• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think offering the option - just the option - to increase text size should be enforced at the platform level. Maybe a force text specific zoom (I know each console has a Zoom feature, but it's a bit... well, it zooms everything when I would just want the text zoomed, lol).
Subtitles should also have color/background/stroke options on an OS level if possible.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Death stranding will have a patch on Dec 12 for text size.

Wait, really!? I just started playing the game a few days ago, and the text size was really bugging me. The spots in the UI where it gives you the tooltip to select a building submenu and it's just fucking impossible to read. And in several places the text in menus is just slightly too small and I play on a 55" TV that's not that far away.

Shit I'll hold off for a while if that's the case.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This is a consistent issue for me as well. It's very common in PC to console ports, but it's not exclusive to them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Subtitles should also have color/background/stroke options on an OS level if possible.
Yeah, subtitle backgrounds are another feature that is bafflingly overlooked.
I agree with all of what you said, really. "But it costs money", fuck off, you're spending a hundred million dollars on marketing, you can spend a few hundred thousand dollars on implementing subtitle options.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade X for WiiU had small ass text and I have glasses... I just said screw that and never played it and never found it if an update happened for the small text.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the text in-menu in Death Stranding was basically unreadable. I guess scaling between font size and aspect ratios are to blame but I don't know, just figure it out.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
In about 20 years, when the first console gaming demo starts hitting their 50's, this will turn into a priority.

For now, probably not.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I remember the original Dead Rising having this issue and Capcom trying to downplay it back then. Can't believe it still comes up so much. It was absolutely an issue for me in the Outer Worlds.

Amusingly, the recent SaGa Scarlet Grace has two UIs for you to choose from. The "Modern" one has this issue in spades, while the "Classic" one is much more readable. Unfortunately, the Classic UI is basically the mobile version's UI and has some other issues, like touchscreen buttons that you can't press on the console and buttons that aren't labeled with which controller button they correspond to. It's still more usable for me than the Modern option.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Perfect vision here. Playing on a 75" TV from 10-11 feet away. Nothing made me feel like my vision was going down the shitter than the Outer Worlds at launch. I got a headache within 15 minutes straining just to read it all.

Played about half an hour this last weekend. Subtitles have been fixed which worked wonders. Menu text was still small, but I wasn't straining my eyes nearly as much.

This shouldn't be an issue.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this being somewhat of a problem early in the 360's life when 720p and up was brand new on consoles and developers weren't quite used to it yet. You'd think the industry would know better today.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Witcher 3 had the same problem, they increased the text in a patch, but then released the standalone Gwent game with micro text size all over again.
I think the problem is they develop and test the games on desks with monitors or tvs pretty close to they noses, so the text sizes look ok, but anyone playing the game in a living room where you are more far from the TV, will have a hard time readind the text if its too small.

Text size options should be something that came by default in ALL games.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Bonus points for when the text isn't only small, but the developers also choose some dumb ass thin fonts in a shitty white/grey that mixes with the background.

Last edited:

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Agreed. Or at least make font size increase an option in the settings. Once I Can't read the damn instructions in your game the tutorials are useless.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
this has gotten real bad the last couple of years or so, I imagine it's due to the increase in 4k adoption, but it's gotten so bad that I just have to imagine every play tester is sitting at a desk with a computer monitor and it's a non issue that isn't even brought up.

BagelLemon

Nov 9, 2017
Xenoblade X for WiiU had small ass text and I have glasses... I just said screw that and never played it and never found it if an update happened for the small text.

There has been no update. This game is beyond amazing, but it has such glaring issues regarding audio track volume and text size that make it look like a rushed job.

i8xnGkG.jpg

CRM4sA8.gif

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is the worst I've ever seen at anything above 1080p. Legitimately unreadable on my TV from where I sit (which is not far). It's amazing how much more playable the game is when I set the HUD resolution to 1080p

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I'm a little baffled by the mocking responses... Speaking as someone with low vision, it's not a whim. It would be great to have configurable options so that everyone can pick what's comfortable for them. Nothing beats being able to make things more comfortable for you as much as possible. Just making things bigger isn't automatically bad, but only presents one option for accessibility at the end of the day.

Nov 11, 2017
I loved the era of the previous cross gen games where developers didn't adjust font size when jumping to HD. Classic.

giphy.gif

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I'm convinced everyone saying font sizes aren't a problem are playing on a tiny-ass monitor right in front of their faces.

