Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People saying Jon's heritage didn't matter is the most baffling thing to me. The Targaryen secret was the most central plot of the season! It is what made Sansa fully oppose Dany, made Varys and even Tyrion doubt Dany, and largely contributed to Dany's madness. Because his heritage didn't get Jon on the throne after killing Dany means it didn't matter? Give me a break!

Sansa was already opposed to Dany, she just used it against her. Also it's hilarious that Dany in her final scene suddenly had no issues whatsoever with Jon being the heir and was telling him they'll do it together.

Even tho one of Varys' main issues was that they wouldn't do it together because she wouldn't be up for that lol.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sansa was already opposed to Dany, she just used it against her. Also it's hilarious that Dany in her final scene suddenly had no issues whatsoever with Jon being the heir and was telling him they'll do it together.

Even tho one of Varys' main issues was that they wouldn't do it together because she wouldn't be up for that lol.

Varys expressed concern that even if she ruled with Jon she would bend him to her will.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
All heads of parliament in the EU countries travel to Germany, where they approach a prison on the outskirts of Berlin. A shackled prisoner walks out and tells them who should rule the EU, all the leaders nod and agree. Everybody goes home.
Fin.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

My thought on this was that since she just lost Tyrion she didn't want to lose Jon as well. At this point she really doesn't have anyone who she can really trust aside from GW so she was trying to keep Jon around.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Because Drogon was the only fully grown and matured dragon.
The other two were stunted in the the dungeon.
And it seemed like Drogon's fire was amplified by Dany's rage.

anigif_sub-buzz-681-1552951785-1.gif

How much more power do you need? He also punches a massive hole clean through one of Winterfell's walls with just one quick flyby. NK was a dummy. Could have won this war if he didn't pull an Oberyn.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Does he even have a fucking motive in the show? We now know he wanted to be king for a long time, yet no one knows why.

It's been implied--and bungled about with questionable writing, but still mostly intact--that time is a closed loop in Game of Thrones. The obvious example being Hodor: even "before" Bran projected back through time and broke Hodor, Hodor was always broken, because events Bran will do in the past he already has done in the past. Basically, he has no agency; he can see the shape of time and is more aware than anyone that nothing he does can ever change the course of it.

That is, presumably, what he means when he asks, "Why do you think I came all this way?" Not, "This is what I've wanted and I've manipulated events to make it happen," but rather, "I never had any choice, none of us did. This was always going to happen."

That's why he doesn't "want", because he knows what he wants doesn't actually matter. He gets what he gets, what he's always gotten and always will have gotten, and there's not a thing he can do to change that.

(Now, whether the writing of this is consistent...)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's been implied--and bungled about with questionable writing, but still mostly intact--that time is a closed loop in Game of Thrones. The obvious example being Hodor: even "before" Bran projected back through time and broke Hodor, Hodor was always broken, because events Bran will do in the past he already has done in the past. Basically, he has no agency; he can see the shape of time and is more aware than anyone that nothing he does can ever change the course of it.

That is, presumably, what he means when he asks, "Why do you think I came all this way?" Not, "This is what I've wanted and I've manipulated events to make it happen," but rather, "I never had any choice, none of us did. This was always going to happen."

That's why he doesn't "want", because he knows what he wants doesn't actually matter. He gets what he gets, what he's always gotten and always will have gotten, and there's not a thing he can do to change that.

(Now, whether the writing of this is consistent...)
Ok, we'll change it to "we know he's known he'd be king for a long time". None of this describes a motivation. None of it describes why "we need to tell him [Jon]" about his background, why any of it matters, why the end result of Bran being king even matters to him. "Why do you think I came all this way"? No one fucking knows. And yet every asshole around him voted him for completely nonsensical reasons.

Like what even happens now that he's king? Where are his visions leading him from here?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
That's cuz that's lifted straight from the books.

Right, but even the show-original content in the early seasons were so much better. Thinking of the Tywin/Arya scenes, the Tywin introduction scene where he's butchering a stag, etc. There just wasn't anything like in that later seasons. The only thing I can think of is the R+L=J reveal.

Everything else just felt...bland.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think Bran beats Robert Baratheon in a straight up election? I definitely got Robert on the personality points

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
that dragon put a big ass hole in winterfell if you remember. Which was weird because for some bizzare reason Jon was hiding behind the wall and a stone but the same dragon couldn't do anything?

