• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair (also an owner of both!), GTS needs that free DLC because, even now, it was about 4x fewer cars and less tracks than Forza had at launch. GTS can get the same 'free DLC' for the next three years and still not match the amount of cars that are in Forza. The updates have been great and have definitely improved the game loads in terms of content. But let's not put them on the same level and pretend that the free stuff added to GTS takes it above what's just on the disc when you buy Forza. They're night and day.
Exactly quality over quantity.
90 % of the cars in forza i never touch.
I have almost all cars in gt sport, i miss a couple of them 20mil cars, but i also use most of them( singele player etc).
But the way gt sport works in sport mode makes me use only a couple of them. I have a couple of favorites per group.
Sure i understand people who like the car list of forza, i also was like that but after forza 4 i lost my love for forza.
And fm7 is one of my least favorite in the series.
Fm2 and fm4 are number one and two.
But gt sport is now my all time favorite gt game. And also my game of generation so far.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly quality over quantity.
90 % of the cars in forza i never touch.
I have almost all cars in gt sport, i miss a couple of them 20mil cars, but i also use most of them( singele player etc).
But the way gt sport works in sport mode makes me use only a couple of them. I have a couple of favorites per group.
Sure i understand people who like the car list of forza, i also was like that but after forza 4 i lost my love for forza.
And fm7 is one of my least favorite in the series.
Fm2 and fm4 are number one and two.
But gt sport is now my all time favorite gt game. And also my game of generation so far.

Cool, glad you like it so much!

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think his comments about the gulf in overall competitiveness between using the wheel in GTS (strong advantage) vs Forza (more about preference, w/ many top players use controller) is fair and insightful.

You might want to rewatch that (around 7 minutes) because that's not quite what he said. In fact it's almost the opposite.

He says there's balance between the controller and the wheel so you can be good on both in GT Sport. Whereas on Forza it's not about preferences if you want to compete at the top end, you need to use a controller.

All the top FRC players use a controller. If you've watched any of the previous Forza esports events you will see that as well.

I'm glad he calls out the better time attack mode in Forza, just because that's a more recent addition (and I love the dynamic out-of-bounds markers as a general improvement that I hope GTS adds down the line). The lack of any sort of comprehensive online leaderboards in GTS doesn't bother me per-se, but that's a big omission. Having leaderboards for every flag and every car group in Forza is a game in itself.

This I absolutely agree with. It's a glaring omission as far as GT goes. When they (re)introduced it in Forza last month it's what brought be back to Forza having not touched it for months. Being able to dip in and out of time trial modes for short bursts is great.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Love his videos and streams. He was a big Forza players that's been playing a bunch of GTS since it came out.

I thought I wouldn't like GTS, but it really did do what it wanted to well. FM7 is massive and I loved the series for over 10 years, but I fell off it pretty quickly after release. I'd love to see it actually get motorsport elements that are in GTS that add depth to the racing.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
My main complaint with Gran Turismo will always be that Polyphony Digital got to the top of the game and then stopped chasing perfection.

There are areas where GT Sport is vastly better than Forza 7. One such area would be fuel economy and how its management can be used in race strategy and how it applies when it comes to difference in pit strategy.
There was a focus on online play and having a FIA penalty system implemented on the game that other areas have struggled like single player, the GT mode, more cars (and it is difficult to count one car in two groups as two cars when there is such limited content) and tracks. Having weather would have been nice because it is something that was there in the previous generation.

I am a huge supporter of having a lot of single player content. Even in previous GT games where AI was way worse than this is, grinding to get more cars so that I could customize them was something I always enjoyed and kept me coming back to the game.

Turn 10 has more content and they tend to make games at a much faster rate. My biggest complaint is how slow they are to adding some features. Weather did not make it to the game until Forza Motorsport 6 and even in Forza Motorsport 7 it is not available on every track. As mentioned above, not having a fuel economy system installed does not help when it comes to strategy.

In the end, it comes to preference. I play both I feel that Forza just does more for me in terms of content, a deep career mode with vastly better AI. My hope going forward for this game is that they implement fuel economy, a day and night cycle as opposed to simply time of day choice and dynamic weather availability on each track.

