Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
2018-09_3-cover-art-header-AC_rok.jpg

More info at the site

We were lucky enough to visit Ubisoft Quebec's HQ a few months ago, when it revealed it was working on the next installment in the Assassin's Creed series. After playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey for about five hours, we thought we had a good handle on the changes the team was making to the franchise. As Game Informer readers will soon find out, that first look was just part of the story. We recently came back from a second visit, where we've gained a much better appreciation of what the team means when they say they're pushing RPG elements like never before. We've got deep dives on how its ancient Greek setting is teeming with life, from its ever-present political infighting to its exciting new mercenaries system. Through it all, one thread stands out: choice. Your decisions matter in Odyssey, as you'll see in our 14-page cover story.

Kost2coast

Oct 27, 2017
This....will probably be my work pc's background. I'm super excited for this AC more-so than any of the previous ones in the past.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just wrapped up everything in Origins. All DLC included.

Gonna take an incredible act of god to will me to jump back into another landmass chock full of outposts to clear... I need another couple years off unless some originality is truly shown here.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Just wrapped up everything in Origins. All DLC included.

Gonna take an incredible act of god to will me to jump back into another landmass chock full of outposts to clear... I need another couple years off unless some originality is truly shown here.
Even though I didn't pick up any DLC, I managed to grab the Platinum trophy, and this is where I stand as well. They really need to double or triple the variety of stuff you do in this for it to be worth another 50 hours or so.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I didn't pick up any DLC, I managed to grab the Platinum trophy, and this is where I stand as well. They really need to double or triple the variety of stuff you do in this for it to be worth another 50 hours or so.

Yea, on the one hand I did enjoy the game enough to sink 100 hours into earning all trophies(DLC 2 was looong and had some unique zones at least), I was curious enough as a fan to see any breadcrumbs this "origin" game offered towards the metaplot(not much) alongside checking out all the content over a few months of play.

So on the other hand I felt cheated given a majority of those hours were repetitious nonsense that padded out the world and made Egypt feel like a series of checklists where every few feet you murder and loot an outpost full of the same guards.

There was 20 good hours to be experienced and 80 bleh...but I am unclear if I am to blame for maintaining my curiosity and interest despite evidence to the contrary as I uncover the fog of war in each zone, or Ubi for focusing on the scale over quality?

That said, as a fan of the franchise, I can't help but hope for the best, but too soon...

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but be disappointed in the direction the series went, outside of the modern day stuff and the Isu plot.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
This is the first time in a LONG while when a new Rockstar game got zero Game Informer coverage. Was really expecting it to be Red Dead

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever i hear "Assassin's Creed Odyssey" It just reminds me of Super Mario Odyssey and then i just imagine an Assassin wearing a Mario cap on his hood with a large Moustache on his face and going "Wahoo!!"

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
At the time of it's release my mother will be travelling around Greece for the first time. It'll be great to see and play in ancient greece while receiving pictures of her travels. I'm more and more hyped, even moreso after having seen the screenshot where you can see the numerous kind of biomes the game has. A bit weird they havn't marketed it though, you'd think they would want to show as much difference between Origins and Odyssey as they can.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
can I just buy a single issue of the digital magazine? seems like the annual sub is the only option.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
YESSSSS. Let's freaking go.

I've got roughly two months to get through Spidey before this come and destroys the rest of my holidays. (I'll get RDR2 later.)

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Hey look it's only featuring the dude again, what a coincidence

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

That's a very thorough playthrough- I'm guessing the Roman story + timeline doesn't interest you as much compared to Origin's Egypt?

After playing Wildlands, I've purchased Farcry 5 Gold day 1 & I definitely need a break from the formula.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That's a very thorough playthrough- I'm guessing the Roman story + timeline doesn't interest you as much compared to Origin's Egypt?

After playing Wildlands, I've purchased Farcry 5 Gold day 1 & I definitely need a break from the formula.
To be honest, the different settings aren't that big of a draw to me anymore. Back in the Ezio days, seeing Rome or Cappadocia fully realized visually was amazing, but mostly because that type of open world experience was still somewhat novel at the time.

But now that the novelty wore off, I don't think Assassin's Creed really utilizes the settings they choose to their fullest. Apart from a couple of missions and the Egyptian gods DLC stuff, almost everything about Origins could have just as well been content for an Assassin's Creed game set in old Greece or Russia or wherever. The storylines are always the super basic "Poor people suffer because of rich people's greed", which is universal. You can get glimpses of actual culture from the time period portrayed in the game through codex entries and in some of the dialogue from side quests, but none of that is ever actually reflected in the gameplay itself.

Of course, it's still super cool seeing the pyramids and stuff like that, but not enough that I'd be willing to fork out $60 year after year just to have the same experiences in different scenic routes.

Edit: The Hippodrome races in Origins were a really cool addition in concept, and an example of the stuff I'd like to see more of in these games, but they sucked really bad u.u

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Of course, it's still super cool seeing the pyramids and stuff like that, but not enough that I'd be willing to fork out $60 year after year just to have the same experiences in different scenic routes.

Talk for yourself
If i'm an AC fan it's because of the country and time period discovery. The Discovery Mode in this one gonna be amazing.
Im not buying AC to see some Aliens talking in riddle with golden disco lights.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Only here have I seen anyone give a crap about those that came before.

Everyone was saying a few years ago to cut that shut out, they did, and now it's treated like a great tragedy when this is what was asked for.

Mind boggling. Anyway, I am in. After months of jrpgs a wrpg with great combat and production will be refreshing for me.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil