• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

The most comprehensive video on "games as a service" and why it's fraud that you're likely to see.
WARNING: This is more boring than my usual videos. This was created as the beginning of an effort to get law authorities to examine this practice. Feel free to contact me about this topic.

Contents below:
2:45 Definition
8:09 Goods and Services
9:52 Legal argument: Games are goods
17:08 Legal argument: Ownership of goods
24:24 Legal argument: Programmed Obsolescence
31:21 Intermission
31:51 Conceptual Argument on games being services
42:23 Preservation Argument on games being services
47:31 Counterarguments & Concerns
1:10:00 Ending + Plan of what to do

It is kinda long but I encourage you to watch it entirely, but if you need a tl;dw: Games are goods, not services. And GaaS are not even services because they don't even fill the criteria for being one (expectation of how much a service lasts, general expectations when a service has been finished, real world resources that are required for a service to continue).

I do agree with him, he has a lot of compelling, valid arguments.

Thanks to lashman for making me aware of this video.

Edit : Thanks to Razorrin for sharing this reddit post from user Roegnvaldr posted on r/pcgaming with a more detailed TL;DW

TL;DW: Under several laws in many countries and continents, a game sold/F2P with MTX of any sort is considered to be selling GOODS, not Services (Subscription models are exempt due to having descriptions of when the service ends). Regardless of what EULAs say, the actual governamental law defines that goods need to be usable at any point after purchase and software, as a good, does belong to the one who purchased the product.

Ross's argument is that the "GaaS" is not a service, but acts as one in order to be able to shut down games after they start being unprofitable. He only requests that companies give players a reasonable way to play games after the servers are shut down.

He has MANY good arguments and spitting out criticisms without taking the whole video in is a great disservice to both the person doing the "criticism" as well as to the work compiled by Ross.

You may not care about games dying. That's fine. Ross's point is that GaaS are being sold as something they are not and thus fraudulent, therefore requiring the intervention of the law. It's not an attack towards you or your attitude towards how companies handle online-only games - it's an attack on said companies mishandling their product after they cease giving support to it.

Main arguments slides in the video:

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I have a stricter definition for game as a service than most, it seems. And I don't understand why so many games are considered Gaas now.

To me, Gaas are games that, due to the way they are designed, can only work as long as a server is running. For example, an MMO, or an exclusively online game that has to constantly communicate with the server to generate missions. It requires people actually manning it to continue running. This is a service.

Games like Horizon, the Witcher 3, etc, that receive continued support through DLCs, are not services. They are goods that you can own forever. Their additional content are additional goods you can purchase. The fact that developpers continue to create more content doesn't suddenly turn a goods into a service.

But what do I know.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Games are goods, not services. And GaaS are not even services because they don't even fill the criteria for being one (expectation of how much a service lasts, general expectations when a service has been finished, real world resources that are required for a service to continue).

As someone who does software things for a living, I don't actually particularly agree with this premise. A lot of the work I'm doing right now is trying to maintain and add functionality to old tools that have existed for many (many) years. The idea that software should just get launched out into the public as a final build and never be updated or receive support doesn't match up well with the way that it is designed, developed, or distributed. Especially for things where the focus is less of a narrative experience and more, for lack of a better term, sandboxy, the service model is actually a better one to describe it than the idea that it's a product.

Heck, it was arguably like this back in the day, just under a different and more cumbersome guise. The reason you wouldn't think about this in the 90s, for example, is that there were like 10 revisions of Street Fighter II that came out rather than a single version of the game that got regularly modified, expanded, and updated on its own.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I have a stricter definition for game as a service than most, it seems. And I don't understand why so many games are considered Gaas now.

To me, Gaas are games that, due to the way they are designed, can only work as long as a server is running. For example, an MMO, or an exclusively online game that has to constantly communicate with the server to generate missions. It requires people actually manning it to continue running. This is a service.

Games like Horizon, the Witcher 3, etc, that receive continued support through DLCs, are not services. They are goods that you can own forever. Their additional content are additional goods you can purchase. The fact that developpers continue to create more content doesn't suddenly turn a goods into a service.

But what do I know.

