• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Don't think I'd call it majorly succesful, but I remember the first Ace Attorney game getting a bunch of positive word of mouth around its release that ended up selling people on the game.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Simple : Demom Souls. I remember showing the game to my best friend and he thought it was too difficult. I liked it at the start because I love niche game but when Dark Souls got popular, he jump on the bangwaggon (and strangely it took me a few years to start the serie) now my friend have tattoos of Dark Souls on his arm

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
This is a hard one for me because almost every game I buy is because of word of mouth. So the big ones that come to mind, Hollow Knight and Stardew Valley, I bought because of recommendations from the old place. I actually loved Stardew Valley so much I bought 4 or 5 copies for my steam friends.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Goldeneye 007. No one expected it to be anywhere near as successful as was. Word of mouth was so strong it eventually went on sale around 9 million units in its lifetime.
This was the first game that came to mind for me. No one cared about James bond or Goldeneye back then and it was just a weird ip for Nintendo to work on. But then it was actually a damn good game and succeeded solely on wom

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
In Australia, Halo CE

Microsoft didn't really market Xbox or Halo down here. At all. It grew with word of mouth from people playing this game and realising how incredible it was. It then grew further with LAN parties.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
LISA had little if any marketing and it became popular through word of mouth to the point it spawned three fan games.

I'm honestly surprised at some of the answers here, though. Like so many listed games that had a lot of marketing

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say word of mouth did it alone, but Pokemon Red & Green in Japan. Iwata credited word of mouth and Mew as being critical to it becoming the behemoth it is.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Katamari is absolutely one of the earliest, best examples in the Internet era. Well, tipping point of the internet

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I would say Batman Arkham Asylum. Nobody expecting anything from it. I remember some magazines even giving it 5s and 6s. Ended up being a extremely good game once some magazines actually realised it was actually a good super heroe game.

After that the consumers follow. Ended up being so big from mouth to mouth (and from critical media, sometimes), that the sequel became one of the most anticipated games from that year

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Nier. Yes there's way more methods of communication today (social media, forums, texting etc.) but this game got huge enough for a sequel and eventually a reprint! Crazy.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the first game that came to mind for me. No one cared about James bond or Goldeneye back then and it was just a weird ip for Nintendo to work on. But then it was actually a damn good game and succeeded solely on wom

2000px-Citation-needed-vertical.svg.png

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would say Batman Arkham Asylum. Nobody expecting anything from it. I remember some magazines even giving it 5s and 6s. Ended up being a extremely good game once some magazines actually realised it was actually a good super heroe game.

After that the consumers follow. Ended up being so big from mouth to mouth (and from critical media, sometimes), that the sequel became one of the most anticipated games from that year
Who knew Batman was this such obscure IP even after The Dark Knight.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Metal Gear Solid
Halo CE
Devil May Cry
Half-Life
This is a really good pick. I remember the incessant negativity surrounding this game before the release.

MGS already had a ton of hype following that year's E3. I remember the official PS mag having a big feature on it where they were already proclaiming it to be one of the best games ever made.

As for FF7 I can vividly remember the first time I ever saw it in a copy of Computer & Video Games just after the Japanese release, tons of coverage. The lead in was "the game that will do for RPGS what Star Wars did for Sci-Fi".

I followed it for the next year and devoured as much info as I could... people definitely knew what was coming.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Ys games. I remember absolutely nobody knew what Ys was when Ark of Napishtim was announced. It was super weird that Konami of all companies brought it over. Since then every new release has gotten more and more word of mouth, to where the series is legitimately are successes here in the west now.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I dont even remember how I first heard of Minecraft. It wasnt a trailer though.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the scenario in the OP is a little naive. For one Golf Stories name isn't generic and boring as suggested, and it's success can largely be attributed to two simple factors a) it's a good game b) the early thirst for new switch content.

Oct 25, 2017
Dwarf Fortress. That has to be it.
A game so weird and complex and indecipherable that the only reason it got as "big" as it did was through word of mouth

I think the scenario in the OP is a little naive. For one Golf Stories name isn't generic and boring as suggested, and it's success can largely be attributed to two simple factors a) it's a good game b) the early thirst for new switch content.

Also people have been asking for a new Mario Golf since....the GBA days?

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Who knew Batman was this such obscure IP even after The Dark Knight.

You are missing the point here. The thread is about games that became popular due to his quality. At that's the point with Arkham Asylum. It became popular because of that. The fact that it was a Batman game with such a weird cover art and published by Eidos definitely didn't help. Hell I didn't even knew it was a good game after a friend actually told me it was a good. Bought it on steam on a discount and the impact was so big for me that I pre order Arkham city as soon as it became available.

I'm not saying Batman it's a obscure ip. I'm saying I didn't expect a Batman game to be this good after a friend told me. And that's the point of this thread. Try to follow the idea

OP
OP
Revolsin

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Can't believe is still selling, especially compared to how its predecessors did.

I'd actually consider this the antithesis example.

Comparatively to other games with a similarly huge level of marketing(being featured in every direct, big push as a holiday game, getting prominently featured at E3), it sold just okay, mostly because of its genre but yeah.

XC1 fits this well though.

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Brothers which by word of mouth help sell the NES platform. Call it what you want today, but that game was the system seller and it was all done by one friend showing another friend and so forth. It helped reboot the industry 35 years ago to get us where we are today.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I came here to say Demon's Souls. It was Gamespot awarding it game of the year and the way they described the game there and in the review that made me think hey this is something that I could really get on board with if it clicks.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The entire shareware distribution model explicitly hinged on this concept. id, Epic, and 3D Realms all owe their existence to early hits propagating organically with zero formal retail presence.

Last edited:

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale, Hollow Knight and Stardew Valley are the best exemples, they released with very little hype but got bigger and bigger as gamers realised how good they are.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was Hollow Knight and Soma.
Some in particular was one of the most memorable gaming experiences in recent time. If I'd listened to the couple review outlets I follow, I'd probably skipped it.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's been said, but Persona 3/Persona 4 kinda of fit.

3 came out completely under the radar and only started to gain steam around when FES came out. 4 came out way late into the PS2 lifespan and built on the buzz of 3, while gaining more of an audience as it went on.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Mine craft and dota. They basically went on to be close to the biggest games of all time based on nothing but WoM. Not sure anything else can compare.