jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition being a cross-gen game meant that they had to cut some features and tone down the maps because the game wasn't running on PS3/360.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the analysis, it changed my mind! I did not consider sales when thinking of it! 🤔
You certainly have a point though, considering the later games certainly smooth a few rougher spots in the games! Though I do feel that 2 sorta lost a couple of things I loved about it in the remake (certain content certainly).

If anything, I appreciate both versions existing so I can enjoy both!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Days Gone. The PS5 and PC versions are what the game should have been like at launch.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The first Just Cause was such a simplistic open world game that had to run on PS2 as well as the then next gen consoles and had nothing to it. Just Cause 2 came out a few years later and was like a world away from the first game.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If Splinter Cell: Blacklist launched one year later and focused the marketing on the stealth playstyles, the series wouldn't have laid dormant for the last decade.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
latest

A generation before it's time, I really do feel like it would've done super well on PS3/360. So sad that it flopped and then the third/potential fourth game wasn't finished.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem.

Partly the extra dev time for content and polish. Partly because completely open zones and fewer restrictions on flight (speed and height) would also have helped the core mechanics and gameplay fantasy massively.
I came into this thread to post this for the reasons you mentioned. It didn't help that the game also struggled to run well at points on base PS4. It just felt like it arrived a little too early and maybe could have been something more successful if it'd released early in the PS5/XSX generation. Of course, the game had been in development for a while, so I get why it released when it did.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
latest

A generation before it's time, I really do feel like it would've done super well on PS3/360. So sad that it flopped and then the third/potential fourth game wasn't finished.
I wanna say the PAL/Euro version of the first game cut the online mode... which is just so hilariously sad.

Its definitely a shame that a few of the online games from the DC/PS2 gen didnt see a release on the 360 when online was really taking off... its wild when I look at Japanese fighting games I have on my DC from Capcom and most had online play, and that's basically all stripped out from the localised versions. Sure we'd have been stuck with delay based netcode but that's better than no netcode ;(

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
If Splinter Cell: Blacklist launched one year later and focused the marketing on the stealth playstyles, the series wouldn't have laid dormant for the last decade.

Were there technical issues? LIke, I know it did poorly commercially, but I don't remember it being hobbled by performance issues (I 110% might be wrong here).

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk and Control were the two most obvious examples from the last generation.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Every single game released on the Xbox 360 or PS3 that ran at below 720p or was capped at 30fps. The amount of PS4 remasters we got that eliminated those 2 problems is my proof.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Mirror's edge Catalyst. The low power CPUs on last gen killed their level design, making them need to have "bridges" to split up the loading, which killed the running
Not only the level design, but graphically, man… go play Catalyst today on PC at 4K, 120 FPS, all settings maxed out, and it still falls flat visually.

There's obviously the issue of art style — Catalyst is just straight up a more generic, over-designed and bland world artistically than what we got in the original game no matter how you slice it — but that ruddy first-gen TAA image treatment just wrecks the image quality even at crazy high resolutions.

Fast forward a generation and they'd have RT at their disposal, a better TAA implementation, HDR, SSDs in every machine as their baseline, 120 FPS support on consoles, etc. It would seriously be a completely different product, and likely a far better one for having benefitted from those things alone. They could have even launched with VR support on PSVR 2 and PC! Their Xbox version wouldn't have launched with a dismal 900p resolution that looks downright unacceptable on modern displays!

Such a fucking tragedy. The follow-up to one of my favorite games of all time and it was just a total lemon, death by a thousand cuts. I'll never get over it.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 4
Not for technical reasons, but to give the series room to breathe and so the Xbox One had a must play launch game.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Were there technical issues? LIke, I know it did poorly commercially, but I don't remember it being hobbled by performance issues (I 110% might be wrong here).
Kinda sorta.

It ran on a fork of Unreal Engine 2.5, launched on two discs on 360, required an HD texture pack, boasted sub-720p resolutions on every platform other than the Wii U, had pretty long loading times (30-60 seconds per level) and insane screen tearing on every console version.