Seems like a fairly sensible definition compared to the everything is GaaS version at the mo

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Seems like a fairly sensible definition compared to the everything is GaaS version at the mo
It still means Quake, Half Life and Unreal Tournament were Games as a Service as they all used servers as online required a server and someone maintaining it. In fact, it now means any online multiplayer game is one.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I don't think he understands the fact that most devs don't actually want to shut down their games, they do it mostly because they have no other choice. It's really not planned obsolescence. People don't make games and plan to shut them down in five years or so, they shut it down because they don't have the money to run it anymore and sometimes don't see the financial point of doing so.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But what do I know.
Yeah, I do agree with you. We can also throw offline-able games with various online currencies into the mix, like Mordor, Assassin's Creed, and Mortal Kombat. They're also service games.

But games that received support with DLCs are not service games. I have no idea why would people push that notion.

StayHandsome

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
My internal definition for GAAS comes down to game models that are attempting to be addictive, rather than simply satisfying.

Games with addictive progression systems are trying to keep you engaged as long and as steadily as possible. Daily quests, daily loot boxes, whatever are all intentionally addictive functions that want to keep the player coming back regularly.

Not the real definition by any means but that's basically how I see it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
To me, Gaas are games that, due to the way they are designed, can only work as long as a server is running.
That's not what the industry definition of GaaS is. It's a title by title basis when it comes to how devs support the title after the initial launch. Most people try to redefine the term and narrow it down for genuinely no reason. It's not even a remotely confusing concept.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he understands the fact that most devs don't actually want to shut down their games, they do it mostly because they have no other choice. It's really not planned obsolescence. People don't make games and plan to shut them down in five years or so, they shut it down because they don't have the money to run it anymore and sometimes don't see the financial point of doing so.
I'm sure that applies more to publishers than developers, though what you've said is true for indie developers. It's not true for, let's say, Sony, who certainly has money to sustain services for longer than they do but choose not to.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Keep watching the video, he talks about that topic.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me get down to why GAAS is a problem. The thing is, while it may have been birthed by the MMO boom, it was largely honed in the East. Which largely excluding Japan, gaming means dropping a five to sit in a PC cafe with all-you-can-eat service, it was meant to monetize a non-committal audience. Where the issue transpires in the West is that y'all are married to the AAA paradigm, and popping $60 a title. It would be foolish to think that devs would sever this economy. Now you've got an upfront fee, plus lootboxes and funbucks, the same way the road was paved for paid online.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's not what the industry definition of GaaS is. It's a title by title basis when it comes to how devs support the title after the initial launch. Most people try to redefine the term and narrow it down for genuinely no reason. It's not even a remotely confusing concept.
if it's a title-by-title basis that changes, then that seems confusing to me lol

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I'm sure that applies more to publishers than developers, though what you've said is true for indie developers. It's not true for, let's say, Sony, who certainly has money to sustain services for longer than they do but choose not to.

Even for big publishers, it might be just a game that bleeds money to them and that money that they could pour on other more lucrative projects. I highly doubt EA or Sony o whoever invest in a game where they plan to shut it down after 5 years or so, they would do it forever like what Ross said if it was profitable. This is why I don't see the "planned obsolescence" argument.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
if it's a title-by-title basis that changes, then that seems confusing to me lol
Titles like AC:Odyssey, Spiderman, or BOTW inherently need different post launch revenue models than something like Overwatch, Rainbow Six, or Fortnite, technically speaking despite some similarities all six of the titles I just name have different methods of post launch revenue.

But at the end of the day, the underlying point is the idea of post launch support which=post launch revenue.
bruh

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even for big publishers, it might be just a game that bleeds money to them and that money that they could pour in other more lucrative projects. I highly doubt EA or Sony and whatever publishers invest in a game where they plan to shut it down after 5 years or so. This is why I don't see the "planned obsolescence" argument.
Eh, gonna need to see receipts as to how keeping some servers up bleeds money for Sony. Especially considering they've shut down services for games only a year after launch, which is just way too soon.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Why would offering additional content to a game, keeping it interesting for a longer time be considered a fraud? Has anyone here felt that they've been cheated into a game that has additional content delivered after release?

As someone who does software things for a living, I don't actually particularly agree with this premise. A lot of the work I'm doing right now is trying to maintain and add functionality to old tools that have existed for many (many) years. The idea that software should just get launched out into the public as a final build and never be updated or receive support doesn't match up well with the way that it is designed, developed, or distributed. Especially for things where the focus is less of a narrative experience and more, for lack of a better term, sandboxy, the service model is actually a better one to describe it than the idea that it's a product.

