• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not the only one that just goes forwards and reverses over speed traps during Forzathon Live, right? It's faster!

DC23

Banned
Aug 30, 2018
This game is the best driving simulator I've ever played. If you I thought the NFS series was good, you're in for a surprise, lol. Love the graphics, absolutely stunning.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
3 roads left to drive on.....

Where the hell are you hiding?

Doing the same thing at the moment. Removed all markers from the map and I spent a good hour and a half squinting at "is that grey gap or a dirt path"? Going for it today tho!

Are all roads already on the map or are there some that only appear if you're close?

My last road notification popped up when I was driving across the drag strip on the beach, near the Bamburgh Castle. It's not even marked as a road on the map.

There are also some tiny roads behind certain houses, and make sure you uncovered every road in various playgrounds, construction sites, and parks, where there are many of them crammed in a relatively small area.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
My last road notification popped up when I was driving across the drag strip on the beach, near the Bamburgh Castle. It's not even marked as a road on the map.

There are also some tiny roads behind certain houses, and make sure you uncovered every road in various playgrounds, construction sites, and parks, where there are many of them crammed in a relatively small area.

Huh....I didn't even realize there was another drag strip besides the one at the Festival lol

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
It used to rain a lot in Horizon 3, I never knew that it rained so much in Australia it seemed like that somebody had discovered some coding and it was so good they decided to use it all the time, I don't mind rain but it doesn't rain for all of Autumn and all of Spring in the UK,it wouldn't be so bad if it were just rain, but there is often post rain all of the time as well.

Kinda like Driveclub.
The "variable" option under weather actually meant "you really need to see how good our rain looks".
I don't think I went a full spring day in FH4 without a little rain and like I said earlier weather constantly changing so rapidly is ever so slightly annoying.
Great game though

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I'm not the only one that just goes forwards and reverses over speed traps during Forzathon Live, right? It's faster!

Not actually in reverse (I might try it now, though!), but I use a car with good launch, and brake and turn as soon as I pass the trap. It's also faster.

Huh....I didn't even realize there was another drag strip besides the one at the Festival lol

I don't know if it's used in drag events, but it sure looks like one.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
They need to get rid of cosmetic unlockables for the driver.
I mean, does anyone care about that stuff at all ?
I would actually be more interested in something you actually see while driving.

Like a pair of good old fuzzy mirror dice !

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
One of the things I'm enjoying most about this game is how unique each car handles and behaves to another, and just how much feedback there are to individual aspects of tunes, stats etc.

You'd think with tuning you could just make cars all handle alike, but that is simply not the case. After having driven dozens and dozens of different cars in the game, and experimented with and tested so many tunes specific to a wide range of vehicles, it's impressive how much nuance and fine physics difference there are between vehicles and set ups.

You can feel individual aspects of your tunes take effect, from differences in weight distribution, weight reduction, added downforce, gearing, tires etc, but at the same time each vehicle operates within its own confines, strengths and weaknesses, giving it unique characteristics.

For example, yes the McLaren F1 GT has blistering acceleration and speed, but it's never going to handle as well as a Senna. The downforce, aerodynamics and braking simply don't offer enough to compensate for the intense speed, no matter how comprehensively you tune, thus you'll always have slower braking and less pin point accurate handling compared to a Senna.

Conversely, the Senna may handle like it's magnetised to the ground and can pull off gravity defying manoeuvres and stoppage with ease, but it's always going to be lacking somewhat in speed and acceleration compared to a tuned F1 GT, no matter what tuning or upgrades you put on it. Clearly the chassis itself, and the incredible downforce it offers, is limiting its brute force speed.

And these sorts of differences exist all over, even comparing vehicles from the same manufacturer, eg an F50 GT vs a F40 C vs a FXXK. Or a Zonda R vs a Zonda C. A Sesto Elemento vs an Aventador or Huracan and so on and so on.

I think this is one of the reasons I was so frustrated with the game comparative to FH3, at least till I discovered the glitch. Part of the main fun for me in these games is testing and experimenting with as many different ultra competitive tunes and vehicles as possible, in all classes and types, but predominantly S2 and X classes so I have maximum potency in free roam tasks, competitive races, adventure and Forzathon events etc. Due to the stingy credit roll out, progression, and abundance of wasted rewards by means of an over emphasis on cosmetics etc, I felt I wasn't afforded this freedom, thus was enjoying myself far less.

Till the glitch, even after 60 hours of gameplay, I didn't have enough money to buy even two of the most exotic vehicles I desired, let alone the two dozen or so there actually were. And as much as some gamers might just be content with using whatever the game and luck based RnG offers them, that isn't sufficient for me, and the reality is the car you used to drive back in the day that makes for nice novelty ownership, might not actually be that competitive or well performing in the game itself, thus putting you at a disadvantage against other players, events, AI difficulties etc.
What glitch? That might actually make me come back to the game if it does something interesting.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, I like them, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. There should definitely be a way to buy most of them though. And of course I mean ingame money, no freakin' MTX.

