• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Sent an email to customer service about this because they made no mention what they're going to do for anyone who was on their annual subs. Like I get it, but I would also expect a refund for the remaining months if they're not going to add anymore new shows.
Yeah my Funi annual sub renewed on 1st Feb so I'm wondering what's going to happen. I'd want a refund of at least 50% ontop of my free 60 days of Crunchyroll Premium

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
It's because Funimation has a large amount of users grandfathered in at old, low subscription prices from pre-Sony.

Dirty trick, Sony.

For real what the fuck. :/

I'm subbed for the dubs of MHA, One Piece, and Dragon Ball. That is the only anime I watch. It was cheap enough that I was ok keeping it, but making me pay more for nonsense I don't give a shit about will probably just make me cancel. Does Crunchyroll have separate profiles like Netflix or Disney+? If I can split the cost with other folx I might consider it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is there a chance that spartacus will offer crunchyroll? I'm waiting for sony to finally unveil it before subbing to CR.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
why are people hating this?
People with annual subs like me are confused as to if we can get some sort of refund or better deal transferring to Crunchy. Also none of us were notified this merger was happening till this morning. We all knew it was going to happen eventually, but they should have given us much more of a notice.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
is there a chance that spartacus will offer crunchyroll? I'm waiting for sony to finally unveil it before subbing to CR.

Maybe. Timing of the merge makes sense with Spartacus coming 'soon', but could be pure coincidence due to the original acquisition date and integration planning roll-out which does take time.

Oct 25, 2017
why are people hating this?
I made a list of questions I submitted to funimation support, give you an idea of where confusion/frustration is coming from.

1) I have a Funimation Subscription active until July. The service starts becoming worthless with the spring updates. I only get 60 days free of crunchyroll. How will the rest of my remaining Funimation subscription be made up for.
2) My Funimation Subscription is a grandfathered $60 a year subscription. Will these plans be carried over to Crunchyroll, or will I be forced to have my price increased by $40 a year?
3) Funimation consistently uploads home video versions of its anime to the streaming platform. Will this continue on Crunchyroll. As it currently stands Akudama Drive just got its home video version uploaded on Funimation but it is missing on Crunchyroll.
4) On the same topic as above, Crunchyroll almost entirely lacks captions for written japanese in its english dub streams. Will this issue be fixed?
5) Crunchyroll separates its sub/dub into completely separate season listings that can be hard to parse through. Is there any intent to move over Funimation's handling of language and version selection to Crunchyroll?
6) Funimation currently offers free shipping to premium subscribers...this is about the only reason I buy things there instead of Amazon. Will there be any alternative?

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
Damn it, I really wish they would've just merged everything into VRV. Now they'll probably kill that service and I won't have access to things that were VRV exclusive and I'll lose my watch history and watch list. Guess I'll have to get Crunchyroll instead.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a rumor awhile back that mentioned anime would be coming to PlayStation Plus or to another new Sony PlayStation subscription service (which could be Spartacus), and having everything on Crunchyroll would be a lot less messy than having to implement both Crunchyroll and Funimation.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The move hasn't actually happened yet right? Cause the one piece dub is still not on crunchyroll

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If they don't refund me the year that LITERALLY just started yesterday as a renewal, I will hold off on moving over until next February. I'm so far behind on all my shows that there's nothing really current that would even lure me over.

As long as they don't start pulling things OFF Funimation or shutter it entirely, I'll just hold I think.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Please, god, leave this merger until after AoT is finished. I don't want to watch the end of it in Crunchyroll's awful player and image quality.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Smart move. Crunchyroll is the much bigger name in streaming and the apps are SIGNIFICANTLY better. Hopefully they get the CR app on Samsung TVs though.. ideally it could just replace the Funi one. Would be preferable to not have to use my console just to watch it.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if the dub for the last few Attack on Titan eps left to go (I think the last 4 or 5 eps of Season 4 are still sub-only) will make it to Funimation still or will just go to Crunchyroll only.

The move hasn't actually happened yet right? Cause the one piece dub is still not on crunchyroll

Yeah, DBZ and Naruto dub isn't either

They are doing this in batches it seems, so I assume it will show up eventually.

