Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
The most extreme case was Final Fantasy Type 0 HD, which explicitly shows a teaser for Type Next at the end, and I doubt we will ever see it.

Also the force unleashed 2, but in this case I'm thankful. What a nonsense of plot.

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
Dante's Inferno is the most recent example I could think of. The game works fine on its own as a story from where I see it, but the last minutes of the ending clearly were a sign that Visceral wanted to follow with the rest of the Divine Comedy, probably with a sequel called "Dantes Purgatory" or something like that.

EA gonna EA I guess , and look what happened to Visceral Games over the years.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dante's Inferno is the most recent example I could think of. The game works fine on its own as a story from where I see it, but the last minutes of the ending clearly were a sign that Visceral wanted to follow with the rest of the Divine Comedy, probably with a sequel called "Dantes Purgatory" or something like that.

EA gonna EA I guess , and look what happened to Visceral Games over the years.

Was Dante's Inferno actually a good game?

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone

I actually liked Days Gone and was looking forward for a sequel with crazy improvements and bigger hordes. Shame.

That end was also a very interesting premise

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Dungeon Keeper 2 basically had a trailer for 3 at the end that never was.

Still have a bit of Hope for Xenoblade X

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
Was Dante's Inferno actually a good game?
Its think its a fun God of War style game with some really cool monster designs from the people who brought us Dead Space of all things.

Lokking back however ,it hasnt aged very well graphically and it really likes to go very edgy and mindless sometimes.The Cleopatra boss fight and the final boss hanging horse dong as you fight with him are some of the first times a game has made me uncomfortable.Otherwise , would recommend.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
There's also the sequel hooks from Batman: Arkham Origins, which are going nowhere.

View: https://youtu.be/gCH6X354zEs

View: https://youtu.be/VdzTsIeXH_M

View: https://youtu.be/4gA8cE-hAis

View: https://youtu.be/Qn6_w5PbNfQ

The Suicide Squad teases are somewhat followed up on in Assault on Arkham, Arkham Underworld, and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (albeit years later with completely different rosters than what was set up). Two of those aren't even canon, though.

The Court of Owls is also getting payed off in Gotham Knights, even though it was reworked into a separate continuity.

I doubt that Cyrus Pinkney mystery is ever getting solved, though. Unless they integrate a version of it into Gotham Knights somehow, it's lost for eternity.

Last edited:

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
DmC Devil May Cry for me, especially after Vergil's Downfall DLC. It would have been a better sequel than the mainline Devil May Cry 2. Vergil would have been the villain of the next game as Dante deals with the aftermath of Mundus' defeat and possibly Mundus coming back to corrupt Vergil. Maybe even introduce their version of Trish or Lucia or have Kat have combat sequences.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
It might still get a sequel. I think with the mainstream FFX is up there with the most popular single player FFs.

16-eupart2-16.gif

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Does it count when the tease is for a sequel but the next game doesn't follow the story itself?

Mother 1 ends with this teaser that never goes anywhere, since the characters from the first game don't come back for the sequel:
37-4.png

And the way Xenoblade X ends
leaves the story VERY open for a continuation in that exact planet right from where it's left, but mechanically-wise it'd make more sense to do a new world if they go back to X someday. That planet has already been explored.

Tampler

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Sin Episodes. Only episode 1 got released before Ritual got purchased and all future episodes got cancelled. Even had a preview of episode 2 at the end of episode 1.

Its a pity, because I got into the original sin because it was included with Episode 1, and was looking forward to seeing how Ritual (And Valve) handled episodic content.

Supaidaman

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
The Mega Man "teaser that will never be solved" trilogy:
Legends 2
ZX Advent
X8

To a lesser degree, Star Force had a fourth game planned, but 3 doesn't end in a cliffhanger at least.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Kya Dark Lineage on PS2

Was rather fun and did a lot of interesting things with the wind physics. It ends on a silly sequel tease that never happened because it didn't sell terribly well. There was also a bug in some copies where the normal ending and the 100% collection ending were actually swapped. My (now) wife and I bought it at the same time we each one a copy with them flipped, so we actually kept both copies.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the thread.

You could say it doesn't end up with a much of a cliffhanger as it is a small part of a very obvious bigger and longer story, but I still think the ending itself does end in a cliffhanger because you haven't actually learnt what, imo, you were expecting to learn at the beginning of the game.

I definitely wanna see the conclusion to Jensen's story.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So RE4 is canonically bullshit? Is it Christmas?
No, Chris and Jill attack one of the last remaining Umbrella facilities, whilst at the same time Wesker infiltrates it to steal Umbrella's files.
Between the two attacks on the Russia Umbrella facility they provide the information used by the US to shut down the company and stop Umbrella using legal tricks to stay afloat (I believe Wesker made a deal to provide Intel in exchange for immunity to prosecution).

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Resident Evil Revelations 2 ends with with the implication that Alex Wesker successfully took over Natalia's body. It hasn't been followed up on since.

So RE4 is canonically bullshit? Is it Christmas?
It's still in line with RE4. IIRC, Umbrella Chronicles also has some Wesker stuff that details what led up to him delivering the testimony that ended up shutting down Umbrella.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the thread.

You could say it doesn't end up with a much of a cliffhanger as it is a small part of a very obvious bigger and longer story, but I still think the ending itself does end in a cliffhanger because you haven't actually learnt what, imo, you were expecting to learn at the beginning of the game.
Yup, if they had ended with the train station bombing stuff, instead of the global conspiracy stuff, that ending would have hit a lot better.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Shenmue 3, even though I'm in the minority here who would like a 4th game. I think if it was in development, it would have been made in 3's established engine, and confirmed by now to reassure the fans, announced at the end of the anime or whatever.
We need a fourth game. I believe Yu Suzuki will deliver, someday, somehow.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
How has no one said Mega Man Legends 2? After 3 was cancelled, I don't see the cliffhanger ever being resolved.
I will always remember that the original communication for why Legends 3 was cancelled was basically that we got to the part of a kid's movie where the audience needs to clap to bring the hero back to life and Capcom was like, "You didn't clap hard enough so he stays dead."

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Psi-ops!!!

And yes I'm still bitter about it!

200w.webp

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Now... How much does that make? 12 years? So, 12 years later, I'm still waiting for the true sequel.

To be fair, if not for the THQ closing, you would probably already have had a Darksiders 5 about 2 years ago tops. The time between DS1 and DS2 was relatively short, and DS3 came around so late only because the development studio ceased to exist alongside the publisher.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Xenosaga. We're never going to find out what's on Lost Jerusalem that will save the universe.

Birds of Paradise

Enlightened Shinra Employee
Sep 20, 2021
The true ending of Sekiro had the protagonist travel to China to learn more about the Divine Dragons.
FromSoft kind of suffers from having too many good games, they all need sequels!

TLH

Oct 29, 2017
Sin and Punishment 2. The very last cutscene shows that your partner who has been with you all the time is actually the antagonist of Sin and Punishment 1 who wanted to start a huge space war. Then the game throws you back to the menu.