• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
You know how you love a game series and can't wait to play the next one, but after a few more games you just can't bring yourself to play another. Anyone have a series like that for you?

For me it was Uncharted. I platinumed Uncharted and Uncharted 2. I played a ton of Uncharted 2 multiplayer as well. I would easily put Uncharted 2 on my Top 10 games of all time list. Then Uncharted 3 came along and I played and enjoyed it, but only played though it once and barely touched the multiplayer. Uncharted 4 I got half way through and can't bring myself to finish and I didn't even buy Lost Legacy and I'm not sure I ever will. I hope I fall back in love with Uncharted some day but I feel they lost some of the magic that Uncharted 2 had. I think they got longer and bloated and also less polished.
First thing that popped into my head as well. I loved the original Uncharted trilogy and Golden Abyss. UC4 dragged for too long and the story seemed forced. The gameplay was fun but it'd lost its charm. I wouldn't have minded if it ended on the third.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I would recommend taking a break. I remember playing Yakuza 4 and 5 back to back which burned me out of the series for half a year.

Saying that I just replayed all the games released on PS4 (aside from Ishin) in a week without getting bored. In any case take a break until you itch to play more Yakuza.
I might do that. I started Yakuza 5 about a year after it released (and was frustrated when it became free on PS+) and started Yakuza 0 almost on launch day so that may have contributed to the fatigue.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted and God of War. I loved their earlier entries, especially the second entry for both series, and then got a little tired of their formulas. Still great games where I'll play their respective sequels when they drop in price, but I'm not pining for more of either one or day dreaming about where they might go next.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much Assassin's Creed for me.

I just spent half an hour writing a big post about why, but eh, reading it I bored myself, so instead the short version:

I grew up with AC1&2 being a few of my only X360 games at the time, when times and money were real tough here and I could only get 3-4 games a year. So I spent a long time playing these games and getting real into them, so the whole classic AC formula just has a comfy spot in my heart.

All this newfangled RPG trash in Origins and Odyssey just ain't the AC I fell in love with. No more running around like a badass assassin, blending into crowds to evade guards and stuff. Now there's stats, gear to worry about. Can't be cool if your armor doesn't have Crit chance or whatever nonsense the devs come up with.

I've had a fun ride AC1-3, Unity too, but I'm letting someone else take my seat on the AC train.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Need For Speed. Was a big fan of the first 5, then they went open-world and made everything more arcadey. NFS4 and 5 struck the perfect balance arcade and sim and had beautiful tracks across the world. I want them to go back to that.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
CoD - BO3 was the last good CoD game. Treyarch fucked up with BO4 MP, and they were the only studio releasing good CoD games. Infinity ward has only released shitty games after MW3, and the same goes for SHG. AW is the absolute worst CoD game.

happynaut

Jan 22, 2018
Don't call me a fanboy but The Legend of Zelda is my favourite series. I like the combo of puzzles and fighting enemies.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
TBH I was done after Fallout4, shit was trash and soured my outlook on Bethesda games

Im only in it for Doom Eternal, after that im done with Bethesda games.

Fallout 4 was my first Fallout game and even I thought it was dogshit. The atmosphere, color and art style are god awful compared to previous games' dirty and atmospheric tone, and the RPG element is basically non-existent. Also, what the hell is that dialogue system? Even for someone who had never played a Fallout game before knew that it was bad.

Sarcasm, Question, Yes, No....what is this torture?

I'm playing Fallout 3 right now and It's like a million times better imo, even the graphics looks better for me due to the superior art direction and concepts, I also like the settlers/NPCs clothing design a lot better compared to the ''everyone is a peasant in Boston'' approach in Fallout 4.

Scottius

Oct 31, 2017
Easily the top one is Final Fantasy. After X I fell off that that bandwagon hard. It used to easily be my favorite series too. For me X had the pinnacle of Final Fantasy style combat and the move away from that has alienated me from the series entirely.