I've given up reading game text on my 65" TV sitting about 12 feet away. Every movie has perfectly readable subtitles but for whatever damn reason developers still put paragraphs of tiny font for subtitles.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying The Witcher 3 after buying the expansions and I totally feel this. Shit's damn unreadable at times.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
With Game Streaming becoming a bigger deal I'm sure text enlargement options will be much more widely implemented. Playing Xbox Game Streaming alot on my phone recently and text size has been an issue. My phone is also 6.2" 19x9. So a bigger display than a Switch Lite.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of the tiny text posts itt aren't funny. You guys are laughing at an honest to good medical condition. There are people who, even with glasses, struggle to read.

Fully agree with op. However, It's actually pretty tough to retro fit scaling text of you don't plan for it from the very start, so devs should put in the leg work at the beginning. Text rendering is actually, surprisingly, still a complex thing.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I wholeheartedly agree with you, OP. Not everyone is sitting inches away from a monitor. Developers really need to keep in mind that video games are played on TVs where we sit at least 3 feet away and can't read the text.

I thought it would get better after it happened in the Xbox 360-era with Dead Rising and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts but the problem has gotten much bigger than it should have.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do some of you have a hidden quota for how many threads you have to make a week?

Anyhoo, I agree. I have pretty bad vision as it is, but luckily I don't run into this problem very often, but maybe I'm just not playing the same games. The Outer Worlds is probably the game I've had the biggest problem with recently.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
The best is when they add a "large text" option and it increases the size from "itty bitty" to "small".

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing to do is to allow options. Have a default, but if I want to make the text bigger and suffer it looking like a mobile game, let me do that. Please.

But with the way GUI elements are placed on the screen it tends to break things when text gets to be too big. To keep GUI elements nice and tight, a fixed text size is best. Maybe companies with a ton of people to do specific GUI engineering can do things like flexible sizing without breaking the look of the game, but for small guys like me, that's a lot of time that could be spent on other parts of the game.

I understand people want larger text on the screen, but making flexible windows that can accommodate bigger (or smaller) sizes of all text elements it kinda tough to do.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The only explanation is devs and testers play in chairs next to the screen so they simply don't notice. All these games have fonts that would be fine if I were playing at a desk, but are unreadable from the couch.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
None of the tiny text posts itt aren't funny. You guys are laughing at an honest to good medical condition. There are people who, even with glasses, struggle to read.
I think you got it backwards. They're not laughing at any medical condition, they're highlighting the issue because they're incredibly hard for anyone to read. The big text posts, on the other hand, are just a mockery of the request.

trineo_feo

Oct 27, 2017
The outer worlds is making me go blind. Not just because of the size, but the color too! And I had lasik like three months ago haha

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I would say that S l i d e r or global subtitle setting doesn't solve the problem when Dev put 3 lines together at once on subtitles.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing mostly on PC this year, but most recently had this issue with Death Stranding. I don't even sit that far back from my 55" 4K TV, but the text is barely readable at some points, super annoying. I skip reading the emails you get in-game due to this. But they're patching it this month, so there's that I guess.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
But with the way GUI elements are placed on the screen it tends to break things when text gets to be too big. To keep GUI elements nice and tight, a fixed text size is best. Maybe companies with a ton of people to do specific GUI engineering can do things like flexible sizing without breaking the look of the game, but for small guys like me, that's a lot of time that could be spent on other parts of the game.

I understand people want larger text on the screen, but making flexible windows that can accommodate bigger (or smaller) sizes of all text elements it kinda tough to do.
Yeah, but I think this comes down to what Krejlooc is saying, large text size is something that needs to be accounted for and planned around from the start of development. I guess in a situation like yours, you can only do the best within the confines of the GUI. Hopefully the largest text size you can allow is large enough.

I think you got it backwards. They're not laughing at any medical condition, they're highlighting the issue because they're incredibly hard for anyone to read. The big text posts, on the other hand, are just a mockery of the request.
My posts in this thread are like 26 font size, I'm not making fun of the request :(

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Perfect vision here. Playing on a 75" TV from 10-11 feet away. Nothing made me feel like my vision was going down the shitter than the Outer Worlds at launch. I got a headache within 15 minutes straining just to read it all.

Played about half an hour this last weekend. Subtitles have been fixed which worked wonders. Menu text was still small, but I wasn't straining my eyes nearly as much.

This shouldn't be an issue.

I play primarily on a similarly sized TV from about that far away, but haven't played TOW. I usually wear contacts/glasses, but it's crazy that the text was that small to begin with, even on a big screen which seems to mitigate the issue in most games.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually disgusting that this happens. I wish there was a website that highlighted text size. I would happily boycott games that can't be bothered to add text-size features.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty much majority of testing happens on computer monitors. QA folks are crammed into cubicles to test games. Devs are also using monitors. This is how text size usually goes unnoticed till release. I have a 55" tv that sits about 10 ft away from the couch. I have the hardest time reading text in some games.