• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has the Xbox App / Windows Store done any of this to you:

• Deleted a game but the space never freed up

Votes: 794 30.9%
  • Unable to uninstall a game at all

Votes: 518 20.1%
  • Unable to install a game at all

Votes: 565 22.0%
  • Had a game installed, but later it became unplayable and you can't reinstall

Votes: 517 20.1%
  • Other

Votes: 284 11.0%
  • Never had an issue with the Xbox App or Windows Store

Votes: 1,227 47.7%

• Total voters
OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Does this happen with every game on gamepass? I did delete a few games on gamepass via the launcher, but havnt checked if they are actually erased on the system.

It has happened so far to about 25-30% of all the GamePass games I have installed. It just randomly happens to a game, and once it does, you can not uninstall it or reinstall it ever again.

Nov 24, 2017
I had an issue with Wasteland 3 not being able to install about 4 months ago. What happened was I had the game installed, and an update came out for it and the download failed with this error: 0x87E00017

I then couldn't uninstall the game or re-download the game. It gave me the same error trying to re-download it, and a similar error trying to uninstall it from the Apps control panel or the Xbox app.

I spent the next few days googling that error code and trying dozens of "fixes". Nothing worked.

I finally contacted MS support and spent over 12 hours over several calls (they kept hanging up on me) to get it resolved. I went up about 3 levels in support, had them take control of my PC, the whole thing.

They eventually told me that I needed to completely delete my windows install and reinstall. I told them this wasn't a solution, because if this happened again I wasn't going to keep nuking my entire windows install then spend an entire day getting everything re-installed and having my work systems team have to reconfigure my computer so I can WFH.

Well, I eventually relented, nuked my windows install and spent a day re configuring everything. Wasteland 3 finally installed.

Last week there was an update for Wasteland 3 and it failed to install with the same error. The exact same thing happened. No way to play it, uninstall it or update it with the exact same error codes. That's 45 gigs I can't remove from my PC.

Then it happened to Gears of War 5. Another 100 gigs I can't remove from my PC.

Today I went to play Crusader Kings 3 and noticed it wasn't in my Xbox app game list. I definitely had it installed, and thought that was weird. When I hit the "install" button, I got the same error I got from Gears and Wasteland 3. The game shows up in my Apps control panel, but I can't uninstall it there either, same error.

There was an update for CK3, and I guess the Xbox app tried to download it on its own and that broke it.

Another 5 gigs gone.

Now I have no idea what other games have broken themselves and removed themselves from my Xbox app game list. Windows completely locks down all the folders that the store installs into, so not only can you not manually delete them, but even using apps like SpaceSniffer won't show you where space is being taken up by Windows Store apps. I may have dozens more GBs of locked and uninstallable SDD space being taken up by games that have disappeared from by Xbox App list that I didn't notice.

There are ways to open permissions to these folders, but apparently doing so will definitely break even more games in the Xbox App, so doing that isn't a solution either.

This has gotten completely out of control. Microsoft MUST fix this issue.

Googling finds dozens of hits of people experiencing the same issues and MS's solutions of "resetting the store" and various other boiler-plate responses do not work for any of these people posting the issues.
Googling dozens of anything means nothing, this is your experience... you presume a bigger issue that Microsoft MUST fix. Seems like a lazy post about a bad experience. Well my PS5 Broke and upgrade to FIFA 21 is not working, but you know what..... i could google and find dozens of the same issue, but i am self aware enough to know that is no indicator of the majority or a bigger issue.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
The app is completely unstable and basically a virus. I've found it has a 50% chance to not return the space to you upon uninstall. Games just go corrupt randomly and wont play, or crash, or whatever.

It's hard to not want to use it because it's so dirt cheap but it's an absolutely awful program. Thankfully I've never put anything on my main drive so I can just eventually shuffle stuff around and nuke those drives that are affected.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what bitsadmin returned:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> bitsadmin /list /allusers

BITSADMIN version 3.0
BITS administration utility.
(C) Copyright Microsoft Corp.

{0B88A0B3-C671-4EEB-814A-58158CBCAA84} 'Chrome Component Updater' TRANSFERRED 1 / 1 4527 / 4527
Listed 1 job(s).
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

this will download and install the NtObjectManager library needed to impersonate SYSTEM, run all of this in PowerShell as an administrator

Code:
Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted (needed to install modules)
Install-Module -Name NtObjectManager

press A for yes to all

Import-Module NtObjectManager

Start-Service TrustedInstaller
New-Win32Process cmd.exe -CreationFlags NewConsole -ParentProcess (Get-NtProcess -Name TrustedInstaller.exe)[0]

in new cmd window, type whoami and make sure you are SYSTEM

when you are finished deleting the files using that cmd prompt:

Set-ExecutionPolicy Default
Stop-Service TrustedInstaller

DM me if you need more help, I will get to this as soon as I can

additional reading:

www.tiraniddo.dev

The Art of Becoming TrustedInstaller

If you’ve spent any time administering a Windows system post Vista you’ll have encountered the TrustedInstaller (TI) group which most syst...

