misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
The Witcher 3.. after that, I have a big problem with other games... even ACOdyssey feels a like in general a ok game, but shallow TW3 clone.. pretty much only game in those 3 years that was engaging and immersive atleast somewhat close to TW3, was Prey

TW3 isn't perfect game (some aspect were worse than in previous Witcher games), not game is in my view, but it was the closest to a perfect dark fantasy RPG with great humor and with dozens and dozens of interesting, great written characters that I cared about.. after finishing it and its expansion packs, I felt something that I haven't felt in any other game before or after it

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I used to really like the pokemon games as a kid, but when i played chrono trigger for the first time is when i realized that RPGs could actually be fun and not just a chore you sit through to watch a level up bar go up

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
-Planetside 2 pretty much ruined Battlefield games for me.
-Witcher 3 made me realise just how much time I wasted doing shitty quests and objectives in Ubisoft, Bethesda and Bioware games. I'm never going back to those bland and uninvolving worlds and stories again.

Those are my contemporary examples, damn they are fine games.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
SFIII 3rd Strike. The game was so good it made any other fighting game coming out during that time obsolete.

Also World of Warcraft. It set the high bar for MMORPG which very few other games could ever reach. It has had basically no competition for more than a decade.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
HZD is still a phenomenal game. The world and atmosphere they create is incredible and the combat is still some of, if not my favorite in an open world game. The robot AI is great and every one of the robots feels completely unique in how the AI behaves, each robot has specific weak points and there is still no game out today with NPC's that look as good as the ones in HZD. Nearly every NPC in the game is different. I only found 2 repeated faces in the game and about half way through, it became one of my personal missions to try and find duplicate NPC's and there really just aren't any but more importantly, they don't really come across as generic models that an algorithm spit out.

In all fairness though, the same can be said about the majority of BOTW NPC's but the level of detail in the HZD NPC's really wow'd me.

The story in HZD is more compelling and better written as well (IMO). I actively pursued all the side quests with collectible journals and voice recordings that told other stories about what some of the people in the story went through during the major plot points of HZD that led to the world being destroyed.

Yeah. Im sure im missing a great game at the moment, but its a game i will give a try in a near future. Its pretty inexpensive atm, once i can, ill grab it.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 straight up broke open-world adventure games for me. Not a single one since has come close to dethroning it, it's not funny at this point. Not a single one. They've tried, and not even come close. The only thing that did beat The Witcher 3 was Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, and that was just more Witcher 3. And Breath of the Wild was great and is a masterpiece in its own right but doesn't scratch nearly the same itch. Horizon: Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed: Origins/Odyssey, God of War, Fallout 4, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided...all of these good to great games just pale next to The Witcher 3 for me. It's maddening.

No story driven game has come close to achieving the sheer memorableness of The Witcher 3. I've yet to see a game with the number of fleshed out, fantastic and memorable characters that The Witcher 3 has (let's disregard CRPGs for a minute though, only stuff that comes close) and combined that with some of the most memorable quests in video games ever. It's a groundbreaking achievement, in terms of the amount of quality and the amount of content. Other games do one or the other, but not both. For example: God of War is quality over content, and lack of enemy variety really kills the game at times. Horizon: Zero Dawn tries to do both and ends up being mediocre in both, with a serious lack of memorable side characters as well side quests, and cripples you with a complete lack of choice. Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey go for content over quality, and there's a lot of unmemorable things to do in the world. Odyssey fixes a lot on the quality front, but it's still nowhere near the same. Fallout 4/Shadow of Mordor were the same. Dragon Age Inquisition/Mass Effect Andromeda both failed. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had the quality but nowhere near the content required to pull it off.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
YAS OP @ bayonetta mention. the combat in bayonetta 2 is so fluid and satisfying that i don't think i'll have as much fun with any other character action game ever again

metal gear solid v's stealth mechanics make stealth in every other game feel shallow and pointless.

Rotimi

Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
honestly I don't have that issue except in combat. I played bloodbourne and was confused at why the combat received so much praise. Started monster hunter world recently and the combat feels great but dont think I will affect another game. they are different games.

same way playing Witcher 3 complete edition didnt stop me from loving the hell of Horizon.

