TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Maybe 5 years....maybe
I could see it in 4.
Gamepass has been training people on digital for awhile. Who is really buying physical on pc anymore 🤔

our music and movies, preferred method is digital. Covid is helping

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Sooner the better. I am 100% digital now and wouldn't even contemplate going back to physical.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I don't think so, digital games are usually a total rip off here in the U.K. Can't see it being embranced here until it's at least the same price as boxed copies.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
At most what we could say is that the data is not as clear as we would like, but I think we can all agree that every time the comparison is made, digital sales seem to be going up in percentage, relative to physical sales, on cases where the option is available to buy physical or digital.

Oh, of course; that's been without a shadow of a doubt for at least half a decade now. The question is at what speed, and what date does that set for the end of physical. I am 99% certain that that date is not three years away.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
We're getting close. Once GameStop closes the ratio will jump again.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I will laugh at this in Nintendo physical carts. Perhaps this could be true for some portions of the gaming market but certainly not for others.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
Physical will remain so long as data caps exist. Those caps won't likely go away any time soon, not as long as there's money to be made.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
The day I buy a digital game for one of my Nintendo consoles is the day hell freezes over.

Oct 27, 2017
Sooner the better. I am 100% digital now and wouldn't even contemplate going back to physical.
See this attitude I will never understand. And I'm not talking about going all digital. That's perfectly fine. It's the "I don't like something so nobody else should even have the choice to buy something differently than me."

People buying physical games changes nothing for you.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's getting there, but I don't think the infrastructure will be there alone by then to support it without a noticeable loss. I think we will see more cases though like with Jurassic World: Evolution where physical print runs will get smaller and smaller to where they dry up rather quick and the only market is the digital one.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think in about 3-5 years gaming sections will be but racks of cards and empty boxes with game keys and like 20% of selection are actual discs

but i guess it boils down to how publishers prioritize other regions

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
This is slightly misleading re: the topic at hand because it refers to number of games sold, not revenue, and digital games are considerably cheaper due to the much higher ratio of smaller and indie games. If you buy one $60 physical game and three digital $5 games, does it really mean you've gone 75% digital in any relevant sense?
'Full game' sales usually means games that have a retail release.

But it's still misleading as many of the digital sales of 'Full games' are on mega sale for $1 etc. Some never even get downloaded, just added to accounts.

You can see in the graph below that digital software is now outselling physical and as Sony make more money on a digital release as they don't have to print discs, make boxes, ship the product etc., the profit margins are much higher.

EX4QnziWAAAecn7
The graph does not show this as it does not have the selling price. How any were on super sale for pennies? Higher margins on lower selling prices, and digital sales go so much lower more often than non-second hand retail sales ever did in discounts.

IF a game is sold at the same price on one or the other, Sony makes more money but we simply do not have the relevant data to compare.

Digital revenue figures are also not enough, as they include services, DLC and indie download only games etc too.

I'm guessing what is actually happening with the chart is that bargain bin retail game sales are dying as $2 full game downloads eat the bottom of the market. nobody would bother re-printing an old game to sell for $10 anymore when they can sell digital for $4 and get the same money after expenses.

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Well depends on if he means on all physical sales. Because there will always be a disc you can buy for any mainstream content, just like film and music. But 2-3 yrs for the majority to be digital? Sure. Tbh I thought we were already at that point.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Oh, of course; that's been without a shadow of a doubt for at least half a decade now. The question is at what speed, and what date does that set for the end of physical. I am 99% certain that that date is not three years away.

The rate at which digital eats the physical market seems to be around 5 to 8% every year. This comes from reading several fiscal reports and articles. I also don't expect for physical to dissappear in 3 years. What I do expect is for the expansion of digital to greatly accelerate due to things like the current situation with the coronavirus, subscription services like EA Access, Uplay +, Game Pass, PS Now, etc. Along with the growing number of cloud gaming services. Another important factor is how I think we can all expect digital only versions of the next generation Xbox and PS5. All of these are big factors that will contribute to the reduction of the physical market. Just like we have right now with indie games and how basically all of them release digital only, we should start to see and increase of examples for AA and AAA games.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The inevitable death of GameStop and growing popularity of F2P games will definitely accelerate this but I don't know if it'll reach 100% in just 2 years.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's not true at all. There are hundred thousands of bands, even super unknown/new punk rock and metal bands who release their albums on CD etc.
I know, because I still buy a lot them.