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Googling dozens of anything means nothing, this is your experience... you presume a bigger issue that Microsoft MUST fix. Seems like a lazy post about a bad experience. Well my PS5 Broke and upgrade to FIFA 21 is not working, but you know what..... i could google and find dozens of the same issue, but i am self aware enough to know that is no indicator of the majority or a bigger issue.

Have you read any of this thread? This exact issue has happened to many people in the thread as well, some of which have cancelled their Gamepass entirely because they couldn't solve it.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
this will download and install the NtObjectManager library needed to impersonate SYSTEM, run all of this in PowerShell as an administrator

Code:
Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted (needed to install modules)
Install-Module -Name NtObjectManager

press A for yes to all

Import-Module NtObjectManager

Start-Service TrustedInstaller
New-Win32Process cmd.exe -CreationFlags NewConsole -ParentProcess (Get-NtProcess -Name TrustedInstaller.exe)[0]

in new cmd window, type whoami and make sure you are SYSTEM

when you are finished deleting the files using that cmd prompt:

Set-ExecutionPolicy Default
Stop-Service TrustedInstaller

DM me if you need more help, I will get to this as soon as I can

additional reading:

www.tiraniddo.dev

The Art of Becoming TrustedInstaller

If you’ve spent any time administering a Windows system post Vista you’ll have encountered the TrustedInstaller (TI) group which most syst...

I'm sorry... what does this part mean: "when you are finished deleting the files using that cmd prompt"

Where and what files am I supposed to delete?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry... what does this part mean: "when you are finished deleting the files using that cmd prompt"

Where and what files am I supposed to delete?

the package for CK3:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ParadoxInteractive.ProjectTitus_1.0.88.0_x64__zfnrdv2de78ny

Nov 4, 2017
I've had issues like this several times. In the end I just booted into the pre-install environment, launched a command prompt and deleted the files manually. Great security, Windows. Block the user from doing something anybody with a Win10 USB can do. The store and apps are hot garbage, the OS robbing me of ownership of my own device is insulting, and apps installing without my permission is enraging (f$#@ off, Candy Crush!!!).

This kind of nonsense is why I use Linux for day to day computing, and only log into Win10 for games and apps that just won't play nice in Linux.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Thread made me do a double take. I reinstalled Windows 10 literally 2 days ago because Gamepass games were stuck on my system with no option to play them or uninstall them.

It's abhorrent how the PC software for Game Pass is hamstrung by Microsoft's clowning around when just about every third-party publisher and their mother are capable of putting out a capable launcher.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Lmao I literally just fully wiped my PC because of Microsoft Store fucking everything up. Couldn't download, update, or uninstall anything. All the games that were on there wouldn't work. Microsoft couldn't fuckin' help me and the people that had the same problem also never got an answer. It literally just fucks up some times and leaves you with no option but to use a bunch of programs that might not even work (like in my case). Its whatever because I kinda like when my computer is a fresh install.

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I did a complete reinstall of Windows (that MS support basically forced me to do while yelling at me), and two months later the same problems are happening again.

So yeah, you're looking at reinstalling Windows entirely every time this issue pops up again.

Exactly.

I mean, I'm due for a reinstall anyway since a fuckton of stuff is broken for me lately [windows update not working, windows security not working, etc].

Fuck, I should probably do that like tonight... UGH.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it sucks, happened to me, and I'm not tech savvy enough to fix it's. Taking so much space out of my ssd :(

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
PSO2 had a similar issue. Prior to the Arks Layer fix, people were having whole drives filled with a game that kept reinstalling itself without properly deleting the old game, in a folder no one could access.

Turns out you can just run 7zip as an admin and delete it. No messing with permissions or anything, which I fiddled with for hours to no avail. Not sure if that can be used for your problem though.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

There have been several lengthy threads about this here and many of us have had these issues as well. I've personally been down this path to reinstall Windows twice and I've since had my separate drive setup fail to update a game indefinitely before giving up on the store and PC Game Pass.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
Last week's update broke my install of FF 9 & Battle for the Grid. Formatting the drive got rid of the games but I can't reinstall them. I had all my games on a separate drive already so I didn't lose much but I decided it'd be better to have gp games on a different drive than my Steam games in case of another fuck up.

