• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter what kind of deals, I'm simply curious what resources you all use to get the best bang for your buck for anything. Here's what I use:

For games:

Wario64 (@Wario64) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Wario64 (@Wario64). I like video games. I tweet deals which may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Epic Creator Tag: Wario64. Bay Area, California

isthereanydeal.com

IsThereAnyDeal

www.resetera.com

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread | Read the New Rules in the OP | Scammers Suck

NOTICE: Games that are banned from discussion on ResetEra are also banned from being sold/bought/traded in this thread. The moderation team has taken action against users that have done so. The following games are currently banned: Hogwarts Legacy DISCLAIMER: The ResetEra administration has...

PC parts:

old.reddit.com

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Low prices take my energy つ ◕_◕ ༽つ • r/buildapcsales

A community for links to products that are on sale at various websites. Monitors, cables, processors, video cards, fans, cooling, cases,...

Fashion:

old.reddit.com

FMF: Deals, Discussions, and Reviews • r/frugalmalefashion

The place for coupons, discounts, sales, and deals when it comes to male fashion. Visit the Wiki for more information regarding guides, stores,...

Sometimes I'll check out slickdeals.net for miscellaneous deals but honestly not a big fan of it anymore. Too much effort to dig through all the low-quality deals to find 1 great deal that is probably out of stock by the time you find it.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't buy at all and weight each purchase heavily.

If I really want something and about to buy something, I give myself 24 hours before actually buying it. I've walked out of store only to come back the next day to actually buy the item before.

I steer clear of deals other than on things that cleared the above because 9 times out of 10, I don't use that item that was hurriedly bought on sale. I find that I save more in the long run than actually knowing where/when all the sales are.

For example, many friends/family feel like they need to spend money on Black Friday for instance even when they don't actually need anything.

OP
OP
Geist

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Slickdeals with set alerts.

but real frugal is not buying things in the first place.

If I really want something and about to buy something, I give myself 24 hours before actually buying it. I've walked out of store only to come back the next day to actually buy the item before.

I steer clear of deals other than on things that cleared the above because 9 times out of 10, I don't use that item that was hurriedly bought on sale. I find that I save more in the long run than actually knowing where/when all the sales are.

For example, many friends/family feel like they need to spend money on Black Friday for instance even when they don't actually need anything.
Are you guys just trying to tell me I shouldn't have put the word "Frugal" in the thread title?

Thrift shops, friends, reddit kindness.
Coronavirus really killed my thrift shop game. :-/

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys just trying to tell me I shouldn't have put the word "Frugal" in the thread title?
I read the thread and someone (you) already posted what I was gonna post (isthereanydeals) so just putting in another perspective from someone who also does the frugal stuff.

I used to be all about Groupon, Craigslist and all that other stuff. It just became mentally exhausting after a while and I succumbed to fomo whenever a deal propped up. I actually ended up spending more money lol.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I buy games and shit on sale, but the biggest purchases these days is travel. For that, I subscribe for the premium service of Scott's cheap flights. Get a TON of flight deals through there. We do 2 or so big trips a year (or 1 international and 1 cheaper domestic) and it's so worth it.

OP
OP
Geist

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I buy games and shit on sale, but the biggest purchases these days is travel. For that, I subscribe for the premium service of Scott's cheap flights. Get a TON of flight deals through there. We do 2 or so big trips a year (or 1 international and 1 cheaper domestic) and it's so worth it.
This is legit helpful, thanks. Gonna keep my eye on this for when the crisis is passed.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I'll check Slickdeals if it's something I'm wanting but not needing. If I need it, I'm gonna search a few sites but normally at that point I just grab what I need from the place I'll get it quickest.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Or buying right, once

I'd rather spend more to get the right thing and have it last me a while versus hunting down something cheap.

It's true what they say, it's expensive being poor.

Looking back to when I was in college and just after I graduated it was ridiculous how often I would buy stuff like cheap furniture, clothes, shoes, etc. because they would fall apart so quickly. I'm not exactly wealthy nowadays but it's crazy how much money you can save once you can afford to buy nice things that will last.

Oct 25, 2017
It's true what they say, it's expensive being poor.

Looking back to when I was in college and just after I graduated it was ridiculous how often I would buy stuff like cheap furniture, clothes, shoes, etc. because they would fall apart so quickly. I'm not exactly wealthy nowadays but it's crazy how much money you can save once you can afford to buy nice things that will last.

There's a balance to it. We've made $30 ikea tables last 10 years, but I'm not going to buy a $50 vacuum and expect the same thing. I'd rather hunker down and drop more on a Miele that will last me 15-20 years than a Amazon Prime special.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, I use the "cooling off period" strategy too - and the bigger the purchase, the longer I will leave it before pulling the trigger. If I still want it after I've had a while to think about it, and I can afford it, then great, but it's amazing how often taking that time to contemplate it and let that initial rush of "NEW SHINY THING" wear off results in you realising that you actually don't really want it that badly.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
There's a balance to it. We've made $30 ikea tables last 10 years, but I'm not going to buy a $50 vacuum and expect the same thing. I'd rather hunker down and drop more on a Miele that will last me 15-20 years than a Amazon Prime special.

Obviously a lot of depends on your lifestyle. In the last decade I haven't lived in the same place for more than 9 months, and Ikea stuff has not held up well to being moved. A table may be different but anything with hinges breaks apart fairly quickly in my experience.

Yeah, I use the "cooling off period" strategy too - and the bigger the purchase, the longer I will leave it before pulling the trigger. If I still want it after I've had a while to think about it, and I can afford it, then great, but it's amazing how often taking that time to contemplate it and let that initial rush of "NEW SHINY THING" wear off results in you realising that you actually don't really want it that badly.

I wish I would have learned this lesson younger, I spent so much money on stupid shit I never really used in my teens and early twenties.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I've stuck with Humble Monthly for a while. But I'm considering skipping the next resub date of there aren't enough games I want but don't already have.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
My wife was really into couponing for a while and it does save a fair amount of money, especially when you take advantage of things like double coupons and combining them with other deals.

Unfortunately that tends to include a bunch of junk food, but if you're looking to save money on food, it at least helps.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I know it's passé but if I'm in the market for a specific movie or tv series I use dvdpricesearch.com. It's been pretty useful.

I have an app that will alert you if an Amazon item hits your target price that I use. It has only really worked once. It's called...hold on to your hats...its called Amazon alert.

I'm all digital so it's pretty easy to keep an eye out for game deals. There are plenty of resources for games.