• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I was in the market for a new Pro, and saw today a local store was closing and had systems for 30% off. Got a nice quiet glacier white model. Then I just checked Slickdeals and they have all the stores listed that are closing. Might find a cheap console. Games were 50% off new and other items were up to 60%.

Full List of Closures

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Well, shit. The Maine Mall GameStop is closing. That's the one I grew up with. Right in the childhood.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I was in a manhattan one recently and they were having discounts as well. With so many people holding on to credit, I'm sure everyone is hoping for them to last at least till the next consoles come out.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I feel so bad for all of the employees who are going to lose their jobs, but at the same time, I cannot fathom a way for GameStop to continue their business. It's a lose lose.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I know 3 of those stores that are closing. Might go see if some PS or eShop cards are discounted. Doubt it though.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Nothing close to me. Going to bookmark that blog though.

It's a huge shame that this is happening, especially for those losing their jobs.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I feel very bad for the employees, but GameStop has been shitty to customers for years. Brick and mortar stores are tough to keep around these days all around.

I don't know if it's fair to say GameStop has been bad. It just hasn't been good enough is all. Like, Best Buy giving 20% off, same with Amazon - those are good deals! But now that each has sunset their programs, I'll probably be stopping by GameStop with more regularity. Although I fucking hate their used game stickers. Bleh.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
They really haven't been that bad to their customers, most just throw fits because the employees have to, you know, do their job.

That's not what I meant. I meant the company. The employees are just casualties. The trade values were laughable and the gutted game policy was ridiculous. Great people at my local stores that would always try to help. I heard the manager at my local store just got promoted to District Manager. He's a great guy so I hope the company survives a while.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
worth checking out you think?
Obviously, it's the one here Manhattan, NY - 682 6th Ave. @ 21st St.

Worth checking out? I wasn't there long, mostly saw large discounts on small figures, t-shirts and the sorts. That was about a week ago? so not sure if they got anything worth while. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you're nearby.

ChillyBilly

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a Switch Lite for $130 last week at a store that is closing. All the stores near me (that are closing) are also offering a "5 for $5" on all games $19.99 and under, YMMV obviously.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Oh man, I moved away from NC years ago but that Cary Towne Center location (formerly EB) was a staple of my high school/college years. I remember going to the Halo 2 midnight launch there.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The one closest to me was liquidating the store but I guess it'd been going on for over a month so there was nothing worthwhile.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a site that also keeps an eye on Canadian closures? Have store credit with EB Games that I was gonna use for the new consoles, that I might get rid of sooner on something else.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Phew my cities survived for now. I hope the main store I use is around long enough for next November's launch.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not what I meant. I meant the company. The employees are just casualties. The trade values were laughable and the gutted game policy was ridiculous. Great people at my local stores that would always try to help. I heard the manager at my local store just got promoted to District Manager. He's a great guy so I hope the company survives a while.
Yeah, that's fair, it did read a bit like complaining about the employees having to do things I'm sure they dislike, so I apologize.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how Canada will fare. I think there's less competition here, but the dominos will start falling eventually.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's fair, it did read a bit like complaining about the employees having to do things I'm sure they dislike, so I apologize.

It's cool. I saw where you were coming from, and didn't want to seem like I was attacking the poor employees. Losing a job is terrible and I'd never wish it.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I moved away from NC years ago but that Cary Towne Center location (formerly EB) was a staple of my high school/college years. I remember going to the Halo 2 midnight launch there.

Yeah, Cary Towne Center is a shell of its former self nowadays though. Half the stores are gone and only one of the department stores is still there. Not too surprising that particular Gamestop is going under, that whole mall is a wreck.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Surprised to see only 1 closure in IL. We have like 3 GameStop stores in town. We don't need that many!! They really need to consolidate further, and overhaul their business model to focus more on what made game stores popular back in the day. More hands on demos, more release parties, in-store cafe / food offerings / scheduled events, tournaments, etc.

There's a market for what GameStop needs to become in an age where people can buy everything online or digitally. Hopefully they make that investment before turning into dust.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
GameStop in Wilmington, MA still open. Hopefully, they stay open before Mystery Dungeon DX releases. I had that on physical pre-order.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Happy to see no WV stores closing. The one I go to has some nice people.

I have over $200 in credit. I'm hoping a store stays open until new consoles release.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, Cary Towne Center is a shell of its former self nowadays though. Half the stores are gone and only one of the department stores is still there. Not too surprising that particular Gamestop is going under, that whole mall is a wreck.
Yeah, was going to become an IKEA but that fell through. Sad to see, many memories of that mall going back to the early 90s.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I see one closing in the Tampa/St. Pete area, but I can think of at least 4 others off the top of my head within a 20 minute drive from my apartment that I guess will still be around.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Aww shit, the midtown NYC 6th ave one is closing. That was secretly the best place in the city to find reasonably priced authentic 7th gen controllers.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a site that also keeps an eye on Canadian closures? Have store credit with EB Games that I was gonna use for the new consoles, that I might get rid of sooner on something else.
I need to keep an eye on EB as well. I've got a few hundred in gift cards that I'm also holding for new consoles. My town has two EB stores so it's probably fine for awhile... Hopefully.

Two near me are closing leaving the one in the large mall in the next town and the one by the DMV. At least I still have the DMV one: the staff is actually pretty cool there and they tend to have a nice selection of retro used wares.