Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I love Frasier and enjoy that Frasier has received renewed attention as a streaming staple, but this isn't a show I could see coming back. It would have to be a very different show, and maybe that's what they have in mind, but then I question why bother. John Mahoney is dead, Kelsey Grammar is a lunatic, David Hyde Pierce playing a queer-coded straight man would hit different now that he's out of the closet, and staple characters like Bull Dog were super distasteful even in their time. There'd be a lot that would have to be rewritten to make sense.

I guess you could do a show about how Frasier and Niles are dealing with retirement considering they're both in their 60s. Or maybe just the twilight of their careers in general. But the show revolved a lot around their professional lives and their conflicting ideology in the workplace. Much of the family drama structure would also be over because it's either entirely resolved or impossible to continue. Which just makes me wonder if the show would just be "Old Frasier and Niles struggle with iPhones" or something. That doesn't sound great.

I'm not against a show continuation focusing on the old age of the original characters. That's something that could be very interesting if they actually made a show about their lives as senior citizens - like Golden Girls. But I worry with revivals like this the idea is just to try to do the same thing that worked before with actors who have all outgrown their roles.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Nah. I don't support Trumpers. It's the one reason I haven't watched anything Tim Allen has done recently.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Don't know how accurate this is, but there's this from an article a couple years ago:

Grammer is hoping for a series which will move the story on, and make it "the third act of Frasier rather than trying to pick it up, like Will & Grace did, right where they were."

"He's past the radio show," he said. "He might be an art dealer. He might be a professor. We don't know yet." The actor also suggested that Frasier may still be living in Chicago, where he moved at the very end of the last episode, leaving his friends behind in Seattle.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Love Frasier. It could work. If alive, Mahoney would've been kind of old and probably wouldn't have even made sense to have him part of the with the age he was portrayed as. He'd be 90+ in the frasier cinematic universe. Wouldn't have made a lot of sense most likely.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
If David Hyde Pierce is in, I'll check it out...but somehow I assume he's not.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Without John Mahoney playing a grounded character next to everyone else who is over-eccentric I don't think the show woks.

David Angell (one of the show's screenwriters and main producers) was also in one of the plane that crashed into the towers on 9/11. I feel like a lot of the people I want to work on it are gone

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the original but Frasier such a bizarre show to watch now considering Grammers real politics.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
He chased after a love affair there I believe shunning a TV opportunity in San Francisco if recall correctly. Tend to rewatch earlier seasons and not go as deep into the later catalogue.

He got a new job in San Francisco, but the last piece of dialogue in the show was an airline attendant announcing they had just landed in Chicago. Point was he was following a woman he fell in love with.
I've watched Frasier a hundred times and complete blanked on that lol

Oct 31, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
I loved the original but Frasier such a bizarre show to watch now considering Grammers real politics.

It's not that bizarre. Reminds me of Carroll O'Connor: for the longest time, I swore that character was played so well that he must have the same politics, but it's the opposite -- he was a progressive and more like Meathead than Archie.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
I fucking love Frasier, it's probably the best sitcom ever...and I don't want this.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fraiser is a top 5 favorite show of mine, but I'm not sure I want a reboot.

Honestly I'm tired of TV execs trying to chase that nostalgia with reboots. Just try new things!

Oct 31, 2017
I've watched Frasier a hundred times and complete blanked on that lol

Oh man, I can't believe there were true Frasier fans who DIDN'T know that, but that's what makes the ending so cool. It's subtle, so when the captain says, "Now arrive in Chicago," you could easily take it was him moving on with his life and it works fine. But when you really think about the city and how he was supposed to move to San Fran, it's like, "OH SHIT!"

Reminds me of when he went flying out just to be adventurous and dated a supermodel zoologist that nobody believed existed, only this time it was for real. =P

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
The show was on fumes by the end of its initial run, and was better than it had any right to be due to the specific chemistry of the cast.

