• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

FROMSOFTWARE/Kitao on Twitter

“We’re very grateful to those who have shown concern for us during these troubling times. The world is going through a great ordeal, but we are continuing to develop from home to ensure you have something to enjoy once serenity is restored. In the meantime, please take care.”

convo

Oct 25, 2017
No one is not affected by the pandemic. I'm glad they are staying safe as well, not much to do about it than work what you can and waiting.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Do you guys think it would be cool to have decapitation and limb cutting mechanic in Elden Ring? Cutting of limbs and heads of enemies if you time your swings right could be pretty dope. Kind of like the tail cutting mechanic in DS1, but much more frequent and in-depth.
Tail cutting is one thing, but I'm not the biggest fan of "limb cutting mechanics" tbh. The Surge had it, and it frankly didn't make combat more fun or exciting at all.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I like the addition of named mobs in Sekiro, slightly bellow an NPC fight but more of a unique elite mob. Makes those encounters easy to look up on youtube.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tail cutting is one thing, but I'm not the biggest fan of "limb cutting mechanics" tbh. The Surge had it, and it frankly didn't make combat more fun or exciting at all.

In The Surge you can specifically target the limbs to take them out. I'm not a fan of that either. What I'm talking about is more organic.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
continuing to develop from home to ensure you have something to enjoy once serenity is restored

1458995256691.png

And so the world might be mended

That one reddit post had something about limb cutting but who knows about that. The only sure thing was that lady in the trailer with the prosthetic and the severed arm. Not much talk about mechanics and i believe such major features need some time in the oven before they'll talk about it.
Remember when they talked about making your own bonfires in DS3? That got cut, couldn't make it work i guess. I wonder how much of Sekiro's prosthetic mechanic will get in Elden Ring, it won't be for traversal with a grappling hook.
Omni already confirmed we wont have prosthetics in Elden Ring so that character in the trailer is probably an NPC or boss

nguyensyquan

Feb 14, 2020
I might sound crazy but somehow I have a feeling that Elden Ring might be a little bit sci-fi, I mean, not regular sci-fi robot stuffs but I mean some interstellar stuffs. Like the lore and the mythos will be galactic-level including: a lot of new concepts that define universe , story about cosmic entities, deep original philosophy and maybe even fictional law of physics, something about space travel, time travel, concept of space-time, concept of existence.

ABSTRACTION, that's what I want to say.

I don't think either Miyazaki or George R.R Martin likes that style of writing but it would be cool if the first half of the game is just Epic Dark Fantasy stuff and the second half is all brain fucking and mind blowing.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Organic limb cutting? Yes! Bloodborne has those, DS1 has those. Really didn't understood when in DS3/Sekiro they didn't brought back those. I want to hit bosses in different areas to effect them differently besides Wolnir and Yhorm(You can add Midir too I guess). I would loved to see prosthetics in Elden Ring tbh. It would make 2handed builds way more versatile imo.

AGJTX

Jan 28, 2020
I figure the character with the prosthetic will be a nod to Sekiro, like Robert as a dark souls nod.
Could be possible for sure; it could be that and a result of a battle or issues with the world, but is seems that is has a variety of effects on different characters as seen by the trailer, so who knows what is and is not consistent in this world.

culchulach

Apr 2, 2020
"once serenity is restored" ... sure would be nice if they threw us something ... now... to help get through this .... i feel bad saying it ....

AGJTX

Jan 28, 2020
"once serenity is restored" ... sure would be nice if they threw us something ... now... to help get through this .... i feel bad saying it ....

Really, it is up to Namco to present a trailer; they are the ones marketing the game, so they are the one editing trailers together and what not. I think they are waiting to present it with one of the big companies or worst case scenario, at the IGN June game event.

phaerodox

Apr 8, 2020
I might sound crazy but somehow I have a feeling that Elden Ring might be a little bit sci-fi, I mean, not regular sci-fi robot stuffs but I mean some interstellar stuffs. Like the lore and the mythos will be galactic-level including: a lot of new concepts that define universe , story about cosmic entities, deep original philosophy and maybe even fictional law of physics, something about space travel, time travel, concept of space-time, concept of existence.

