bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So instead of the endless hypebotting has anybody found any flaws/criticisms of the game yet? How are the houses and how much variety is there to avatar customisation? Is the structure better than FH3 or is it still kind of aimless?

It's still Forza Horizon. You're completely free to roam around doing whatever you want. Each car has its own skill tree now, there are more varied events like being a stuntman, taxi driver, etc. Houses just unlock skills (first one is given for free and unlocks the drone.) Customization options are plentiful for your avatar.

But if you didn't like FH3 for being "aimless," you won't have your mind changed here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here is a question. Do you think PG will go the Fortnite route of changing the map we currently have, instead of straight DLC expansion packs?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Here is a question. Do you think PG will go the Fortnite route of changing the map we currently have, instead of straight DLC expansion packs?

If they want to add or change something, than as free update. For Expansion 1 and Expansion 2, which already exist, people are expecting huge add-ons and not some slight map changes.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

That's what I think will happen. They clearly put a lot of effort in the shared world aspect and said they'll add new events and races throughout the months ahead for every season. So our first winter season will be different from the next winter I believe

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
That's what I think will happen. They clearly put a lot of effort in the shared world aspect and said they'll add new events and races throughout the months ahead for every season. So our first winter season will be different from the next winter I believe

But not "instead of straight DLC expansion packs", cause they already exist and are in the Ultimate Edition.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Cruising around Edinburgh, and seeing all the detail put into the fake interiros of buildings - not long ago, (horizon 2) all we had were 2d images on windows as fake interiors or extremely low poly storefronts. But now, even at low speeds, it looks super convincing. And this is "just" a racing game. So good.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But not "instead of straight DLC expansion packs", cause they already exist and are in the Ultimate Edition.

Yeah, I am sure they will have their Blizzard mountain etc dlc, I am really interested to see how the keep the community engaged as the weeks roll on. If they can keep adding and refreshing things, people will play it for much longer. I saw the recent video where they talked the first few weeks but I wonder how that looks 6 months from now.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I really hope this is the case, but keeping some players out of the new areas and letting others in sounds like a huge technical challenge. I wouldn't want my free-roam in the main area being segregated between the haves and the have-nots either.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Nice, I preloaded the game on Xbox and I launch it and play for a few minutes then it crashes...

Game needs a 60.5 GB update. Are you fucking kidding me? What just happened? Really pissed.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So, at lvl 20 the clubs thing becomes available, but I don't see ForzaEra mentioned anywhere (I'm in the group in the Xbox app). Searching for the club through the game comes back with no results. I'm guessing you also need to create it in-game?

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For whatever reason I preordered the digital standard edition thinking it had early access. Of course it doesn't so I went to try and cancel my preorder and get the Ultimate edition and after spending half an hour with customer support I learn that I'm shit out of luck. The Microsoft store does not let you cancel digital preorders, support can't even do it for you. Neat.
That's strange. They have done it for me before. They did it for me on a previous Forza Horizon as well because I told them I wanted to upgrade.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if the Lamborghini Huracan Permormante will be one of the cars added later via car packs? Probably my most sought-after vehicle. Would also love it if they added an XF-S as well. They have the new XE-S in the game, but not the XF variant.

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Only done the first five or so races, but this runs like a dream on my PC. Locked 60fps at 1080p on my i7-6700k/GTX980Ti with the unaltered ultra settings the game recommended at the start. Love all the options (even one to remove the mouse cursor) though they are bewildering at first. And that opening was every bit as exhilarating as it was in the demo, repeating it did nothing to dimish the experience.

Getting Playground as part of their first party stable was a major coup for Microsoft. These guys knows what they're doing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Only done the first five or so races, but this runs like a dream on my PC. Locked 60fps at 1080p on my i7-6700k/GTX980Ti with the unaltered ultra settings the game recommended at the start. Love all the options (even one to remove the mouse cursor) though they are bewildering at first. And that opening was every bit as exhilarating as it was in the demo, repeating it did nothing to dimish the experience.

Getting Playground as part of their first party stable was a major coup for Microsoft. These guys knows what they're doing.

You should be able to play at 1440p or 8xMSAA with a 980Ti.

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Does VIP credit doubling not go into effect until you're in the connected world? I've had a few wheelspins in autumn and they haven't doubled

EDIT: just remembered when I clicked on the VIP pass in Marketplace it brought me to the MS store with the option to install it. Maybe when I get home tonight and re-launch the game it'll go into effect

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
So instead of the endless hypebotting has anybody found any flaws/criticisms of the game yet? How are the houses and how much variety is there to avatar customisation? Is the structure better than FH3 or is it still kind of aimless?
Custom radio stations are gone, and ANNA doesn't work over Kinect anymore. Those have me raging, but I'll live.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are guy guys playing quality of performance on One X? Can't decide what to go for after playing the game so much at 1080p with 60 fps on maxed out settings on PC. Quality makes it look better, but not as good as PC, but with 30 FPS. Quality makes the game smooth 60 FPS, but looks much worse than PC.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to play at 1440p or 8xMSAA with a 980Ti.

