• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How good is ebay at refunds if I end up with a repo gba cart and it wasn't listed as such? I'm afraid I can't tell from the pictures.
You'll likely get your money back and not need to even return the cart. Selling reproductions without clearly stating that they are such is a huge violation of eBay terms of service and in many cases copyright law.

I once naively bought what I thought was a good deal on Emerald and Fire Red, but they were reproductions. I contested and eBay refunded me without me needing to return the carts, and they shut down the seller too.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
You'll likely get your money back and not need to even return the cart. Selling reproductions without clearly stating that they are such is a huge violation of eBay terms of service and in many cases copyright law.

I once naively bought what I thought was a good deal on Emerald and Fire Red, but they were reproductions. I contested and eBay refunded me without me needing to return the carts, and they shut down the seller too.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll bite then.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same thing happen with a Dragon Ball Adventures fake cart. eBay pretty much immediately refunded my money and I'm still the proud owner of a fake DB cart that I've never even tried.

Orgodemir

Jan 15, 2018
So I was looking through my old Gameboy collection and started searching more information on values etc. And I came across this one....Tail Gator complete in box.

I would have never guessed this game was rare. I've been the only owner and had it since my childhood.

Interestingly according to Videogame Price Charts it doesnt seem like a complete version has been sold on Ebay since 2013 when three sold from between 150-200 dollars. Loose copies seem to pop up regularly and sell for around 30-40 dollars.

Just wondering if you guys could help me on some sort of value, am I sitting on a bit of a goldmine here?

Box corners have dings, but generally it is in really nice shape. Fired up the game on my color and it works perfectly.
8KFUV0C.jpg

PSpcZ

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys...

How good is Metal Gear on GBC? Like I know it's collectible, but worth ~$30-40 good?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
bought Breath of Fire 1 and 2 off ebay for $19.95. Here's hoping they are legit carts.

oh, also saw some NIB GBA games at my local Rite-Aid today. Would have bought them but they were:

Disney Enchanted
Disney The Little Mermaid
Disney Meet the Robinsons and
Pong/Asteroids/Yars Revenge

Each one is $9.99 and I have no interest in them at all. If anyone on here has any interest in them let me know and we can figure something out. I'm sure they will be there forever.

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
So I was looking through my old Gameboy collection and started searching more information on values etc. And I came across this one....Tail Gator complete in box.

I would have never guessed this game was rare. I've been the only owner and had it since my childhood.

Interestingly according to Videogame Price Charts it doesnt seem like a complete version has been sold on Ebay since 2013 when three sold from between 150-200 dollars. Loose copies seem to pop up regularly and sell for around 30-40 dollars.

Just wondering if you guys could help me on some sort of value, am I sitting on a bit of a goldmine here?

Box corners have dings, but generally it is in really nice shape. Fired up the game on my color and it works perfectly.
8KFUV0C.jpg

PSpcZ
Are you looking to sell? It's certainly a rare box and manual. Looks like it's missing the poster, so that lowers the value a bit. But it's definitely worth a fair amount of money.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Do we know how long the GBM batteries are supposed to last (in terms of playtime)? I'm afraid the batteries of my consoles are getting pretty old and can't hold the charge anymore...

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
So I was recently browsing r/Gameboy and I was shocked to see how much variety and customization is going on with GBAs. It's a renaissance ever since they started making the 101 screens although as far as I can tell one still has to shave down the inside of the cases to make the screens fit. Been thinking about getting fancy and mixing up my GBA to be more personalized...

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had a really happy accident today.... I have this officially licensed drawer for my N64 games that I was moving, but I wasn't paying attention and I dropped it, smashing it to pieces. Luckily it only broke along the seams and I can just re-glue it..... but as it smashed, out popped a copy of Metroid Fusion which I had thought was lost since 2006 (!!). I thought an old roommate had stolen it!

