How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Considering how bad the shipments problems are with the Switch as its approaching its 6th year, I'm not expecting a full next-gen system for awhile. If Dane is already deep in development, I wonder how this will affect the final product.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Considering how bad the shipments problems are with the Switch as its approaching its 6th year, I'm not expecting a full next-gen system for awhile. If Dane is already deep in development, I wonder how this will affect the final product.

Uhm, if the new system is delayed, I really hope they up the specs when they finally release. Otherwise we'll get even more dated hardware than we're used to from Nintendo

Oct 26, 2017
They will supply a lot more this year than they did in the year before COVID.
COVID has affected every aspect of shipping but what is inside the box isn't going change that.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
So greymon55 mentioned there's not much difference between the Lovelace architecture and the Ampere architecture.

kopite7kimi also mentioned that the Lovelace architecture is roughly similar to the Ampere architecture more than half a year ago.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
So greymon55 mentioned there's not much difference between the Lovelace architecture and the Ampere architecture.

kopite7kimi also mentioned that the Lovelace architecture is roughly similar to the Ampere architecture more than half a year ago.

Feels like a Maxwell to Pascal upgrade and the x1 was a near Pascal maxwell design.

I wonder if Dane will in similarly

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Feels like a Maxwell to Pascal upgrade and the x1 was a near Pascal maxwell design.

I wonder if Dane will in similarly
I imagine like with Orin, Dane will use the Ampere architecture as the base, but add features from the Lovelace architecture. Similar to how the Tegra X1 (and probably the Tegra X2) use the Maxwell architecture as the base, but added features from the Pascal architecture.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
So Nintendo has officially released the English translation of the Q&A for the financial results for the fiscal year ending on March 2022.

Q4:
Could you please explain the annual playing users metric in more detail? How does it compare to when you sold 100 million units of the Wii system? Do you see any connection between this metric and software sales trends? Also, what kinds of business decisions make use of this number of annual playing users? If the number of players remains at high levels or even increases, could it lead to a decision to postpone the launch of the next-generation game system?

A4:
Furukawa:
The annual playing users metric counts the number of users, out of all the Nintendo Accounts registered to Nintendo Switch systems, who started up at least one Nintendo Switch game during a given 12-month period. Our consumer base is highly diverse, and consumers vary greatly in how frequently they play games and how many games they purchase. So, looking at the number of playing users over 12 months, which is a long period of time, serves as a metric that helps to better understand our business.

We base our day-to-day business decisions on a variety of indicators including the number of annual playing users, according to the circumstances of the moment.

As for comparisons with the Wii system, Wii and Nintendo Switch have very different feature sets, and the software lineup and the way titles are played on them are also different. Moreover, the game industry and the environment surrounding our company have changed significantly since the time of the Wii launch in 2006. Nintendo Switch has reached the same level of cumulative sales of 100 million units, but we do not make simple comparisons with Wii.

The fact that so many consumers are playing Nintendo Switch creates a greater opportunity for people to pick up new titles when they are released in the future. With Nintendo Switch's user engagement rising to record levels toward the end of last year, we believe the platform is heading into its sixth year with strong momentum.

There are currently nearly 100 million annual playing users, and going forward, it is important to consider how we can maintain and expand on that number. This will also be essential when we consider our plan for the next hardware platform.

Q5:
This is about initiatives related to the metaverse and to NFTs. In one respect, you could say you have already taken the initiative with Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but the metaverse has such large potential, so I'd like to know your views to the extent you can share at this time.

A5:
Furukawa:
The metaverse has captured the attention of many companies around the world, and it has great potential. When the concept of the metaverse is introduced in the media, games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons are sometimes brought up as examples. In that sense, the metaverse is of interest to us.

But at this point in time, there is no easy way to define specifically what kinds of surprises and enjoyment the metaverse can deliver to our consumers. As a company that provides entertainment, our main emphasis is on ways to deliver fresh surprises and fun to our consumers. We might consider something if we can find a way to convey a "Nintendo approach" to the metaverse that many people can readily understand, but we do not think that is the situation at the present time.