For Polyphony Digital, I would love more cars at launch, more tracks, more modes, better AI and a return of weather and day/night changes.

At current, Forza does it for me.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
You might want to rewatch that (around 7 minutes) because that's not quite what he said. In fact it's almost the opposite.

He says there's balance between the controller and the wheel so you can be good on both in GT Sport. Whereas on Forza it's not about preferences if you want to compete at the top end, you need to use a controller.

All the top FRC players use a controller. If you've watched any of the previous Forza esports events you will see that as well.

That's a fair clarification. I picked up on his saying you'll have a better time with a wheel in GTS, though you're totally right that he goes on to say there's a gameplay balance between the wheel and controller there where the same player can thrive with both, where he sees a lot of top Forza players just relying on the controller. I think I mis-"read" that latter part because I know how many top times (like, 4th percentile) rely on the wheel in Forza.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
No surprise GTS won in the Single-player front when it really nailed it to how to teach the gamer to be a driver... there are probably over 30 hours of good SP content without counting the GT League update that close to double that.
The hyperbole at launch made a lot of users things GTS SP content was non-existent or terrible bad when it was really great and focused in what is really important to a racing game.

But I feel something if off with eSport... I need to watch the video to see the points but I can't do that right now (work place).

Deleted member 11426

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Single Player - Forza 7
Weather - Forza 7
Microtransactions - GT Sport

I disagree about single player. Forza has a bigger wall of races against AI that will take dozens of hours, but that's it. GTS has some of that now, but also challenge scenarios, driving school, and circuit training.

I think it does a better job at using single player to train you a bit more than just aggressively racing against AI from midfield in a few laps.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Single Player - Forza 7
Weather - Forza 7
AI - Forza 7
Microtransactions - GT Sport

Excellent contribution to the thread. May I follow you to ensure I'm updated every time you post in the future? I'd hate to miss them.

That's a fair clarification. I picked up on his saying you'll have a better time with a wheel in GTS, though you're totally right that he goes on to say there's a gameplay balance between the wheel and controller there where the same player can thrive with both, where he sees a lot of top Forza players just relying on the controller. I think I mis-"read" that latter part because I know how many top times (like, 4th percentile) rely on the wheel in Forza.

You might want to check that as a lot of the guys on the top of the leaderboards are FRC players. It's difficult to extract top times using a wheel because the FFB is a bit on the wonky side so it's counter-intuitive in some ways as you approach the limit. That said, it's fun with a wheel now (it wasn't at launch, the FFB was horribly broken) as long as you're not looking to set records.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
You might want to check that as a lot of the guys on the top of the leaderboards are FRC players. It's difficult to extract top times using a wheel because the FFB is a bit on the wonky side. That said, it's fun with a wheel now (it wasn't at launch, the FFB was horribly broken) as long as you're not looking to set records.

I won't lie, I was one of those people with the recently-released G920, and I had to physically modify my brake pedal for it to be acceptable on the wheel side, so I had a pretty soured experience with the wheel even before FFB problems cam into play, lol. I've liked the updates, but I didn't really get the momentum of my sessions using the wheel from the start.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
GTSport online is so good that I really want to get a new wheel. It's so nice not seeing giant pileups in the first corner.

Also GTS has Jimmy Broadbent to commentate, so it wins esports on that alone.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Cool video. I don't have forza as I didn't go with Xbox this gen so can't comment on it.

I don't do single player in racers because I find racing AI boring lol. I do hope that one day the sp content can played in lobbies. An online Sunday cup tournament would be amazing.

I think GTS nails the feeling of being in a race better than anything on consoles due to how the ranking and sportsmanship systems work.The penalty system helps a lot too.

When you do qualify and race people that are your level it's a sight to behold and you start to think like a racing driver.
You have to think a few corners ahead when it comes to planning a move because everyone is somewhat equal. It ends up being a battle skills and how well you cope under certain situations.

You end up looking for different for strengths and weaknesses between the cars as you race. You look for mistakes and try and take advantage because it could be your only chance to catch a pack, or have an opportunity to put in a fast lap before a pit stop and jump a group of cars.