I always go into games expecting different experiences and that helps. don't compare till you are done

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you intended it as a personal reference, but there are game in genres that i'd argue were so good that they killed the genre for an extended period of time. Starcraft 2 basically ruined the RTS genre for years because people would just play starcraft

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
RE4 made it awfully hard to go back to previous entries. At the time I was completely blown away by the level of control the game afforded me compared to the other games in the series.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Nioh was great but I dropped it about 3/4's of the way through due to how repetitive it felt.

But to answer the topic, I didn't play anything after The Last of Us for a few months as I felt like nothing would come close to how good it was. It was a tough act to follow for other games.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Platformers with tight, responsive controls like Super Meat Boy have made it harder to appreciate weightier games like Mario and DK

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
RE6... most TPS feel like walking on sand compared to it. The last of us is also far ahead of most TPS games I think

Affrogamer

Sep 7, 2018
Bronx, NY
trying to play Horizon Zero Dawn immediately after finishing Breath of the Wild was hard

I wouldn't say it ruined it, I appreciated a lot of the craft, but having such limited movement in a similarly structured open world felt so... Stifling. I need to get back to it one day, but the fact AC Origins and other recent open world games have been similarly flexible to BotW in terms of getting around, it'll be hard.
This was actually the complete opposite for me LOL

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing. I'm capable of liking other games even when a new favorite comes out.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Witcher 3 exposed Bethesda pretty bad. They showed it could be done better.

Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 have gotten criticized fairly for a change. Enough is enough of "well it's Bethesda, there games are buggy" bullshit.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I can't help but compare any open world FPS to STALKER. I play them, then after a while I just conclude that I'd rather be playing STALKER. It's all about the unpredictability and AI for me, which is where most games fall short.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I took the title a bit differently; so my first thought was Resident Evil 4. Was so astoundingly good; that it literally killed off any chance of Capcom producing a new game in the original mold.
In a similar style of thinking, New Vegas killed off much of my desire to revisit Fallout 3. Or really even revisit Fallout 4...

Can't really think of a game that has ruined an entire genre for me; as much as I love love love Red Dead 2, it's not like I can't enjoy other Open World games doing different things. Recently got Sunset Overdrive on PC and loving it.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The Witcher 3 ruined basically every game that has side-quests or supporting characters in number smaller than 5. That game proved that you can build an open world game with interesting narrative, well written side-quests and a lot of supporting characters that just ooze charm and are unique.

And Nioh ruined basically every game that has a combat system haha, maybe except for faster paced games like DMC/Bayo.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and DMC 3/4. Ruined most games for me with all those "easy modes" where they hold your hand from start to finish.

Dragon's Dogma DA for semi open world RPG. The combat still remains superior to any other game out there. The story is lacking, but the gameplay more than makes up for it. If there's going to be any replayability or simply long game then it has to focus on gameplay rather than story imo.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Elite Beat Agents literally ruined every single rhythm game for me. I can't play another one without thinking "this is good, but it's not EBA". Touch mechanics of the game really carried the genre to another level.

OP
OP
Cryptosporidium
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Oh a surprising counterpoint

MGSV did not ruin Hitman for me

In fact, Hitman to me is everything MGSV set out to do perfected albeit with less tight controls but infinitely better level design

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Silent Hill 2 ruined horror games for me.

Nothing will ever surpass that absolute masterpiece

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Nioh. Loved the deep, layered combat, the speed of gameplay and smooth framerate. I still don't think it holds a candle to Bloodborne though. The world design, characters, story/lore, bosses and just general atmosphere are all so much better in BB. I admit the technical side of BB could be better. I'm hoping they release a 4K/60 fps remaster because the game is masterpiece of artistic direction.

I don't necessarily think the speed of Nioh's combat would suit a Soulsborne game as they tend to rely heavily on the weighty feel of their animations. I think Sekiro will ratchet up the speed a little bit from BB but it's not going to play like Nioh and I'm just fine with that.

Witcher 3 exposed Bethesda pretty bad. They showed it could be done better.

Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 have gotten criticized fairly for a change. Enough is enough of "well it's Bethesda, there games are buggy" bullshit.
I came late to the party with Witcher 3, playing it after Fallout 4 and it basically destroyed any interest I had in Bethesda's games. Even my beloved Elder Scrolls is basically dead to me now.