Devil May Cry is another. I loved the first and third game but didn't like what was done with the series after that.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It used to be my favourite series but Final Fantasy just isn't the same anymore. I felt disappointed with the XIII trilogy, indifference with XV, I'm losing faith in the VII remake project, I'm not even anticipating XVI and I'm even starting to get a bit drained with the "classic" Final Fantasy fan servicey games filled with old characters and moogles and the like, they've leaned on past experiences for too long.
XIV is probably the only thing I've really enjoyed from the series in the past 10 years.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Pokémon. Particularly loved Black & White (2) but after those games, I started to care less and less. It's to the point that I'm genuinely astounded there was/is hype around Eevee/Pikachu for the Switch.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Halo

I loved the first one, even got into the novels and everything. The sequels were good but only for the multiplayer. And then Halo 4 was the last straw. Single player was crap but even the multiplayer was terrible. They were trying to copy CoD and it wasn't fun at all. I haven't even bothered to try Halo 5 and don't care anymore.

Ace Attorney is another one. I loved the first 3. The 4th and 5th ones were good but by #6 the formula had worn thin and every case is basically a mad lib of some previous case in the series. It had a good run but they need to either completely revamp the next one or just retire the series altogether.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Got a few:

Kingdom Hearts - A combination of the story going in a direction I didn't like and too much time passing between II and III. I was in high school when the first KH came out, and now I'm over 30. The side games I played did nothing for me, and I just stopped caring about the series.

Mass Effect - Was completely nuts about ME... and then the ending to the third game happened. I don't completely hate ME3 like many others seem to, though I certainly have a lot of issues with the story. But the original ending made me completely abandon the franchise.

Smash Bros. - Played the hell out of the first two. Had some fun with Brawl but wasn't a huge fan. Dropped Smash 4 after about a week, and have no plans on picking up the new one anytime soon, if ever.

Mariokart - Similar to Smash. Played the hell out of the SNES, N64, and GBA games, but with each new installment, I found myself playing less and less until I stopped completely.

I hate to say it, but Pokemon may be going on this list as well depending on how the next game turns out.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Fallout.. the last good one was New Vegas
I still of course really like the good ones - (fallout 1+2+NV), but the last two Fallout games were garbage in my opinion

Mass Effect .. really liked ME1+ME2
After those two games every other ME entry in the series was a total letdown for me

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Xenoblade. Chronicles and Chronicles X were both games that I adored, and sunk hundreds of hours into. When Xenoblade Chronicles 2 took a hard lean into embarrassingly juvenile otaku pandering, I took a hard lean out the door.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Cod, modern warfare was perfectly executed than they ran into difficulties with themes and over the top maps.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Souls. I liked Dark souls a lot , was breath of fresh air despite some pretty huge issues. Then DS2 happened which was something, then BB happened despite being decently made it never did anything for me , due to bad IQ and performance and just general aesthetic. And DS 3 felt so uninspired and felt like another one of those .
Uncharted series? Tho I never liked old trilogy in the first place .

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this counts, but Gears of War.

And I say this because I loved, LOVED the first one but the subsequent sequels never matched up the feeling of the 1st one, if that makes any sense.

Regarding Uncharted, I fell out of love only with its multiplayer. Uncharted's 2 multiplayer is so fucking good, then 3 is alright I still put like 100 hrs. Into it but my God, 4's multiplayer was an abomination.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Still a big gears fan and will be on gears 5 but after they went all in on respawn gametypes and bailed on 1 life rounds as the main draw siege took my top MP game spot from gears.

