• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I beat 18 games in January!

From the challenge thread:
1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XSX) | 1st January - 29hrs | ★★★★½ | It's incredible just how well this game holds up in pretty much every aspect (except visually) even after 18 years. Easily some of the best work Bioware's ever done, and that's saying a lot. A really, really great start to 2021 for me! Also, just what is it with western RPGs and unnecessary card games? I will never understand that.

2. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (XSX) | 3rd January - 7.5hrs | ★★★★ | A gorgeous metroidvania that has great traversal/platforming and decent combat, but it was a bit overhyped for me. I was expecting more, but I still had an enjoyable time with it. Hopefully Will of the Wisps manages to live up to my expectations.

3. My Friend Pedro (XSX) | 3rd January - 3hrs | ★★½ | It's like a sidescrolling Hotline Miami, except nowhere near as good and not as pretty. If anything, this just made me appreciate how meticulously designed and paced the two Hotline Miami games and Katana Zero were. I wasn't shocked to learn that this was originally a flash game, because just like many flash games, it's fun in very small doses. This might be the poster child of games that outstay their welcome.

4. Forza Horizon 4 (XSX) | 4th January - 10hrs | ★★★½ | This game doesn't really "end" (AFAIK, credits don't roll unless you trigger them manually) so I decided to stop and mark this completed after finishing the last showcase.

I love kart racers, but "realistic" racing games (things like Driveclub and Need for Speed, for example) are not my cup of tea. Forza Horizon 4 falls into the latter category, which would make it a very "not my cup of tea" game.

Forza Horizon 4 is an exceptionally well made video game. It's absolutely gorgeous and chock full of content. The driving feels fantastic, and the cars are recreated incredibly faithfully as far as I can tell. You can tell that it's a game made with a lot of love. I just don't think it's incredibly fun to play, and I really don't think it's the game's fault. It's just not my cup of tea.

However, I did think that it was fun enough to "finish," and it really deserves props for that, as I usually find games like this insanely boring. I think that says a lot about the overall quality of the title.

5. Sunset Overdrive (XSX) | 5th January - 7.5hrs | ★★½ | Where do I even begin?

I find it shocking that Insomniac made this game. Just on basic level, it feels like something's missing here, but I really can't put my finger on it.

The writing is...interesting. I usually don't mind Saints Row-esque writing, but it just absolutely does not work here. Not a single joke landed for me. It felt like something trying so hard to be funny instead of actually being funny. It legitimately feels intentional, but it isn't.

The mission design is very 2014. This is the most 2014 game I've played in a while. It just felt extremely cookie cutter and basic, and I honestly expected better. The PS2 Ratchet & Clank games had better mission design than this, and the first one came out in 2002. You do a whole lot of defending objects in this game, and that's not something I particularly enjoy.

The game's saving graces are the traversal and combat, both of which are extremely fun to just mess around with. The game feels really good to control, and combining grinding with air dashes and wall running is extremely fun. Very reminiscent of Jet Set Radio. You can also pinpoint exactly what they took from this game and put into Spider-Man, which is really cool.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. I've seen a lot of praise for this game, and while I respect that, I personally don't see it. It was not the serve I expected it to be.

6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (PC) | 9th January - 30hrs | ★★★★ | This game might quite possibly be the most well written Star Wars related thing ever. If not, it is certainly the most intriguing. It's a deeper, more complex exploration of Star Wars, and it tackles subjects Star Wars doesn't usually touch on. It manages to genuinely have nuance, something I think Star Wars generally lacks. Then you get to the actual game, which is a fucking mess.

Even with TSLRCM installed, it's painfully obvious that the game is unfinished. Aside from the vast amount of bugs I've encountered (the most annoying of which is random line skipping, which genuinely ruined a good amount of the experience for me), the game has absolutely no flow. Instead, it feels like disjointed. Like a bunch of scenes that are stitched together in hopes that they somehow make sense. It's not unlike the state Final Fantasy XV launched in.