Relying too much on RNG is never a good thing.

Also there should be more ways to earn money. Right now when you "completed" the game you hardly get wheelspins anymore, and they're the main source of income. I wouldn't necessarily ask for an increase in race rewards but most of what you can do in the game (such as messing around in free roam) hardly nets you any money, leaving you with the only option of "farming" races if you want money (for example to buy some of those crazy multi-million expensive cars).

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Someone on Reddit have written down some of the cars that give credits for skill points. I just made a couple of millions that way. https://i.redd.it/75dxqpojyet11.png

Also remember to download and check the Forza app on your Xbox. I think you get free credits each week for every Forza game.

Oct 27, 2017
Given the nature of wheelspins and skill points per car, tinkering with dozens of cars is unfortunately the most expensive playstyle in the game, and one of the largest consequences of the changes from 3 to 4.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed a game pass and gave this a try, not normally what I seek out. Real enjoying what I've played.

Probably said to death but that opening gave me some uncanny valley heebies at times, the robotic nature and overly chummy nature of the NPCs felt like the start of a Black Mirror episode before they show you what's really wrong.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I do! The sillier, the better. I don't care about boring stuff like plain blue shirts or what have you.

I would actually be more interested in something you actually see while driving.

You'd also only see those in the cockpit view, but sure, add them as well. And furry wheel covers.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing beats the disappointment of 3 garbage clothing items from a super wheelspin.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Holy Crap, going back and forth between FH4 and Motorsport 7 is killing me. Lol I feel like I get better at playing FH4 after I've played 7 but I get awful at 7 after playing FH4.

Its so weird to me that I love the racing (variety, arcade, offroad) of FH4 much more than the sim like racing of 7, but the more linear progression in 7 is almost making me enjoy it more. It's crazy how the structure can play such a big part in my enjoyment of these games.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, there are a lot of minor problems with the game that should be relatively easy to fix, like an option to leave online team race after the race, but nah, seems like Playground doesn't give a fuck because they don't even acknowledge these problems or say anything at all.

Yep, post launch QOL improvements are always non existent in PG games : /

I just wish they would give more importance to improving the user experience... sadly they dont seem to care or not even listen to the community for feedback.

Its a shame because this is a fantastic game plagued with stupid/short sighted decisions that can be easily fixed.

Oct 27, 2017
Thoroughly enjoying the game so far. I think I like it more than any of the other games up to this point, but can't put my finger on why. Maybe it really just is the setting, which I feel they've absolutely nailed. I live in a City but still only a 5 minute drive from a lot of places that look a lot like some of the locations in the game, especially around the reservoir.

I assume that I need to get through and beyond the early game structure before I experience the season changes? At the moment I've transitioned from Autumn to Winter via the Horizon events, so I assume I need to do the event for all 4 seasons before it "opens up" to the "live world" in that regard?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Hell no, I love it. I was so disappointed in 2 getting stuck with the generic white dude (could you change it?). In 4, I've got cute outfits for each season and I'm into it lol

I assume that I need to get through and beyond the early game structure before I experience the season changes? At the moment I've transitioned from Autumn to Winter via the Horizon events, so I assume I need to do the event for all 4 seasons before it "opens up" to the "live world" in that regard?

Correct. And it'll blend pretty well for you because we're in Spring now

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yep, post launch QOL improvements are always non existent in PG games : /

I just wish they would give more importance to improving the user experience... sadly they dont seem to care or not even listen to the community for feedback.

Its a shame because this is a fantastic game plagued with stupid/short sighted decisions that can be easily fixed.

Exactly, and the thing that I find funny about all of this is that PG keeps saying they want to become the best developer on the market. Well, this is definitely not they way to do it. Release your game and then just abandon it and the community and move on to the next project.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no, I love it. I was so disappointed in 2 getting stuck with the generic white dude (could you change it?). In 4, I've got cute outfits for each season and I'm into it lol

Correct. And it'll blend pretty well for you because we're in Spring now

But what if you didn't have cute outfits for each season, because you were unlucky in the spins?

Wouldn't it be so much better if you didn't need luck to customize your character?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's faster too. You can get around 40 mph in reverse and 60ish going forwards so you're contributing 100mph every few seconds. Compared to say 30 seconds to do one run of 200mph

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Another tip is with danger sign jumps, where you can, after you've launched over one turn around and go over it in the opposite direction, and you still get a jump score even though you're using it as a jump the wrong way around. You basically get double the amount of jump score.

