• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
No way this doesn't rise in price at some point this year

The ActiBlizz deal won't even be closed this year.

I'm sure the price will eventually increase, but I still think we're at least 2-3 years out from that. They haven't even bothered to close the much-discussed loophole letting people "upgrade" Gold to GPU for a dollar.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So isn't the deal closing in June 2023? Does that mean no Activision Blizzard games on GP until a year and a half from now? That's a wait

I guess they could strike up a separate deal to bring Activision games to Game Pass beforehand but I wouldn't expect anything much before 2023.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Well, now we know that Jez Corden was not correct when he leaked 23M as of April 2021.
No chance GP numbers jumped by 5M within 3 months without notable releases in early 2021, and only grew 2M during the last 9 months and GP-releases of Halo and FH5

Yeah, there was pushback on that 23 million figure almost right away. Jeff Grubb said the number was only 21 million by E3, which tracks with today's figure.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Not surprised at all. It's amazing for people like me who stopped caring about owning things as we rarely replay games. And I'm in my 40s and an old fogey in that regard vs. the younger generations who grew up with Netflix, Spotify et al. and have little to no attachment to physical media (unlike me with a few hundred DVDs/Blu-ray's in binders in a closet that haven't been unzipped one since getting put in there due to non-use during a downsize 3+ years ago).

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So isn't the deal closing in June 2023? Does that mean no Activision Blizzard games on GP until a year and a half from now? That's a wait
I thought the deal was closing in ActiBlizz's next financial year (ie some time between June 2022 and June 2023)? Certainly, I don't think it's specifically going to be a year and a half (even if I do suspect that there's going to be a fair few competition committees looking at this acquisition).

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Seems the rate of increase slowed and thus another acquisition. They will keep buying until you have no choice but to subscribe.
Thanks I hate it, now people will understand why I dislike the subscription wars. Now we will have 3 or 4 companies owning everything, no one can convince me that's a good thing.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
25M at $15 a month* is some nice pocket change.

*I know its not really $15 a month with the upgrade gimmicks, but assume $5-10 and thats still impressive.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It should grow considerably when the next CoD title launches.

I wonder if we'll see older CoD games hit game pass. I'd love to play some CoD 4 / 5 again, but I'd rather not buy them at $20 each.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
No way this doesn't rise in price at some point this year
By September I imagine. I only locked in a year with the $1 upgrade to ultimate workaround.

This is all very interesting timing as rumors have it Sony is planning on some sort of Game Pass plan of their own. I think it's just Sony amalgamating all of their services like PS Now and Plus together and making it better. They too want to raise the price I imagine to $15 a month or maybe even $20 a month.

Microsoft would love to get to 50 million subscribers by the time Elder Scrolls comes out.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Is that 25 million active members or does that include ones that tried it out and didn't renew?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Folks dreading a sub increase better hope Sony pulls through. Because that's how fees stay low.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Because even after the acquisition today, they are still behind Sony and Tencent in terms of revenue. Not sure if underdog is the right word, but.....
They have spent like 10 years worth of their competitor's revenue in acquisitions. Revenue means nothing when they are not actually relying on that revenue to do business.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Just look at how Microsoft and Game Pass is slowly centralizing so many major publishers:

Purchase of Bethesda and ATVI for full control
Existing, positive relationship with EA with many titles on Game Pass
An improving relationship with Ubisoft which may lead to some form of Game Pass deal down the road (separate subs for now)

The downside is I do see an increase to ~$20 coming at some point, especially if Ubisoft is thrown in. But it still makes it one hell of a deal. I mean outside of T2 and other first-party exclusives, Game Pass may eventually have almost every major (Western) release either Day 1 or within a few months of release.

Easy to see the subs continue to grow several million a year, especially if they get the PC app fixed.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy that Sony had a goal of killing Microsoft out of the console gaming industry with the Playstation 5, according to Rand and Jez of the Xbox 2 podcast (they said they heard from multiple sources that that was Sony's goal going into this new generation). Sony was trying to line up as many huge blockbusters as possible the first year of PS5 and also paid for many expensive exclusives. It makes sense after the cataclysmic Xbox One generation. I'd go for the killshot too if I were Sony given how badly MS screwed up with the Xbox One.

Think COVID really screwed with their plans, by delaying many titles and also being part of the supply chain problems that have limited the number of PS5s they can manufacture.

Now, MS is the strongest it has ever been in the gaming space, by a substantial degree.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
It's crazy that Sony had a goal of killing Microsoft out of the console gaming industry with the Playstation 5, according to Rand and Jez of the Xbox 2 podcast (they said they heard from multiple sources that that was Sony's goal going into this new generation). Sony was trying to line up as many huge blockbusters as possible the first year of PS5 and also paid for many expensive exclusives. It makes sense after the cataclysmic Xbox One generation. I'd go for the killshot too if I were Sony given how badly MS screwed up with the Xbox One.

Think COVID really screwed with their plans, by delaying many titles and also being part of the supply chain problems that have limited the number of PS5s they can manufacture.

Now, MS is the strongest it has ever been in the gaming space, by a substantial degree.
Sony will still win out this generation - but it'll be a lot closer next

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
25 million people that will be able to play WoW soon.
It will be interesting how Microsoft handles World of Warcraft. I have doubts they just roll it into Game Pass for free. That is a lot of monthly revenue they'd be getting rid of. I think its more likely that they provide a discounted monthly subscription fee for World of Warcraft if you are a game pass subscriber.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
It's much less than expected. But with series s and exclusive cod it will become defacto casual box increasing this number tremendously

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
you increase the price when you hit the peak, 25 million and the majority of that is probably just Xbox one which kinda bombed lol. It's not time for that yet.
Yeah, there are only about 12 million Xbox Series X | S's sold so far, yet Game Pass subscriptions have passed 25 million. I guess that is from Xbox One owners and PC owners, maybe a very small percentage of Cloud only subscribers.

I fully expect Xbox Series X | S sales to approach or exceed 100 million (360 sold about 85 million and the Series X | S are outselling 360 after their first years on the market). Game Pass subscriber numbers will just keep increasing as more Series X | S sales happen. Also, I expect the number of PC Game Pass subscribers to explode with this acquisition as Activision Blizzard really has compelling PC IPs like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc.

Cloud is the real trump card. If Microsoft can get cloud gaming to be as smooth an experience as Google Stadia, which I believe WILL happen, then a real sizeable market of Cloud and TV streaming gamers are out there that would also purchase Game Pas subscriptions, even without an Xbox or PC.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
They added Bethesda games well before the Bethesda sale officially closed. I expect the same with Activision Blizzard titles. I'd expect to see some added in the next couple of months.

Edit: Actually, maybe I am misremembering. I thought for sure they added a handful of Bethesda titles after the announcement but before the deal closed but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved just downloaded Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc and happy to see this continue to grow.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
If we take the conservative view that each person brings $5 of revenue per month, that would be $1.5billion of revenue per year. That's a GOOD amount of money, ignoring all the other advantages that come with it.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
It's going to get really hard for people to ignore what MS is doing after awhile. As much as we all love the Series X though imagine all those Series S's that will sell because of this. MS had it right the whole time.