• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not familiar with the books but galactic empires and Jared Harris speaking of certain doom sparks my interest. Also seems like Apple gave this quite the budget

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This budget looks insane.

I still have no idea how this adaptation will go...

Deleted member 73234

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
Is apple plus very big? I like seeing this type of story get a big swing at TV, but I fear that its success will be throttled by apple plus adoption levels.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I love when I see these bad boys after Interstellar.

rc4vSTs.png

I'm not familiar with the books but this looks pretty fantastic and right up my alley.

Does Apple drop all the episodes at once?

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
3 episodes release on 9/24 I believe then one episode per week.

Looking forward to it.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
I talked a lot of shit on Apple TV but damn if mythic quest and ted lasso arent really good, so I got some hopes here

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Good lord, visually it looks better than some feature length films. You can tell there's passion behind it.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Don't remember where I stopped reading, but can't wait to see how the adaption goes. Shit looks great. Lee Pace is too good.

May 14, 2021
"Save your legacy" is a lame tag line. But when I hear Pace's voice, I'm in. Apple hasn't produced much yet, but what they have has been pretty high quality, so my hopes are high for this.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I only read the first book, but don't see anything of it represented in this trailer. Maybe it's based on later books?

From what I've seen, it's mostly an original story that just uses ideas from the books. It's as much of an adaptation of the books as the I, Robot movie was of the I, Robot book.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
credit where it's due, Apple's had a lot more success developing their own originals than I expected. Hope this delivers too!

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. On the one hand, it looks high-budget. On the other...it looks like it has absolutely nothing to do with the Foundation Trilogy, and appears to be creating a new story very loosely centered around the Foundation prequels.

That is...not what I was hoping for. But I also didn't expect them to have the guts to create a series that takes place over 1,000 years with different main characters each season.

This doesn't appear to be about the ideas of Foundation (which were about trusting in the plan and the genius who made them, as well as forging your own way when you realize the flaws of the genius), and more about the genius himself. Because of that, I am not really excited. It might end up being good (the cast sure looks great), but it's just another scifi series that has borrowed the Foundation name.

What a shame. Imagine hearing that Lord of the Rings was being made (for the first time), but then Peter Jackson revealed that it's actually about Gandalf and a plan by the current humans to try and take him down while he's on the run. Sure, it's got some of the same character names and locations...but it's not the same story at all.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Hmm. On the one hand, it looks high-budget. On the other...it looks like it has absolutely nothing to do with the Foundation Trilogy, and appears to be creating a new story very loosely centered around the Foundation prequels.

That is...not what I was hoping for. But I also didn't expect them to have the guts to create a series that takes place over 1,000 years with different main characters each season.

This doesn't appear to be about the ideas of Foundation (which were about trusting in the plan and the genius who made them, as well as forging your own way when you realize the flaws of the genius), and more about the genius himself. Because of that, I am not really excited. It might end up being good (the cast sure looks great), but it's just another scifi series that has borrowed the Foundation name.

i thought the foundation book...the blueish one with the city, was about hari seldon delivering the report about how its all unsustainable than my memory goes to complete shit.

ah this one;

672f000de91565dce4fc80d0e0df8f62.jpg

Apr 11, 2020
Looks beautiful. Has the sort of dramatic flair that I enjoy, with some very credible actors that are likely to elevate the storytelling above a lot of the high concept fantasy and sci-fi series flooding the streaming market. I'm on board AppleTv+ when it comes out.

Looks phenomenal but the trailer doesn't really pique my interest from a narrative perspective. And I love sci-fi.

A teaser trailer typically contains little information about the film and fulfils its intended function by building anticipation without satisfying you. You're more likely going to find further narrative content in a full trailer :)

Last edited:

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I read the Foundation series a long time ago and my vague memory was that it wasn't an entertaining series on its own at all, but it was more of a loosely connected group of fascinating concepts. Which is probably the point, iirc it started out as high-concept short stories for sci-fi mags, very similar to I, Robot.