Sure, but compared to the number of artists who just drop albums on Spotify/Apple Music/Youtube etc?

I think it will be similar to games. It already is to most indies.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Physical will be around for quite awhile, even if future consoles don't include a disc drive. I could see a super fast USB4 add on to install physical, which I would be totally okay with. Brick and mortar will push more special, collector and steelbook editions.

• We have many rural areas with bad or no internet.
  • Data caps need to go away
  • Fast storage needs to become larger and cheaper.
  • Companies still need some sort of physical presence at brick and mortar stores.

By switching the region in the consoles to those with digital storefronts and then buy the games.
You can't do this on Xbox and PS. On Xbox it's even worse, since it's region locked by IP.
And you still need debit card for Switch which should support foreign currency. So your solution won't work for most people in those countries.

On other hand, imported physical copies work just fine without any headache.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
With data caps in the US I can't go all digital. If Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft allowed us to sell digital gamesback to them I think that would help.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to say it's a good thing, but I don't think it's a bad thing either. I'm perfectly fine with physical media staying around, but I also won't lose any sleep once it's gone.
It's a big issue. A license/contract running out can make a digital only game disappear into the ether. That's something that will need to be addressed. Also physical media will never completely go away unless Microsoft & Sony make their consoles without disc drives.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'll happily go all digital when there's price parity between digital and physical. But right now Digital is nearly 50% more expensive than physical in my country (for launch titles). On what planet does that make any sense?

Oct 25, 2017
It's is for me and my friends. Psn cash from Costco is 10% off. No tax on psn so save 12% there. Gamepass only on Xbox. Nintendo stuff is always full price so get credit on sale when I can, otherwise just bite the bullet. No more swapping discs. No more shelf space. Can't trade or sell but I typically only buy games I wanna keep so not a huge deal?

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Physical (console) games dying means 2 things I am all for it.

1. Refundable digital games within a time limit, time played (Like steam)

2. More software sales due to decreased costs.

Without those I'm still heavily physical only. Environmental concerns still obviously factor in, but as long as digital software means a more restrictive option I will continue not to support it.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Vinyls have cool factor. CDs are getting phased out of major retailers and are basically a nonfactor revenue wise.

Vinyl has an actual functional use to audiophiles in that it has amazing sound quality. I'm very much a fan of physical media and exclusively buy physical, but there is no functional use to it outside of collecting in gaming the end product is identical

People comparing this to Blu-ray or DVD is also a pretty lousy argument. Movies will always be made and everybody has a DVD player. If Sony or msft decide to stop using a disc drive then that's it, no more physical. Sure you can get physical on PC or something, but I'd bet this console generation is the last with a disc drive at least for sony and msft

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
No physical means no trading with friends, not selling your games to get some cash back, no special offers or discounts via retailers. We will be at the expense of the publishers, that's a scary future for gaming in my opinion.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not while there are two consoles that support physical games, that would be ridiculous.

So try again in 7 years.

Nov 8, 2017
Vinyl has an actual functional use to audiophiles in that it has amazing sound quality. I'm very much a fan of physical media and exclusively buy physical, but there is no functional use to it outside of collecting in gaming the end product is identical

People comparing this to Blu-ray or DVD is also a pretty lousy argument. Movies will always be made and everybody has a DVD player. If Sony or msft decide to stop using a disc drive then that's it, no more physical. Sure you can get physical on PC or something, but I'd bet this console generation is the last with a disc drive at least for sony and msft

I agree that most of the analogies are not useful, none of them are actually that close except maybe "PC gaming".

Anyone can press vinyls with the right equipment and permission from the artist. There are nominal fees associated with CD / DVD / BR but otherwise they're maintained by standards bodies that you can purchase licenses from. The BluRay consortium does not get more money if you digitally download a film versus buying physical. Films can be trivially converted between mediums, file formats, and levels of quality, even by amateurs at home using free software. Sony and Microsoft have full control over who can and cannot license and print games for their platforms, so as you say, if they put their foot down, it's over.

The decreasing number of people buying physical is really an interesting trend. Gaming itself is so different from films and music. You need servers, installs, additional downloads and ongoing updates for both fixes and . There are major service components. DRM for gaming is as intrusive (or perhaps more so) than it has been for any other medium ever. The archival benefits of having a physical copy of a game becomes decreasingly useful the more reliant on the internet games become.

PC gaming has already gone through it's "yeah, physical is basically dead now" phase. People don't even buy disc drives for most computers anymore, and haven't for years. Case manufacturers have stopped making slots for them. Laptops phased them out 5-7 years ago except occasional business models. Games ship with disc cases and a CD Key you register. Not every game, but an increasing number. Even when games do have discs it's commonplace for people to never use them.

The reason PC gaming went this way is because over time, the utility of having the discs declined - internet connection speeds increased, CD keys became one-time-use codes registered to accounts, you needed to constantly update online for a lot of games anyway, you couldn't play offline for a fair few games, and so on. The convenience of digital stores, Steam in particular, became very attractive, paired with very deep discounts and the like. DVD software on PC was kinda crappy in many cases, and Blu Ray software is dreadful with no good free options. Multiple interlocking trends allowed physical media to basically die on PC, even though nobody forced it to.

I suspect Sony and Microsoft will still offer some kind of drive-based model for a few good years, and both will be cautious to be the first one to announce they're dropping them for future platforms because the first one to do so will be a lightning rod for outrage and bad press, but eventually, yeah, it feels inevitable that they'll eventually consider it nolonger worth the cost of having. Maybe we'll see external optional disc drives for consoles that allow you to run BR movies and games, but with the base consoles themselves not even bothering to ship with the drives.

What's the timeline here? 2-3 years is obviously too short, but the trends seem very clear. Publishers want it, the platform holders want it - it means more money for both of them. And an increasing number of gamers are jumping onboard even without being forced, for many of the same reasons PC gamers did (innate benefits of digital + declining benefits for physical).

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like how CDs went away right?

CD is still a thing in America?

You can't do this on Xbox and PS. On Xbox it's even worse, since it's region locked by IP.
And you still need debit card for Switch which should support foreign currency. So your solution won't work for most people in those countries.

On other hand, imported physical copies work just fine without any headache.

I believe you can just change the console region of XBox to buy games. I use a foreign credit card on my eshop with a US account, so I am not sure about debit card, but I believe there's paypal for that too.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe in the US, considering a lot of companies aren't shipping the same amount of physical copies to stores (I'm talking pre-COVID), and the ones that are making the physical leap at few and far between (not counting digital first, physical later releases), how could you not say digital sales are up?

But if that's the way console gaming wants to go, I have no problem waiting for physical copies from Asia, and for those that don't, extreme sales it'll be for me, like what I do for 99% of PC releases.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
See this attitude I will never understand. And I'm not talking about going all digital. That's perfectly fine. It's the "I don't like something so nobody else should even have the choice to buy something differently than me."

People buying physical games changes nothing for you.

I don't get it either, but we've seen it many times in any phone thread about the 3.5mm jack. There's a lot of people with a "I don't like thing so no one should" attitude and it doesn't make sense.

Jan 16, 2019
This is definitely the gen where I'll go at least 90% digital.

After being a big collector last couple decades I'm just over it. Most of these games make me download 70% of the game after buying the disc anyways, so what's the point?

Same I converted my whole physical collection. I only go physical when the price differencebetween physical and digital is crazy and it's a game I plan on reselling. I'm confident in MS and Sony to support our digital purchases

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The rate at which digital eats the physical market seems to be around 5 to 8% every year.
I am not denying the global tendency but without datas about volume, percentages aren't giving the all story. Considering the amount of software that aren't reprinted, someone wanting to buy all 8th gen classic won't necessarily easily find these in physical formats today, and this without adding oldies, or the zillion of indies and AA couting only on digital distribution.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
America's online infrastructure is ready! And thank God data caps were abolished when the internet was classified as a public utility!

I am ready to download ten terabytes of games per month, esteemed gentlepeople of gaming.

A salute to our glorious digital future!