• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Here are the games I have beaten last month:

- Yooka-Laylee (Switch)
- Golf Story (Switch)
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch)
- Stardew Valley (Switch)
- Flipping Death (Switch)
- Neo Cab (iPhone)

Bought a Switch Lite at the end of September (loving it!!) and finished a couple of lovely games. What games have you beaten in October, Era?

Previous threads in 2019:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Disco Elysium, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and The Outer Worlds.

Not sure what to move onto next.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie
Dragon Quest XIS
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat two drastically different RPGs.

My game of the year and one of the best games I have ever played in Disco Elysium, and the totally forgetable and mediocre Outer Worlds.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
My month was all about subscription service games. Well, in the case of Gears of War 3, it was me clearning out a game from my backlog in anticipation of playing 4 and 5 on GamePass. And the rest were from Apple Arcade. Currently playing The Outer Worlds on GamePass.

• Gears of War 3
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts
  • Pilgrims
  • What the Golf?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox) 8.9/10
Yakuza 3 (PS4) 9/10
Far Cry 5 (Xbox) 7.9/10
Gears 5 (Xbox) 5/10 for the campaign, 10/10 for the multiplayer
Outer Worlds (Xbox) 7/10
Borderlands 3 (PS4) 8.5/10

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 (XB1) - I finished the Epilogue around the beginning of October, so the majority my playtime was in July-September. I was sad to see the story end, but definitely will not miss those controls. I might try RDO soon.

Return to Arkham City (PS4) - I always associate this game with October. Got all of the trophies except for New Game Plus and Perfect Knight - Day 2. I went insane and did all of the challenge maps including those terrible Campaign maps with Nightwing, Robin and Catwoman after doing them in 2014 on the PS3. As soon as I start playing any Arkham game, I get obsessed with it until it's all done. I really wish Origins had gotten a remaster or at least X enhancement BC.

Link's Awakening (Switch) - Loved it, such a great job, aside from the framerate issues, which didn't bother me that much. I wish we could have had more sub-items assignable to shoulder buttons.

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (PS4) - Pretty quick campaign, kind of underwhelming.

Last edited:

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Katana Zero (Switch) - I finished it a handful of times (mainly speedruns at this point). Easily my favorite game of the year so far.

That's all I can remember beating this month. Next month will be Death Stranding for sure.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Dragon Age Inquisition

I think that's it. It's been a hellish month and november will be too.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Order 1886 - 5/10 one of the worst games I have played this gen.

Also,I am in the second year of Stardew Valley,when is supposed to be end?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So lets see i finished Borderlands 3 and Blasphemous finally after it getting a patch , Links awakening , Untitled goose game and if it counts FFXIV Heavensward and onto Stormblood

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda: Link's Awakening 9.2/10
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES Online with Wireless SNES controller) 9.6/10
Resident Evil 2: Remake 9.3/10

(Been a good month, but all classics or remakes of classic games. My first time with Yoshi's Island and wow!)

Last edited:

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
Gears of War (Ultimate Edition) : its only taken me 13 years to get through the campaign. It was.....ok, totally understand why I dropped it in '06 though.
Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night : The art style put me off slightly but very solid mechanically.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (9.5/10)
Untitled Goose Game (8/10)

Currently 20 hours into The Outer Worlds, and the end is nowhere in sight

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished Judgment. Loved it, but it got a bit repetitive after a while.

I also played through all of the ChuChu Rocket Universe levels. Mostly awesome, but those timed levels are brutal toward the end.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
Astral Chain (Switch)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS4 - Return to Arkham)
Borderlands 3 (PS4)
Cat Quest II (iOS - Apple Arcade)
Grabbed by the Ghoulies (X1 - Rare Replay)
Prehistoric Isle (Switch - SNK 40th Anniversary Collection)
Street Smart (Switch - SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
Yooka Laylee & the Impossible Lair (Switch)

Also I might be able to finish up Afterparty tonight on Xbox One

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Dragon Quest XI S and Muv-Luv. Tried to play through a few shorter titles after Dragon Quest but I couldn't get into them (The Missing and Valdis Story).