Where you can't do that, instead of driving all the way back around and into position for a jump, just fast travel to the most convenient road instead. That's often far quicker than having to turn around and drive back to a good spot.

What glitch? That might actually make me come back to the game if it does something interesting.

Glitch is patched now I'm afraid.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
But what if you didn't have cute outfits for each season, because you were unlucky in the spins?

Wouldn't it be so much better if you didn't need luck to customize your character?

As long as it's free to me some kind of way, sure. I don't pay for DLC ever, so I like getting it free via MTX systems.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Holy Crap, going back and forth between FH4 and Motorsport 7 is killing me. Lol I feel like I get better at playing FH4 after I've played 7 but I get awful at 7 after playing FH4.

Its so weird to me that I love the racing (variety, arcade, offroad) of FH4 much more than the sim like racing of 7, but the more linear progression in 7 is almost making me enjoy it more. It's crazy how the structure can play such a big part in my enjoyment of these games.

I went back to FM7 just to redeem credits and play a little more (I think I put maybe an hour or two into the game total?) and wow does it feel way crappier than Horizon 4 on PC. Like, never mind the changes to career mode or the mods or car collector levels or whatever: even the simple act of NAVIGATING THE MENUS feels like you're swimming in molasses and the load times are ridiculously long. And this is a whole year after launch. I never thought I'd see the day where a Horizon game performs better on PC than a Motorsport but the difference is stark. At this rate I can't imagine going back to Motorsport unless I forced myself to do so.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I went back to FM7 just to redeem credits and play a little more (I think I put maybe an hour or two into the game total?) and wow does it feel way crappier than Horizon 4 on PC. Like, never mind the changes to career mode or the mods or car collector levels or whatever: even the simple act of NAVIGATING THE MENUS feels like you're swimming in molasses and the load times are ridiculously long. And this is a whole year after launch. I never thought I'd see the day where a Horizon game performs better on PC than a Motorsport but the difference is stark. At this rate I can't imagine going back to Motorsport unless I forced myself to do so.

I'm on an X1, but I feel like the menus work pretty good besides the long loading times but my FH4 on X1S is pretty damn slow as well... I'm sure PC is a different story though

Oct 27, 2017

A simple fix for the whole character customization/wheelspin/progession thing would be for the player to have an option to "drive for skill points" the regular way for car skill points, and "drive for character customization" customization points which can be fed into a wheelspin or another cosmetic delivery system. Let the player decide where their skill chain results should be fed into, everyone wins.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just got it last night. There was this "hidden" house (forget where now, bottom right side of the map) I also found that had a long driveway that I needed to finish it up!

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Man, I have been playing this game entirely too much. I too love to dress up my avatar in different clothing that fits whatever season we are on, I dunno, just a fun little addition.

Also, we need to get some ForzaEra shit going on. We can create our own "Race Wars!"

Dom_at_Race_Wars_-_Furious_7.jpg

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
A simple fix for the whole character customization/wheelspin/progession thing would be for the player to have an option to "drive for skill points" the regular way for car skill points, and "drive for character customization" customization points which can be fed into a wheelspin or another cosmetic delivery system. Let the player decide where their skill chain results should be fed into, everyone wins.

I think it should be even simpler. Put the custimization items in a shop. Let the player spend CR/FP on the clothes they want.

I don't see how throwing these things into a slot machine improves the player experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it should be even simpler. Put the custimization items in a shop. Let the player spend CR/FP on the clothes they want.

I don't see how throwing these things into a slot machine improves the player experience.

They could, but the slot machine doesn't have a visible price tag other than a one-digit number (1 spin). If they assigned CR to cosmetics people would be railing at the prices.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In quality mode this game is fucking gorgeous on X. This is my first 4K game, but the level of detail is incredible. Cast wheels have a speckle to them. The road textures are gloriously sharp. Taillights glow and you can make out individual ribbing and decoration. The giant board when you finish a race actually looks like a screen now. I kind of want to go performance mode to feel the game in 60FPS but this eye candy is going to be hard to give up.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
They could, but the slot machine doesn't have a visible price tag other than a one-digit number (1 spin). If they assigned CR to cosmetics people would be railing at the prices.

That only really matters if the system is designed to manipulate players rather than delight them.

If the system exists because they think a lot of players get joy from customizing their avatars, Then just make a lot of customization items and sell them cheaply.

If it's meant to be about "pride and accomplishment", make some of the items more expensive and/or lock them behind a certain level or accomplishment.

What's the real value in the current system that hides how potentially expensive it currently is to get the customization items we want? When people spend a ton of time and CR farming for wheelspins, and get a bunch of horns for their trouble, I think the pricetag is plenty visible.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The James Bond Seasonal is once again annoying as you always start in the back half and everyone drives the same car so you have to pass all the cars while being stuck in traffic unlike the top two people.

