• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
2/3: Funimation confirms release pattern

For those that don't know, Paranoia Agent has been close to impossible to watch legally for well over a decade, with no appearances on streaming services and more than a few OOP home releases to its name. I would assume that Funimation will be doing a Blu-ray release and having it stream on Funimation Now, which is great news since this was the last piece of the Satoshi Kon renaissance we've been experiencing in the past couple of years, with GKIDS rescuing Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers and Eleven Arts doing the same for Millennium Actress. While it would be nice to see a new release of Paprika to complete things, it's great that folks will finally be able to experience Kon's body of work without having to resort to steep secondhand prices.

EDIT:

Streaming tomorrow and a Blu-Ray release planned for later in the year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
God yes :)

Revisiting this in HD will be a delight!

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of Satoshi Kon's work getting restored & released in theaters and home video the past year or two has been amazing. Everything I've seen from him has been truly phenomenal, can't wait to get this and finally watch it!

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CjU719I.gif

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, this series has been in licensing limbo for like 15 years due to Geneon's closing. I remember seeing this on Adult Swim & been meaning to check it out now that I'm older & can appreciate it more.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I will gladly allow this to de-value my old DVDs, especially if they do a nice Bluray set.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, actually wasn't aware that no one's had the license for it after all of this time.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
whats the series about?

Don't read about it.

All you need to know is that a town is getting terrorized by someone with roller skates and a baseball bat.
Each episode follows a different person in the town, but they are all connected somehow.

It's very psychological-thriller-y

May 10, 2019
whats the series about?

Paranoia Agent (妄想代理人, Mōsō Dairinin) is a Japanese anime television series created by director Satoshi Kon and produced by Madhouse about a social phenomenon in Musashino, Tokyo caused by a juvenile serial assailant named Lil' Slugger (the English equivalent to Shōnen Bat, which translates to "Bat Boy"). The plot relays between a large cast of people affected in some way by the phenomenon; usually Lil' Slugger's victims or the detectives assigned to apprehend him. As each character becomes the focus of the story, details are revealed about their secret lives and the truth about Lil' Slugger.

Wiki

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm not a big anime fan but this show was just amazing, it was masterfully done. The direction, the themes, the music, all of it. Will be getting it day one and watching Happy Family Planning.

OP
OP
Ridley327

Ridley327

whats the series about?
It starts as kind of an anthology series about folks with some serious psychological baggage, linked only by the presence of seeming attacks by an assailant known to the world as Shonen Bat, who rolls around on roller skates and assaults folks with his golden baseball bat. It, umm, escalates from there, and with Satoshi Kon's singular obsession about the nature of reality and dreams colliding violently with each other, it eventually coalesces into something else altogether.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when this was airing on Adult Swim and I never wanted to watch it because the commercials (which I was watching at like midnight or 1am) were just fucking freaky lol. Finally got around to seeing it years later and it was my favorite Kon production, just so good.

This summer unbelievably is the 10-year anniversary of his death, so might be a good time to go through and revisit all of his stuff again. Good timing that this will become available soon.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when this was airing on Adult Swim and I never wanted to watch it because the commercials (which I was watching at like midnight or 1am) were just fucking freaky lol. Finally got around to seeing it years later and it was my favorite Kon production, just so good.

This summer unbelievably is the 10-year anniversary of his death, so might be a good time to go through and revisit all of his stuff again. Good timing that this will become available soon.

His death is still one of the absolute biggest blows to animation the world over, not just Japan.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
one of Satoshi Kon's (many) masterpieces

a psychological triumph of a series

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Own the series on DVD but of course I will buy it on Blu

Glad Kon's stuff is more readily available, it's still devastating that he's gone

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes.

Did I miss Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers becoming available? Because a few months ago when I went on an anime binge I couldn't find decent releases of those for shit.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I have the PAL DVDs and been meaning to watch the whole series, but the video quality isn't great. If this comes to Funimation, that'll get me to sign up there.

One of the all-time greats.
I own the DVDs, which go for bizarre prices, but yes, I'm in for Blu-ray.

I only bought the dvds because I thought it would never get released on Blu-ray, tho.

Edit: And before I forget, for those in the know:
AAAAAAAAAAAeeeeyaaaah-ooooh ooo ohhhh!!!

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
While I'm hopeful the Blu-rays will look at least marginally better, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just an upscale. The Geneon DVDs are weirdly clear of grain (and also super low-res for some of the still shots), which makes me think it's a digipaint show.