Heck, it was arguably like this back in the day, just under a different and more cumbersome guise. The reason you wouldn't think about this in the 90s, for example, is that there were like 10 revisions of Street Fighter II that came out rather than a single version of the game that got regularly modified, expanded, and updated on its own.
I agree. Theres room for more things, and games doesnt have to fit one specific mold.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Titles like AC:Odyssey, Spiderman, or BOTW inherently need different post launch revenue models than something like Overwatch, Rainbow Six, or Fortnite, technically speaking despite some similarities all six of the titles I just name have different methods of post launch revenue.

But at the end of the day, the underlying point is the idea of post launch support which=post launch revenue.
yeah I definitely agree there are different models and different methods

but maybe that's why some posters argue about different definitions haha

I guess your definition at the end is simple enough though, "post-launch revenue"

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
We're spoiled by patches and have forgotten just how dire shit was on consoles before them. Trying your shit out before you bought it was a big thing in the 80s and 90s because half the stuff that came out was a broken piece of shit

Eventually you started seeing patches on cartridges, but that required knowing about it for starters, then finding a copy of it in the stores and purchasing it full price.
Eh, gonna need to see receipts as to how keeping some servers up bleeds money for Sony. Especially considering they've shut down services for games only a year after launch, which is just way too soon.
Resources used on a dead game are resources that would be better put to a newer title.
The preferable course of action would be for all companies to be required to release the source code for their servers when they shut them down.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
people just make the whole thing sound so complicated, like they're constantly being swindled. it's pretty easy to decide what game you want to keep paying for, and it takes about 30 seconds of research to find out if you want it when it comes out. i play a lot of these types of games and i've never had any kind of worries about making bad purchases.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're spoiled by patches and have forgotten just how dire shit was on consoles before them. Trying your shit out before you bought it was a big thing in the 80s and 90s because half the stuff that came out was a broken piece of shit

Eventually you started seeing patches on cartridges, but that required knowing about it for starters, then finding a copy of it in the stores and purchasing it full price.

Resources used on a dead game are resources that would be better put to a newer title.
The preferable course of action would be for all companies to be required to release the source code for their servers when they shut them down.
I get that, but I'd hardly call a game dead when the publisher is still selling it directly to consumers.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Why would offering additional content to a game, keeping it interesting for a longer time be considered a fraud? Has anyone here felt that they've been cheated into a game that has additional content delivered after release?

I agree. Theres room for more things, and games doesnt have to fit one specific mold.
That's not what he's discussing. He is saying is that if the company running the game decides to close shop, you should be able to access it somehow, since you still own a license to the game.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
I get that, but I'd hardly call a game dead when the publisher is still selling it directly to consumers.
Yeah, I'll give you that with Sony. They're really shitty and shut things down too early. I'd still be fine with this if they released the source and patched in a method to play on unofficial servers. I still miss Tomorrow Children and think about it every night :(

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

bruh

I don't think all post launch content is a service though. Software continually getting updates does not make them services. GaaS should in theory line up with SaaS, Iaas, PaaS etc.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I guess its more of a logistic thing. I agree that its not costing them tons of money, but its not like they plan on shutting down services in a set amount of time. Servers that have been shut down are games that have little to none players.

That's not what he's discussing. He is saying is that if the company running the game decides to close shop, you should be able to access it somehow, since you still own a license to the game.
Fair enough, but thats not really limited to games that uses the so called GaaS model though. I'd say that goes for every downloable-only content out there. Some of these games also have physical releases with offline play, like Street Fighter V and Monster Hunter World.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, but thats not really limited to so games that use the so called GaaS model though. I'd say that goes for every downloable-only content out there. Some of these games also have physical releases with offline play, like Street Fighter V and Monster Hunter World.

He argues that the Service part in 'GaaS' is just PR speak perpetuated by game companies to justify their attitudes towards software. SFV and MHW can still be played even without Internet connection (at least SFV, not so sure about MHW). But even then, lets say that MHW sold armor pieces and I decide to buy one. I should be able to access it, forever. Even when all services shut down because I own that instance of the art/game code the company created.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't think all post launch content is a service though. Software continually getting updates does not make them services. GaaS should in theory line up with SaaS, Iaas, PaaS etc.

Then I feel like what we're railing against is more like what economists call "rent-seeking", which is a sort of economic blight, exists well outside the games industry, and has a common cause (and thus likely a common solution). I'll give you a hint on that last part:
You mean capitalism?

Since it's an hour long and I don't have that time right this minute -- for those who have seen it, does the video actually discuss the matter of rent-seeking in any explicit way?