It's not like it's a copy of a rare game like Ninja Five-O, but it was just a happy surprise... I've been delaying re-buying it for years now and it was nice to have it land in my lap. Just as I've gotten really interested in the GBA catalog again (gonna get GB Interface + GC HDMI adapter asap!)

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I have no idea what happened to my copies of BoF I and II. I'm too afraid to buy games off of ebay anymore due to how rampant fakes are. Shit sucks :(

At least they're on VC, but the improvements to the pace on GBA are worth the other tradeoffs IMO.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have a question about classic Game Boy and their screens. I looked at some in my local retro stores and they all seem to have shifted screens, like there is more space on the left of the screen than on the right. Not the screen itself, but when a game is running you can see more space on the left than on the right. Is this a common thing? I never noticed thst back then, if.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I have a question about classic Game Boy and their screens. I looked at some in my local retro stores and they all seem to have shifted screens, like there is more space on the left of the screen than on the right. Not the screen itself, but when a game is running you can see more space on the left than on the right. Is this a common thing? I never noticed thst back then, if.
It sounds like dead pixels. It was common for OG Gameboys to develop rows of dead pixels. I think you can fix it but probably not worth the trouble.

Edit* Here is a link on how to fix the problem: http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-Lines-In-Your-Gameboy-Screen/

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Thanks!
In that link there is an image of the fixed screen and that's exactly what I mean. The picture is not centered and that's what I saw on multiple Game Boy's now. I guess that's normal then? :)

FXAO7RZHP7B1DYA.LARGE.jpg

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
rB9Y36F_d.jpg

Finally got an original game boy pocket with the original dmg color scheme. I've been wanting one of these for literally years. it's essentially in brand new condition, works perfectly. Also included a copy of pokemon yellow and links awakening! both in Japanese of course, but still neat additions to my collection.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, the prices for Drill Dozer skyrocketed. The single cart is selling for $35-40 right now and the Treasure games are climbing, too.

Started playing it (DD) yesterday. Great game so far. More people need to play it.

Last edited:

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord, the prices for Drill Dozer skyrocketed. The single cart is selling for $35-40 right now and the Treasure games are climbing, too.

Started playing it (DD) yesterday. Great game so far. More people need to play it.

I took a gamble on a cheap listing of Drill Dozer recently that turned out to be legit, pretty happy as it never released in the UK. Interesting wee game, and can definitely hear the Pokemon R/S soundset at times! Not sure if the rumble annoys other people on public transport though ha ha.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok fellas, I need some advice or help.

My copy of Donkey Kong won't save anymore. It'll allow me to quit and save but the main screen looks as if I never saved it.

I don't really have the time or patience to take up soldering... but it looks like the battery can just be popped out and taped into place pretty easily. Has anyone done this or tried replacing batteries without soldering? Any advice?

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok fellas, I need some advice or help.

My copy of Donkey Kong won't save anymore. It'll allow me to quit and save but the main screen looks as if I never saved it.

I don't really have the time or patience to take up soldering... but it looks like the battery can just be popped out and taped into place pretty easily. Has anyone done this or tried replacing batteries without soldering? Any advice?
It's honestly more of a hassle to not solder than it is. You can get batteries with the solder tabs already attached and if you just tape it any loss of power will cost you your save immediately.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly more of a hassle to not solder than it is. You can get batteries with the solder tabs already attached and if you just tape it any loss of power will cost you your save immediately.

Thanks... I found a local shop that will solder a new battery in for $15, May go that route depending on what the eBay seller says. It was listed as like-new so I'm hoping they will work with me.

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks... I found a local shop that will solder a new battery in for $15, May go that route depending on what the eBay seller says. It was listed as like-new so I'm hoping they will work with me.

this is like a minute of work max. basic soldering like this is not hard, though I guess if you don't have a soldering iron already it could be difficult to justify the cost of the hardware. It can come in handy though.