Q7:
I have a question about hardware manufacturing costs. It appears that costs are rising slightly due to the current semiconductor shortage, but what degree of impact does that have on gross profit? Also, going forward, will you increase production volume to secure the required volume of hardware even if costs rise, or do you decide production volume while taking costs into account to a certain degree?

A7:
Furukawa:
Nintendo Switch was launched several years ago, and we have continued to work to reduce costs, but the recent component shortages are leading to increased costs. And even though the rise is gradual, it has been impacting our gross profit. Looking at the full year, we anticipate that impact to be minor this fiscal year, but if costs continue at current levels through next fiscal year as well, then we would expect hardware profitability to decrease correspondingly compared to this fiscal year. In addition, as has already been mentioned, Nintendo Switch – OLED Model has a lower profit margin than Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite. Unless the situation changes dramatically, we do not foresee profitability improving next fiscal year and beyond. That said, these cost increases do not affect our production plans, and we will continue to produce the volume required to meet demand.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Got a feeling we're not seeing a more powerful Switch until like 2024 now. Just have the feeling that 2022 and 2023 will be stacked and Nintendo will be looking to sell a ton of software to that install base.

It does beg the question if the 'Dane' chip will even be used if we're still over 2 years from launch. By then Nintendo might want something better and audience expectations in terms of power might be different as well.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
I know this thread isn't exactly used a lot anymore since it switched sites but I thought this was pretty interesting nonetheless (I also don't feel like making another account).

It seems like Nintendo Switch Sports might be the first Switch game to support AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution. Maybe future first-party Switch games will start to use it more (hopefully XC3?).
Life Is Strange True Colors used FSR on Switch first actually.

But Nintendo Switch Sports is the first Nintendo First Party title to use it (Seemingly, will have to wait on Digital Foundry to confirm)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Here's some interesting tidbits from the Q&A session for Nvidia's Q4 2021 earnings report courtesy of TheStreet.
6:06 PM ET: A question about the big Q/Q increase seen in inventory purchase and supply obligations.

Huang: We expanded our supply chain footprint a lot this (fiscal) year. This was partly in preparation for some exciting product launches. Orin is going to be a very large business for us going forward. This year will feature some major product launches.

6:04 PM ET: A question about Nvidia's plans for Grace.

Huang: We have multiple Arm projects going on, including connected devices and robotics processors. Orin sales will inflect this year. Grace will be succeeded by follow-on Arm CPUs. Hyperscalers are embracing Arm CPUs. Grace "is just the first example" for us. Our focus is on enabling accelerated computing.

FLwlPpVVQAEfvRh

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Forgive me if I missed this in the past, but what should be realistically expect from a Switch with this chip?

With the architecture suggested in the leak?

Basically Ps4 pro power docked…before DLSS is even utilized. At its theoretical max.

Depending on what type of RT cores they use and how many, conceivably better ray tracing than either the Series S or ps5

How Nintendo plays with clocks and power in portable and docked mode and how they utilize DLSS is what we don't know.

But it's safe to say now to expect ~ps4 pro type / performance graphics IQ when docked + better effects like ray tracing and HDR

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
With the architecture suggested in the leak?

Basically Ps4 pro power docked…before DLSS is even utilized. At its theoretical max.

Depending on what type of RT cores they use and how many, conceivably better ray tracing than either the Series S or ps5

How Nintendo plays with clocks and power in portable and docked mode and how they utilize DLSS is what we don't know.

But it's safe to say now to expect ~ps4 pro type / performance graphics IQ when docked + better effects like ray tracing and HDR

From this I take it that Switch 2 vs PS5/XS would be an even better situation than Nintendo has with Switch vs PS4/X1 in terms of what titles would be possible to receive ports.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
From this I take it that Switch 2 vs PS5/XS would be an even better situation than Nintendo has with Switch vs PS4/X1 in terms of what titles would be possible to receive ports.

Well, it's a mid gen upgrade, not a successor.

Also, power has nothing to do with what kind of 3rd party support a Nintendo console does/doesn't get. The decision to port (or not) is based on how much publishers want to gamble in spending time/resources in making a port of their game for a userbase where it most likely wouldn't sell well enough to bother.

