Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really love this concept, of any piece of media just coming out of absolutely nowhere with no big marketing or prior IP/dev association just blowing the fuck up with its sheer quality alone.

I feel like that's the kind of stuff that a lot of the time is genuinely incredible. It comes with no biases, no money pushing it up, just pure quality alone.

A big example is Golf Story. The trailer was on a no-name channel and company, but amassed over a 100k views just because it looked amazing and people spread the word. It actually became successful despite fighting against the fact that its name was super generic and seemingly unappealing.

It's now one of the highest selling games on Switch and widely adored by possibly close to a million people. Crazy how far it's come.

Another big example is Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon from Inti. While associated with an IP, it was on basically no one's radar as everyone assumed it'd be some minor mediocre little pop off from the 'actual' BS. But, the initial trailer was so goddamn hype with a crazy great artstyle, sick music, and gameplay reminiscent of Castlevania that it immediately started garnering support, and starting selling higher and higher as it came out and word spread that it was fuckin amazing.

Now, a lot of people are actually saying the 'real' game might not live up to the sheer quality of CotM. To think it was outright forgotten by even the backers at some point, such a wild rise to acclaim.

Last edited:

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
Nier, Who would think that this game will get a sequel? I played it back then when it got a price drop so fast when it got released. I really enjoyed the game + I played it without knowing anything about this game back then.
61jut9gKTaL._SX342_.jpg

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I could be wrong because I'm not always tuned into upcoming releases, especially smaller scale games, but I feel like Stardew Valley, Undertale and Papers, Please all fit this description. Maybe PUBG too?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight. Word of mouth carried that to 1 million sales before most gaming media even acknowledged its existence.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Hollow Knight for sure. The game had $0 for marketing, it was all word of mouth. The month or so after the HK launch was a crazy place back in the old GAF Steam thread. I bet 100+ copies of that game were given away purely because it was so good, so cheap and so overlooked. I think I gave away 7.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the immediate games came to mind are mentioned here. NieR, Undertale, Stardew Valley, Rocket League, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, etc. Given there's also a lot of amazing games that go under the radar, something almost all of these examples had on-top of being very good games was an ecstatic core playerbase even before release which were able to "spread the gospel" on the game.

In fact, that ecstatic playerbase is arguably more important than even the game's quality. Being big into the horror game scene, there's some middling horror games that aren't bad but I wouldn't call amazing that spread due to ecstatic discovery and spread through enthusiasts, such as Bendy and the Ink Machine of Five Nights at Freddy's (neither of which are bad and I actually like their personal indie-ness, but also are games I don't think blew up specifically since they're universally appealing but aspects of them really appealed to the tween horror crowd).

OP
OP
Revolsin

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona series (at least in the west)

Oh I forgot this one actually. I remember being astounded just how much attention P4G was getting despite the SMT franchise as a whole being fairly niche. And then came Persona 5 which just pushed it into the stratosphere from where it was.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't played it myself, but from what I've heard, Stardew Valley fits this description pretty damned well.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Golf Story is certainly a good example. Look at its inclusion in the Nindie Directs it was a part of, and you'd think it was a fine/alright golf simulator with a charming-enough art-style...but nothing more. Fast-forward a few weeks - and even to the inevitable "recommended games to get for Switch" in 2017 - and I lost track of the amount of people saying to get Golf Story alongside the likes of BotW and Odyssey. And the game was certainly one of the best surprises for me that year: nice aesthetic, great gameplay loop, surprisingly witty/comical and clever writing as well. Considering how little the developer/studio behind the game took to social media or even marketed the game, Golf Story certainly owed much of its success to word-of-mouth.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Papers Please came to mind. I think it was breakthrough game for Lucas Pope, so his most recent Return of the Obra Dinn benefitted from it too. Papers Please is an indie game that also got a short film made out of it, that's definitely success.

Dec 18, 2017
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I distinctly remember a metric fuck-ton of advertising for PUBG, both in my YouTube feed and across a lot of popular streamers. Undertale was a lot more organic, but Toby Fox also had a pretty strong following in the Homestuck and Earthbound communities as a base.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of good games mentioned so far. One game I'm very sure noone else will mention in this thread is World of Warcraft.

You guys take it for granted because Blizzard is an established company with a stellar reputation but the way WoW blew up was clearly based on word of mouth considering how hard it is for MMO's to accelerate in growth like that before WoW came along.

Deleted member 45957

Demon's Souls is a good answer. The game still went out while it was suspected to bomb. Yet it created the Souls series.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Cuphead. Rhe first time most people (everyone?) saw it was a very short flip in an indie game montage durring an xbox E3 conference. I remember saying "wait, wtf was that, it looked awesome."

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft is definitely one of the best examples, it had an entirely non-existant marketing budget before it got big.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say majorly successful due to the niche nature of the game but when 999 was localized it spread through word of mouth almost exclusively and went on to do VERY well for a weird DS visual novel and was so popular a third entry in the series was basically greenlight only because of its popularity in the west.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Undertale grabbed a lot of Homestuck and Earthbound fans due to his music work in the former and his community presence and mods in the latter so I wouldn't really count that.

Minecraft is probably the biggest example.

Deleted member 45957

A lot of good games mentioned so far. One game I'm very sure noone else will mention in this thread is World of Warcraft.

You guys take it for granted because Blizzard is an established company with a stellar reputation but the way WoW blew up was clearly based on word of mouth considering how hard it is for MMO's to accelerate in growth like that before WoW came along.

Advertising was massive for Wow, I remember seeing the full lenght first Wow cinematic at the cinema at the time, something I've never encountered again. Big posters everywhere ... The Wow Beta was also heavily pushed toward MMORPG players before that.