ABSTRACTION, that's what I want to say.

I don't think either Miyazaki or George R.R Martin likes that style of writing but it would be cool if the first half of the game is just Epic Dark Fantasy stuff and the second half is all brain fucking and mind blowing.

Totally see some sort of inter-dimensional/cosmic forces at play.

When i re-watched the trailer recently, the thought came to me that maybe the blacksmith we see hammering that pedestal, and the woman are the same/similar entities but in other dimensions. Also, the giant has similar hair as the winged helmet/prosthetic arm woman. Are they related in some way? Also if you notice the giant's sword when the spear guy pokes him its glowing with some sort of runes/design.

Also, I don't know if he's actually on fire like I initially thought, or if its some sort of magic emanating off of him. It looks like some sort of golden "dust" if you will.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
" once serenity is restored " , so that means that if they take 5 years to make the vaccine for the coronavirus we will have to wait also 5 years to play Elden Ring ? God it could take months if not years to restore the serenity

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
" once serenity is restored " , so that means that if they take 5 years to make the vaccine for the coronavirus we will have to wait also 5 years to play Elden Ring ? God it could take months if not years to restore the serenity

Oh, I don't think he was referring to a specific time window with that statement. He probably meant that you can't obviously release and give out a game in the middle of an outbreak, and I 100% agree with that.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
While I don't see FROM sitting on the install base of current gen, I am quite dissapointed we get Elden ring so late in the gen that it will basically be a last gen title when we get to play it.
Makes no sense, I know, but here's to hoping they make it cross gen.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't see FROM sitting on the install base of current gen, I am quite dissapointed we get Elden ring so late in the gen that it will basically be a last gen title when we get to play it.
Makes no sense, I know, but here's to hoping they make it cross gen.

Seeing as Bandai Namco is the publisher I'm fully expecting a remastered version a year or two later for next-gen consoles.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
"serenity restored" will be the hud message when we lit this game's bonfires. it can be a cracked ring which became whole as you touch it :B

also, i'm playing FF7r and i can thank FromSoft for single handedly ruining other games bosses like, ever. they are just bad and boring and souless.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
"serenity restored" will be the hud message when we lit this game's bonfires. it can be a cracked ring which became whole as you touch it :B

also, i'm playing FF7r and i can thank FromSoft for single handedly ruining other games bosses like, ever. they are just bad and boring and souless.
Hell nah breh, the bosses in FF7:R are amazing.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Seeing as Bandai Namco is the publisher I'm fully expecting a remastered version a year or two later for next-gen consoles.
For sure the final edition with all the dlcs will also for next gen . No reason to release it only on last gen after that ps5 is out since 1.5 / 2 years

AGJTX

Jan 28, 2020
Both Sekiro and FF7R have great bosses for their respective combat systems; I think it is kind of hard to compare the two when they have two distinctly different action combat systems.

Both games' bosses require you to reevaluate the combat system and be aware of its mechanics to be successful in those fights.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I would loved to see Elden Ring using Backwards Compatibilty of next gen consoles and a patch to reinforce it just like CDPR way. But hey it's Bamco. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't sell a Remastered version.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
in your opinion people, what game really can pass as a souls game that is not from from software?

im itching for somethink souls like but idk some other games just dont reach from

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
in your opinion people, what game really can pass as a souls game that is not from from software?

im itching for somethink souls like but idk some other games just dont reach from

Depends on what you need to get from the game.

If it's the atmosphere and level design, and you can handle ancient graphics, give King's Field a shot. It's remarkably similar to Dark Souls other than being first person. Action is not as good.

If you're willing to given them about 10 hours to let yourself get used to what they are trying to do differently than Souls games, I think Nioh or The Surge or Immortal: Unchained are worth a look. Nioh is the most polished of the three, and the most different.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

That'll depend on what you like about their games. I get different things that I like about Bloodborne from different games, but I've yet to find a game that actually has all the things I like in the same package.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what you need to get from the game.

If it's the atmosphere and level design, and you can handle ancient graphics, give King's Field a shot. It's remarkably similar to Dark Souls other than being first person. Action is not as good.