Even if the 2017 Switch launched with exactly the Xbox one power, you would have seen basically the same effort in 3rd party support. If gamers prefer to play COD and FIFA on their pc/Xbox/ps…no amount of Nintendo power is going to affect that reality.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

Also, power has nothing to do with what kind of 3rd party support a Nintendo console does/doesn't get. The decision to port (or not) is based on how much publishers want to gamble in spending time/resources in making a port of their game for a userbase where it most likely wouldn't sell well enough to bother.

Even if the 2017 Switch launched with exactly the Xbox one power, you would have seen basically the same effort in 3rd party support. If gamers prefer to play COD and FIFA on their pc/Xbox/ps…no amount of Nintendo power is going to affect that reality.
That's partially true, because
1. Stronger hardware means less effort and less compromises to do a decent port
2. People are more likely to buy a port that's not much worse than the other versions

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
That's partially true, because
1. Stronger hardware means less effort and less compromises to do a decent port
2. People are more likely to buy a port that's not much worse than the other versions

1. Still, effort is effort. Publishers have been burned too many times trying to bring major multiplats to Nintendo machines and suffering little return for the effort. While you get rare occasions of, say, porting Witcher 3 to Nintendo (a good example how low power and supposed compromises isn't what prevents Switch porting) you have most major publishers dismissing the thought, or when they do attempt, it's a low effort port because they already know it's not worth too much investment.

The Wii U was slightly more powerful than the ps360. It technically should have gotten every multiplat from 2012-2015. (They we're mostly all cross gen). It didn't. It missed around 90% of them I believe.

2. The only X factor the Switch has over past Nintendo consoles is the allure of portability. You are right…the main market for major 3rd party multiplat gaming specifically have bought pc's and Xboxes and PlayStations specifically for that.

Which is why Nintendo consoles are historically the worst market for ports of major multiplats. Nintendo is primarily a 1st party gaming machine.

The draw of playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on a 7" screen with reduced graphics and performance isn't as appealing as enthusiasts here think it is. The number of people buying a Steam Deck to play major 3rd party multiplats on the go isn't as big as one would think reading this forum.

People, in general, choose to play major 3rd party multiplats everywhere else other than Nintendo machines. And publishers who have to make decisions in which platforms to support or not, know this.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

We have no idea of that. No credible leak says that. This is just a supposition.

This is mostly a self fulfilling prophecies. And many third parties have gone on record on that their switch games were successful.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

How do we know Nintendo considers it a midgen refresh (honest question)?

Of course most/all titles could have received Switch ports. I'm not disagreeing that a more powerful Switch would have garnered more 3rd Party Support as it wouldn't have changed anything.

Some developers aren't willing to put in the effort required to get titles running at an acceptable level. The smaller the gap and easier it is to port removes another barrier while also ensuring it's a quality port.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thx.

Where do we think the CPU will shake out in relation to the XSS?
worse, but not by much in per-core performance. largely due to clock speeds

here's the PS5 cpu (I know it's not the Series S, but this we can bench)

Default string Default string - Geekbench Browser

Benchmark results for a Default string Default string with an AMD 4700S Desktop Kit processor.

and here's an A78
csm_mt_bot_78a5614196.jpg

www.notebookcheck.net

Unreleased MediaTek MT6893 zeroes in on the Snapdragon 865 in Geekbench 5 score

Rising Taiwanese semiconductor maker MediaTek looks like it wants a bigger slice of the high-end mobile devices segment. The company’s recent Dimensity 1000 series signalled its intentions and now the purported appearance of a new MT6893 SoC on Geekbench 5 suggests it is closing in on Qualcomm’s...

