nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
I don't wish cancer on anyone, even shitheads, but if the only opinion allowed in these threads is "Cancer Sucks" I'm not sure why we have them. That isn't a discussion. It's an excuse for self-righteous posters to backseat moderate, mostly.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Sad. Hope his family will have some comfort in this difficult time.

Always thought this dude had the coolest name, and appreciated his thoughtful style even if I didn't always agree with him

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
In a thread about how they are dying of cancer, no. Jesus, this isn't that hard. If this was a thread about his life work, by all means, you do you bro.

So when Bowie died and people were posting like "oh my god I loved Ziggy Stardust" that was also inappropriate? Or is it only not cool to talk about someone's life's work when that work was something people have issues with?

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
In a thread about how they are dying of cancer, no. Jesus, this isn't that hard. If this was a thread about his life work, by all means, you do you bro.
We wouldn't know or care about him if it wasn't for his lifes work. He'd just be another guy cursed with cancer. When you live a public, outspoken life, people are going to share their opinion of you, good or bad.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
So when Bowie died and people were posting like "oh my god I loved Ziggy Stardust" that was also inappropriate? Or is it only not cool to talk about someone's life's work when that work was something people have issues with?

I don't know much about the person being discussed in this thread, but in that Bowie thread, I'd imagine "I hated Ziggy Stardust" would probably get some backlash.

Cancer is a terrible thing that I've seen firsthand, and it happens to those we love and those we hate. It definitely happens to those we oppose.

However, I think that in fair opposition to ideals, we hope to win on the basis of merits because we are in the right. Cancer is a cheater and so I never hope it's allowed in the game.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't want these people harming our democracy and progress either but I don't want anyone to suffer from cancer, I've seen too many times in my family what it does to people. My mother is fading right in front of my eyes. I hate these people too but knowing what he's going through I can't celebrate that process, and at the same time won't celebrate him. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I wouldn't wish ill health on anyone.

That said, part of his life's work involved the undermining of healthcare for people without his means as well as convincing others to do so.

In an ideal world he would become a better person but I don't think it's outrageous to say the world may be a net positive with him gone.

RIP though.

Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra's gonna be real heartbroken when Steve Bannon or Milo Yiannopoulos or Jordan Peterson dies.

Rudy Giuliani bites it, ResetEra: "RIP America's mayor"

I do think that there is something to be said about being "too light" on a person who dies of cancer or what have you, but at the same time, people celebrating the death isn't exactly great.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Krauthammer in 1989:

The inner-city crack epidemic is now giving birth to the newest horror: a bio-underclass, a generation of physically damaged cocaine babies whose biological inferiority is stamped at birth...[This is] a race of (sub)human drones ... [whose] future is closed to them from day one. Theirs will be a life of certain suffering, of probable deviance, of permanent inferiority. At best, a menial life of severe deprivation ... [T]he dead babies may be the lucky ones.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If you're happy about a death, nothing is going to change that. I'm sure you will still feel the same way regardless of what you post, and I'm sure others probably know how you felt because of how you posted when the person was alive.

Letting people know that you're happy someone is dead doesn't change anything either. It lets people know that you still feel the same way, and you're not really concerned about appearing respectful.

While you may find this liberating, this kind of discourse actually produces the opposite result than what you may have anticipated. For example, a person from Fox News browsing these kinds of comments on social media would have another story with which to feed their hungry viewership about the hateful left.

I can't really think of anything good that was accomplished on someone else's tombstone except maybe a sense of relief in the case of the tyrants and murderers. Certainly nothing to be gained concerning this guy.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
If you're happy about a death, nothing is going to change that. I'm sure you will still feel the same way regardless of what you post, and I'm sure others probably know how you felt because of how you posted when the person was alive.

Letting people know that you're happy someone is dead doesn't change anything either. It lets people know that you still feel the way, and you're not really concerned about appearing respectful.

While you may find this liberating, this kind of discourse actually produces the opposite result than what you may have anticipated. For example, a person from Fox News browsing these kinds of comments on social media would have another story with which to feed their hungry viewership about the hateful left.