It's a shame, because the writing is gold. I rank this below the original simply because it's a nightmare to play. Still, everything else is so good that I can't give it a lower score than this.

7. Donkey Kong Country (Switch) | 12th January - 1.5hrs | ★★★★ | Still an extremely solid platformer. Some cheap bits here and there, but it has aged incredibly well overall.

Also, I really don't remember it being this short. The rewind feature on Switch might have to do something with it, though. Using it cuts playtime quite a bit.

8. Dragon Age: Origins (XSX) | 17th January - 23.5hrs | ★★★½ | Maybe it's because I'd just come off of playing the two KOTOR games, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I still had a blast, don't get me wrong, but something here feels a little less...nuanced. The characters are great, but the setting is kind of a generic medieval fantasy setting. I didn't find the story particularly strong, either. It was also incredibly buggy, but that might be the result of playing it on Xbox Series X. It seemed like the game was loading a little too fast and screwing things up.

Still, I'm really looking forward to playing all the DLC and the rest of the entries.

9. Dragon Age: Origins - The Stone Prisoner (XSX) | 18th January - 1.5hrs | ★★★ | I love Shale so much!

Shale disapproves

10. Dragon Age: Origins - Leliana's Song (XSX) | 18th January - 1.5hrs | ★★★ | I actually missed Leliana in my playthrough of Origins, so it was nice to get know her and some of her backstory. Other than that, it's meh. Wish she'd gotten a longer and bigger campaign, because she's really interesting.

11. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening (XSX) | 19th January - 12.5hrs | ★★★½ | I thought this was about as good as the main campaign. I think I liked it a little more? I appreciated the tighter pace and the lower amount of areas. I also really, really like the mostly new cast. It was also more fantasy that medieval, which also might have something to do with why I enjoyed it a bit more.

12. Dragon Age: Origins - Witch Hunt (XSX) | 20th January - 1.5hrs | ★★ | Extremely mediocre. Probably my least favorite piece of Origins DLC. Docked an extra ½ star because the final boss completely bugged out me and wouldn't appear. I had to Youtube the ending (which was disappointing, honestly, so I wouldn't have missed out on much anyways).

13. Dragon Age II (XSX) | 21st January - 24hrs | ★★★½ | I'd put this at the same level as the original. I vastly preferred the cast of characters and the story (even if Act 3 is a bit of a mess) and maybe even the combat, but the game has a ridiculously smaller scope than the original. That's not an inherently bad thing, obviously (I even tend to prefer games with smaller scopes), but it doesn't feel...intentional here at all. Seemed like it was either a budgetary issue or a time management one, or both.

Still, I had fun and I really don't think it deserves all the hate that it gets.

14. Dragon Age II: Legacy (XSX) | 21st January - 2.5hrs | ★★★ | A solid piece of DLC that sets up Dragon Age: Inquisition surprisingly well. Other than that, it's unremarkable.

15. Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS5) | 28th January - 66hrs | ★★★★ | Yes, the MMO world and quest design kind of sucks (even though I honestly don't think it's that bad), and the combat is nothing special. But honestly, all of that isn't what I'm here for. Dragon Age, to me, is all about storytelling and characters, and I honestly think Inquisition does both of those things extremely well. Better than the previous two games, even. I mean, come on, Dorian's in this game.

And yes, I love the singing scene. Fuck you.

16. Dragon Age: Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon (PS5) | 28th January - 2.5hrs | ★★★ | This was alright. Frostback Basin is a great area, and some of the lore introduced here was nice. Disappointing final boss, though.

17. Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent (PS5) | 28th January - 3hrs | ★★ | Was not a big fan of this, unfortunately. Seeing more dwarves and learning about additional dwarven lore was cool, but the entire DLC felt like one giant dungeon that dragged on and on, and the final boss is quite possibly my least favorite Dragon Age fight ever. Disappointing.

18. Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser (PS5) | 29th January - 6hrs | ★★★★½ | I can't say too much without spoiling anything, so I'll just say that this is easily the best Dragon Age content yet. The future of this franchise in incredibly exciting.

Last edited:

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Call of Duty sucking up all of my time but I was able to beat MegaMan 1 and 2 from the first collection. The rewind and save state mechanics made them relatively easy. I've beaten them before but it was a really really long time ago. It was so nice to revisit those 2. Music in MM2 is still incredible. Def one of my fav game sound tracks.

My goal this year was to clear all main series MegaMans. Onward to MegaMans 3!!

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Completed 5 games in Jan

Super Mario Galaxy (Replay) - Better than I remember but I still prefer the expansive levels of 64 and Odyssey compared to the modular levels of Galaxy.

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memories - A fun enough music game but weaker than the Theatrythm games (which I miss).

Tokyo Mirage Session #FE - A decent JRPG with a overly poppy aesthetic. A great combat system but some notable questionable choices.

Maneater - Nom Nom I am a shark. I miss this kind of mid budget PS2 esque game with a nice level of content. Combat is mindless though.

Star Wars: Squadrons - Not a fan of flight combat games but the VR makes it great, good multiplayer too.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Chipped away at a lot of things that have been hanging around. Going to play lots of little GP stuff.

Played The Medium to completion on Series S.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
  • Quake
  • Super Mario Galaxy (replay with Luigi)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (replay)
  • Resident Evil Remake (replay with Chris)
  • Resident Evil VII
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake

Timodus

Oct 27, 2017
14.1. Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4) - platinum trophy
16.1. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4, replay) - DLC missions for the first time + beat hard mode and got all S ranks on Ace difficulty. Slowly working on the platinum trophy.

I'm at the last chapter of Ys IX, and I would've beaten it already and got the platinum trophy if I didn't talk to each PC and NPC everytime they had new dialogue.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
8. Dragon Age: Origins (XSX) | 17th January - 23.5hrs | ★★★½ | Maybe it's because I'd just come off of playing the two KOTOR games, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I still had a blast, don't get me wrong, but something here feels a little less...nuanced. The characters are great, but the setting is kind of a generic medieval fantasy setting. I didn't find the story particularly strong, either. It was also incredibly buggy, but that might be the result of playing it on Xbox Series X. It seemed like the game was loading a little too fast and screwing things up.

15. Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS5) | 28th January - 66hrs | ★★★★ | Yes, the MMO world and quest design kind of sucks (even though I honestly don't think it's that bad), and the combat is nothing special. But honestly, all of that isn't what I'm here for. Dragon Age, to me, is all about storytelling and characters, and I honestly think Inquisition does both of those things extremely well. Better than the previous two games, even. I mean, come on, Dorian's in this game.

Unpopular opinion but i'm with you, Dragon Age Inquisition is the best game in the series, 2014 GOTY by far and one of the best games of the generation, flaws and all.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
1) Jurassic World Evolution (PC) - Fun management game. A bit lacking in the management aspect, but it has some fun concepts and the dinosaurs look great, so it's an enjoyable experience.

2) A Short Hike (PC) - A really nice, tiny adventure game that you can beat in a couple of hours. Very charming artstyle and writing, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

3) Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) - One of the best rhythm games I've played in a while. It takes only an hour to play through it, but every level/song introduces a new mechanic and I enjoyed it so much I plan to play through it again soon.

4) Going Under (PC) - A simple, but very charming roguelike. Fun dialogue, fun artstyle and a very unique setting. Some of the challenges later in the game are very tough, too, which I didn't expect.

5) Immortals: Fenyx Rising (PC) - Proof that Ubisoft can make games that aren't "more of the same". Similar in many aspects to BOTW, but with its own unique twist. Fun writing, amazing world and puzzle design and fantastic traversal mechanics.

