Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I think FEAR falls into this. I just played FEAR 2 yesterday and felt it was meh. Solid 6.5/10 for me. It followed FPS trends of the time instead of properly building off what the original did right.

Bonus mention for Crysis 2. Solid game on it's own, but soooo different from the original.

ZodiacWolve

May 22, 2022
The Mortal Kombat reboot series. Every game after the ninth mainline game is meh, though I do still love MKX's gameplay… but yh.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
For some reason I want to say "Titanfall"… Don't get me wrong, the campaign in the sequel is fantastic, but PvP definitely lost some of its charm. Titans in PvP got less satisfying.
And then if you consider Apex Legends to be a part of the franchise, then Titanfall/Apex is an obvious answer.

+
MGS kinda fits, though a point at which the series took a wrong turn is up for debate.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Jet Set Radio went from being a masterclass in arcade action to a dull as dishwater, sparse, subpar collectathon platformer in Jet Set Radio Future.

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us. The sequel lost the great world building, the comradery between characters, and sometimes heart warming story in a post apocalyptic world. For mean spirited, vindictive, extreme violence, terribly written trite.

(What? This isn't the unpopular options thread?:)

I'm in total agreement with you. This is coming from a guy that has Joel and Ellie hanging on a canvas in my gaming mancave.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Parasite Eve 2 is a bit divisive, though I think it's been appreciated more ever since The 3rd Birthday.
The 3rd Birthday looked at PE and said, "You know what people don't like about Parasite Eve? Parasite Eve." jfc what a slap in the face that game was

Oct 29, 2017
Assassin's Creed after Revelations. The early games felt like they just kind of let you loose in the world and the only way to fail is to die. Doing the missions "well" (not getting detected or doing the assassination in a specific way) might get you a bonus, but you could screw up and still pass the mission at least.

Starting with AC3, the missions are all highly scripted and you get a desynch for every little mistake. The games are good in their own way, it just feels like a different thing.

Ironically Origins restored the old feeling for me even though the gameplay itself is totally different. There's no script you have to stick to. Stealth, combat, cheese it somehow... just kill the guy and for the most part the game doesn't care how.

cuboid

Mar 20, 2022
I think DOOM Eternal making the majority of your movement tied to a cooldown mechanic instead of just "you move fast, have fun" made it feel way less special.

This is a good shout. It's a sequel that went "what people really wanted from the the pure, uninterrupted, kinetic flow of DOOM 2016 was more lore and a hub world to slow everything down."

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Dragon Age: Origins - > Dragon Age 2

I was a decent game in its own right, but for PC players in particular, it was step in a different direction that made it a just a whole lot less interesting in terms of gameplay in particular.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
This would be my pick. Dead Rising also but the 1st game was no masterpiece like Metroid Prime.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Call of Duty after 2 or 3.

Those were still kinda games that, while also being released on consoles, felt they were still developed with PC in mind.
They also felt that they take the "war" itself more seriously than everything after 3.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Plants vs Zombies. The first game is brilliant and a true classic. The sequel exists. You can really tell that they kicked out everybody involved in the first game.

Bravely Default 2 felt like they gave the franchise to a new developer who liked the games but didn't understand why the gameplay in Bravely Default 1 & Bravely Second was so good. It's a really messy game with some baffling changes & a lack of tight balance.

It's been ages since I've played it, but Half-Minute Hero 2 felt like a step down from the first game.

Oh and Parasite Eve 2 is the best game in the series.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3. I enjoy the game, but there's something very calculated and by the books about it that feels like it's missing something that KH1 and KH2 had. You see moments of those games in it, and the game's battle system is great, but it feels compromised or hollow in ways that the original titles didn't.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Banjo Kazooie - both sequels (nuts and bolts counts) after the first lost all the magic and were no where near as good as the first.

God Of War - every GOW game after the 3rd was not as good or interesting as the original trilogy.

Uncharted - no console Uncharted game (never played the Handheld ones) was as good as the OG trilogy. Uncharted 4 in particular was a long dull slog of a game with a shoe horned brother and slow flash back levels.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Trails of Cold Steel.

Gods I hate this series.

(Though I'll switch this to Lloyd's games if they end up bad)

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Halo

Online killed the measured pace of og multiplayer, along with destructible vehicles, one-hit kill weapons, and dual-wielding (all garbage)

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Star Wars Battlefront II (2005)

The first game had original maps not based movies that played well, were asymmetrical, giving each faction an different feel on each map, as opposed to hyper symmetrical maps that were just trying to look like the movies and put game design second. Meanwhile the sequel cuts almost all of the first game's maps, and instead gives you maps that are mostly based on seconds of Episode III footage. They aren't very interesting once you got over the "it's just like the movie" novelty, and were mostly just grids and open areas.
The maps in the first game reminded me almost of slightly larger Halo maps, while in the second, they were just movie sets where they tried to just make up for unknown parts by cloning rooms.