I can't really think of anything good that was accomplished on someone else's tombstone except maybe a sense of relief in the case of the tyrants and murderers. Certainly nothing to be gained concerning this guy.

Because Fox News would certainly run out of fodder to get their viewers to hate liberals if we would just stop giving them ammo

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to both sides this, but I do understand. This guy was an unempathetic shithead. But he's also dying. It's one of those things where I think of his family more than him while disavowing his shitty things.

Although I admit when Scalia died I didn't have a 'mourning' period.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Krauthammer in 1989:

The inner-city crack epidemic is now giving birth to the newest horror: a bio-underclass, a generation of physically damaged cocaine babies whose biological inferiority is stamped at birth...[This is] a race of (sub)human drones ... [whose] future is closed to them from day one. Theirs will be a life of certain suffering, of probable deviance, of permanent inferiority. At best, a menial life of severe deprivation ... [T]he dead babies may be the lucky ones.
There really was a crack epidemic though, have you heard?

Also did you add in the (sub) when he said human?

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
There really was a crack epidemic though, have you heard?

Also did you add in the (sub) when he said human?

No, Charles added the (sub)

Also, there was certainly a huge problem with crack cocaine, although the idea of "crack babies" being subhuman monsters is total bullshit junk science that was from the very beginning a racist lie.

Here's a good podcast episode about it, they talk about this (fucking reprehensible) statement of Krauthammer's directly

https://soundcloud.com/citationsnee...-the-media-stacks-the-deck-against-defendants

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
No, Charles added the (sub)

Also, there was certainly a huge problem with crack cocaine, although the idea of "crack babies" being subhuman monsters is total bullshit junk science that was from the very beginning a racist lie.

Here's a good podcast episode about it, they talk about this (fucking reprehensible) statement of Krauthammer's directly

https://soundcloud.com/citationsnee...-the-media-stacks-the-deck-against-defendants
Fair enough, the quote written out with a bunch of parentheses and brackets seemed like it had a lot that was... Interpreted. If it's more or less direct, he was wrong

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are not familiar with what Charles did over at Fox News, you don't need to pretend to mourn him. Sometimes we don't need to feign sadness.

Since everyone else is going to jump on you, I just want to say, I agree with you.

Because Fox News would certainly run out of fodder to get their viewers to hate liberals if we would just stop giving them ammo

EDIT: After rereading this, I guess your post was sarcasm to the other guy, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Clipjoint

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Krauthammer never missed an opportunity to use his platform to push for the murder of brown people. There was never enough to satisfy his bloodlust.

I'll quote Glenn Greenwald, who has written quite often on the oppressiveness of those who try to silence dissent when a public figure dies:

This demand for respectful silence in the wake of a public figure's death is not just misguided but dangerous. That one should not speak ill of the dead is arguably appropriate when a private person dies, but it is wildly inappropriate for the death of a controversial public figure, particularly one who wielded significant influence and political power.

But the key point is this: those who admire the deceased public figure (and their politics) aren't silent at all. They are aggressively exploiting the emotions generated by the person's death to create hagiography.

To demand that all of that be ignored in the face of one-sided requiems to her nobility and greatness is a bit bullying and tyrannical, not to mention warped.

There's something distinctively creepy - in a Roman sort of way - about this mandated ritual that our political leaders must be heralded and consecrated as saints upon death. This is accomplished by this baseless moral precept that it is gauche or worse to balance the gushing praise for them upon death with valid criticisms. There is absolutely nothing wrong with loathing any person with political influence and power based upon perceived bad acts, and that doesn't change simply because they die. If anything, it becomes more compelling to commemorate those bad acts upon death as the only antidote against a society erecting a false and jingoistically self-serving history.

Policing the conversation to only allow praise is no different than the politicians who say we shouldn't bring up gun control so soon after a school shooting. It's exactly at times like this that we need to shame these violent bigots and bring to light all the damage, harm, and suffering they brought upon the world while they were alive.

Oh, and fuck John McCain too.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
There's some nuance that's being lost here.