Basically, what I'd say to look forward to from the books is the Men in Black quote "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." And coal powered spaceships.

And now that I've watched the trailer, it'd be pretty weird if they just work with the first book. But it'd be pretty hard to sell the later books in the same trailer, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's just the first few episodes.

Oct 27, 2017
i thought the foundation book...the blueish one with the city, was about hari seldon delivering the report about how its all unsustainable than my memory goes to complete shit.

That's one of the prequels, likely. In Foundation (the first in the actual trilogy), Hari Seldon is only in like, the first few chapters. Then it jumps into the future by decades and then centuries. This series appears to be about the time leading up to him forming the Foundation, not about the Foundation itself, or what happens to it (which is the really interesting story).

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

ah this one;

672f000de91565dce4fc80d0e0df8f62.jpg

Seldon's trial is just the prologue in the first book. You only actually see him for about 20 pages. He spends the rest of the story dead. The first book covers a couple hundred years of story.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Is apple plus very big? I like seeing this type of story get a big swing at TV, but I fear that its success will be throttled by apple plus adoption levels.

What do you mean by a big swing? I mean, it's obviously got the budget, and Apple hasn't yet cancelled shows prematurely or at all really. The series is probably safer here than most other places.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for all mankind looks pretty big budget, and it doesn't look like apple is going to cancel it. They're not Netflix, yet. They want to support their critically-acclaimed shows as adoption continues to rise.

Oct 27, 2017
Seldon's trial is just the prologue in the first book. You only actually see him for about 20 pages. He spends the rest of the story dead. The first book covers a couple hundred years of story.

I'm thinking that because this series is "inspired" by the books (similar to I, Robot), that Seldon and his trial (and what leads up to and immediately after) will be the entire first season.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that looks pretty great. Never read the books but I've always been kinda curious and had them on my list to check out. Will definitely watch this if it gets some good reviews.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
pessimistic about this; looks like a re imagining set during the fall of Trantor rather than the actual first Foundation book

Oct 27, 2017
pessimistic about this; looks like a re imagining set during the fall of Trantor rather than the actual first Foundation book

Exactly. Maybe there is a slim chance that they are only revealing the first 2-3 episodes...but I am not hopeful. What makes Foundation great are the big ideas (that take place over centuries), not the characters. Asimov was absolute shit at writing characters (especially women). The only reason you'd want to make Foundation is to translate those big ideas and then improve upon the actual writing. This appears to be taking the name, a single idea (that of Psychohistory) and then saying "instead of using the entire trilogy, let's just use the first chapter of the first book."

This might be pessimistic, but I'm almost expecting them (over 2-3 seasons) to save the galaxy and restore the Empire within the lifetimes of the characters (who will remain constant). 🤮 Or, to end the entire series at the point where scientists land on Terminus and form the Foundation.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
What baffles me the most is ... If your going to make a show based on Hari Seldon as the main character why not base it off Prelude to the foundation where he discovers psychohistory

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's more that there is no cap on TV seasons. Why rush through it?

The trial is the first chapter of the first book (and there are three books in the main story). The trial just serves as a prologue to explain why the real main characters are doing what they are doing (decades and centuries later). Maybe they could make that work...but this type of book series (effectively an anthology) isn't often well-translated to visual media since producers will want the same actors for long periods of time (rather than switching out the main cast every few episodes).

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Does Apple drop all the episodes at once?
They've done weekly releases for their other shows, and I haven't seen anything that would indicate otherwise for this one.

I read these books on the verge of middle school and don't remember a thing about them. Same with Dune. It will be like going in fresh. That's a period of my life I must have repressed because it all feels second-hand. On the plus side, each story beat will feel like a surprise regardless of how close the script lines up with the original.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people in this thread already passing judgment on the entire series based on a teaser trailer? For all you know, Jared Harris is only in the first episode?