The first game's factions also had differences in the base units weapons that also gave them a unique feel, while the sequel made the handling, movement, and equipment load out exactly the same for all but the one special unit each faction got.

The first game had some good modes too that were missing in the second.
The game just felt worse, while having more polished visuals and Episode III tie ins.

Things the second game did well: Space fights as an addition was nice for the few of us who like flying. Adding limits to how many folks can be each class. Audio and cutscene quality.

Oh, playing as heroes was a bad idea. They didnt fit the rest of the game and weren't balanced well. Some controlled bad. Most looked off model. They just gave some folks power trips I guess. You dont need to be a Jedi in every game.

Halo

Online killed the measured pace of og multiplayer, along with destructible vehicles, one-hit kill weapons, and dual-wielding (all garbage)

Brave to say it, but you're right on all of that. Dual wielding ruined the balance just to have something cool to show off at E3 and put on the back of the box
and on the cover

Apr 2, 2021
Gothic.

Gothic 1 is fantastic because it literally takes place in a bubble. Yes, a bubble. A magical bubble made by wizards to keep criminals inside a penal colony after they overthrow the guards.

This is a fun concept for a RPG game to begin with, but where it really excels is using the small, limited area and making it behave in a realistic, very detailed matter.

Every village, and every villager has deep connections to one another and the world is small enough to be able to see how this works within minutes. Every quest ties directly to life within the bubble and you quickly begin to build friendships and enemyships with the different people in the bubble who have different goals relating to the bubble.

Then Gothic 2 comes out, the bubble has been destroyed and it takes place in a entire country. The game was spread too thin, and while there were still great quests in there you would just as likely be doing some unrelated, unrelated busy work to get EXP.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
before WoW Classic, I would've said you were just too nostalgic for vanilla but after experiencing it, even just the Classic version, You're 100% right. All you guys were right the whole time.

Complete opposite experience here. I started with BC so never experienced Vanilla back in the day, and Classic just made me appreciate all the modern conveniences the game has. I didn't find Classic to be fun to play at all.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite about 3D Zelda titles is how they traditionally felt pretty open and expansive without actually being that, mixed with the closed off adventuring that goes on in dungeons, and so far the past decade of Zelda has not delivered that. Skyward Sword didn't feel expansive at all, Breath of the Wild was too expansive (and lacked themed dungeons), and for that reason I found both to be pretty middle of the road experiences.

Obviously I'm in the minority because Breath of the Wild was a massive success, but man does it suck since there isn't really an alternative to jump series to jump to.

Supreme Bean

Banned
May 28, 2022
Specifically I mean like a style or made you love them in the first place, it's a sad reality that when something becomes popular it tends to lose its unique charm for that of a more broader appeal, also as development evolves and creative teams change its not always realistic to expect a sequel to be going for the same feel, even so i think it's an interesting discussion to have.

For me the one that's coming to mind is dragon age, despite some of its flaws, a troubled development cycle and bugs and glitches that to this day haven't been officially patched, nothing has come close to this game for me in terms of what it delivers.

Between the story which really makes you feel like your having an impact, and just the setting in general the sequels haven't lived up to it in my eyes, with 2 being a perfect example of what I was saying at the start, and inquisition feeling weak in other ways, mostly though strange as it sounds I can encapsulate this best with the music, dragon age origins music bursts with emotion, it's bitter sweet and epic, like a lord of the rings movie, you could listen to some of the tracks and straight away know what origins is like tonally, yet the sequels completely went in a different direction, it's a small thing perhaps but is the best metaphor for what I'm talking about I can think of.
Dragon age is a great example.

DA1 feels like it was made by a studio that could make a game like baldurs gate. By DG 2/3 it doesn't feel like the talent was there any more.

Fire Emblem

Feb 13, 2022
It's has to be Mass Effect for me. Mass Effect 1 was this great space-opera and you could truly feel this since of exploration and wonder. Then ME2 comes along and gets rid of all that to be knock off Michael bay movie. The only good thing in ME2 is the suicide mission everything else is lackluster. The missions drag on and on. Almost non of choices from me1 carry over. Crucial decisions like save or let the council die have no meaning in the sequel. God I really hate ME2.

Oct 29, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn and Forbidden West.

Zero Dawn is one of the most perfectly crafted universe and a ridiculously accurate outlook where discovering the layers to its world and how it came to be was an absolutely incredible experience only rivaled by Mass Effect 1.

It just cannot be repeated. Forbidden West is a great game but you just can't do the same thing twice.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
every dead rising after the first has been far more fun to play for me. shrug?
I would agree with the first three main games in that assessment - DR2 and D2: Off the Record feel much better to play, especially with the enhanced survivor AI.