If you're willing to given them about 10 hours to let yourself get used to what they are trying to do differently than Souls games, I think Nioh or The Surge or Immortal: Unchained are worth a look. Nioh is the most polished of the three, and the most different.

i have played nioh and the surge.

nioh gameplay is good, but it being leve/mission based really killed it for me, i may return to it.

the surge is kinda good at being soulslike, but the combat it just too janky.

That'll depend on what you like about their games. I get different things that I like about Bloodborne from different games, but I've yet to find a game that actually has all the things I like in the same package.

yeah from is just on another level lol

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
i have played nioh and the surge.
nioh gameplay is good, but it being leve/mission based really killed it for me, i may return to it.
the surge is kinda good at being soulslike, but the combat it just too janky.
Ashen is often overlooked and its a shame because it got a lot of things right.
The combat doesnt add anything new but the game is a lot better than both nioh and the surge in some of the other departments
traversal feels really good with the added jump mechanic and it even has some well hidden secrets that require a bit of platforming
It has an open world with a sense of scale that at times rivals some of the better vistas in the From games. The way they did fast travel is also interesting and it doesnt unlock until the later half of the game which is something i miss in ther recent titles
duq-4xfuuaa8zsf.jpg_large.jpg

sc77nq.png
There is a town building aspect to the game and its impressive to see how far the main hub has come with every other visit
Finally the artstyle feels very unique and its consistent in every aspect of the game. Im glad that at least one of the souls clones tried to be a bit more colorful and do something other than realism

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I'm so disappointed those artworks posted before are not official I really can't figure how From could top those.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Yep. Totally agree. Cant wait for the Future Press guide for this thing to oogle the art like cray
Half the fun of these games is just looking at the incredible art designs.
I remember before Sekiro came out I was just as excited about seeing the new enemy designs as I was about the game itself.
Its the same with Elden Ring and if this does turn out to be their biggest game to date I can totally see a 500+ pages artbook filles with beautiful armor and monster designs.
Tbh those artworks look amateur
To clarify, I dont think those designs are bad. On the contrary, I think the technique is pretty good and some of the ideas are very original. Its just not Fromsoft level but that doesnt mean we cant enjoy their work! I love these guys!
EVoTJpcUYAQN5HQ
EUzd47JVAAAFAVf

Its also a bit naive to think that those were official concept art pieces being shared publicly on twitter under everyone's nose

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
Do you know what children need ? The children need a Rune/ Lost Kingdoms revival via an HD port or something.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
No it's not. It's a great game but it's not a 2D Souls whatsoever.

Salt and Sanctuary is the only "2D Souls" out there.

Yeah Hollow it's not, but it's an amazing game with a narrative structure and ambience that resembles that of Souls games (or probably better explained, just are inspired on). With some inspired-on-souls mechanics too (or even borrowed). It appeals to me more than Salt and Sanctuary, way more. But yeah I wouldn't recommend Hollow as a 2d souls game either.

What do you (all) think about Death's Gambit? Apart from being mostly bad, It's not really a 2d souls either?

I wanna play Blasphemous one day soon. But of course all my interest in these games is more like metroidvanias with cooler-modern combat mechanics rather than "souls resembling 2d games". I don't really think metroidvanias need to get anything from souls games to be good. More like souls already took cues from metroidvanias to be cool (cooler) if you ask me.

Oct 29, 2017
I would definetely recommend it over Salt and Sanctuary as a Souls-like game tho, it's a better game and better in it's similarities to Souls. Played a bunch of Souls-like and none of them captured the essence as good as it did, even if they tried really hard( and usually without a lot of imagination)

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The higher emphasis placed on different races, lands, nations, and organizations really excites me. Elden Ring's sheer variety in aesthetics, art design, and creatures is going to be nuts just off this. On top of all that world history, and world building you have a massive event that has effected everything in a huge way. Oh, and you have a horrifying breach from another realm taking place. So many layers here, and to hear that it's a truly deep fully realized world is just a dream. The sheer scope is staggering here, with way more exciting possibilities than ever before .