Nov 8, 2017
My experience was with Gears Tactics, which worked fine, then an update came out and the game wouldn't boot, then I tried to uninstall/reinstall and it kept disappearing from the game list but clearly not "deleting" properly, and then if you reinstalled it would tell you it reinstalled but actually nothing would happen and it would just appear in the app list instantly, broken again. Reinstalling Windows was indeed the only solution that worked.

I know so many people who've had so many bad experiences with this stuff. It's definitely widespread. It's unacceptable.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Last week's update broke my install of FF 9 & Battle for the Grid. Formatting the drive got rid of the games but I can't reinstall them. I had all my games on a separate drive already so I didn't lose much but I decided it'd be better to have gp games on a different drive than my Steam games in case of another fuck up.

Does it give you error 0x87E00017 when trying to reinstall?

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened to a journalist yet. I assume it inevitably will, and hopefully then they'll raise hell about it in an article and get Microsoft to actually respond

Carcosan Stag

AVALANCHE
Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Just throwing my 2 cents in.. Gamepass PC is terrible. The Microsoft Store on Win 10 is also terrible. I had issues with a game or two not uninstalling properly from Gamepass myself and I ended up trying to change folder settings to allow me to delete them.. Welp, either I messed up or Win 10 sucks because it then borked Microsoft Store access entirely. Couldn't use any native Windows app. Had no choice except to reinstall Windows. Such a huge pain in the ass. A program shouldn't require the end user to have to muck about in folder security permissions just to get rid of the shit that should have already been uninstalled from your shitty app.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Dude this kind of shit happens all the time on PC gamepass, it IS a wider issue.

Half the Gamepass launches have been a complete disaster, look at all the fun people had trying to install Microsoft Flight Simulator. Even just yesterday when Call of the Sea launched all the people who preloaded it had to completely redownload the full 35gb in order to ensure a small patch was included.

The only one making presumptions about the scale of the problem with this app is you my friend.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Boot an instance of Linux with a usb drive (takes 5 mins), and do whatever you want with the "lost" space.

Jun 22, 2018
Dude this kind of shit happens all the time on PC gamepass, it IS a wider issue.

Half the Gamepass launches have been a complete disaster, look at all the fun people had trying to install Microsoft Flight Simulator. Even just yesterday when Call of the Sea launched all the people who preloaded it had to completely redownload the full 35gb in order to ensure a small patch was included.

The only one making presumptions about the scale of the problem with this app is you my friend.
Even if those things happened, you have no idea to what scale. Even if you hear about it a lot, it could still only be like <1% of users. These things don't affect everyone.

Unless you can take a statistically significant sample, it's all just speculation about whether it hits a lot of people or not.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Even if those things happened, you have no idea to what scale. Even if you hear about it a lot, it could still only be like <1% of users. These things don't affect everyone.

Unless you can take a statistically significant sample, it's all just speculation about whether it hits a lot of people or not.

Sounds like this thread needs a poll!

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
it is MINDBLOWING that this hasn't gotten any coverage given this is the fourth or fifth thread i've seen on it

it happened to me after I had to reformat once, basically all my old GP installs were inaccessible after reinstalling and I had to use TakeOwnership to finally get that space back

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to this thread I found out that if you run SpaceSniffer in Admin mode it will show you how much space Xbox App/Windows Store app games take up as well.

This will make my troubleshooting a lot easier

Nov 8, 2017
Curious as to how many people who voted "no issues" have used it to install a lot of big games. Like 80% of games didn't give me probems, but then others did, so if you only played 1 or 2 games on GP then it could certainly still happen to you on any future one, at random.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Curious as to how many people who voted "no issues" have used it to install a lot of big games. Like 80% of games didn't give me probems, but then others did, so if you only played 1 or 2 games on GP then it could certainly still happen to you on any future one, at random.
I've only used gamepass to play The Outer Worlds, which I promptly uninstalled because it sucks, and it wasn't an issue at all, so that's what I voted.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I've had was with Forza Horizon 3 which kept downloading after it hit 100%, so I had to cancel it and start again, and then I think I paused the download halfway through and it reset itself to 0% when I resumed it... no problems since.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

It happened to me with Crusader Kings 2, and that is only 5 gig.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
  1. Unable to install a game at all
  2. Had a game installed, but later it became unplayable and you can't reinstall (Halo MCC currently)
  3. Other (Had a game installed, but later it became unplayable and you can't reinstall but mysteriously fixed itself after a windows update 6 months later)

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just admit defeat and put Game Pass on Steam. Then I'd consider trying it out.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
It has happened so far to about 25-30% of all the GamePass games I have installed. It just randomly happens to a game, and once it does, you can not uninstall it or reinstall it ever again.
Wow this sucks. Booting into safe mode just to get rid of the software is bs.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
I have 26 games installed via Xbox/MS Store and only PSO2 was problematic. I also have the games installed on multiple drives.

