• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I've been going through my backlog and had finished 99% of it. All that was really left was Watch Dogs 2, which I got at launch. I played it and am honestly maybe over halfway through with it and eventually stopped, until now. I loved the first Watch Dogs, but man, I don't know. Something about Watch Dogs 2 frustrated me, even though I was having fun. Some of the missions are kind of rinse and repeat and overly difficult? I kept on getting killed because someone would spot me, and all the sudden I'd have 20 FBI agents around me. Additionally, it felt very "open world basic gun game with hacking" to me, and I just didn't really want to continue. :( It's a shame, because I do like where the story was going. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of Watch Dogs 1, 2 does feel like a huge tonal shift.

How far was I? I did the FBI mission and am trying to recover Wrench's mask. Was I anywhere close? If I was close to the end, I'll reconsider and finish it.

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
God Of War, for me. Wasn't enjoying it after about four hours so decided to cash in and sell it while it was still worth something, rather than stick it in a cupboard and never revisit it.

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who didn't enjoy it.
I did this exact same thing last month. I realized that I was already getting a feeling uggh at the start of combats within a few hours. Just wasn't enjoying the gameplay. I might try again later this year but right now it just didn't click. Ended up picking up Code Vein instead and have enjoyed it much more. I know it doesn't have the same level of polish or budget but it has that fun factor for me.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I bear the shame of a backlog fit for a king but alas, my time is fleeting and the need to be a human that also interacts with everyday life gets in the way.

oh the shame...

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I've been blasting through unfinished or short games in my backlog to get my 52 game completion quota for the year off to a good start...

... I made the mistake of trying Bullet Witch. Uninstalled 5 minutes after launching, that's got to be some kind of record! What an awful, terrible game that was.

Ramiss

Jan 5, 2018
Watchdogs 1 Just lost interest in it
Tales of Zesteria The blandest game I have ever played

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I don't want to accept I abandoned Octopath but I haven't touched it in 7 months. Last thing I did was finishing Olberic's story and everyone else is 3/4 of the way.

Oct 25, 2017
I am starting to question whether I will stick with Stephen's Sausage Roll. I love puzzle games and had no trouble with The Witness or Obra Dinn, but 80 sausages in and I'm starting to spend up to an hour or two per puzzle in this. And figuring things out is starting to have a "ugh" feeling rather than the sense of accomplishment I was feeling earlier on.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
A lot of PlayStation exclusives even though I've pretty much been a PS4 player this gen. TLoU is the first that jumps to mind. I can see why people like it but I didn't enjoy it at all.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Red Dead 2. I could feel myself going numb with each passing hour of that game. Basically, gameplay as shallow as GTA's, none of the charm in the open world or the writing. I get that the story is this epic emotional slow burn, but you better give me engaging gameplay (and traversal) to make me want to stick for the long haul, the game just did not deliver.

This one hurts, Bloodstained. The great artstyle of the early game just fell through in favor of generic cave, desert cave with fire swaps of older enemies, ice/ water cave with ice/water swaps of older enemies, etc. And loading times so horrific that the game straight up has to change from one static image to another after the minute mark of loading.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Final Fantasy 15 is the worst game I have ever finished.
I played the Pocket Edition on Switch and hate-finished it. What a god-awful story. I'm not a fan of modern FF at all. If you, dear reader, are into it, more power to you!
GTA IV. I just stopped playing, I didn't care for the story or the gameplay.
Same. The only GTA game I finished is GTA III. I was in love with it. I played it probably over 100 hours back when it came out. I rented it from a Blockbuster (remember those?) before it became popular (there was a brief time right when it was released people didn't know what to make of it, and then it just blew up), and I bought it immediately after. I tried Vice City afterwards and couldn't get into it. I think I had my fill of GTA games with the third one. Tried to play IV, and I couldn't get into it either.
I don't want to accept I abandoned Octopath but I haven't touched it in 7 months. Last thing I did was finishing Olberic's story and everyone else is 3/4 of the way.
You're done with it, IMO. I'd recommend finishing Primrose's story because it's pretty great and haunting.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I gave up on Wario World, Sonic Adventure DX, and reminded myself how I gave up on Yoshi's Wooly World, Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World, and Yoshi's Crafted World

Wario had the collecting element that the game itself isn't good enough to warrent the time investment, I got sick of the non-linear nature of Sonic Adventure, and all of those Yoshi games have too many levels so I burnt out.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Getting pretty close to dropping Judgement.

First chapter done and I think I was miserable the entire time. Story seems interesting but the gameplay is a massive step down from the Yakuza games. So many terrible mini games like photo hunts and awkwardly searching the environment for that one "tell" that will just advance the damn story already. Gameplay is so tedious.