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
The counter argument section is pretty good. I don't personally know much about GaaS except the numerous problems that comes with a game shutting down.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
He argues that the Service part in 'GaaS' is just PR speak perpetuated by game companies to justify their attitudes towards software. SFV and MHW can still be played even without Internet connection (at least SFV, not so sure about MHW). But even then, lets say that MHW sold armor pieces and I decide to buy one. I should be able to access it, forever. Even when all services shut down because I own that instance of the art/game code the company created.
I see. But i think this goes for all digital-only content and arent limited to "GaaS" models, and i dont see where the fraud comes in. For it to be fraud, there has to be a deliberate plan in motion to trick people. To me, "GaaS" is just a way to describe that a game will continue to get addtional content after its initial release (maybe not just one or two pieces of DLC or so, but more long term support).

I do of course agree that it would be nice to always have access to such content, but its just the nature of such distribution method. If someone closes shop, it cant be guaranteed that people always have access to it because its not offered on any physical media.

Monster Hunter World can also be played offline.

Last edited:

Tarikbrother

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Fortnite, CSGO, DOTA2 and other amazing games are the perfect counter-exemple to this kind of safe and uninventive rethoric. It's always rewarding to shit on GaaS on internet. Even their counter arguments are lack lusters. The bias is clear.

GaaS is fine in itself, plus it's clear people could care less about it. It's all about how it's handled.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I see. But i think this goes for all digital-only content and arent limited to "GaaS" models, and i dont see where the fraud comes in. For it to be fraud, there has to be a deliberate plan in motion to trick people. To me, "GaaS" is just a way to describe that a game will continue to get addtional content after its initial release (maybe not just one piece of DLC, but more long term support).

I do of course agree that it would be nice to always have access to such content, but its just the nature of such distribution method. If someone closes shop, it cant be guaranteed that people always have access to it because its not offered on any physical media.

Monster Hunter World can also be played offline.
Fortnite, CSGO, DOTA2 and other amazing games are the perfect counter-exemple to this kind of safe and uninventive rethoric. It's always rewarding to shit on GaaS on internet. Even their counter arguments are lack lusters. The bias is clear.

GaaS is fine in itself, plus it's clear people could care less about it. It's all about how it's handled.
I encourage you to watch the video, he talks about your points.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

But what do I know.

Basically this. Bringing out DLC or a few updates down the road is not GaaS, or that would fit into almost every game since DLC was a thing.

Gonna watch this video over the weekend.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, i dont have time to watch the video right now. But i cant see in any way that this is a deliberate form to trick people into anything. Does he have any specific proof for this? Or is he just speculating in that having a "Gaas" model means that publishers thread the content differently than any other downloadble-only content?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but going by what you said in the previous posts, it seems that his general point boils down to wanting to have access to the content forever. Which i think is a fair arguement in its own. Its just the part about fraud that i dont see.

EDIT: I added some text.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
It still means Quake, Half Life and Unreal Tournament were Games as a Service as they all used servers as online required a server and someone maintaining it. In fact, it now means any online multiplayer game is one.
For those games the company offering the game did not host (most of) the game servers (on PC at least), though they did host a master server for obtaining a list of servers and in some later cases authentication.

Tarikbrother

Banned
Apr 25, 2019

I already did. Bad attempt to dismiss an opinion you seem to disagree with.

He talks about those amazing GaaS games exemples, all the while, at the end, not considering they're precisely the reasons why his video wasn't worth the effort. If he wasn't biased, he would have made a video with a less click-baity title and would have been much more nuanced all along his presentation.

How can GaaS be a fraud when the best or most popular games in their genre are GaaS focused ? CSGO, probably the best and most popular shooter ever made. Heartstone revived TCG for the mass and is the most played of them all. Fortnite is a threat to even Netflix and a quality game... It's not just counter exemple or "concerns", those games are perfect exemples why GaaS being a "fraud" or something we should fight against is overblown by some internet activists.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
The whole GaaS argument feels meaningless to me.

I more or less exclusively play GaaS games, and I feel absolutely no need to engage in argument. Winning an internet argument feels meaningless when my 'side' has already won.

The biggest and best games are almost all service games. I can boot up stuff l loved years ago like For Honor, and find new content and an active player base. Service games as a whole do incredibly well, with the industry moving ever more in the direction.

What's the point of engaging when I've already got what I want?