I do hate the way Forza hasn't evolved it's race structures in a decade.

This is a huge problem in my opinion. I mean in Horizon it's less so than in Motorsport, since you're not dealing with fewer opponents, but in general it's a problem in Forza and racing games in general.
Some will now say "you don't have to win", but in FM7 for example, you get less progression points and then might have to do another 5-race event to progress, because you didn't finish 1st in the championship. But even if it weren't punishing in any way, then you get other people saying "why race at all if it doesn't matter where you finish".

I think "close racing" is the most fun, but for that to occur you need a player with a certain minimum skill (or rewinds, but "cheating" it, might get annoying and feel less rewarding). If you have a player with good skills that needs to finish first, he won't have "close racing" since he needs to be considerable better than the AI to overtake 7 or more opponents in ~3 laps. So, then the races would need to be longer, but this would make the whole game much longer and rob Forza of its strong points with so many different environments and cars to experience.

A better solution would be to reward the player "relative" to his skill level. Like how good is he, what difficulty is he playing on and how many positions did he gain at what race length. The "how good is he" and "how long was the race" needs to scale differently as it would suck to reward someone who just realized that braking can be advantages the same way a real pro racer gets rewarded, nor do you want to tell the new-to-racing-games player "good work, now it's only 200 more races to afford the Ferrari 488 you want".
In general, a race where the AI cars are just as fast and skilled as the player and the player can gain 3 positions in 3 laps, should be rewarded higher than playing on a difficulty so low that the player wins with a 10 or more second lead from last place within 3 laps.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You can feel individual aspects of your tunes take effect, from differences in weight distribution, weight reduction, added downforce, gearing, tires etc, but at the same time each vehicle operates within its own confines, strengths and weaknesses, giving it unique characteristics.

For example, yes the McLaren F1 GT has blistering acceleration and speed, but it's never going to handle as well as a Senna. The downforce, aerodynamics and braking simply don't offer enough to compensate for the intense speed, no matter how comprehensively you tune, thus you'll always have slower braking and less pin point accurate handling compared to a Senna.

Conversely, the Senna may handle like it's magnetised to the ground and can pull off gravity defying manoeuvres and stoppage with ease, but it's always going to be lacking somewhat in speed and acceleration compared to a tuned F1 GT, no matter what tuning or upgrades you put on it. Clearly the chassis itself, and the incredible downforce it offers, is limiting its brute force speed.

And these sorts of differences exist all over, even comparing vehicles from the same manufacturer, eg an F50 GT vs a F40 C vs a FXXK. Or a Zonda R vs a Zonda C. A Sesto Elemento vs an Aventador or Huracan and so on and so on.
Some of the stats are really fudged. I tuned a 2000GT-R and while you can put tires on it that make it turn at over 1g, it can't brake from 100km/h to 0 in under 40m, no matter what you do with the brake balance and pressure of carbon ceramic upgraded discs. Braking from 100 to 0 at exactly 1g would take 39.327 meters. The Senna on the other hand can brake from 100 to 0 in 26 meters (that's over 1.5g at speeds where downforce is almost non-existent), both on the race tire compound.

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
I seriously hate the laracer challange with the Lancia Delta, i really dislike this thing of being forced to cut the track to achieve the target time.

Spitz

Oct 27, 2017
Finally managed to 3 Star that fuc.... last drift zone i was missing my thumb hurts now but now all Achievements are done now.
This game is so damn good and addictive my GOTY that's for sure. Now i can really start AC Odyssey and only do the daily missions and the weekly challenge in FH4.

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on the Freeroam Rush events in team adventure? I seriously can't stand them. I get that in theory it's fun to blaze your own path to the finsh but it's so fucking messy.

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
While here it's the economy that every one complains about; on the official forum it's Freeroam Rush. No one likes it.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on the Freeroam Rush events in team adventure? I seriously can't stand them. I get that in theory it's fun to blaze your own path to the finsh but it's so fucking messy.
I don't like it as well. It's really annoying. I would just want everyone to teleport to the next race/playground game than to free roam rush there. That's why I'm kinda dreading going into Team Adventure. Not to mention there's no more voting.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
While here it's the economy that every one complains about; on the official forum it's Freeroam Rush. No one likes it.

I cannot stand Freeroam rush. I wish there was an online adventure without it.

I don't like it as well. It's really annoying. I would just want everyone to teleport to the next race/playground game than to free roam rush there. That's why I'm kinda dreading going into Team Adventure. Not to mention there's no more voting.

This too, I loved the voting

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I actually like them, but I feel they should be treated as a bonus round instead of the most prevalent race type. Also they Give a big advantage to AWD.