6) Megaquarium (PC) - Another fun management game. It's almost a mix of management and puzzles due to having you juggle the different equipment, animals and tanks in a way that makes it efficient for your workers and appealing to your visitors.

7) Bugsnax (PC) - A very weird and unique game that was way better than I expected it to be. A bizarre concept that works because the gameplay mechanics are great and the writing and designs are equally good.

8) OlliOlli (Switch) - Simple to play, incredibly difficult to master. I didn't finish all the challenges because some of them were too hard and I just wanted to skip to OlliOlli 2, which I'm playing right now and is a way better game.

9) Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PC) - After two and a half months of playing on and off, I finished it 100%. A fantastic adventure, but maybe a bit too long and maybe a bit unfinished. It's buggy as hell, but most of the bugs are harmless and didn't take away from my enjoyment of it.

So... pretty productive month, huh.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
I only cleared 2 games in January.

13 sentinels - Although it started poorly with a confusing intro (that expected to know you far more than it divulged) it still ended up being one of my favourite games of the last 12 months. The quality of the writing saved some of the slightly weaker elements such as the combat but overall it's a solid 9/10. Highly recommended

Immortals Fenyx Rising - This is such an unashamed rip off of breath of the wild that I'm surprised Nintendo's legal ninjas weren't summoned. From the world structure to how you upgrade stamina and health it's similarities are stark. But if you're going to do a cover version of a game than picking one of the goats is a good choice.

I really enjoyed some of the differences though. The writing was better than I was led to believe with a few genuinely funny moments as well as some with real pathos. You can't compare the combat to any stylish action greats like bayonetta but it did have its enjoyable elements such as the skill attacks. And the shrine designs and puzzles are pretty well realised with some interesting mechanics. I'm currently playing Valhalla and wish it was as respectful of your time as immortals was. It took me 30 hours roughly to complete Immortals and that was clearing a lot of the side content and being nearly fully powered up. It does have its flaws especially regarding controls and enemy variety but overall I'd say it's a worthy 7/10.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Fallout 4. I didn't "beat" it, but I got about as far as I could, the companion AI was literally broken, and finished Far Harbor, the only reason I really wanted to play it.

Oct 29, 2017
I beat ActRaiser. It is an interesting little snes game that blends lite sim elements and some platforming action. For 1990 it was probably cool and for the first couple towns the sim elements are fun. It does grow tedious as you realize the sim element has no strategy or variety. It was a good time. 8 popcorns/7 lazy boys

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
5 - Little Nightmares (Xbox One);
12 - Gears 5 (Xbox Series);
13 - Outlast (Xbox One);
20 - Dark Souls: Remastered (Nintendo Switch);
21 - New Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox One);
25 - Bleed 2 (Xbox One);
26 - Donut County (Xbox One);
28 - Panzer Dragoon Remake (Nintendo Switch).

Eight in total. The numbers are the day I beat it.

Blu10

Oct 27, 2017
Chronos: Before the ashes - not as good as remnant, but still fun

Immortals Fenix Rising - great game. Enjoyed it more than the latest Zelda

Control - House of leaves come to life. I'll eventually go back and do the dlc

Medium- Enjoyable for what it was, but I generally like more action in my games

Last edited:

zf69

Jan 25, 2021
earth
i beat gta v for the first time. lovely game that nails an open world city better than most modern ones i played despite being from 2013 but i felt a bit of missed potential with the main cast. 4/5

that's all i did in january because of a lack of motivation, life stuff, and the game being pretty long but i wanna finish like 2 to 5 games this month

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
1. 13 Sentinels
2. Guacamelee
3. Hades
4. Hitman 3
5. Cyber Shadow

busy month for me, although it helped that i played 99% of 13 Sentinels in december

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Let's see, Kingdom Hearts and Recom(should've just made it turn based), oh and donut county which was a cute little game I beat in an evening, thanks gamepass

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima 9.5/10 ; amazing surprise, I didn't expect to like this game so much, already one of my favorite games of the generation.
Frostpunk 8/10 ; great game, was in my wish list since the release and didn't disappoint me.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I think I've only completed three, not including Demon's Souls which I already finished back in December.