I just don't enjoy how DR3 and D4 fundamentally reworked the time mechanic and survivors - I think the games lost some identity in the process, and eventually just became pure zombie crowd killing simulators.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Galaxies - Not a sequel, but every update they did beginning with the Jedi revamp took the game further away from what made it interesting in the first place. You were part of the world and you had to carve your own path into it. Every update from that point forward moved more towards progressing your characters down a funnel, which in turn narrow down what others did in the world as well. I was a world class hunter, but a terrible armorsmith. I had the best of nearly everything on the server, yet my own created armor sucked. Once the Jedi revamp came out, the economy crashed in favor of Jedi specific items and the majority of the players begun to funnel down becoming a Jedi. 99% of the players prior found out what it took and decided to ignore it. This made the world interesting.

Battlefield after 1942 - This doesn't mean bad, but they haven't been able to replicate the insane goofiness of the first. Modern times mean modern weapons means it becomes far more of a spam fest. Jets and helicopters have always been imbalanced in the game.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with the first three main games in that assessment - DR2 and D2: Off the Record feel much better to play, especially with the enhanced survivor AI.

I just don't enjoy how DR3 and D4 fundamentally reworked the time mechanic and survivors - I think the games lost some identity in the process, and eventually just became pure zombie crowd killing simulators.
I'll admit I am one of the people they were trying to attract with those games. I found them far more fun.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Lost Planet. I loved the first game. It wasn't perfect but it was really close to the sort of action adventure game I craved with high mobility, robots, shooting, tight stages, and giant bosses. Then they made sequels focused on MP instead
Sigh.

Monprr

Nov 28, 2017
Would it count to say WWF/WWE games after No Mercy? At least the Def Jam games gave us a glimpse of what could have been in the PS2 era. Hell, even Smackdown games got worse after Here Comes the Pain. These days, the games just aren't fun to me.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Batman: Arkham City and Knight.

First game was a great progression based brawler. City jumped on board the open world bandwagon at the time and the game was worse for it. Then Knight doubled down and added a goddamn tank then designed entirely too much of the game around using the fucking thing.

Oct 31, 2017
GTA IV -> GTA V: I FAR preferred how the driving physics model felt in GTA IV but then they sanded off all of its interesting edges for all the bellyachers for V and it still bums me out to this day. Really, I prefer the chunkier, more weighty feeling of IV in general and was glad when Rockstar re-embraced this kind of direction in RDRII.

EDIT: Some others choices are Jak II and Killzone 3.

Jak II was just embarrassing to me as someone who loved the original Jak and Daxter AND Grand Theft Auto III in those days. Jak II just came across as pathetic/shameless honestly rather than something truly compelling/inspired.

Killzone 3 mostly jettisoned the oppressive atmosphere and controversial controls from KZ2 and I happened to really fucking love both of those things about Killzone 2. Another instance of creators listening to vocal consumers when they shouldn't have IMO.

Last edited:

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 and Ni No Kuni 2 both lost that magic that made the prequels special games.

Horizon Forbidden West is a great game but playing Zero Dawn for the first time is like catching lightning in a bottle. An experience basically impossible to replicate.

Shadow of War. All the micro transactions seemed to affect the game design, making it a much less enjoyable experience.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a popular opinion but Sly Cooper 1>2. The first game was a cool platformer with light stealth elements and a lot of potential for expanding on the mechanics in a sequel, but then when they actually made a sequel it went for a completely different game style. The sequels are also cool conceptually but execution wise I find them pretty lacking and would have preferred if they just improved on what they already had going in 1.

pastry knife

Mar 10, 2020
I'm still fond of the newer games, and they have improved a lot in other ways, but Animal Crossing did lose something from its original GameCube version.

The animals had more personality (especially the mean ones)

The music and art felt weirder and more off-beat.

You had the cool NES games to find and play.

Just in general it feels like a lot of the unique funky edges have all been softened and sanded out, especially in New Horizons. Still a very charming game though!!

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Saints Row 3 and 4. 1 and 2 were silly but the story was grounded. 3 just went to "pee pee poo poo lol so randum!!!" which was very sad AND they killed off the best character in the first 10 mins (You don't even see it happen)

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

The story fundamentally missed the mark on what makes SMT special. Interesting philosophy based choices are replaced with the most cookie cutter "do you want to be nice or mean to your childhood friend" trash, while big complex plots about humanity, gods, and demons gets simplified into a Power of Friendship plot so trite that even Persona would roll it's eyes. It's an especially bad sequel to SMT IV as it actively makes that story much worse if we consider this canon to it.

The gameplay fairs a BIT better. The combat is better balanced than IV and they bring back larger dungeons. But it undermines itself by having literally zero penalty for death. You just revive right at the spot you died with zero consequences. SMT IV already let you save everywhere and pay money to revive if you died but this going the extra mile to remove even that small limitation is so frustrating for a series that's supposed to be challenging and is known for having battles full of tension. This should have been a feature of Easy Mode, or hell even Normal Mode, and it'd be fine but it's forced in on all difficulties. It's hard for me to enjoy the more balanced combat when I know it doesn't really matter.