I loved Dragon Quest. Put about 100 hours into it and my enjoyment was pretty steadily high the entire time. Muv-Luv was okay. Extra was mediocre but Unlimited was a decent improvement. Jumped right into Alternative afterward but I'm early on so I won't finish it in October.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Devil May Cry 5. Thoroughly enjoyed it — but no more three playable characters. Just focus on one — and that focus should be Dante.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 - it was pretty good!

Darksiders 3 - also pretty good! Better than I was expecting

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of War (PS4) - Pretty good game; not a massive leap over the first one, but I enjoyed my time with it. I got the Definitive Edition so I was able to try the DLC as well: The Blade of Galadriel was a bit better than The Desolation of Mordor, but I did like the latter's "Batman: Arkham" inspired game mechanics like the grappling hook and gliding. I wouldn't mind seeing a future game designed around those mechanics.

Shenmue I & II (PS4) - I picked this up in preparation for Shenmue III and loved both games so much that I ended up getting the platinums. I knew I would still like the first game after all this time, but I wasn't sure about Shenmue II since I didn't have much knowledge on it. It proved to be an equally excellent ride, and now I'm super excited to play Shenmue III in a few weeks.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Been at home recovering from a knee surgery for the last six weeks so I've had a lot of free time. This month:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Halo 5: Guardians
Gears of War 4
Bloodborne
Call of Duty WWII
World War Z
Elder Scrolls Legends: The Fall of the Dark Brotherhood expansion

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Slay the Spire — 8:30 for first win — October 21st
  2. Persona 3 Dancing — 2:30 — October 28th
  3. Persona 5 Dancing — 2:00 — October 28th

Just copy/pasted from my notes lol

I considered running through all songs in the Dancing Duo complete. At least, complete enough to mark it off as such in a game's finished this year list.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IV (replay)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Resident Evil Revelations 2 (replay)
Erica
Nitro Ball
Q-YO Blaster
BurgerTime Party!
Sly Spy
Overpass
Concrete Genie
What The Golf?
Gears 5
Doraemon Story of Seasons
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Sairento VR
The Outer Worlds
Aladdin (Genesis)
+Replayed Injustice 1

Sheesh...

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
  1. Tetris Effect (PSVR) - 9.5/10 - 4 hours (Oct 1)
  2. Link's Awakening (Switch) - 9/10 - 10 hours (Oct 9)
  3. Toy Story Mania (PSNow) - 6/10 - 3 hours (Oct 12)
  4. Raiden V (PSNow) - 6/10 - 3 hours (Oct 12)
  5. SkyScrappers (PSNow) - 5/10 - 4 hours (Oct 13)
  6. Gears of War 4 (XB1) - 8/10 - 8 hours (Oct 17)
  7. Concrete Genie (PS4) - 8/10 - 7 hours - (Oct 25)
  8. Astral Chain (Switch) - will finish today.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
- Astral Chain (8.5/10)
- Return of the Obra Dinn (9/10)
- Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (finished all stages and collected all 48 bees, but haven't beaten the lair yet and doubt I will return. Still an 8/10)

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I'm jealous so many people got to beat so many games in October haha. WHERE DO YOU FIND THE TIME.
  • Monster Hunter World Iceborne 9.5/10, second best game I've played this year only bested by Shadowbringers. (Both are dlc wtf)

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just Borderlands 3--finished the campaign on normal mostly playing co-op with friends, and then blew through the story missions again solo in TVHM to unlock the mayhem modifiers for that mode for the best loot drops.

