KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Dear VRV users,

Today we have both good and bad news to deliver. Which would you like first? Okay, the bad…

As you know, Funimation has been a popular channel on VRV since we launched two years ago. Funimation's dubbed lineup has complemented Crunchyroll's vast Japanese-language library of anime. Unfortunately, Funimation has decided to go their own way, and our partnership with them will be winding down on November 9th. After that date, you will no longer have access to the Funimation channel as part of the VRV Premium Subscription or as an individual Channel Subscription.

Don't stop reading here! VRV's love-affair with anime is as strong as ever — we have good news too, remember?

We are incredibly proud to announce our newest partner: HIDIVE, a dynamic new member of the anime streaming world. Anime favorites from HIDIVE, like Made in Abyss, Food Wars, Elfien Lied, Bloom Into You, and Highschool of the Dead, will be available on VRV in just a couple weeks with their full catalog of 500+ titles soon to follow. One reason you've told us that you *love* VRV is because we have anime both subbed AND dubbed. With HIDIVE's impressive collection of subs, dubs and simulcasts and Crunchyroll's unparalleled Japanese-language library, we're confident that you'll agree that our anime selection is still the best around.

Please know that VRV is more committed than ever to bringing you the newest and best titles from an ever-growing assortment of channels. Stay tuned as we have even more exciting content announcements coming soon! Thank you for your continued support. And as always, we love hearing from you what additional content you'd like to see on VRV!

Sincerely,

the VRV Team

https://vrvblog.co/melissah/3652/changes-to-vrv-premium/

Dear CR users,

As many of you know, we have had an ongoing partnership with Funimation the last two years, sharing anime between users. Unfortunately, Funimation has decided to go their separate way, and this partnership will be winding down on Friday, November 9th.

For our Crunchyroll community, this means that you'll still be able to access the biggest anime library in the world. However, a list of select catalog titles licensed via Funimation will be leaving Crunchyroll - likewise, the Funimation catalog will also be impacted. That list is currently being finalized between both parties, and we will share impacted titles with you as available. Currently-airing simulcasts and series that premiered during the partnership will continue to be available on Crunchyroll, including favorites like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. Additionally, all home video releases will be released as scheduled and all pre-orders will be fulfilled.

As demonstrated by our record year of anime announcements, Crunchyroll is more committed than ever to bringing you the best and latest series from Japan, as well as expanding our catalog of classics. We've just launched a strong fall season -- with the likes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, and Sword Art Online Alicization -- and plan to bring much more anime to you in the future.

Thank you for your continued support. We're honored to be your favorite source for anime and will continue to do our best in delivering you your favorite series at the speed of Japan.

Sincerely,
The Crunchyroll Team

https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumto...paign=news&referrer=community_cr_twitter_news

Everyone saw this coming the moment they got bought by Sony, but wasn't expecting them to leave VRV. Between this and Dramafever shutting down the platform has received several big hits recently.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Confused where the benefit is for Funimation? Now they have less content. VRV I understand but Crunchyroll is a weird move.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
well the deal has served its purpose, now that both cr and funi are owned by much bigger companies, and that netflix and amazon's attempt to take over failed(mostly amazon failed)

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
As much as it sucks overall, I had actually been thinking about getting HIDIVE recently and since VRV has a PS4 app it'll be easier to do so.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
At least HiDive (OG Legend of Galactic Heroes!) has some good shit and that means the HiDive stuff will be available on more platforms through VRV.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Bad move on Funimation's part. I was already planning on bailing on Crunchyroll after my free months expired, and this makes it even easier. I definitely won't be paying Funi for access to their own content, though. Single-company subscription services need to die.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Confused where the benefit is for Funimation? Now they have less content. VRV I understand but Crunchyroll is a weird move.
Funimaiton is now owned by Sony. In theory, they can take a bunch of the random streaming services that they own (like Crackle) and build it in to something like what Disney is going to be doing with it's Disney/Marvel/Star Wars streaming service next year.
This sucks for Crunchyroll- they are going to lose stuff like My Hero Academia, One Piece, and any future Dragon Ball stuff.
As someone who has constantly thought about Hidive but couldn't justify the price, though, it's not all that bad?