That intensity of 1 life is king

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo easily

Went downhill with every title more or less until i dont care anymore

However they next Halo "looks" to try something new and I am still willing to try it

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Probably Pokémon but I'd be up for playing the Switch one when I get a Switch

Loved Blue and Gold in the late 90s/early 2000s but after that I lost any urge to collect them all and didn't feel like playing easy formulaic JRPGs with shallow stories and simple battle systems

I think they're probably good games, but if the collecting aspect and/or competative play don't appeal to you, there are other JRPGs that do what is left a lot better than Pokémon

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Halo, Call of duty, Assassins Creed.. Just lost interest. Even though ill still buy the new Halo day one lol

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout for sure. Felt 3 and NV were fine, not fantastic but experiences I enjoyed without adoring. 4 was awful and went in a direction where I knew it was over for me.

jRPGs maybe...having played most of the DQ games through the decades, I was psyched for XI, but a few hours in and I felt fatigue. Exploration and story were fine, but I could not handle the mostly braindead fodder encounters anymore, even playing with draconian diff. I bounced off hard from Octopath around 12 hours in also this year. I loathed everything about FFXV. Once my fav genre and I feel done with it sadly. (But I'll probably keep buying them)

Street Fighter V killed my interest in SF. Even giving it a strong second chance with AE, it just failed to grab me. I miss IV, I miss II, I miss III. But I might just be done with the brand for now.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I find it very easy to get tired of story-focused/heavy franchises. Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Phoenix Wright, Danganronpa, etc. they all hit a point where they overstayed their welcomes. There is a point where I just couldn't care less what happens to the world or the characters and the gameplay just isn't strong enough to keep my interest. Most of the franchises whose gameplay I've fallen in love with OTOH are still going strong with me (of course, being gameplay-driven doesn't mean I'll automatically like them.)

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Mass Effect. 3's ending obviously was one hell of a sucker punch but it wasn't until Andromeda that I realized the series has nothing for me anymore.

Halo is a big one too, used to be really big into the lore but it became obvious that all the cool ideas and concepts were always going to be relegated to the background, with them opting for painfully generic stories and characters with each new entry. This was even a problem in the Bungie days so I can't really blame 343 exclusively, I feel like only 1 and Reach have actual worthwhile narratives, everything else in the series fails to live up to it's own potential.

I'll probably check out infinite eventually, but I'm not hyped in the slightest.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty is one, stopped playing around Black Ops but I remember playing Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero on my launch 360 vividly. Final Fantasy is sort of one but I haven't completely lost faith in the franchise, just really dislike XIII and XV and am not entirely sure I have faith in future games. Kind of a wait and see on that one. Another is Rockstar games in general. The Grand Theft Auto games aren't really so much funny so much as they are just like, kind of cynical and mean spirited in a way that doesn't gel with me like it used to. Red Dead Redemption 2 looks boring. Like, I'm sure there's a great game there but I just do not have the interest at all.

EPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Pokemon - last one I beat was diamond then I tried to start X after a couple paragraphs of text I was done. I'm hoping the new mainline Pokemon brings me back.

NBA 2K - VC Bullshit ruining my player series peaked at 2k11

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon for me. While I'm still very much a Pokemon fan, I don't have the same love for the newer games as I do the old ones. Maybe because I have so many other genres and options to play nowadays, instead of when I was younger I only had Nintendo handhelds.

Additionally, the newer Pokemon games are insultingly easy. There are too many cutscenes too that drag on forever. And whenever they introduce a new generation, starting for Gen 6, the amount of NEW Pokemon decreases every time. No, I don't count Mega Evolutions or Alolan forms in that category. NEW POKEMON, NOT RESKINS OR OVERPOWERED 4TH EVOLUTIONS. (Houndoom getting a Mega Evo instead of an an actual one just feels like robbery tbh)

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2. Black Armory is terribly boring and my desire to play has diminished completely.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty. Aside from Modern Warfare Remastered, I haven't picked up a new title since MW3.
Splinter Cell. Conviction killed all interest I had in the series. There are rumors of Ubisoft working on a new one, so I'm open to coming back.
Marvel vs. Capcom. MvC2 was the peak of the series for me. 3 Was good, but I wasn't a big fan of the art style and the magic was largely gone for me. We don't even need to talk about Infinite. Dragon Ball FighterZ seems like a suitable replacement.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel vs Capcom. There were still things to like about the last two games, but they just feel so hamstrung by bad/external decisions. I just want them to forget about the whole thing and do a Capcom All Stars or Project X Zone fighter instead.