Playing a fair bit of DQXIs as well, but I'm a long ways from beating that.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Just Days Gone. I was working on getting the platinum trophy so I was doing everything I could in the game.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 1 (Xbox One) - A bit dated, not always fun but it pulls off a lot of things unique for video games and has a great atmosphere. Good.
Bloodstained: RotN (Xbox One) - Does exactly what it sets out to do, it's a modern Igavania. A bit buggy sadly. Great.
Condemned: Criminal Origins (Xbox 360) - Dated visuals and physics but it builds a great atmosphere and the story remains interesting but sadly goes a bit too unfinished. Good.
Moss: Twilight Garden (PSVR) - Finished the free DLC. It didn't change the game but it was the same high quality as the main game. Great.
Farpoint (PSVR) - Decent FPS campaign elevated by the medium of VR to become exciting and fun. Dat massive boss fight was sooooo good in VR. Good-to-great.
Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot (PSVR) - Good visuals, solid gameplay and tons of potential but the game itself is sub-2 hours and the objectives and levels are so uninspired. Frankly poor.
Concrete Genie (PS4) - Super cute and well made game. They could have done more complex puzzles and gameplay but I don't think the game needed it. Fantastic but short.
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3) - It's a shorter Ratchet & Clank game. R&C games are always fun. Great.
Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4) - The open world dragged it down a bit but it's pretty much another top tier Uncharted game. Shorter and less varied scenery but very well made. Great.
Psyvariar Delta (PS4) - Excellent shmup with lots to discover and challenging objectives. Great.
Along Together (PSVR) - Short but pretty sweet puzzle game that makes pretty good use of VR but has a puzzle or two where the solution looks impossible but works anyway. Decent.
Kingdom Hearts III (PS4) - Disappointing and often feels too much like a bad stage based platformer than an RPG and the combat is too much on auto-pilot. It does have a bit of charm and memorable parts which made it worth playing. Good.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okami HD (Switch)
Box Boy + Box Girl (Switch)
Wolfenstein: Youngblood (PS4)
Days Gone (PS4)

Overall, pretty good month. I managed to clear out a nice little chunk of my backlog.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Sparse month in terms of beating games... I've got a whole arsenal of unbeaten RPGs I've bought over the last few months... (DQXIS, Ni No Kuni, Witcher 3, FFXII, FFX|FFX2)

Beat:
Link's Awakening (Switch)
Wulverblade (Switch)

Currently playing:
Ni No Kuni
Witcher 3
Luigi's Mansion 3.

Hopeful I can beat at least 2 of these in November..

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Spyro the Dragon (+ Platinum)
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (+ Platinum)
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon (+ Platinum)
Dragon Quest Builds 2 Platinum

Oct 27, 2017
AC Odyssey Fate of Atlantis Episode 1 - still unclear on whether I was supposed to side with any of the characters, or none of them, or what. Somewhat confusing.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Switch, 20 hrs, 8.5/10: First time I've ever played this on any console. The art style and music were very good, but the story is not really engaging and might have been helped by having some kind of antagonist or more story related characters. The overworld feels large despite being small, and exploration paces well with item progression, but could have benefited from more side quests. Dungeon design is decent, but many of the puzzles quickly go from being too simplistic to too cryptic. Good variety of enemies and plentiful mini-bosses, but final bosses are too easy.

The Room - Switch, 3 hrs, 7.5/10: Lots of well done puzzles with intuitive solutions, though a few seemed completely random or too hidden. Thankfully there is a good hint system which does not give away the answer but encourages the player to think about the problem differently. Graphics were polished but the touch controls felt clumsy at times. Story was decently intriguing but lacked any kinds of satisfying ending.

Inside - PS4, 6 hrs, 8/10: The ability to create a coherent world with a heavy atmosphere, and to tell an interesting story, all without dialogue is an achievement, but the lack of a substantive ending felt kind of unfulfilling. Puzzles offered a satisfying challenge despite the lack of obvious cues or direction. Great use of scenery and sound to create tension, which is enhanced by the complete lack of a HUD.
January:

Metroid Prime - GameCube, 30 hrs, 8.5/10: Never played the Prime series before and I wanted to get ready for Prime 4. In retrospect, the graphics for the era are excellent. I really liked the music, atmosphere and sense of isolation. Progression was fulfilling and made backtracking feel worthwhile, but the game dragged on in parts and could have done without the needless artifact hunt, frequent chozo ghost encounters and tedious boss fights. The game excelled when it came to exploration and pathfinding, but the combat was just OK and the controls felt a bit slow and clunky.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (World of Light) - Switch, 43 hrs, 9/10: I loved the huge amount of content, variety and customization. The game felt really polished and full of attention to detail. Gameplay was simple and fun, but rewarding. I appreciated the creative challenges provided by Wold of Light which encouraged me to try out different fighters I probably wouldn't have otherwise tried.