Last edited:

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
I've never encountered such a phenomenon before.
Same here. For me, different games aim to do different things, and I value them in terms of how were they able to successfully accomplish their respective thing. I don't recall such a phenomenon in which a game I've played in the past is "ruined" by a game I played more recently. Maybe the game just wasn't very good to begin with.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Flip Bloodborne and Nioh for me.

This. I think Nioh is a pretty terrible video game. Any second I'm playing it I'm just wondering why I'm not playing a Souls game or Bloodborne instead. Combat feels so stiff and janky even in comparison to Demon's Souls. Then there's the absolutely terrible level design, boss design, enemy variety, story, and voice acting. I'm also not a fan of the Diablo-style loot system in this style of game.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
This. I think Nioh is a pretty terrible video game. Any second I'm playing it I'm just wondering why I'm not playing a Souls game or Bloodborne instead. Combat feels so stiff and janky even in comparison to Demon's Souls. Then there's the absolutely terrible level design, boss design, enemy variety, story, and voice acting. I'm also not a fan of the Diablo-style loot system in this style of game.
I agree with nearly everything you posted but I don't understand how you could say Nioh's combat is stiff and janky. I would say it's the exact opposite. Maybe you just didn't like the style of the combat?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This hasn't happened often for me, and not in recent times.

I had a bunch of text adventure games by Aardvark Software. Once I played Infocom's games, it was hard to go back to them. And Phantasy Star 1 lowered how much I liked Dragon Warrior 1 and Final Fantasy 1 since it came out first in English and was so much more advanced.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I agree with nearly everything you posted but I don't understand how you could say Nioh's combat is stiff and janky.

I should have specified that I was referring to the animations. I tried 4 different weapon types throughout my playthrough and none of them were fun to use. Ki pulse, stance switching for combos, etc is cool on paper but in reality they did nothing for me. There's no doubt that Nioh's combat system is deeper and I'm sure has a higher skill ceiling, but I don't find it fun or engaging in the slightest.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely loved rolling stances. But IMO nothing was done above average other than combat.

I hope they make another nioh game I really liked it.

but come on.....it really ruined souls for you? Bloodborne is oozing with quality.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Dark Souls and Bloodborne have ruined pretty much all AAA games for me. I have no patience for them anymore; they feel like a tedious slog of waypoints and busywork.

I must also say that, having put over 120 hours into Nioh in the past two months, I can definitely sympathize with OP. Not to the point that I think that I couldn't play Souls games anymore, but Nioh's combat is just on another level. It almost feels like a fighting game in terms of depth. Each weapon is completely unique and learning how to use them is like playing a new game. I haven't played Souls since I started Nioh, but I'm sure that when I do, I'll definitely miss not being able to Ki Pulse and Ki Flux my way into awesomeness.

They definitely scratch different itches for me; Nioh is almost a pure gameplay experience, with arguably the best combat in video games, ever. Souls is more of an intersection of Aesthetics and Mechanics.

This. I think Nioh is a pretty terrible video game. Any second I'm playing it I'm just wondering why I'm not playing a Souls game or Bloodborne instead. Combat feels so stiff and janky even in comparison to Demon's Souls.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I should have specified that I was referring to the animations. I tried 4 different weapon types throughout my playthrough and none of them were fun to use. Ki pulse, stance switching for combos, etc is cool on paper but in reality they did nothing for me. There's no doubt that Nioh's combat system is deeper and I'm sure has a higher skill ceiling, but I don't find it fun or engaging in the slightest.
You not liking the weapons, ki-pulse and stances etc. is a perfectly reasonable position to take (I didn't enjoy the ki-pulse mechanic either). These points are mostly subjective though. You have an issue with the style of the combat in Nioh but you can't say the game is stiff or janky when it's objectively very responsive and the animation is precise.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Last Guardian(and all of Team Ico's/Ueda's games) is so masterclass that I just laugh at all the walking simulators of this decade that people try to prop up as having elevated video game storytelling.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
games dont ruin other games, this isnt Highlander where there can be only one, as much as the internet wants it to be.