I'm not "mourning" Krauthammer. I don't know him, and most of his op-eds were absolute trash.

Yet I also, simultaneously, do not wish him to suffer. There are very few people on this planet that I wish suffering for, and they do much worse things than have idiotic opinions.

It's possible to not like someone, but also not want them to suffer. Krauthammer suffering doesn't create a better world. I hope he and his family find solace in his final weeks.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
So no matter what vile shit a person has done in their life, we should never bring it up when they're dead or dying?
Death and disease erases one's past?
Personally, I think it's fine to bring up the awful things one has said or done. It's fair game.

I do not think it's okay, however, to wish death / suffering on someone or celebrate it.**

**Very rare exceptions made in my mind for, like, Bashar Al-Assad or people of that magnitude.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that a person who has spread hate, abuse, or danger to others should somehow be immune to criticism of their behavior by their victims after they die is insidious on many levels. They have died yet their abusive control of the people they hurt is perpetuated by people who insist their personal affection for the deceased must be shared by everyone else.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
I think the appropriate thing would be to say nothing.
That's a strange suggestion for a discussion forum. If this is a non-discussable issue, then all of these threads should be locked. Otherwise, people are going to continue to express their opinions, good and bad, of the subject. If people feel the need to say positive things about bad people because they're dying, it's going to draw people that feel the need to rebut those things.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This was very sad to hear. I always like him.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Will it ever be possible to be rid of cancer in the near future? Or is that a dream that is far from being achieved?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So no matter what vile shit a person has done in their life, we should never bring it up when they're dead or dying?
Death and disease erases one's past?

Agreed. What a strange thread.

"Remember that reprehensible person who said vile things? He's dying."

"That poor, sweet man."

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Cancer is horrible

Conservatives who rail against Public Healthcare who then get cancer need to realize that it can happen to them too and they should be more empathetic towards the average person who would benefit from a public form of Universal Healthcare or Single Payer.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are remembered for the good or bad things they say or do. That's normal. One evil thing also ruins a lifetime of good in the eyes of the people. However, people are still going to mourn the death of someone who did something really evil - like GWB murdering a million Iraqis. Not everyone has the same standards, some people do not give a shit about the bad stuff as long as it does not affect them.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

I don't really have an opinion on Charles since I don't know much about him but Cancer sucks.

2014Charger

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 8, 2018
Can't wait for people to say this about a Clown President.

Just ignore a lifetime of atrocities because we all know we get a conclusion that is undeniably inevitable and can't be prevented irregardless.

I think you might need a dictionary my friend. "Atrocities"? Really? That is how you would describe Krauthammer's actions in his life?

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how a lot of Americans would react if they saw how people were openly celebrating Margaret Thatcher dying in Scotland

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I think you might need a dictionary my friend. "Atrocities"? Really? That is how you would describe Krauthammer's actions in his life?

My post is geared more about the president. That's why I mentioned him. I can admit that looking back it is off topic but I'm responding to the idea that we even when his time comes, we have to hold back criticism of his actions. Actions have always mattered and words should be used to bring light to them. When someone comes to an end of life cycle we all find a genuine empathy level relating to the final moments. I think that's a basic understanding, but it doesn't mean you deserve sympathy especially if you were someone who lacked it.

2014Charger

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 8, 2018
My post is geared more about the president. That's why I mentioned him. I can admit that looking back it is off topic but I'm responding to the idea that we even when his time comes, we have to hold back criticism of his actions. Actions have always mattered and words should be used to bring light to them. When someone comes to an end of life cycle we all find a genuine empathy level relating to the final moments. I think that's a basic understanding, but it doesn't mean you deserve sympathy especially if you were someone who lacked it.

Ahhh, ok my bad. Trump definitely is more deserving of the "atrocity" descriptor. Let it be known that in general I do agree with you. I understand when someone dies it forces people to rethink their views and opinions on that person because....well they are gone. However I don't think we should completely wash away the actions taken during their life. That is no different than putting blinders on.

Society can't move forward without picking apart and dissecting what people have done right or wrong throughout their lives.