• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 17, 2017
This. Please.
H4GXJi7.png
doomfist-thumbsdown-overwatch.jpg.optimal.jpg

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're coming out and saying this, it means they don't have any characters in. Now I just need Bethesda and Microsoft to say similar things so I can sleep a little better at night knowing I'm not about to blindsided by a fucking Skyrim-man or Steve announcement.

I mean, if Banjo Kazooie gets in the game, wouldn't Microsoft need to keep their mouth shut about that?

Also, as I've said before, I'll love any character that gets in. But Blizzard did just start working with Nintendo after awhile.

I think Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft deserve a look at some point to see if anyone can be added. Especially Ubisoft if we want Western representation. They've had a great relationship for years now, and they have characters that would fit right at home with the Nintendo crew.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Honestly perfect time to put a Black character in, Smash is a white wash despite being Japanese ironically. Lucio, Paladin from D2 (Sakurai loves his Swordsmen) Doomfist (Would fit perfect in Smash Bros) & Witch Doctor.
Probably though if we get a Rep it would be Tracer, which is fine too really.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly perfect time to put a Black character in, Smash is a white wash despite being Japanese ironically. Lucio, Paladin from D2 (Sakurai loves his Swordsmen) Doomfist (Would fit perfect in Smash Bros) & Witch Doctor.
Probably though if we get a Rep it would be Tracer, which is fine too really.

Well... I gotta admit, I struggle to think of any non-White character from old Japanese console games to be honest. I'm sure there are a few (emphasis on "few"), but does anyone know them? This is one case where I think it's totally understandable that there is little diversity, in the sense that Smash can only work with what exists (as opposed to creating new characters). I mean, you got huge monsters, badass women in space armors, dogs, ducks, robots, Pokémon... It's definitely not far-fetched to have Black characters, but where are they in classic gaming? Although it's worthy to note that 2 of the Inkling's alternative colors are black-skinned, so there's that I guess. No such luck for Villager though.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Are there even any memorable Diablo characters on the level of the Smash cast? Aside from KKRool, the rest of the cast is just so great I don't think anything from Diablo would fit. On the other hand, Overwatch would be right at home in Smash

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
I could imagine Tracer being absolute cancer to fight against in Smash Bros, so I hope she doesn't get in despite myself liking the character a lot.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, I agree with you, and I know who those characters are.

There's "well-known within the franchise", and then there's "recognizable even if you've never played the game". People with limited exposure to Blizzard's games might know Diablo, Tracer, generic Orc soldiers, Protoss and Zerg units, and maybe Deckard Cain and the Butcher if they've played a bit of Diablo, but those games' named characters, ironically enough, don't have those striking unique designs that a lot of Japanese arcade and console games from the 80s and 90s had. Many Western characters lack recognizability because they're just fairly-realistic looking humans. Show Jim Raynor (arguably Starcraft's biggest protagonist) to anyone who's never played Starcraft and they'll go "oh, that's a Space Marine!". By contrast, even those beat 'em up characters I mentioned earlier are much more striking and fitting despite being humans. They're more stylized and more colorful.

A Protoss is a much more iconic figure for Starcraft, if only because they're on the equally iconic boxart lol.
I disagree with lumping Tracer in there.
Overwatch has fantastic and colorful character designs and anyone who knows anything about shooters will instantly recognize her, since she is at the fron an center of the marketing.

Not saying she should be in though. She doesnt have any history with Nintendo.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with lumping Tracer in there.
Overwatch has fantastic and colorful character designs and anyone who knows anything about shooters will instantly recognize her, since she is at the fron an center of the marketing.

Not saying she should be in though. She doesnt have any history with Nintendo.

I... didn't lump her in there. I specifically mentioned her as one of the few characters people could recognize. Reread my post.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
You'd be hard pressed to find a company that wouldn't want this. Free press, free marketing for whatever title they've got out currently, and free publicity.

Would Fire Emblem be as big today globally if not for Roy and Marth in Melee?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch being my favorite I would prefer Tracer. Such a well designed hero, but not sure she would work in a game like Smash.

Diablo would work.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have been asking for a western/PC representative... Not too many bigger names than Diablo on PC

Doomguy will always be more iconic. Doom is as instrumental to making PC gaming what it is today as Mario was to console gaming. If there is one character from all of PC gaming that should get priority over every other (including Blizzard characters), it's him.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd buy Smash Bros if they put Arthas in it.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Doomguy will always be more iconic. Doom is as instrumental to making PC gaming what it is today as Mario was to console gaming. If there is one character from all of PC gaming that should get priority over every other (including Blizzard characters), it's him.
I would agree, which is why I said there are not too many.

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Do Japan even care for Diablo? If any Blizzard property goes to Smash to attract the Japanese crowd its Starcraft/Overwatch.

Diablo as a trophy would work no doubt or as a downloadable Ridley skin/echo.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Not happening. The chances of Sakurai opting to add a Western third-party character are slim to none, and if we were to get one, it's almost certainly going to be one with an actual connection to Nintendo like Banjo.

One recent port on a Nintendo console does not make one Smash Bros worthy.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
It's so cool to see Bliz pumped about Smash enough to declare they'd like to put a character of theirs in it. Some third party Nintendo love has been missing for a long while!

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree, which is why I said there are not too many.

Yup. No idea who I would pick besides him though. As far as being iconic. Not even sure I'd go for Diablo (or a Diablo character), Tracer, or any other Blizzard character first. Deckard Cain would be fun as an assist trophy though!

If we're talking about fitting with the overall Smash universe and artstyle though, I'd probably go with LucasArts point n' clicks. The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of having Guybrush Threepwood in there. I know it's never going to happen, but it's fun to entertain anyway. Going back to Blizzard, the Lost Vikings are a great fit.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Rather a Starcraft rep since they have reoccuring characters like Raynor, Kerrigan, Fenix, and Zeratul. But I don't know how any of them can fit into smash. Maybe the Protoss characters can.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
If someone from Warcraft would get announced from Smash I would seriously scream. Ridley, K. Rool, these were all at least within realm of reasonable doubt, someone like Lich King or especially the goat Illidan is not.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Tyrael would be decent representation of the series.

latest
I think Tyrael would be a better fit in Soul Calibur personally, but only because there's too many sword fighters in smash as is. Still think this is a good idea though.
A Hell stage with Diablo boss and Deckard Cain Assist Trophy would be cool.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief would be more appropriate as it'd be easier to get around the 'no ballistic weapons' rule; also just a generally more important character.
I don't think this is really a rule anymore, as Bayonetta has ballistic weapons (sure they have their magic or whatever, but they're still ballistic guns at the end of the day)

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give me Overwatch, HotS and WoW on Switch. I'd be in gaming heaven tbh. Link WoW achievements to unlocking characters in Smash. :o

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Man i really want to know if some dev already refused to allow his character to participate.

Its almost free marketing

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I wont be the first one to say no to more western reps in smash but blizzard is not the first company id jump to when Crash and Spyro are ripe for the picking.