Would be interesting if he had a different job so we wouldn't hear "Frasier Crane... from the radio?" seemingly every episode.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Frasier was amazing, but the odds of a smart, sensitive revival are slim.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
You know Paramount has nothing when a fucking reboot/revival of Frasier is their big swing for their new streaming platform.

I loved Frasier back in the day but this isn't the sort of project that you launch Paramount + with, it skews too old and would't 'travel' very well to foreign markets.

Besides, whatever happened to that project with Grammar was supposed to be doing for ABC with Alec Baldwin?

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
kCxR4Xz.png

TIL his real name was moose

Oct 31, 2017
The show was on fumes by the end of its initial run, and was better than it had any right to be due to the specific chemistry of the cast.

Would be interesting if he had a different job so we wouldn't hear "Frasier Crane... from the radio?" seemingly every episode.

It 100% wasn't on fumes during the last season. Was as good as pre-Season 8.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I can't believe there were true Frasier fans who DIDN'T know that, but that's what makes the ending so cool. It's subtle, so when the captain says, "Now arrive in Chicago," you could easily take it was him moving on with his life and it works fine. But when you really think about the city and how he was supposed to move to San Fran, it's like, "OH SHIT!"

Reminds me of when he went flying out just to be adventurous and dated a supermodel zoologist that nobody believed existed, only this time it was for real. =P
Haha

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Frasier is my all-time favorite show, but I really do not want this. No Mahoney is a huge problem already, but I also do not want clear answers to where the show left off. As has been mentioned too, a good deal of this would likely focus on Frasier and Niles being out of touch with the times and that just sounds like a complete waste already.

There is stuff that could be fun and interesting, like yeah seeing how Freddie turned out and seeing how he interacts with his parents now could be fascinating, but I really just rather they not bother.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Why not bring Cheers back instead? You would have more characters to work with, and could always bring Frasier back into it if you want.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
A Frasier revival could work. Just write it so that Niles' kid(s) and Fredrick grew up to take after Martin and then you put Niles and Frasier into Martin's position in regards to relating to their kids.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love Frasier, but I can't see this recapturing the magic of the original but would love to be surprised.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Just finished the first season this weekend. Not sure how a revival would work.

Maybe Niles and definitely Frederick would have to be in it at the least.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought this series was a product of its time, relatable only to people that were kind of old in the 90s.

I watched some bits of it here and there, since it aired before Seinfeld here in my country, and I found it extremely bland.

I'm really not sure if this show would work with newer audiences

May 31, 2018
YES!!!

I have watched the series over and over. Fantastic series. Fantastic actors/acting. After Roseanne getting turned on it's head this will more than make up for it.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Frasier moves to a small lumberjack community in Alaska. One of his client is a lumberjack that used to live in Miami, with a secret past. Dexter X Frasier X Godzilla.

May 31, 2018
Another thing:

David Hyde Pierce is as strong as Grammer is in that show. Watching how Niles acts when he's uncomfortable or comedically serious never gets old.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I have a feeling this revival has not happen yet no matter how hard Grammar try because none of his co-stars like him.
I mean Bulldog and Niles are gay in real life. I don't think they can stand this asshole republican.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah we already know the reboot is intended to be a whole new cast of characters, new setting/life for Frasier. I think that's better tbh, Frasier itself was radically different from Cheers in a completely different place and that could carry on here.

It's entirely about what writers they get. The final season of Frasier proved that when the quality jumped back up massively when a lot of the original writers returned.

I always thought this series was a product of its time, relatable only to people that were kind of old in the 90s.

I watched some bits of it here and there, since it aired before Seinfeld here in my country, and I found it extremely bland.

I'm really not sure if this show would work with newer audiences
No it's a very good show and still funny, it just doesn't work if you're young. The older I get the funnier it gets. The 90s when I was younger is when it didn't make sense.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in a Niles'Daphne spin off show or a Roz spin off than I am about giving kelsey more money for him to be an asshole.