This is the kind of stuff that separates these later seasons from the first where Ned stark suffers an injury to his leg which seriously hinders him, or where an infection from a relatively superficial wound causes Khal Drogo to die.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of stuff that separates these later seasons from the first where Ned stark suffers an injury to his leg which seriously hinders him, or where an infection from a relatively superficial wound causes Khal Drogo to die.
Magic returned to the world post season 1 so its okay.

Someone legit used them as a defense when I brought up that criticism when Arya survived getting gutted and falling into dirty shit water

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
that dragon put a big ass hole in winterfell if you remember. Which was weird because for some bizzare reason Jon was hiding behind the wall and a stone but the same dragon couldn't do anything?
Vyserion's throat was ripped open and leaking fire juice. He couldn't generate enough force/heat to explode stone. It's science.

Alternative explanation:

giphy.gif

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still stunned that we had a bunch of white walkers and a bunch of people with Valyrian steel swords and we didn't get a single fight scene in the Battle of Winterfell.

Also the entire White Walker storyline boiling down to the "kill the boss and his army dies" climax that blockbuster films fall back on. Tragic bullshit.

ETA: Upon reflection of the entire season/series, Jaime should have died at Winterfell. Also Sam.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Ok, we'll change it to "we know he's known he'd be king for a long time". None of this describes a motivation. None of it describes why "we need to tell him [Jon]" about his background, why any of it matters, why the end result of Bran being king even matters to him. "Why do you think I came all this way"? No one fucking knows. And yet every asshole around him voted him for completely nonsensical reasons.

Like what even happens now that he's king? Where are his visions leading him from here?

That's what I'm saying: he doesn't really have a motivation. That's what it means to not want. He does things because he's seen that they're the things that are going to happen, and doesn't really care about how or why because he knows he doesn't have agency over them.

He "came all this way" to be crowned because it's what was always going to happen, regardless of how he felt about it or what he tried to do to stop it. The only time he really deviates from this sort of indifference is when it comes to Jon, which is likely Old Bran sneaking through the detached disinterest; he knows Sam telling Jon won't make him any happier, but he does it anyway. He knows what happens when Sansa finds out, but he does it when Jon asks anyway. The "courtesy" of pretending like anyone involved has any choice in the affair is Baby Bran screaming in the prison of his own mind "maybe they'll say 'no' and this shit won't happen!" but of course, it all transpires exactly like it always had to.

Now, again, I don't know how well the show's writers grasp this. I have a feeling everything to do with the greensight was explained very carefully to them, and they either didn't entirely understand or very much didn't like it. (And I wouldn't even be that surprised if, when Martin reaches that point in the story, he realizes he doesn't particularly like it, either.)

Oct 25, 2017
Someone here posted that they wanted Bran getting up from his wheelchair as the final shot. As the ep drew to a close I was actually hoping for that to happen, but alas. MEIN RAVEN, I CAN WALK

YES

that would have been incredible. Bran wins, reveals long game plan. Final shot is him riding Drogon on a victory lap over the seven kingdoms. Or eight, if we count the True North as one too.

Wish the last scene of the finale was Bran turning towards the camera and smirking.

well, at the very least they copied the fist shot of the pilot where the wildlings / soldiers were running from the north / WW.

The problem of course is that the show made it as if the real threat was never the WW / NK to begin with.

You can tell by the soundtrack that they definitely were going for episode 3 to be "the end" though (the night king theme in particular). Not sure why they flipped it around, but the post-mortem on this season should be a great case-study for people who want to create similar 'fiction with a bible' adaptations at least.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Because Drogon was the only fully grown and matured dragon.
The other two were stunted in the the dungeon.
And it seemed like Drogon's fire was amplified by Dany's rage.
blue fire is hotter and more intense than yellow fire. just because he was smaller certainly does not mean he was not as capable of as much destruction as Drogon.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still stunned that we had a bunch of white walkers and a bunch of people with Valyrian steel swords and we didn't get a single fight scene in the Battle of Winterfell.

Also the entire White Walker storyline boiling down to the "kill the boss and his army dies" climax that blockbuster films fall back on. Tragic bullshit.

ETA: Upon reflection of the entire season/series, Jaime should have died at Winterfell. Also Sam.
Take this with a grain of salt, but one of the leakers on freefolk that leaked a ton of prop pics said that he saw a scene being filmed in which Jaime dies in Brienne arms. Might of been one of those fake scenes shot to throw off the extras. Either way, thats what should've happened.