For the time, a game bumping up against 720p and mostly holding 30 FPS was fine enough, but it was far from perfect and the PC version was a generational leap on decent hardware.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII. It was a shimmery mess on the PS1. It was far too ambitious for that hardware. They really should have moved it to the PS2.

Ryuhza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
A ton of PS3 titles from around 2012-2013

The early days of PS4 were majorly lacking in interesting exclusives, and since there was no backwards compatibility, a lot of interesting titles, particularly those with a multiplayer focus, were left on a console that was quickly outmoded, without much time to find an audience.

There was a sense of 'fuck it, I'll buy anything' in those early days that could have been to the benefit of games like Twisted Metal, Starhawk, or PS All-Stars.

Mostly Twisted Metal. Besides resolution, the graphics are still impressive for PS3. I'm imagining a version where the online wasn't broken during key parts of the release, and there was a traditional 'arcade' mode with unique drivers and endings to go along with the more cinematic story mode. Throw in a few more maps and maybe we wouldn't be living in this endless dearth of decent vehicular combat games.

View: https://youtu.be/EyiSuQk8Fys

Last edited:

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
While it's a PC game, The Sims 3 should probably have been saved for The Sims 4. Because the whole open world life simulator where everything is seamless and everyone live their own lives is a fantastic concept. But... the PC that could run that concept without some harsh compromises didn't exist until about a decade after its original release (and even then you have to mod the game to be able to use all that power).

If we had gotten a safe-ish Sims 2 sequel that took that and built on it, the whole "time passes in sync for the neighborhood" part would be plenty as a new feature, and left the open world until it was actually possible to do well, it would have been a much better game. Now we have a Sims 4 that in some ways feels like a regression from Sims 3, even if it's from the potential that Sims 3 had and not so much the actual game which had several issues, performance and otherwise.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wanna say the PAL/Euro version of the first game cut the online mode... which is just so hilariously sad.

Aye it did get it cut, very sad too as I think I preferred 1's scenarios tbh.

I played File 2 online back in the day but I actually got to play File 1 as well online thanks to the fan servers that are currently up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Aye it did get it cut, very sad too as I think I preferred 1's scenarios tbh.

I played File 2 online back in the day but I actually got to play File 1 as well online thanks to the fan servers that are currently up.
Fan servers really do save these games for sure... I really should look into it one of these days as I really wanna experience it properly.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy XII comes immediately to mind. The gambit system felt a bit too experimental for many people in the PS2 gen, but in the following gen we started seeing a lot more embrace of more diverse and experimental gameplay systems, thanks to western and indie games really breaking more solidly into the console gaming market.

Plus the system was really underpowered for the scope of some of the locations. Rabanastre could have looked way more expansive and bustling with PS3/360-level geometry and memory, and lots of outdoor areas that were broken up into multiple smaller areas with frequent transitional loading points could have been much, much more seamless.

There is no way in hell Square-Enix would have made FF XII for the PS3. The HD transition was absolutely brutal for them, and adding to an already troubled development history...

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Props to Sony for being mostly hands off with their Studios but there are times that I kinda wished they would have been a bit firm with them when it came to late gen games like God of War 2 on PS2 in 2007! Or Gran Turismo 6 just a month after the release of the PS4. Stuff like Puppeteer, Into the Nexud and GOW Ascension should not have been stuck on PS3. I get the tech reasons behind them but still, the PS4 was lacking/missing out on way too many games during and after launch.

Driveclub was too early for the live service wave. Heck they kinda had the idea of battle passes too.

Blood & Truth would have been even better had it released on PSVR2 instead (heck a bunch of PSVR1 sans Astro's Recue Mission would have been better a gen later).

Afrika should have been a PS4 title. A little too ambitious for PS3 hardware.

The light gun shooter wave that started with Wii and ended with PS Move and Kinect like with Time Crisis 4 and the RE games, these needed to be VR titles a gen later.

