• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Well, you have a good point there. Definitely 60fps was one of the main reasons Motorsport plays better for me.
Then again, as already pointed out, it'll depend on how Horizon 4 physics will turn out. They definitely felt like a dumbed down version of Motorsport up until now, and not just because of 30fps. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It IS an arcade racer after all. But it's all about finding the right balance in that regard.

Oh well, at least the game will look amazing. And I really hope they can deliver the rock-solid 60fps Motorsport games can.

That's honest-to-god one of the main reasons I love those games so much. They never, ever drop a frame since like 4 (5 was an exception, being a launch game and all, and even still it only dropped a frame every few laps). That's, like, pure video game bliss.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's always awesome reading peoples thoughts who are playing Forza Horizon for the first time.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
When I got a one x from mrs claus I immediately bought FH3 and all the expansions. I was really looking forward to playing it coming from the PS4 camp. I had a hard time getting into and found the HDR to be "dark" for some reason.
Any tips from veterans to help me get into the game or improve the HDR?
Thanks. I really want to get into this series!

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
These guys get it. They have an attention to detail that most devs dont. Really glad MS bought these guys. Cant wait to see what theyre able to do in the future

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
When I got a one x from mrs claus I immediately bought FH3 and all the expansions. I was really looking forward to playing it coming from the PS4 camp. I had a hard time getting into and found the HDR to be "dark" for some reason.
Any tips from veterans to help me get into the game or improve the HDR?
Thanks. I really want to get into this series!

Get the first game, it's the most tighly structured. Horizon games get more open-ended the further you go. FH3 didn't quite gel with me either, the blueprint system in particular. "How do you want to race today?" I don't know, you tell me!

Bleedorang3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish they had gone more arcadey and 'fun-first' with this Forza :(. I still feel like games like Wreckfest and Onrush as more fun games than Forza Horizon, owing to their mechanics and driving styles.

Toxik

Banned
May 22, 2018
Really wish they had gone more arcadey and 'fun-first' with this Forza :(. I still feel like games like Wreckfest and Onrush as more fun games than Forza Horizon, owing to their mechanics and driving styles.
I love that the physics are complex and cars still feel grounded in reality. They nailed the perfect mix of arcade and reality.

Apr 6, 2018
Is the only option in this game going to be racing with and against other players all the time? I am not familiar with Forza so forgive me.
nope the game could switch from multiplayer and singleplayer in any moments, and the other player couldn't interact with you unless you choose so to prevent griefing. And it even features a six players coop

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Forza Horizon 4: Ralph Fulton from Playground Games will be on-hand to reveal more about Seasons in Forza Horizon 4, but better yet, Inside Xbox will transition to a special hour-plus long broadcast from Playground Games in the UK, where the team will reveal never-before-seen gameplay for the Summer Season in FH4.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Looks stunning.
I'm debating getting a one-month Gamepass sub on launch for this on PC.

But I do hope they radically revamped the progression structure of the game, seeing as Forza Horizon 3 did absolutely nothing for me. It was just.. kinda boring.

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Looks stunning.
I'm debating getting a one-month Gamepass sub on launch for this on PC.

But I do hope they radically revamped the progression structure of the game, seeing as Forza Horizon 3 did absolutely nothing for me. It was just.. kinda boring.

Yeah, the progression system really needs a revamp of some sort. It completely killed Horizon 3 for me. Give me something like Horizon 1.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I've only played FH3. How was progression in the first game?

In practice it wasn't that different. As you progressed you opened up new events. But it was tied to different wristband colours. In later games it was linked to opening up festival upgrades. Either way every so often new events were opened up.

And it was tied together in FH1 by an embarrassing dude-bro misogynist story.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played FH3. How was progression in the first game?

The career mode was a lot more streamlined in terms of progression, you felt like you were actually progressing. As you beat races, you obtained difference coloured wristbands and faced bosses in races. In the sequels it felt like an endless grind where it didn't feel like you were really accomplishing anything other than winning races and knocking items off your map. I think rather than starting from level 1 and going up, you started at level 200 or so, and made your way down to number 1, which at least gave you some sort of end goal.

