. No company is just going to refund $600 just because.

Plus we don't exactly know the complete story here. Perhaps there's more to it than the OP is letting on. Remember a thread a few weeks back when someones PSN account was banned for a chargeback? And it turned out the OP was using his parents credit cards without permission and they put an end to it? There could always be more to the story than OP is letting on.
Chargeback

immediately

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
OP claims to have already tried and been hung up on. Not sure why you keep insisting that customer service will make everything better. Should he keep calling until someone actually listens to him?

Absolutely. What customer service is just going to purposely hang up on somebody? Absolutely none by rule. Especially if repeated calls happen. You're not likely to ever get the same rep twice and they are not all just sitting there thinking "this fucking guy again? *click*" The only time a CS Rep is ever allowed to just "hang up" is if they are being aggressively yelled and cursed at

The entire point of Customer Service is to help, and I've never worked with a company whose CS was not helpful or have dealt with customer service who hasn't helped me, and I HAVE dealt with Gamestop customer service before.

Some of yall have never worked in a customer service job, and know what the processes involved are, and it shows.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. What customer service is just going to purposely hang up on somebody? Absolutely none by rule. Especially if repeated calls happen. You're not likely to ever get the same rep twice and they are not all just sitting there thinking "this fucking guy again? *click*" The only time a CS Rep is ever allowed to just "hang up" is if they are being aggressively yelled and cursed at

The entire point of Customer Service is to help, and I've never worked with a company whose CS was not helpful or have dealt with customer service who hasn't helped me, and I HAVE dealt with Gamestop customer service before.

Some of yall have never worked in a customer service job, and know what the processes involved are, and it shows.
Chargeback exists for this type of scenario

he tried

he shouldn't waste another second with them on the phone

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'd make sure the gift card goes back to them, recorded delivery if needs be and make sure you email their support team the tracking info, and you do a chargeback. A bit of a pain, but cover yourself.