• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
This is why I hope Georgians vote in person for the senate. They're gonna try the same trying again trying to get mail in ballots thrown out and if the senate is on the line who knows what lengths they'll go to.
Bestie and I voted absentee in the election, due to certain health issues making it a risk for her to stand in line to vote. For the runoffs, however, she's absolutely insisting on voting in person, for exactly this reason.

I myself am very torn. On the one hand, I too feel very strongly that we need to do all that's necessary to ensure that our votes are counted. But I'm worried about how standing in a potentially long voting line may impact her health. (She's had spinal fusion surgery, and therefore cannot stand for very long in one place without experiencing pain. Additionally, she also has scarred lungs from decades of diving, and is therefore at significantly higher risk of dying should she catch the virus.)

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
America needs republicans like this guy right now. Stand up to the pressure and call out the offenders.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that predominantly black areas are where this happens most?

More like higher population centers in general... which is where most of the democratic base is at.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that predominantly black areas are where this happens most?
Damn skippy. I swear I saw a stat just the other day--the source evades me atm--that ballots from African Americans are twice as likely to be thrown out for "signature mismatch" as white voters. (Also, ballots from voters under the age of 25 are five times as likely to be tossed for the same "reason".)

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Are there any repercussions for anything these fucks do, or does that only apply to black and brown people in this country?

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Graham doesn´t represent Georgia. Tell him to mind his own fucking business. What a scumbag!

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017

Former federal prosecutor chimes in

Oh Lindsey....you know you done fucked up right?

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is totally getting primaried in 2022 for doing the right thing.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Lindsay Graham doesn't even represent Georgia what the fuck.
Lindsay doesn't want to have to give up power.

He also is under the impression he can do whatever he wants because he believes he'll be protected from federal prosecution. I mean it feels fairly shady and illegal, i imagine if it is there's a chance he gets a call from someone.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Lord I wish we could have gotten enough votes to remove his ass this time around. Hopefully we can do here in SC what they were able to do in GA next time around.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Bestie and I voted absentee in the election, due to certain health issues making it a risk for her to stand in line to vote. For the runoffs, however, she's absolutely insisting on voting in person, for exactly this reason.

I myself am very torn. On the one hand, I too feel very strongly that we need to do all that's necessary to ensure that our votes are counted. But I'm worried about how standing in a potentially long voting line may impact her health. (She's had spinal fusion surgery, and therefore cannot stand for very long in one place without experiencing pain. Additionally, she also has scarred lungs from decades of diving, and is therefore at significantly higher risk of dying should she catch the virus.)
Based on what this SoS has done so far, I'd say voting by absentee this time around is fine as well. He might be a Republican but he's apparently a competent election official as well. Unlike his predecessor, who's our Governor :/

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Repubs doing what they do in making our elections as banana republic as possible. A running theme.

I really hope there are some consequences for this. Drag all involved in front of a congressional meeting and just start digging at the root.

And for fucks sakes, don't give Lindsay Graham another fucking hug nor praise his traitorous ass, lmao. Just the small things I'm asking for.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, this is just pure insanity.

And you know something else?

It's even more reason I never want to hear the words "cancel culture" ever again.

Because here you have the Republican-party-apparatus legit trying to "cancel" one of their own simply because he's not willing to commit fraud and subvert democracy itself.

Anyone who EVER accuses "the left" or Democrats of "cancel culture" just needs to be linked nonsense like this.

Because, yeah, it's not a real "thing" to begin with.

But insofar as it is, how would something like THIS, Republicans gunning for the job of the REPUBLICAN Secretary of State of Georgia, simply because he himself won't cheat hard enough for them?

On top of the natural insanity of all this, I also wish I could never hear those two words ever again. But alas....

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Lindsey has basically taken on the role of Mob enforcer.

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Raffensperger for standing his ground, literally one of the only Republicans in the US actually doing it right now.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Remember when Lindsey Graham solicited for campaign funds within a federal building, something he's explicitly not supposed to do as a fucking Senator

Remember how nothing came of it and he got off scot free

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Remember when Lindsey Graham solicited for campaign funds within a federal building, something he's explicitly not supposed to do as a fucking Senator

Remember how nothing came of it and he got off scot free

Uhm, how dare you? He performed his duties expertly, they were some of the best hearings of all time (of all time), and it was Lindsay's leadership that brought legitimacy back to the senate

As Republicans wrap up the Amy Coney Barrett hearing with plans to vote, Dianne Feinstein praises Lindsey Graham: "I just want to thank you. This has been one of the best set of hearings that I've participated in," she tells him. "Thank you so much for your leadership."

A mask-free embrace between Feinstein and Graham to cap things off. And the Amy Coney Barrett hearings are over.