The mortality system is a garbage feature with the combat in this one, too. All in all, this is shaping up to be a game I'll just watch a supercut on YT of all the cutscenes for the story instead of playing it.

Thekiddfran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony's constant sales on PSN have got me impulse buying games that I will never finish. It goes like this for me: Start new game, play a few hours and then go back to Modern Warfare. It sucks ha

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
God of War PS4, 4 hours in, was just a slog.

Witcher 3 I didn't really give a proper go, maybe an hour, but was also not in the mood. This was about 4 years ago, so maybe the recent hype can do it.

DQ11 was technically finished but I don't care enough about the characters to want to chase the true ending like I did for 8.

Metro from 2019 seemed ok, but stuck pretty early on after an escape and can't get to the waypoint lol I'm out of ammo anyway, ha

I started Vampyr more cause I liked their previous games but don't give a shit about vampires and when the fight mechanics kicked in 10 mins, I dropped it

Untitled Goose Game I can restart but something happened (someone closed a gate and now I can't get them to reopen). Literally the second thing to do, I can probably restart.

NBA 2K20, christ. Not even the online stuff or the mtx affect me as i only play management mode but you gotta earn being able to sub-in players yourself lol And it's not evn dlc or something you buy. You just had to tinker with the last thing thst wasn't a tire fire.

Far Cry 4 I got pretty far into, stopped when I had to pick sides and found both camps so terrible in their beliefs and acts, I refused to continue playing haha

A lot of other smaller Game Pass games.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I am giving up on Death Stranding for the second time after 35 hours.
I had some fun in Ep3 but now in Ep6 I can't bear the repetitive gameplay loop and the Tommy Wiseau writing any more.
Well, just like how I dropped the other Decima engine game.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever go back to Yakuza Zero. My save file says I'm 10 hours in, and it feels like nothing interesting has happened so far. I picked it up based on the unavoidable excitement people online have shown for the series and this entry in particular, and because people said it's a good entry point for the franchise, but I guess these games just aren't for me. I like the idea of Yakuza, but actually playing it, with the repetitive combat, annoying minigames, and dull story have driven me away. Sorry guys, I'm just not into it.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Norhing in 2019, but over the years:

Valkyria Chronicles - I finished chapter 7 my first try, but the next chapter where the two leads are separated from the rest of the group, ugh. Not a fan of SRPGs generally either. Great graphics and music though.

Dragon's Crown - you have to redo all the levels and beat bosses under a time limit? No, thanks. Never dropped a game so fast.

RE Umbrella Chronicles - the difficulty and the camera made me say "I'm good." I can't remember if I even bothered starting Darkside Chronicles, but if I did, I dropped it too.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Uninstalled it last night as I just can't see it through. The plot is boring/barely there and paced terribly, and it's way to focused on puzzles bs the more combat/action oriented first two games in the reboot trilogy. I get that's more true to the series' roots, but I never liked the old games and really enjoyed the last two games.

Scratch this one I'd put the PS4 in rest mode without confirming the delete and ended up giving it another shot the other day and finished it last night. It picked up some in the second half and I didn't get stuck in tombs as often. I think some of the ones I didn't like much were DLC tombs—so in hindsight I should have bought the base game in the sale rather than the Definitive Edition.

It's still the weakest of the trilogy, but I'm glad I pushed through as the back 1/3rd of the game was better. Especially the last mission which was one of the few action and combat oriented sections that felt like some thing from the first two games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Ugh. Fire Emblem Three Houses is now a candidate for "the abandoning".

It's not quite grabbing me and the text is really hurting my eyes.

bnx

Mar 18, 2018
Middle earth: Shadow of war

Enjoyed the first game. Just cannot get into this one.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Gave up on a couple of PS Now games this week:

Fallout New Vegas - I beat this back in the day on ps3, but felt like re-exploring it. Despite enjoying it even more than my old play through, I felt consistently underpowered for some reason. The main reason I gave it up though was because of the shitty streaming. Constantly had my characters look up at the sky during battles due to egregious latency and sometimes had to wait for the connection to become stronger before proceeding. PS3 games are useless on PS Now as far as I'm concerned.

Gravity Rush 1: The protagonist seems endearing enough, but it just didn't really pique my interest after an hour and change of playing. I have other games in my backlog I'd rather focus on.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Basically the majority of games I have ever played. But some recent ones:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons- Basically stopped playing one day and never picked it up again. I can only do the same repetitive stuff for so long. Even playing with friends wasn't enough to spark my interests again.

