• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
To understand Death Stranding – the intent behind its narrative and the type of game that it is trying to be – you need to forget about the BBs, BTs, and strangely captivating urination systems.

Hideo Kojima has long attempted (somewhat unsuccessfully) to explain that Death Stranding was a game about connection, and it has taken a new behind-closed-doors demonstration finally gave me a clear idea of the intent behind his laboured explanations.

The thing that really stood out to me was just how simple this game is at its core. Death Stranding is a game about walking. As Sam Porter Bridges (or as you probably know him, Normal Reedus trapped in the uncanny valley), you are tasked with walking from the East coast of America to the West, reactivating various communication nodes along the way in an effort to spread a message of hope to a nation that has become fragmented and disconnected, taking the idea of unity to pockets of an isolated populous that trades in ambivalence rather than love. That is Death Stranding.

And so you will walk. You will retrace the steps of Amelie, daughter of the President of the United Cities of America, who embarked on her own East to West journey with a convoy sometime before the game kicks into gear. She did this in an attempt to establish a network of communication relays across the country, a network that could deliver a message of unity from her mother, Bridget, who also happens to be on death's door. That message is that every problem in the world needn't be solved by force; instead, it is hope that can bring us all together.

This is necessary after Central Knot City was destroyed in a terrorist attack – through the use of irresponsible 'Void Outs', the act of coming back from the 'Other Side', from the game's central antagonists. This has pushed pockets of civilisation to disconnect themselves from the government and from each other in fear, choosing to instead go it alone in the wildlands.

Off on the edge of the Pacific is Edge Knot City, home to a group being painted as a decentralised force – separatists and terrorists, the Homo Demens – who are intent on ensuring their own independence. It's on the road to Edge Knot City – on the road to building a bond with the most dangerous and disconnected portion of this vision of a fractured America – where Amelie was captured; she appears to Sam as a hologram projection in everything that we have seen so far, never ageing, looking to him as she did on "back on that beach". She's safe, she tells Sam, and she's free to talk to him and use the facilities as much as she likes – she isn't in a prison, she is keen to note – she just isn't able to leave the confines of Edge Knot City.

Connect the country up to the communication network, see if you can rescue Amelie from the Homo Damens and their leader, Higgs – the 'Man in the Golden Mask' played by Troy Baker – and spread the message of a dying president to halt the otherwise irreversible fracture of society. There's your story in Death Stranding; it's no more confusing than that. It's the drive to get you moving through the world and the core tenant to the gameplay.

The rest of it is all noise – a collection of gamification and esoteric sci-fi concepts to introduce conflict. Death Stranding is a game about a pilgrimage, about activating communication relays, and about delivering parcels to isolated corners of America in an attempt to establish social strands – building bonds with your fellow man in an effort to inspire hope in a dying society.
More at: https://www.gamesradar.com/i-have-s...scom-and-i-finally-understand-whats-going-on/

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The thing that really stood out to me was just how simple this game is at its core. Death Stranding is a game about walking."

Yikes.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think anyone who have actually watched the trailers and paying attention have figured this much so far.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This will be another great Death Stranding topic here on resetera. Can't wait for all the concerns :D

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
"The thing that really stood out to me was just how simple this game is at its core. Death Stranding is a game about walking."

Yikes.
i mean, if we want games to be considered art we are going to need more than just games with violence as a selling point in the big budget side of gaming.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And so you will walk. You will retrace the steps of Amelie, daughter of the President of the United Cities of America, who embarked on her own East to West journey with a convoy sometime before the game kicks into gear.

Reverse Steel Ball Run, got it.

For some reason the goofy "gameplay premiere" with peeing, ladders, and Keighley was what convince me to pick it up when it comes out.. I'm not the biggest Kojima fan, but there's enough weird stuff in there that I need to see this for myself.

Edit: Actually talking about it with folks, people are really thinking this is secretly going to be Metal Gear Successor and that's wild to me lmao. The launch of this game is going to be insanity

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
You can only play the same game so many times (unless it's Dark Souls). Day one. Can't wait to explore every inch of this title.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These boots are made for walkin

and that's just what they'll do

and if you complain about Death Stranding

I'll pee all over you

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad it's different from Metal Gear. Kinda got tired of those a long time ago.

Heck, it seems like it's different from most if not all AAA games out there, so that's a plus too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm out. Zero interest in just walking around and turning on a bunch of comm towers. It's like the worst parts of every Ubisoft game but the whole game.

No thanks, Kojima.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
a rope game rather than a stick game, like kojima has been saying since the beginning

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Reverse Steel Ball Run, got it.

For some reason the goofy "gameplay premiere" with peeing, ladders, and Keighley was what convince me to pick it up when it comes out.. I'm not the biggest Kojima fan, but there's enough weird stuff in there that I need to see this for myself.
Maybe the boxes he's delivering have pieces of Jesus's corpse inside them

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me the basic concept of Death Stranding's story and gameplay is actually decipherable, and has been that way for quite a while now?

Say it ain't so.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
That sounds like exactly what I was hoping. A game about exploring a large, open world, interpsersed with more directed set pieces. If they pull off making the exploration feel good, this'll be rad as heck.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
We may be walking, but it's about the journey, not the walking! And of course, the crazy story & characters we'll meet along the way.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Any game like this lives and dies on level design. If they can nail that, I'm interested. If it's another copy pasted "open world" count me out, as much as I like Kojima.

Jan 10, 2018
Traveling across the US feels very exciting concidering the vast amount of different terrains. I wonder how it's structred though because surely there will be events that makes the time skip forward, so that you don't actually have to walk the whole distance yourself.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Let's see if the final game is engaging. BotW is my favorite game ever, and a big part of the game is walking/climbing/swimming/gliding. If DS has a well-designed map and interesting traversal options it can be great too, but I would like to see a fragment of how everything works together before judging the game.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to hear just how crushed Dan Rycker's dreams will be once this game is released and he's played a bit. Possibly as much as RDR2.