Though if there's 1 company stuff that would the the hardest to add for some reason it would be Toei related.

Are any shows Funi are currently in the middle of dubbing added on the service so far?

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah my Funi annual sub renewed on 1st Feb so I'm wondering what's going to happen. I'd want a refund of at least 50% ontop of my free 60 days of Crunchyroll Premium

Well, I submitted a customer service ticket so I'll see what they say. lol

Wonder if the dub for the last few Attack on Titan eps left to go (I think the last 4 or 5 eps of Season 4 are still sub-only) will make it to Funimation still or will just go to Crunchyroll only.

They mentioned that any "continuing series" will still be added to Funimation so I imagine that AOT will continue to get added to Funimation. Basically that's just their way of saying anything Spring 2022 and onwards won't be available for streaming on Funimation's site.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Smart move. Crunchyroll is the much bigger name in streaming and the apps are SIGNIFICANTLY better. Hopefully they get the CR app on Samsung TVs though.. ideally it could just replace the Funi one. Would be preferable to not have to use my console just to watch it.

Funimation's app is worse than Crunchyroll? That's impressive in all the terrible ways.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they will upload the uncut versions these were on Funimation essentially the blu-ray releases. They had animation fixes and other stuff they couldn't do in the broadcast versions. Naruto Shippudden and Dragonball Super animation was improved in these releases.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yessss they're finally merging

That explains why Hulu is losing a fuckload of anime
This has actually been a huge bummer for me since Hulu is a good app and I also just like there being anime available to a larger audience. I noticed a ton of it expiring lately.. was in the middle of a Gundam 08th MS Team re-watch and didn't finish in time. :(

Funimation's app is worse than Crunchyroll? That's impressive in all the terrible ways.
Haha, yeah, it's genuinely terrible. The CR app is really bad on consoles from my experience, but my iPhone and Android TV ones are really good.. so hopefully they get the Xbox one up to speed. I haven't used the PS5 one lately to see how it compares.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
This has actually been a huge bummer for me since Hulu is a good app and I also just like there being anime available to a larger audience. I noticed a ton of it expiring lately.. was in the middle of a Gundam 08th MS Team re-watch and didn't finish in time. :(
Same here

Hulu is vastly superior to both apps since it actually works. I'm blitzing through Samurai Champloo since it leaves on Thursday lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
They are doing this in batches it seems, so I assume it will show up eventually.

Though if there's 1 company stuff that would the the hardest to add for some reason it would be Toei related.

Are any shows Funi are currently in the middle of dubbing added on the service so far?
Restaurant to another world and dress up darling are the big ones and I believe they both are already

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Kinda stoked to not have to pay two subs now.

But on the flip side, it's a bit concerning Sony has something of a monopolization on anime streaming at the moment as of this moment, and I can't see my Crunchyroll sub staying the price that it is for too long.

I really hope this doesn't fuck over consumers in the long run.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
That kinda sucks, if only because the CR app on my TCL is absolute trash. Very unresponsive and can even crash at times, it also frequently signs me out. Funimation's app wasn't perfect by any means, but I had a more enjoyable experience overall.

Maybe I'll try the CR app on a console and see how that shakes out.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Finally! Even though this will absolutely result in a price increase down the line, having everything all in one app is a huge upgrade. I routinely forget what series I was watching on which app.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
That kinda sucks to be honest, the Funimation streaming was way better than Crunchyroll. When I tried Crunchyroll the stream would freeze and buffer constantly. Funimation was super smooth, hopefully their service will keep operating.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
One thing I will say I'll miss is that Funimation subtitles openings/endings and CR never bothers.. it's nice to see this when watching Ranking of Kings.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Kinda stoked to not have to pay two subs now.

But on the flip side, it's a bit concerning Sony has something of a monopolization on anime streaming at the moment as of this moment, and I can't see my Crunchyroll sub staying the price that it is for too long.

I really hope this doesn't fuck over consumers in the long run.
Never thought that I would be rooting for Netflix but they got a decent library and hopefully they can give Sony a run for their money.