1) Ghost of Tsushima - A great surprise since I slept on this last summer. I wasn't into the hype, but a friend recommended it in December, so I picked it up and loved it so much I went ahead and got the platinum.

2) 13 Sentinels - I like Vanillaware's stuff, but I was a bit indifferent on this since I'm not a visual novel fan and the combat didn't look that great. Combat was surprisingly fun, and the story was great. Also got the platinum in this, though it was a fairly easy one.

3) Bugsnax - Got my PS5 in November, signed up for PS+ to play Demon's Souls, and saw this was a free download. I had no idea what to expect since I never saw the trailer or understood the memes. It was alright, and got unexpectedly dark.

4) Demon's Souls (PS5) for the fourth time.

NeverSayDie

Apr 29, 2020
Went on a bit of a horror kick this month, finished:

- Resident Evil 7
- Resident Evil 3 Remake
- Little Nightmares
- The Medium
- Hades

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Ace Combat 7: The first flight game I've played in ages. It's marvelously orchestrated and has a surprising variation in mission design. Cool game.
The Last Of Us Remastered: Media I tend to avoid: Thrillers, anything related to zombies and games with stealth sections and focus on survival. TLOU combines everything I dislike but still managed to wow me. The interaction between Joel and Ellie stands out to me as it seems so effortless and natural. And the game never gets boring because it is brilliantly paced and you are constantly introduced to new characters, environments or pieces of lore. Combat was great, too. I really dig the different approaches your weaponry offers to defeat enemies. The next few games I'll play definitely have to be more lighthearted though.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not a game you can quite 'beat', but I am completely into DayZ atm. On Xbox Series X lol

ArthurSensei

Nov 8, 2020
1. Yakuza 0
2. Yakuza Kiwami
3. Yakuza Kiwami 2

First time playing the series and I can't wait to play all of them!

dripordrown

Dec 24, 2020
1. Resident evil 3
2. My friend Pedro
3. Ori and the will of wisps
4. Super Mario odyssey
5. Gears 5 Hivebuster DLC
6. Call of the sea
7. Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice
8. The medium

Also completed my first run in Hades

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Sackboy's Big Adventure PS5
Uncharted: Golden Abyss PSVITA
Advanced Wars 2 GBA

BenjiBurltz

Mar 15, 2018
January was a very productive month with games for me.
Completed:

Cyberpunk - although played most of this during December. Loved it and is my favourite game I've played on Series X so far.

Control - was underwhelming for me, ok but glad I played this on gamepass and didn't buy it.

Hellblade - this was really good, I completed it 1 night, amazing graphics and sound design.

A plague tale - this was pretty good. A solid game but nothing amazing.

Call of the sea - amazing graphics and style. Quite satisfying to solve the puzzles without using a guide.

And half of Hitman 3 - loving it so far and I think Berlin is maybe the best Hitman map I've ever played.

A good start to 2021 :)

Oct 28, 2017
Grim Fandango for the first time. Loved it

The Walking Dead: Michonne.
It repeats some of the tropes they've done multiple times in the proper series, but I still liked it. Michonne is badass (haven't seen the show or watched the comics, so I wasn't familiar with her), and after playing the Final Season and finishing Clementine's story in summer it was nice to visit the setting once more

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Game + Demons Souls
GRIS
The Wolf Among Us
BugsNax

Extras
Resident Evil 8 demo
A lot of Just Dance 2021, Working at home for a year make try trash like this so I can stay active.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
- Ori & the Will of the Wisps
- If Found
- Bury Me, My Love
- Mass Effect Andromeda
- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes

Plus more runs on Hades and online Mario Kart with friends.