Pokemon Shield: I enjoyed the initial playthrough of it, and I may do another playthrough of it in Japanese, But I just can't get excited about the raids, the DLC or the other post game content they keep hyping.

Final Fantasy IV in Japanese: I beat 5 no problem, but the reading level required in 4 feels much higher, and it doesn't help that the original SFC version is completely written in kana. I decided to play through on the English GBA version instead.

Magic Knight's Rayearth SFC: I may return to this, since its not a hard read, and I'm more than half way through it. It's just the gameplay itself is boring, and its not the best way to experience the story by any means.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
This virtually never happens to me...but it actually did just recently with Battle Chasers Nightwar......it was mt first time playing a turn based game like this and although things were fine for a good while I got to a point where the game became very difficult because I don't think I built out my characters very well.Not the games fault,just my lack of experience with the genre.There were so many attributes and abilities it was obvious you could build out a super powered team if you knew what you were doing....unfortunately I did not,lol.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Greedfall. Such a bore of a game. I don't know how I still managed to put in about 25hrs.

Garegga

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2)
Started multiple times, but it is too hard for me.
And the saving system (EU-Version) sucks.
Man, I really wanted to finish the game :(

ER30

May 31, 2018
Octopath: too much grinding later in the game

Mad Max: typical open world fatigue

Jun 17, 2018
Games I've abandoned recently.
  • FFVIIR - Enjoyed some of it but it railroads you pretty heavily and the story is so slow moving. Combat is fun but not enough to keep me going.
  • TLoU2 - Not sure I understand the fuss at all. Obviously it is a very well produced piece of work with great graphics, animation and sound, but it's not clicking with me. I'm finding the game extremely boring and some of the combat sequences are not for me at all.
I also dropped the new Star Wars Jedi game after the first 2 planets, not clicking with me.

I don't think most of the high budget AAA cinematic games are for me by the looks of things.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Recents:

Jedi Fallen Order. Starts brilliantly. Quickly found it tedious and boring. "Oh. It's a souls game." Bye bye. There's not enough adderal in the world for my ADD to repeat slow areas that often.

Doom Eternal. I loved loved loved Doom. I could not find the enjoyment in the new one.

Used to happen a lot more back in the day, but games are so much easier now and controls and mechanics actually work most of the time. (Most of the time.)

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Breath of the Wild - Didn't really like the art style, got bored with it and sold it.
MGS5 - I forgot why I stopped playing this. I still have the disk.
Read Dead 2 - Same with MGS5. The install/download of the game is much longer than my playtime lol. Don't plan on returning.
Control - I got bored with the gameplay. I find it pretty bland.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The Outer Worlds for me. I went in hoping to love it, and I found the first few hours promising, but about halfway through I hit a particular quest that just threw all the game's shortcomings into sharp relief for me. It was a murder mystery quest in the main town area on Monarch, and I was really excited to get stuck into it because I love a good murder mystery. So I found the murder scene, it marked a waypoint on my map. Went there, spoke to a suspect, another waypoint. Go there, talk, another waypoint. Another waypoint, another waypoint, a speech check, end quest. That was it. No opportunity to do my own detective work, no point where I have to deduce the right culprit, just follow the big yellow marker on the map, go here, here, here, done.

It just ruined the whole experience for me. All of a sudden I saw through the artifice and realized the entire game was just pingponging between waypoints until the quests were done. Precious few of them give you the opportunity to make a meaningful difference to the world, but what really hurts is just how braindead the RPG systems feel. I spec'd as a stealthy character with high speech abilities, but the default weapon handling abilities in that game meant that I could also effortlessly shoot my way out of any combat situation without so much as spending a point on a gun stat. I stopped bothering with stealth and just shot my way through areas because it was faster. Without even realizing it I had an inventory full of loot, more money than was even useful in the game, a pile of unspent stat points because I just didn't need higher stats to do anything. I always had at least three guaranteed-effective stat check options to get what I wanted out of any given conversation. It was as if I'd used the console to max out every stat at the start of the game.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
  • Bravely Default: I gave up in chapter 5, what the hell was going on there,...
  • Watch Dogs 2: boring game from the beginning
  • Zelda Majora's Mask 3D: I got tired of going forward and backwards in time, and losing all the progress I did previously, it's horrible to see villagers having problems over and over again after helping them
  • Uncharted 1: booooring!! I don't get the good reviews of this game
  • South Park The Fractured But Whole: the game was awesome but I got stuck in a combat near the end of the game, after 10 tries I gave up
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider: same problem, and I was really enjoying these games
  • Skyrim for Switch: this game gave me headaches and I don't know why
  • Crash 1 remake: difficult and not that entertaining, this game has not aged well
  • SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked: the game is pretty hard and I sucked

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
Gave up last week on Jedi Fallen Order. I was nearing the end but was so fed up with the traversal all the time. It's much more a constant obstacle course than a Star Wars world.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I have given up on so many games it's not worth counting.