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks for a lot of people but luckily I was only really interested in Funimation so when I become a subscriber again (don't have time to really watch anything right now) $50 a year for Funimation Elite was what I was always planning to do.

Crappy news, but inevitable once Sony bought Funi. It was always going to be a matter of time before Sony wanted all of their pie.

At least we have two of the bigger series out there not leaving CR right away, so it's not all bad for now.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
What titles did Funimation get from Crunchyroll? I mainly use Funimation to watch dubs so I don't know they had anything was sub only.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Big corporations gobbling up smaller ones is scary as sin. It's bad for consumers in the end of the day because less competition means more money for conglomerates. I wish AT&T didn't acquire Time Warner and Crunchyroll. I didn't even know that Sony bought Funimation so that's news to me! It's a scary time to live in with government backed monopolies existing.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Damn, leaving Crunchyroll is a sad move. As someone who likes dubs, it was great that they were able to share titles and get those series with dubs like Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. I'm not sure what else could be on the list. Hopefully it's not too bad. Meanwhile HIDIVE is sounding better and better every day. Just need to get an app for the SHIELD.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So funi is gonna try and make ANOTHER exclusive channel of the backs off MHA and DBS huh?

Well...good luck I guess...

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Hidive only gets bad anime based on mobile games and shit.

This is bad.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Man, if only Crunchyroll got HIDIVE's stuff too and not just VRV.

I really want to give Maid In Abyss a watch.

Scavenger

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This should hopefully be good news for international fans. Funimation refused to release certain FunixCR titles in the UK or license out the home video rights to UK distributors.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So Crunchyroll is potentially losing future MHA and Dragonball stuff? That seems pretty big.

Wait are they just maybe losing Dub stuff or would that included Sub stuff as well? If they're just losing access to Dubs of shows I'm not particularly concerned.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
So Crunchyroll is potentially losing future MHA and Dragonball stuff? That seems pretty big.
if db super returns or a new series,, chances are that both crunchyroll and funimation will be streaming it, db super was not part of the partnership and toei animation shows were not part of the partnership i believe

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So MHA and Attack on Titan is gone from VRV\CR?

Uhh... I might be cancelling my sub to VRV here in a minute.

Oct 25, 2017
Funimaiton is now owned by Sony. In theory, they can take a bunch of the random streaming services that they own (like Crackle) and build it in to something like what Disney is going to be doing with it's Disney/Marvel/Star Wars streaming service next year.
This sucks for Crunchyroll- they are going to lose stuff like My Hero Academia, One Piece, and any future Dragon Ball stuff.
As someone who has constantly thought about Hidive but couldn't justify the price, though, it's not all that bad?

Crunchy won't have One Piece at all? really?

That would be huge, but I don't think that's the case.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Funimation has their own streaming platform so why would they want to have their stuff on any others?

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
How is the Dragonball content on Funimation? I thought about subscribing just so I could have Dragonball available digitally.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Crunchroll, Funimation, and HiDive separately anyways.
Don't ask me why.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I only had a VRV sub to watch MHA dubbed from Funimation + pick up the occasional other title or two, so I guess I'm out. Bummer.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna sub to both CR and Funi, if we're going to have to sub to multiple services to get the big shows then I'd rather skip some and choose.

So MHA and Attack on Titan is gone from VRV\CR?

Uhh... I might be cancelling my sub to VRV here in a minute.

If that's all you were subbing for why haven't you already cancelled it? They're both on break.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Damn. Didn't have VRV here as an option, but CR losing some of the Funi shows sucks.

To anyone asking, Crunchyroll had One Piece and Dragonball before the Funi deal and they will continue to.