I only have a 1080p screen and don't plan to upgrade to a higher resolution display in the next 3-5 years. I'd be fine at 720p as long as the frame rate is a consistent 60fps.

Resolution has been fine for years from my perspective.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the fence between getting game pass for a month... getting the standard edition or just going all out on the full ultimate version... help!

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Are guy guys playing quality of performance on One X? Can't decide what to go for after playing the game so much at 1080p with 60 fps on maxed out settings on PC. Quality makes it look better, but not as good as PC, but with 30 FPS. Quality makes the game smooth 60 FPS, but looks much worse than PC.
Quality only so far. I'm afraid that it I try performance, I'll have a cloud of confliction hanging over me for the rest of the game.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Lvl 20? Wait what? You guys seem like you're levelling up to unreleastic rate.
If I recall, previous Horizon games level up much quicker than Motorsport, probably due to the number of event and how quickly you can start a new one (not to mention the points you get from just free roaming).

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

I have a couple slight criticisms after the first 3 hours played(demo tutorial, several autumn events, only 1-2 events away from unlocking winter), so granted things could change.

1) AI is either not filling out with drivatar's yet, or is just really weak. It's the typical mindless and robotic line-following in a pack, while your experience is often far removed(either in the lead or behind because of spinouts). I just have fond memories of Forza 3 and 4 on X360 having more unpredictable behavior within the pack that really doesn't exist here. Makes races feel a bit unenthusiastic despite the glorious visuals. They really do just follow a predictable and steady line. Hopefully things adjust though, possibly after the real launch.

2) Progression seems to have shifted from earning gold medals to earning xp. Better race result=more xp=more events unlock. Whether you get last or first doesn't seem to matter. You still get decent rewards(so far). This is fine and gives poor players a leg up to see new content over beating their heads to earn podium on problem events. I suppose the change also makes a lot of the events feel kind of well...unsatisfying? There is little satisfaction to actually getting 1st now. It's not been difficult to do so yet(I am using a wheel though, so it can be easier to spin out than with a controller, thus I have walked away with a few last place ranks), but there is no penalty. The icon fills out with a gold stamp even in those last place cases, and I move on(you could do this in H3 too, but the map icon reminds you that 1st place still awaits). Too early to see how this pans out, but already it is making that urge to win feel kind of unthrilling? I mean beyond adjusting difficulty sliders I suppose... Again, not sure how to feel quite yet about that one.

3) Otherwise there so far is little change from Horizon 1-3. Seasons are nice, but this is largely the same experience. I suppose I like the 'stories' more than the bucket list challenges, although they are largely the same but with improved context.

Oh and the houses are just like festivals(but buying them give passive rewards or gear/wheel spins). The customization on your avatar is fine. Lots of emotes and clothing to win in wheelspins or buy. Some will care I guess.

----------------------------

Nitpicky stuff, but I do feel some improvements from Horizon 3 so far...(beyond the obvious visuals).

1) You can now change cars instantly. No more driving or warping to a festival/house to do it.

2) Map isn't filled out with those dumb Blueprint events everywhere. Horizon 3 bloated the map with community blueprints on every event. Bucketlist blueprints everywhere...ugh. So far, they haven't shown up on the map outside of actually choosing them in the event themselves.

3) Wheel use feels better. Out of the box settings are actually a bit improved from the weirdness of Horizon 3. Roads have actual grip and better friction. (Often it felt like keeping the car straight was a trial in Horizon 3 without adjustments) Just feels better implemented.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I only have a 1080p screen and don't plan to upgrade to a higher resolution display in the next 3-5 years. I'd be fine at 720p as long as the frame rate is a consistent 60fps.

Resolution has been fine for years from my perspective.

You can downsample games from higher resolutions on a 1080p screen which is pretty much a high end anti-aliasing solution. A 980Ti has a lot of headroom at 1080p, so you should definitely either be using a lot of MSAA or downsampling to make use of it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I see in the character customization that there's some Bond outfits available, but it says they're exclusive to players with the best of Bond car pack. I thought that was included with the Ultimate edition automatically. Do you have to download it seperately?

You can downsample games from higher resolutions on a 1080p screen which is pretty much a high end anti-aliasing solution. A 980Ti has a lot of headroom at 1080p, so you should definitely either be using a lot of MSAA or downsampling to make use of it.

I know and as soon as I'm convinced the framerate is completely unwavering I'll try to push the settings a little further. Haven't hit the online mode yet, which might be more demanding :)

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone by chance already have a map with all boards to check which are still missing?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I see in the character customization that there's some Bond outfits available, but it says they're exclusive to players with the best of Bond car pack. I thought that was included with the Ultimate edition automatically. Do you have to download it seperately?

Horizon 3 didn't unlock any of the Ult. Edition content until the actual release after Early Access. Could be the same here.