maxresdefault.jpg
the-queen-fantasy-battle-luminos-wallpaper-preview.jpg

"Divine Royalty of Gods and Demi Gods"
We see a bit of this in Dark Souls III. One of my all time favorite lore pieces in any game is the invasion of Anor Londo from a foreign force of graceful ice based invaders. The introduction of political elements and the divine - like Pontiff Sulyvahn and what he did to the royal divine family of gods. The removal of the ruling god, Gwyndolin, his devouring, and locking Yorshka in a tower. To think we'll have an entire game that has more of an emphasis on these type of things is so exciting.
f08zbuo646431.jpg
bcf0382d4b9ff3eec136b1e327c22a01.jpg

"Fiendish" - I wonder if some of them are sentient in any way. Either way, a horrifying invading force that hasn't presumably walked the lands of that world in centuries on top of all that is happening already is nuts.

bb51c5d0f7442f60704a9df2da3969d9.jpg
4ce15c0cd3294f8f2018841ba9b24444.jpg

" What happens when the barrier comes down and all the worst and unimaginable things it was keeping out start to make their way in."
Can't wait to dig into this aspect of the lore. What is the history of these things that are seeping in? How were they sealed in the first place? What is their world like? Also gameplay wise seeing giant monstrosities in the distance with a new sense of scale, and how the dynamic world effects all of this makes it even more special.
9c0a19acd4d7c4dddf1dabe402366fa9.jpg
e425331442d3e62533963d63371b652b.jpg

dark_future.jpg

With different races being in, we'll be more privy to their own histories and cultures. The Elden Ring shattering has effected everything and different things have reacted to it in different ways. I think we see this in the trailer with the scaly armed red haired warrior, and the multi armed crowned being. I'm also wondering if we'll see some organizations that aren't just based off schools of magic, but other interesting concepts.

uKr4gBf.jpg
fd4246926beb0540f6b6724329b6a920.jpg
78c2c170bf70cac287a620c0db5c6cd8.jpg
f7a232cb4731d09eb5d814eb32245730.png

Last edited:

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
I now understand what was Omni referring to when he said to expect tears of all variety from FS this year... tears of joy and happiness for this new dream-like game .... and tears of utter despair for not having anything else than a CGI trailer

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
The higher emphasis placed on different races, lands, nations, and organizations really excites me. Elden Ring's sheer variety in aesthetics, art design, and creatures is going to be nuts just off this. On top of all that world history, and world building you have a massive event that has effected everything in a huge way. Oh, and you have a horrifying breach from another realm taking place. So many layers here, and to hear that its a truly deep fully realized world is just a dream. The sheer scope is staggering here, with way more exciting possibilities than ever before .

"Divine Royalty of Gods and Demi Gods"
We see a bit of this in Dark Souls III. One of my all time favorite lore pieces in any game is the invasion of Anor Londo from a foreign force of graceful ice based invaders. The introduction of political elements and the divine - like Pontiff Sulyvahn and what he did to the royal divine family of gods. The removal of the ruling god, Gwyndolin, his devouring, and locking Yorshka in a tower. To think we'll have an entire game that has more of an emphasis on these type of things is so exciting.

"Fiendish" - I wonder if some of them are sentient in any way. Either way, a horrifying invading force that hasn't presumably walked the lands of that world in centuries on top of all that is happening already is nuts.

" What happens when the barrier comes down and all the worst and unimaginable things it was keeping out start to make their way in."
Can't wait to dig into this aspect of the lore. What is the history of these things that are seeping in? How were they sealed in the first place? What is their world like? Also gameplay wise seeing giant monstrosities in the distance with a new sense of scale, and how the dynamic world effects all of this makes it even more special.

With different races being in, we'll be more privy to their own histories and cultures. The Elden Ring shattering has effected everything and different things have reacted to it in different ways. I think we see this in the trailer with the scaly armed red haired warrior, and the multi armed crowned being. I'm also wondering if we'll see some organizations that aren't just based off schools of magic, but other interesting concepts.

tenor.gif

Oct 29, 2017
ASilentProtagonist can we please we have sources for all these amazing pieces of artwork? I LOVE discovering new artists

Great post!