• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
At least based on the recent Demo's/Trailer

Sorry for the excessive title but a lot of people don't read past it and wanted to make it as clear cut as possible I didn't see any threads about this specifically just some generic news threads. People who have been following it closely may just pop in here and say "well duh" or something along those lines but based on the recent discussion even among game journalists I seemed to not be alone in thinking Scramble/Strikers was just a fun spinoff in the style of Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warriors.

AAAANyway I've been watching coverage of it recently and the same thing keeps coming up "Persona 5 S is basically Persona 5 2"

GameXplain mentions it and even goes beyond and actually compares areas between P5 and P5S showing off the day sequences.

In terms of story the game picks up shortly after the ending events of 5. The day sequences are confirmed from the demo which has you wondering around hub areas talking with friends, buying items from shops and possibly social links?. The Velvet room is in with Lavenza. Joker even literally throws a calling card with "volume 2" on it at the screen in the most recent trailer

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's great, hopefully it'll be as meaty.

When is this expected to hit the west?

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i got this same vibe from playing the demo. seems like musou replaces the dungeons but the social stuff looks like pure persona.

I'm not a musou guy myself, but i'm probably still getting this day 1

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Just finished the demo and it convinced me that I'll be getting the game on release.

I don't like musou games, but this honestly doesn't feel like a musou game at all.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Right at the end of P5 vanilla atm and can't wait for more. This is my second most wanted game of the year after FF7R, the fact it's on switch makes it all the sweeter :)

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The story in the spin off Persona games is almost always dreadful. I'm assuming the same for this until I hear otherwise.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
It doesn't have social links tho, so it can't really be "true Persona but without turn based combat" for me.
That's my biggest disappointement with this game. Hanging around in those zones is super cool, but it doesn't have what I prefer in Persona games. Having to manage your calendar, chosing what to do each day (Do I hang with this person ? Do I up this social stat ? Do we go to a dungeon ?)

I think people sell it a bit too much on the "it's basically really Persona but without turn based combat" argument, I would argue it's not the case.

But it still looks super fun, and it's cool to go back to Persona 5 cast and world.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah beat the demo the other day. It felt like a P5 ARPG than a musou game. Probably because it had the main gameplay loop of the days, story , dungeon and combat that meshed very well together. Also really like the menu screens being more 3D art transitions than 2D like the original P5 game.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Well that makes me super interested when they localise it then. Especially if the story carries on.

Wonder if it will transfer over any completion data from the base game/Royal. Especially any romance social links.

Oct 29, 2017
To what extent does it actually have the day to day Persona gameplay though? I swear I hadn't actually seen any social links or anything.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my expectations have been blown out of frigging water. This is definitely not just a Persona Warrior game AT ALL.

I'm actually more excited for this than Royal.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
To what extent does it actually have the day to day Persona gameplay though? I swear I hadn't actually seen any social links or anything.

Demo has you wandering around several hub areas from 5 with several interactable areas marked on the map you can also talk to people, make choices in conversations, and there is calendar transitions so all of that is confirmed. The trailer shows off several potential stuff but doesn't explicitly confirm it.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda weird that this is releasing on Switch when the original game wasn't?

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I am very very excited for this.
I hope the localization doesn't take too long.
I also hope the story is as good as P5.
They are putting a lot of emphasis on the story in all these trailers, so fingers crossed there.
I don't think there will be social links though.

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo, seemed okay.

I do wonder how meaty the story is going to be or if nothing important will happen, I will say that I was impressed but I need to see more.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
I saw only one article mention dating as it refers to Strikers and it said there wouldn't be any, atleast not transfering over from the first game.

Nobody hasn't heard anything different about dating have they? If social links are in that will be atleast a decent substitute.

I did see that bit where at the end of the trailer they tease this being a sequel to P5 more than anything. I sure hope it feels like that, tho don't know how I'll feel about the new combat. But I was skeptical of the turn based in the original and ended up enjoying it

Oct 29, 2017
Demo has you wandering around several hub areas from 5 with several interactable areas marked on the map you can also talk to people, make choices in conversations, and there is calendar transitions so all of that is confirmed. The trailer shows off several potential stuff but doesn't explicitly confirm it.
I mean that's all good enough for me, this game has well exceeded any expectations when it was announced but I'm trying to not get too enthusiastic about it being Persona precisely but with new gameplay for dungeons.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Going by a rough google translation of a very short clip in the trailer I'm going to tentatively say that social links are in? Makoto and Ren seem to be on a date. If someone can read Japanese they could obviously provide a better transcript than me on this.
r57u2U9.png

これって、デートってことでいいのかな?
Is this a good date?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Well, maybe then they can release the prequel on switch so i can give two shits about the characters.

Oct 25, 2017
Going by a rough google translation of a very short clip in the trailer I'm going to tentatively say that social links are in? Makoto and Ren seem to be on a date. If someone can read Japanese they could obviously provide a better transcript than me on this.
r57u2U9.png

これって、デートってことでいいのかな?
Is this a good date?

Datamined elements suggest there's some sort of confidant rank up system. Not guaranteed of course, could be left over from an earlier build.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Datamined elements suggest there's some sort of confidant rank up system. Not guaranteed of course, could be left over from an earlier build.

Woo so yea I'm pretty confident in it now this really is just Persona 5 2 with different dungeons

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
r57u2U9.png

これって、デートってことでいいのかな?
Is this a good date?
Direct translation:
"This...is is okay to call it a date?"

Oct 25, 2017
Woo so yea I'm pretty confident in it now this really is just Persona 5 2 with different dungeons

I doubt the daily life aspect will be as flashed out as Persona 5. There's no indication of non-party member hangouts, no social stats, and just from the demo, Shibuya is much smaller. Also a much shorter calendar, being over just a few months, individual days will probably be longer, but not sure it will have much of a time management system.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I thought we knew this already? It's basically P5-2 but an ARPG.
So far the only thing we know is "it's an ARPG in which you can hang in classic Persona 5 hub zones"
So far, no social links confirmed, no calendar management, no social stats, no mini games. It's yet to be seen if it's really a Persona 5-2 in term of "social gameplay"
So far it's just classic Persona exploration of the town. Which is cool for a musou, sure, but people jumped too quickly on the "it truly is Persona 5-2".

That's interesting tho, it makes me a bit more hyped for it, but I still have fear that it'll just be a lite version of it. I feel like it'll be as ambiguous as possible, that you won't be able to truly date someone, it would be weird to start over a relationship with one of the girls when the game actually is a sequel.

Edit : well there you go. It really seems to just be a super lite Persona experience.

Oct 25, 2017
r57u2U9.png

これって、デートってことでいいのかな?
Is this a good date?

I think the localised equivalent would be something like:
"Does this... count as a date?"