This is all my opinion of course, I'm sure some folks prefer the sequels when it came to progression but for me they were full of grind.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
The career mode was a lot more streamlined in terms of progression, you felt like you were actually progressing. As you beat races, you obtained difference coloured wristbands and faced bosses in races. In the sequels it felt like an endless grind where it didn't feel like you were really accomplishing anything other than winning races and knocking items off your map. I think rather than starting from level 1 and going up, you started at level 200 or so, and made your way down to number 1, which at least gave you some sort of end goal.

This is all my opinion of course, I'm sure some folks prefer the sequels when it came to progression but for me they were full of grind.

Grind usually tells me people aren't enjoying the core gameplay. If You're not enjoying the races, you're not really enjoying the game.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Grind usually tells me people aren't enjoying the core gameplay. If You're not enjoying the races, you're not really enjoying the game.

I'm pretty sure I enjoy the core gameplay as someone who's been playing Forza since 2 and getting every other Forza (mainline and Horizon) at launch while putting a good amount of time in each. I can enjoy the gameplay while at the same time not be a fan of the progression system.

Get the first game, it's the most tighly structured. Horizon games get more open-ended the further you go. FH3 didn't quite gel with me either, the blueprint system in particular. "How do you want to race today?" I don't know, you tell me!

I'm in the same boat. Hope they ditch the blueprint system altogether. Fingers crossed. Can't wait to play FH4 this fall nonetheless.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

This gif really reminds me of why I hate arcade racing games :(

I wish there was a game like this with more realistic physics.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Most of the drivers were male. You could only play as a guy. And the many women in story scenes were clearly there for their physical attributes. It wasn't a major offender compared to many games of the era, but it wasn't great.
WHAT?! You mean that one cutscene at the beginning, where a nice girl telling you how the festival thing works? As far as I remember, she had absolutely normal clothes, with absolutely normal "physical attributes".

I guess for you something like old NFS games, must be some misogynist holy grail of racing games....

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Most of the drivers were male. You could only play as a guy. And the many women in story scenes were clearly there for their physical attributes. It wasn't a major offender compared to many games of the era, but it wasn't great.

Oh trust me, the new game will definitely has the option to play as female like Forza Motorsport 7.

Microsoft is one of the few gaming publishers, hell, even tech companies in general that has successfully push forward the concept of inclusiveness in any of their products.

Cases in point:
1. Every press conference they held after the new Sayta became the CEO. Every single one of them has at least one high level female presenters.
2. They owns the Latino market.
3. Phil is strongly pushing for fighting harrasment in gaming.
4. Female are not ever a rare sight in Microsoft's exclusive.
5. The fact that adaptive controller exists.
6. Gears 5 has a female lead.

There are many other things that makes me think that Microsoft is the most progressive tech company right now. And the amazing parts is Microsoft doesn't ever bow down or even face the backlash for these decisions. Is there a need for improvements? Yes and it always will be. But you gotta give them credit where credit's due.

Toxik

Banned
May 22, 2018
More options is always great but only being able to play as a male is not misogynist. That is very extreme. Car festivals are always male dominated, men are just generally more interested in that stuff than women..has and probably always will be the case.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Misogynist? Please elaborate.

I'm one of the biggest fans out there of Forza Horizon, but that game has some weird subtext about the festival organizer character in relation to the player-driver. Someone supposedly just at her job and with authority over your character laying heavily on submissive-attraction semiotics in the script/behaviors, including the implications about her relationship to the current festival champion, just felt forced/weird and unnecessary. It ramps up toward the end of the game, and it felt increasingly forced even to someone in the "target" demographic. There are also little things like a (rare) post-race animations where a pair of male festival attendee slap the ass of one of the female race presenters, and she turns around shocked as they continue walking by. Yes, the game has some very odd inclusions. I don't care if it was to fit a festival tone, it left a negative impression on me.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Looks amazing.

Really looking forward to it and am really looking forward to checking out the HDR.