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Only finished 3 games but they were big ones.

Assassin's Creed Origins - I really enjoyed Ubisoft's first take on making the series into RPGs but there was a bit too much filler which was required to level up and I don't like how weapons become obsolete so fast. Great overall though.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - More of the same compared to Origins but I felt the skills made more of a difference, exploration was better and it was awesome how they incorporated more ancient mythology. Also a great game.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - Replay on Hard mode and that actually made the game significantly more fun since you had to use different strategies and characters more. The game has its issues with the filler being mediocre but it also crafts some really memorable sequences and has a top notch combat system for an RPG. An essential game in my book.

Edit: I realized that I actually beat a fourth game, Plants vs. Zombies for the Xbox 360 since it became free with EA Play/Game Pass. Still a really fun game and I'd love to fully complete it again but a campaign playthrough will have to do. Great game.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Managed to play through 4 games in January:

- Bugsnax
- Hades (true ending)
- Hitman 2016
- Hitman 2

Stainless

Feb 26, 2018
Nashville,TN
Just one for me,
Mafia Definitive Edition

It was a steam Xmas gift from a buddy, I thought it was pretty decent. Was in the mood for a linear story based game and it definitely was that.
After I finished, I was looking to get Mafia 2 then realized I already own it on PS3. Made it through about 4 chapters but the gun controls specifically were too difficult for me on a DualShock 3, so I'll wait until the trilogy or games 2 & 3 go on sale and pick it up on pc or PS4

DarkTom

Nov 9, 2017
This month I beat 3 games, all on Xbox One (Game Pass my love).

Banjo-Tooie
Even better than the first game. The levels are huge, almost every jiggy is an adventure in itself, with several actions to do, sometimes a bit too much (like the dinosaur kids, I had get tips on the internet for this one and a couple others).
It's more of an Action/Adventure game than a platforming game, writing is really funny, characters are great.
It's visually appealing and they improved the controls and the collisions.
Excellent game. 9/10

Halo Reach
Halo is a franchise I really like but I almost quit gaming in the 360 area, so I missed 3 and Reach. Played 4 and 5 since then.
I decided to play or replay the games in chronological order, and what a start with Reach.
Halo: CE is a favorite of mine fueled with nostalgia, but once I'll play it again on MCC I will probably put the campaign behind Reach.
Action and level design are the best I experienced in FPS since... well Halo:CE.
And the story is good, a nice surprise for a Halo game (I love the universe of the games but the stories, not so much).
Awesome. 9/10

Pikuniku
Nice little game with cute visuals and funny characters. The story is fine too. Nothing special, but really fine.
Controls are all right, secrets are fun to find.
A good short game to take a breathe between bigger ones. 7/10

I dropped several games that I did not like enough to keep playing :
DOOM (1993) - 5/10
Homo Machina (Android) - 3/10
de Blob - 3/10
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - 4/10
Trauma Center : Under the Knife (DS) - 3/10

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I beat Ori and the Blind Forest, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and Sonic Lost World in January.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
I had taken a break from JRPGs in 2020 to focus on my backlog and new releases, but on January I decided to pursue some classics that I'd missed:
-Dragon Quest I, II, III on Switch

Currently working on Dragon Quest V and Super Mario RPG will probably be next.

This month I beat 3 games, all on Xbox One (Game Pass my love).

Banjo-Tooie
Even better than the first game. The levels are huge, almost every jiggy is an adventure in itself, with several actions to do, sometimes a bit too much (like the dinosaur kids, I had get tips on the internet for this one and a couple others).
It's more of an Action/Adventure game than a platforming game, writing is really funny, characters are great.
It's visually appealing and they improved the controls and the collisions.
Excellent game. 9/10

Absolutely agree. Every time there's some type of discourse on Banjo Kazooie/Tooie I'm always part of the minority that enjoys Tooie more. Always good to see it get praised :D