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
we don't. it's all a matter of how they want to advertise it, now what specs the device has

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure if anything leaked that pointed to how Nintendo viewed it. If there are exclusive titles it would seem to me that it's a next gen system with backwards compatibility more than a midgen refresh. I know the n3DS had some exclusives, but they were few and far between and overall it didn't feel like a next generation jump.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure if anything leaked that pointed to how Nintendo viewed it. If there are exclusive titles it would seem to me that it's a next gen system with backwards compatibility more than a midgen refresh. I know the n3DS had some exclusives, but they were few and far between and overall it didn't feel like a next generation jump.
according to NateDrake, there are exclusives. and probably more down the line thanks to the Series S. I think Nintendo is just picking up what Nvidia is putting out and will sort out the advertising later.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
1GHz to 1.2GHz is my guess. the A78 is already like 3x the A57, so having 7 for games on 8nm isn't gonna break the power budget I think.
Nice, that sounds great. I'm still so impressed at what was achieved on effectively 3 Nexus 6P cores clocked at 1ghz; 7 cores sounds like a major leap

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
We have no idea of that. No credible leak says that. This is just a supposition.

We do know devkits went out in 2020. We do know this Nvidia leak shows drivers showing this development is quite far along. We do know that multiple studios are making games geared toward this new model for 2022/2023 releases. We do know that as of last month, Nintendo is still calling Switch at the midpoint of its lifecycle, that they see actual growth this FY rather than the usual decline of a console in its sixth year, and that the Switch will have an unconventionally long lifecycle.

Saying Nintendo is going to treat this 2022 4K Switch as a successor has no basis in reality, imo. Nothing suggests this is a model 2-3 years away. Nothing suggests Nintendo is ready to tell people to move on from the current models to this new thing.

This is mostly a self fulfilling prophecies. And many third parties have gone on record on that their switch games were successful.

It may be self fulfilling for a lot. But it doesn't matter, I'm just saying the idea from publishers that the ports of their big multiplat games won't do well enough on Nintendo machines to bother with the effort…is an actual pervasive thing.

And a big publisher claiming "success" publicly for an odd Nintendo effort doesn't tell me anything tbh. Unless they tout actual sales numbers showing "success". Which is what most publishers do when they are proud of actual success

Oct 25, 2017
worse, but not by much in per-core performance. largely due to clock speeds

here's the PS5 cpu (I know it's not the Series S, but this we can bench)

Default string Default string - Geekbench Browser

Benchmark results for a Default string Default string with an AMD 4700S Desktop Kit processor.

and here's an A78
csm_mt_bot_78a5614196.jpg

www.notebookcheck.net

Unreleased MediaTek MT6893 zeroes in on the Snapdragon 865 in Geekbench 5 score

Rising Taiwanese semiconductor maker MediaTek looks like it wants a bigger slice of the high-end mobile devices segment. The company’s recent Dimensity 1000 series signalled its intentions and now the purported appearance of a new MT6893 SoC on Geekbench 5 suggests it is closing in on Qualcomm’s...

Thank you!

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Yup we are entering the sixth year now. It's more likely we are getting a successor than an upgrade.

That would be "more likely" if….

Nintendo didn't just say they see future growth for the switch, that they see growth for its 6th year where consoles usually see decline. Didn't just say they except the Switch to exceed what we expect from a conventional console lifecycle.

They are talking all the time and it's ALL about growth and lifespan lengthening. None of it is about "looking forward or beyond" which is what you usually get 3-5 years in a console.

Nothing about their words or behavior suggests anything other than buckling in for long lasting ecosystem full of a family of iterative Switch devices.

Heck, people see Mario Kart 8 DLC as proof that a successor is coming out in 2024/2025. I say it's proof that Nintendo expects to keep this current ecosystem going for another ~4 years or so. Mario Kart 8 continues to become an attractive prospect for those who jump in and buy a new 4K Switch in 2022-2024.

How do we know Nintendo considers it a midgen refresh (honest question)?

Not one single word from them of "new hardware" or definitive "what's next" is coming.

4 years into the Wii they told investors they were working on new next gen hardware to be next after the Wii. 3 years into the Wii U Nintendo announced next gen console hardware (NX)

Not only have we not heard anything like that, we have consistent doubling down on growth and lifespan lengthening of the current system.

This new model is being released with little fanfare or Nintendo preparation for the public. This new model is being revealed with Nintendo saying they have no plans for any new hardware soon. Like they did with new 3ds hardware.