Jun 22, 2018
I would consider myself a fairly heavy user of game pass. I currently have 16 games installed on my main gaming PC, 12 games installed on my secondary PC, and rotate games in and out pretty regularly, uninstalling them and installing new ones. Never had an issue.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I've had an issue where I couldn't play Slay the Spire and reaching out to technical support was no help. I was unable to play for maybe a month and then it just fixed itself. Otherwise the app has been okay. I just had an issue where the app wouldn't open, but I restarted and it works fine now. There was actually an update so I think that may have been what was causing the issue.

But I agree there are some kinks that need to be worked out.

Nov 8, 2017
I've only used gamepass to play The Outer Worlds, which I promptly uninstalled because it sucks, and it wasn't an issue at all, so that's what I voted.

Not saying you shouldn't vote, I'm just curious as to what the breakdown would look like with very detailed survey data.

As far as I know, nobody has ever been able to get to the bottom of why it breaks. It seems to be a % chance at random with no discernible pattern. There obviously is some kind of technical reason behind it, but even people who do have issues don't have issues with every game.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Not saying you shouldn't vote, I'm just curious as to what the breakdown would look like with very detailed survey data.

As far as I know, nobody has ever been able to get to the bottom of why it breaks. It seems to be a % chance at random with no discernible pattern. There obviously is some kind of technical reason behind it, but even people who do have issues don't have issues with every game.
I guess I'll keep that in mind if I have a reason to use gamepass in the future

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017

You're asking for an impossible standard of proof, we're never gonna get that data. Only Microsoft has the numbers and they aren't gonna send out a press release telling everyone how many customers they have annoyed with their poor service.
  • Just look at the state of the subreddit though - The number one stickied thread on the pc game pass subreddit is about installation issues. Roughly 50% of the threads are about someone having issues downloading or installing a game. Compare this to the Epic Games Store or Steam subreddit where I can't see a single thread about technical issues in the first page.
  • Look at the review ratings for all the games on the store, it's absolutely saturated with 1-star reviews from people commenting about technical issues. These reviews get purged constantly for some reason, but the amount of 1-star reviews overwhelms the normal reviews. This doesn't happen on any other storefront.
  • Look at the amount of threads generated on this forum due to installation issues
  • Look at the release threads on this forum for new gamepass games. Every one of these threads that I have participated in has had multiple people talking about technical issues, usually related to installation.
Does this seem like a healthy storefront to you, or one that just has a small-scale problem?

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, well I located a 70 gig file in my WindowsApps MSIXVC folder which is the Gears 5 installed data.

I rebooted into safe mode, and it still wouldn't let me delete it, saying I needed admin access to do so.

Any other advice on how to get rid of this file without altering permissions on the WindowsApps folder?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I found out months after I thought I uninstalled Halo MCCC, that it was still lingering.

I'll only be buying my Microsoft games off Steam when possible. I don't like the Microsoft Store at all.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I remember some of the install paths for some games being really confusing. Like they were symlinks or something and that it would look like space was being eaten up on your OS drive (eventhough said game was installed on a different drive), but they weren't really taking up any space at all.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to reformat two non-OS drives before because of Game Pass shenanigans, let's call them.

I had reformatted my PC and put Windows 10 on fresh. But because I had games installed to other drives, that data was still on there. No matter what I tried (and trust me, I tried everything under the Sun), I simply could not remove that data from my drives.

I had to reformat the two extra drives just to reclaim that lost space. Their locking down of that entire directory needs to be a thing of the past already. Other than that, I really enjoyed Game Pass on PC and will probably get it again.

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
A quick fix I found was to load up 7zip with admin privileges and use that to delete whatever Microsoft Store app folders you need to delete. For some reason, that just works!

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
A quick fix I found was to load up 7zip with admin privileges and use that to delete whatever Microsoft Store app folders you need to delete. For some reason, that just works!

Holy crap that worked! I was able to see the folder and file with WinRar, but I couldn't delete the actual file. This let me do it...

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
IIRC it is related to "share windows updates between computers". Some PC's retain install files to share with other PC's on your network. It's idiotic, but the following worked for me to clear out any installed gamepass games: disable that setting and run disk cleanup.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I had a similar issue and was able to claim back the space by deleting my 'temporary files'. This was found somewhere in settings and the game pass installs were under the 'other' category.

Unfortunately, I still can't install Flight Sim or Ori. I think that's because I'm running bootcamp on an external drive though.