Didyme

Oct 29, 2017
I love all the Souls and Blooborne games. That's the only series encompassing more than four games that never disappointed me.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Zelda was my favorite series of all time. Then ALBW and BotW happened. I don't think I'll ever get over what they've done to the series, it hurts. Couldn't care less about open-world or doing stuff in any order if it means the dungeons and puzzles suck now.

Oh well, it at least serves as motivation for me to make my own spiritual successor one day

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are... quite a few, actually.

Animal Crossing is a series I used to love, but the games have just felt like more of the same every time. I get bored of them much more quickly now.

I absolutely loved the first three Mario & Luigi games, but Dream Team started to peter out towards the end for me. I didn't buy Paper Jam until it was on sale almost a year after it came out, and dropped it very quickly. May not bother with the next one at all.

Paper Mario is another series I used to adore. The direction the newer games have gone is not something I really want out of the series, though. I dropped Sticker Star pretty quickly, and never bothered with Color Splash.

Halo and Gears of War are series that I used to play a lot of, but steadily played less and less of each iteration.

Uncharted is another good one. Loved the first two, still liked the third okay, but by the fourth game I was starting to get tired of the formula. Never finished Lost Legacy, and probably won't bother with the series anymore after this, if it continues.

And then there's Fire Emblem, which hasn't quite reached this point yet, but I'm definitely less enthusiastic about it than I used to be.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
220px-Mass_Effect_Andromeda_cover.jpeg

The ME3 ending wasn't the killing blow for me, especially given how great the Citadel DLC was, but it sure didn't help.

Luckily, they murdered the series just in time to coincide with my falling out of love.

Combined with Dragon Age Inquisition being an embarrassingly bad single player MMO slog and Bioware in general have gone from being a personal favourite to who-gives-a-shit-what-they're-doing. Can't even be bothered keeping up with Anthem.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy - it was my obsession through middle & high school. I just don't really care about what the series has been for the last 15 years. It might have been the money monster just going out of control with lame as hell spin-offs and supplemental material.

Fallout - I came in at 3 and it was my first real attempt at a Western RPG. Prior to that I had only really had experience with JRPGs. I was really into the two last gen games. Fallout 4 was just not very compelling and Fallout 76 is, well... tbh, I'm pretty sick of seeing that Vault Boy everywhere.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
GTA.

After the mess that is GTA 5 I just can't get hyped for any of the rockstar games and GTA in particular.

For me it was the loss of that Rockstar arcade-y feel during their PS2 era. They decided to go full on almost-realism with long animations for everything and input lag for movement, including more serious long winded stories(I miss the simpler times of Claude, CJ, and Tommy Vercetti). People say that want a new Bully but they should expect some of the funner, goofier moments to be sucked out of it.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pokémon. After the downward spiral starting with XY and helicopter crash ending with Let's Go, I just can't get legitimately excited for another entry or defend their asinine design decisions.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
It was Halo multiplayer during Reach and 4 but I've been back with Halo 5, MCC and Infinite looks promising.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Harvest Moon. Was real big on them until Magic Melody on the GameCube, it was that point where they just started introducing either really weak collect-a-thon elements or mechanics I wasn't that into. This was also fueled by my interest in handheld gaming waiting, which is where all those ended up going in the end. I'd try each of the DS or 3DS ones but just stopped shortly after the shift the Story of Seasons, and never touched the Natsume ones past that. I know some of those SoS ones were considered pretty good, but I had just lost all interest in it.

Stardew really hooked me though. Just wish the character interactions and stories were more indepth.