Last edited:

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Definitely go with soldering, although $15 sounds like quite a ripoff for a minute or two of work and even the cost of battery added. If you suspect to need to replace more batteries down the line, just invest in a simple soldering iron. It's a really easy process as shown in the video above.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Gamestop is doing a buy 4 for $20 deal for pre-owned games $9.99 or less. There are some pretty good Gameboy/Color/Advance games that fall in that category.

I just got 8 games for $40 dollars. Not to bad a deal really.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Ok, in the video, what is it when he says to "tin" the joints? I literally know nothing about soldering so any help is welcome and appreciated.
It's like prepping the tips so to speak. He just puts a little solder on each side to "prep" it for the final solder. At least that's what I've always thought it was.

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah "tinning" is just pre-applying some solder to the parts before you melt it all together with the iron. It's also important that you do not try to solder directly on the battery, get the batteries with the tabs already on them.

All the soldering I've done has been with a really cheap, less than 20 dollar radioshack iron. You don't have to spend a lot, but my iron is objectively a piece of shit

Last edited:

Cloggerdude

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop is doing a buy 4 for $20 deal for pre-owned games $9.99 or less. There are some pretty good Gameboy/Color/Advance games that fall in that category.

I just got 8 games for $40 dollars. Not to bad a deal really.

Came to post the same thing. I wish I had seen it yesterday, since I would assume there were probably better games available then.

Your Elite/Pro discount will stack on this too, btw. I have Elite (20% off), so I got 12 games for $36 + tax. Basically $3 a game.

Cloggerdude

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I picked up something kind of cool from a member in the BST thread. A dev cart containing Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

VNONRYSl.jpg

A little pricey, but it's one of my favorite games for the Advance, so I'm excited to have it. It was a review copy, so there doesn't appear to be anything different about it, but it's still neat to have.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I picked up something kind of cool from a member in the BST thread. A dev cart containing Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

VNONRYSl.jpg

A little pricey, but it's one of my favorite games for the Advance, so I'm excited to have it. It was a review copy, so there doesn't appear to be anything different about it, but it's still neat to have.

That's awesome, I love dev and demo cards. Got one or two on Advance and a bunch on DS/3DS, though no proper dev carts like the one you have there.

Cloggerdude

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered 12 more GBA games, for a total of 24. I figured there's probably not going to be a better time to expand my GBA cart collection than right now. $3.28 per game after taxes. Can't really beat that.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the deal isn't working for me either. It is still on their pre-owned deals page, but doesn't apply to cart.

Crowboy

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered some games from GameStop last night and deal was still going on. Got Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Mario Golf: Advance Tour, Sonic Advance and Legacy of Goku 2. Ended up getting a copy of Pokemon Silver too for $14. I also tried again right now and it was not working.

Has anybody ordered retro games from them before? Are the cartridges and labels usually in decent condition?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I ordered some games from GameStop last night and deal was still going on. Got Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Mario Golf: Advance Tour, Sonic Advance and Legacy of Goku 2. Ended up getting a copy of Pokemon Silver too for $14. I also tried again right now and it was not working.

Has anybody ordered retro games from them before? Are the cartridges and labels usually in decent condition?
I haven't. I was wondering myself before and almost didn't buy anything but...the deal was too good. As long as they're not repos and still work I'm okay with whatever I get. If they're in good shape then it's a welcome bonus.

Brite_Boy

Dec 7, 2017
Los Angeles
Deal is supposed to last til next month, maybe it went offline for a bit, kinda weird!

I've never ordered from them but for cartridges I've just heard it's kinda a gamble for popular (pokemon) GB games as far as bootlegs and whatnot

Crowboy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't. I was wondering myself before and almost didn't buy anything but...the deal was too good. As long as they're not repos and still work I'm okay with whatever I get. If they're in good shape then it's a welcome bonus.
Yeah, for $5 a game, I don't really care what the condition is as long as they work. How do you guys store your games? I got mine out of a box in my closet last month when I got a backlit GBA and I've been keeping them in Ziploc bag. I don't want to have a bag lying around with my games in there and was looking for a better solution.