Lot of cross gen titles also being held back by last gen ports in 2014 for dumb reasons like "consoles are dying mobile is the future". Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor and Destiny all suffered because of that.

Last edited:

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Far Cry 3. Ran pretty terribly on consoles apparently. (Personally I played it on PC and loved it).

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always felt Bioshock Infinite would've been a lot closer to the preview footage than the end product had they have waited until the next gen.

Oct 31, 2017
A ton of PS3 titles from around 2012-2013

The early days of PS4 were majorly lacking in interesting exclusives, and since there was no backwards compatibility, a lot of interesting titles, particularly those with a multiplayer focus, were left on a console that was quickly outmoded, without much time to find an audience.

There was a sense of 'fuck it, I'll buy anything' in those early days that could have been to the benefit of games like Twisted Metal, Starhawk, or PS All-Stars.

The bold is the perfect description of 2014 on the PS4, damn. 😂

Driveclub was too early for the live service wave. Heck they kinda had the idea of battle passes too.

I don't know if Driveclub was too early as much as its server failures doomed it when it launched.

Plenty of online games didn't have the issues of either of these games in 2014, and with a whole year's delay, I'm just not sure the problem was it came out too early. Not an expert, though, so hell if I know what would have happened if it launched with few issues.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Control was horrendous on PS4. Definitely should've been PS5/XSX only.

And for non-tech reasons, I think Warhawk would do well on PC/PS5 if it released today. The PS3's online compatibilities were not great and held the game back from being bigger than it was.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Last Guardian already technically waited a generation, but playing the Day 1 PS4 version on PS5 via BC at 60FPS, I feel it should've waited till this gen. It's so good.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I would've liked to have seen Assassin's Creed Unity on current gen systems; much better chance the AI would've worked as intended. It sounds like Ubisoft were expecting much better CPUs in the PS4 and Xbox One when they designed the large crowds. It was interesting reading The Making of Assassin's Creed: 15th Anniversary book where they outright state they were too ambitious with Unity at the time. The co-op in particular sounds like it really spread their resources thin, and didn't allow them to focus on the story and single player as much as they should've, which explains why none of the games since then have had it.

Another one is Crysis 3 in 2013. It was in development for less than two full years, and Crytek had trouble getting the engine working on PS3 and 360. We finally did get PS4 and Xbox One versions nearly a decade later, but I can only imagine how much better it could've been had it been developed exclusively for those platforms and PC originally, and if Crytek had more time.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Bayonetta 3. Game is just way too ambitious for the Switch hardware and the stuff it pulls off in real time is insane but absolutely destroyed the image quality on actual Switch hardware. 99% of my playtime is on an emulator at 1440p looking clean as hell and it's a night and day experience compared to my first playthrough on an actual Switch. I'm excited for more people to play it the way it should on a Switch 2 as I fully believe they will release some sort of director's cut or enhanced version for it.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017

Always my go-to answer for this question. It would have done so much better the gen afterward, where battle royales (and other assorted multiplayer games with tons of people at once) were everywhere and thriving.
Yeah, Zipper really had a string of bad luck those last few years. Maybe if SOCOM 4 had released first and was something along the lines of the previous entries, they might have had enough momentum to make it to the PS4 generation.

latest

Yeah, this is also a good one. Unified online services didn't become standardized until gen 7.

Oct 30, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 4 on a next gen console, it feels constrained and still to this day is stuck on PS3.

Honorable mention, Mercenaries (1).

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Halo 4 needed to be an Xbox One launch title. Would've been by far the best exclusive launch title of the 8th gen. Textures wouldn't be low res, 60FPS would've been a big step up compared to 3/Reach, and then compare it to COD Ghosts that holiday? Halo 4 against Black Ops 2 was a disaster for player retention, but a 2013 launch probably keeps Halo competitive for play time.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
If Destiny 1 hadn't targeted ps3, they wouldn't have been hamstrung with an archaic content pipeline and then maybe it would still be playable today.