Keep me doing the same loop again and again and unless there is an amazing story I'll stop at some point. If that's the end great , if not so be it.

Games are so cheap esp with game pass I'm not wasting my time going through obvious padding in a game

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
Void Bastards is the only game I've actively dropped this year - I *love* the artstyle but really don't like anything else abiut the game at all. Movement feels off, the menus are rubbish and the narrative is a bit smug and self satisfied.

The Outer Worlds for me. I went in hoping to love it, and I found the first few hours promising, but about halfway through I hit a particular quest that just threw all the game's shortcomings into sharp relief for me. It was a murder mystery quest in the main town area on Monarch, and I was really excited to get stuck into it because I love a good murder mystery. So I found the murder scene, it marked a waypoint on my map. Went there, spoke to a suspect, another waypoint. Go there, talk, another waypoint. Another waypoint, another waypoint, a speech check, end quest. That was it. No opportunity to do my own detective work, no point where I have to deduce the right culprit, just follow the big yellow marker on the map, go here, here, here, done.

It just ruined the whole experience for me. All of a sudden I saw through the artifice and realized the entire game was just pingponging between waypoints until the quests were done. Precious few of them give you the opportunity to make a meaningful difference to the world, but what really hurts is just how braindead the RPG systems feel. I spec'd as a stealthy character with high speech abilities, but the default weapon handling abilities in that game meant that I could also effortlessly shoot my way out of any combat situation without so much as spending a point on a gun stat. I stopped bothering with stealth and just shot my way through areas because it was faster. Without even realizing it I had an inventory full of loot, more money than was even useful in the game, a pile of unspent stat points because I just didn't need higher stats to do anything. I always had at least three guaranteed-effective stat check options to get what I wanted out of any given conversation. It was as if I'd used the console to max out every stat at the start of the game.

I absolutely agree with this summary of Outer Worlds - I really enjoyed the story (which is rare for me) but it was like I was playing it on God Mode or something. I only completed it because I had time to kill and it required effort to actually play the game.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain, I was finding the game extremely boring, the police segments felt like busy work and the combat sections almost always being on samey looking spaces didn't really make me want to continue playing even if the combat was kind of fun.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Almost none once started, with some infamous exceptions.

Latest one was Metro: Exodus.
Too much disappointment.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I always like to hope that I will return to a game I started way back but looking at my STEAM it shows some sad truths. The last time I opened Dragon's Dogma was 2016 and it is only 12 games in my Last Played section. Wolfenstein and Shiness haven't been touched since 2017.

Starting a game is always exciting but learning the mechanics or missing an important storybeat/side quest is the death knell for my playthroughs. I have given up .Hack//Mutation because I didn't talk to three NPC's when The World corrupted the main Zone thus keeping me from finishing the game's book. I do feel as around 2019 - 2020 I may have turned a new leaf where minor things don't bother me as much and someday I will still get back to Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion (last played 2009)even though the game datalog skipped one entry because I turned right first instead of left in one dungeon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Games I've abandoned recently.
  • FFVIIR - Enjoyed some of it but it railroads you pretty heavily and the story is so slow moving. Combat is fun but not enough to keep me going.
  • TLoU2 - Not sure I understand the fuss at all. Obviously it is a very well produced piece of work with great graphics, animation and sound, but it's not clicking with me. I'm finding the game extremely boring and some of the combat sequences are not for me at all.
I also dropped the new Star Wars Jedi game after the first 2 planets, not clicking with me.

I don't think most of the high budget AAA cinematic games are for me by the looks of things.
I played FFVIIR all the way through to the end. Wish I stopped earlier.
Especially considering that at the end of the game, you find out that YOU are the bad guy. I mean, YOU, literally, as in YOU the player.
Astral Chain, I was finding the game extremely boring, the police segments felt like busy work and the combat sections almost always being on samey looking spaces didn't really make me want to continue playing even if the combat was kind of fun.
I did finish this, and I'll say it's a great game, however, I will say it's too long. The sweet spot for games like this is 10-15 hours.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
The Witcher 3, like 4 times by now lol. It just feels so unsatisfying to move and fight in. I like the world though.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brink, 5 minutes in. Couldn't do it

Never buy used games for $6 at 1 in the morning on Black Friday, boys and girls