February:

Golf Story - Switch, 22 hrs, 8/10: I don't agree with the general assessment that it's an RPG disguised as a golf game - it's very much a legit golf game, albeit with adventure mechanics and an engaging narrative. Overall very funny and charming, with diverse and creative quests. Mechanics are simple and fun, though putting can be very frustrating and unintuitive. One of the best uses of the HD rumble I've seen. The story isn't really interesting or deep, and could have used more polish, and I really would have liked to see a more built-out and interactive over-world.

Thumper - Switch, 17 hrs, 7.5/10: Cool visuals, and I loved the ominous atmosphere and style, but I didn't find the music particularly memorable, and levels got repetitive very quickly. I'd been hoping that the obstacles would match the beat of the music more consistently, but they seemed to come randomly at times. I'd say the game is really more about memorization and testing your reaction speed than your ability to keep rhythm, to the point where it sometimes became a tedious chore, though it was satisfying to eventually get the pattern down and beat a level/boss. It's very much the 'Dark Souls' of rhythm games. I also think the ring of death in some levels is one of the most frustrating game mechanics I've ever seen.

March:

West of Loathing - Switch, 16 hrs, 8/10: The gameplay and combat were extremely simple, and it very much felt like a text-based adventure with some point-and-click elements, but the consistently funny writing and silly animations made the game more engaging than I'd expected. I also appreciated how streamlined the puzzles and side quests were, while still offering a good variety. My biggest gripe is that there wasn't much of a story, and the story lines that did exist didn't really culminate to anything.

August:

Phantasy Star - Switch, 31 hrs, 8.5/10: This was the first time I'd ever played it, and I'm glad it was on Switch. I'm not sure I would've made it through without the auto-mapping feature for the dungeons. I may have when I was a kid, but these days I wouldn't have the time and patience to draw them out myself. Otherwise the game was excellent. Great graphics for the era, and a cool setting and story. There was also a good variety of enemies but battles felt far more simplistic than, say, Dragon Warrior II, where enemy groups were mixed and enemies often used a range of spells and other special attacks.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 3DS, 18 hrs, 8/10: I played this in anticipation of Luigi's Mansion 3, and I don't think it deserves the hate it gets. Yeah, the mission structure isn't great for a variety of reasons, but overall the level and puzzle designs were excellent, and the new gameplay mechanics were well implemented. I didn't love that the atmosphere was less spooky and more cartoony than the first game, and bosses lack the personality and creepiness factor of the portrait ghosts, but the short vignettes when spying on ghosts were fun and the game is very charming.

September:

Dark Souls Remastered - Switch, 71 hrs, 9.5/10: This was the first time I'd played Dark Souls after only having previously played/beaten Demon's Souls. While the game mechanics and stats can be confusing and intimidating at first, you only really need to understand them on a basic level to beat the game. The lore and atmosphere are excellent despite the lack of exposition, and the world layout and design is clever and easy to memorize. Opening up shortcuts is very satisfying, and I really enjoyed the freedom of exploration as compared to Demon's Souls. My only complaint is that game progress is sometimes gated by very cryptic/easy to miss dialogue or item descriptions. Bottom line is when I finished Demon's Souls, I felt like I'd never want to pick it up again, whereas with Dark Souls, there was a part of that wanted to immediately run through it again.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch, 4 hrs, 7/10: I only played through once (on veteran) so didn't get the true ending as I wasn't really having fun. It does a great job of capturing the style and gameplay of the 8-bit Castlevanias but it also comes with a lot of the same frustrations including stiff controls and unfair situations where you're almost certain to take damage. Implementation of various character abilities and branching paths is well done.

SteamWorld Heist - Switch, 19 hrs, 8/10: The combination of tactics and looting is fun, and the game has a satisfying difficulty curve. There is a good array of weapons and items, but there's not quite enough variety in the settings and enemies, and few creative challenges. The characters and music were charming, but the story was just OK, and the ending felt unfulfilling. Inventory limitations were a frustrating addition and didn't add to my enjoyment of the game.

NovaXz

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
New York, New York
A good month of gaming for me. Currently playing through The Outer Worlds and Luigi's Mansion 3. Excited to jump into Afterparty and Star Wars in November.

1. Assemble With Care (iOS)
  2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (X1X)
  3. Man of Medan (X1X)
  4. Darksiders 3 (PS4)
  5. Astral Chain (NSW)
  6. Concrete Genie (PS4)
  7. Return of the Obra Dinn (NSW)