One of the rare times too where bipartisanship and comraderies are out in public display during these contentious and divisive times. Thank you Lindsay.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you impeach a Senator? This is an impeachable offense.

Practically? No, the Senate would never stand for it -- they have their own expulsion process. Legally? It has been tried -- the very first impeachment was of William Blount, a former Senator. The Senate acquitted him but there were a number of factors and so the answer is unclear (and since they dropped it, the question has never been adjudicated in court). In addition to the question of whether you can even impeach a Senator, he had also already been expelled and they failed to compel his appearance for the impeachment trial (despite sending the sergeant at arms)

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it would've been both more strategic AND honest to paint this party AS A WHOLE as corrupt racists with a hard on for fucking over poor people and democracy instead of going with the "Trump is an outlier! We will reach across the aisle and restore normalcy! Some of my best friends are republicans!" shit.

May 26, 2018
Seems like it would've been both more strategic AND honest to paint this party AS A WHOLE as corrupt racists with a hard on for fucking over poor people and democracy instead of going with the "Trump is an outlier! We will reach across the aisle and restore normalcy! Some of my best friends are republicans!" shit.

And then all it would take is one Republican pretending to be magnanimous and offended for, some-fucking-how, the entire narrative to switch to that. Their control over the national story is absurd.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
So are they actually going to do something about it? Or are the other people in power just going to do the whole "sorry I didn't see that" or "no comment" and let it blow over?

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
This just means our protections are crap. Should be laws against these kind of suggestions.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
how does that work? Can this be spearheaded by the House or does it have to come from the Senate?

It would be entirely driven by the Senate. The Constitution gives the Senate and House the power to set their own respective rules for conduct and to expel a member of their own chamber with a supermajority (2/3) vote.

Expulsion is, as you might expect, exceedingly rare. Censure is the far more common form of discipline.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I bet the SOS gets primaries out. Then next election, a Trumper SOS will just toss any ballots they feel like.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Good on Raffensperger for standing his ground, literally one of the only Republicans in the US actually doing it right now.
As someone who knocked on doors to get the Dem elected for his run off back in 2018. This guy actually having being on the up and up is surprising. I didn't trust any republican after Brian Kemp pulled some bullshit to get elected Governor.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Graham won his race by ten points when every singly poll was neck and neck. Did he do this in SC?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that this is only getting out because someone had the audacity to do the right thing, is scary. How are you trying to meet In The middle with these people.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
This should be illegal. Our systems of checks and balances are just crap.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
There's a split in the R party that goes way back and runs real deep and isn't along idealogical lines, but rather professional ones and two groups of Republicans who fucking HATE each other. Kemp and Raffensperger are on one side, whereas Doug Collins and Nathan Deal/Casey Cagle are on the other.

Also, Kemp knows that no matter what Ga does, Biden still wins so he's way more concerned with both senate runoffs now.

Darvan

Oct 27, 2017
Nevada
Why won't someone actually report this and have them get in some trouble. I realize they won't be removed but damn can you imagine if a Dem senator did this come on there has to be someone on the Dem side to take notice of this and make a big deal out of this ...

bigmit37

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

He's standing his ground, but what about all the others that aren't standing their ground.
We are only hearing about this, but what aren't we hearing.
Lots of ballots get tossed out, I wonder if red areas are able to toss ballots from democratic counties more loosely.
As long democratic voters continue to vote by mail, this is going to be a problem.

GOP turned their backs on Trump cause he's a loose canon, but imagine they get someone with Trump's appeal and
and that is smart and willing to work with GOP. GOP will bend the law more aggressively for them, as there will be no repercussions.

I don't see GOP losing the senate this January. The don't care about democracy, they care about power.
I can't see GOP losing senate as long as they major players are running the show. They know how to game the system,
and are too powerful.

Darvan

Oct 27, 2017
Nevada
Maybe it's Jaime Harrison that should ask for an investigation cause yeah sounds like he Lindsay would have any issue cheating to win etc.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
He's standing his ground, but what about all the others that aren't standing their ground.
We are only hearing about this, but what aren't we hearing.
Lots of ballots get tossed out, I wonder if red areas are able to toss ballots from democratic counties more loosely.
As long democratic voters continue to vote by mail, this is going to be a problem.

GOP turned their backs on Trump cause he's a loose canon, but imagine they get someone with Trump's appeal and
and that is smart and willing to work with GOP. GOP will bend the law more aggressively for them, as there will be no repercussions.

I don't see GOP losing the senate this January. The don't care about democracy, they care about power.
I can't see GOP losing senate as long as they major players are running the show. They know how to game the system,
and are too powerful.
Have a source for this?