It's an amazing experience. Because of this it's the only game this gen that I can come back to because the races are so dynamic in how they play out.

Whenever the next Forza comes out I fully expect it to have its version of the sports mode too.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
To be honest, they kind of don't because the rain is a scripted sequence in Forza 7 and pit stops in that game suck. TOD is nice but most online races never go much past 20 minutes and Forza lacks a lot of the racecraft you get in GT Sport. It's like the Daniel Ricciardo of sim-cade racers.

The fact that it's tied to lap# or whatever doesn't really change things from a gameplay perspective though. Rain happens in some events and not in others.
It's still dynamic, it still affects physics. Yeah, pitstops being the way they are removes a lot of potential.

People used to make a huge deal about dynamic weather not being in Forza and GT and when they were included nobody cared.

And again, i'm surprised the video completely ignores the customisation and car setup aspects.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Forza just really needs to work on making your car feel planted to the road. Sometimes you get that sensation when driving, but not nearly enough. I hope they fix that element when they launch with the new gen. It's an area gt really trounces forza.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Forza just really needs to work on making your car feel planted to the road. Sometimes you get that sensation when driving, but not nearly enough. I hope they fix that element when they launch with the new gen. It's an area gt really trounces forza.

Interesting, SuperGT thought that was an area that Forza did a better job of overall.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It's probably very subjective, but the handling in Forza was always weird. Feeling a car is the most important thing to me, and I think GT does that better. And I'm talking about the gamepad gameplay. I don't know about the wheel since I've only played GT with it.

Still, PD needs to get their shit together when it comes to cars and tracks, I can't believe how much time they needed for Sport and it ended up having less than 200 cars. Is Playground bigger than PD or what? I know Kaz is a perfectionist, but it still takes way to long for them to make anything.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Graphics - gt sport (with ease!)
Online - gt sport ( not even any compatition from fm7)
Lootcrates - fm7

See we can do this both ways ;)

Aren't lootcrates no longer a thing in FM7? Having to reach to make a false point doesn't really help your argument.

That said, god I hate these Forza vs. Gran Turismo comparisons any time they're brought up. 'You can only like on and not the other' seems to be super common sentiment in each game's community, even though each game is chockablock with merit (and also both are riddled with flaws, and far from perfect).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Not that I think it's fair to boil a game down to the hardware, but the haptic feedback on the Xbox controller triggers make a big difference for communicating wheel grip on top of the underlying road texture/engine vibrations. On a controller, I feel a lot more of a connection with racing-class cars in Forza as a result.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Haven't played 7 but here are some things I don't like about it. It may have more cars than 6 overall but they cut out some cars in favor for their more powerful versions. I loved driving with the Cayman GTS and prefer it to the GT4, but the GT4 is the only option you have in 7. Same with the Abarth 500. They removed it in favor of that Bipisto 595 faux racecar thing. I like driving with cars I might one day be able to afford.

The sound in Forza has also dropped off in my opinion. The LFA sounds like sex. Yet use it in Forza 6 you wouldn't know it. Where in 4 they nailed it perfectly. Sound mixing in Forza is still leagues better than GT but I think that muffled sound like you are hearing it at a distance is preferable. Forza 4 did it the best and I actually feel GTS is closer to that than the modern Forza games, which feels like they stuck a very expensive recording device in the exhaust of these cars and play the uncompressed files for you in the game. They still sound nice and blend better than GTS but it's a little too strong if you ask me.

My last critique is the driver animation. GTS>>>>>>>>>>Forza. You see the driver turning the wheel from lock to lock and you can actually see them change gear, with the shifter actually moving!!!!!

After that the lighting, bake > dynamic imo.

I used to be a Forza guy and still think 4 is the best console racer of all time but GT was just too much this time around.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't lootcrates no longer a thing in FM7? Having to reach to make a false point doesn't really help your argument.

That said, god I hate these Forza vs. Gran Turismo comparisons any time they're brought up. 'You can only like on and not the other' seems to be super common sentiment in each game's community, even though each game is chockablock with merit (and also both are riddled with flaws, and far from perfect).
I like both for sure. GT Sport is my go to right now though. It's good.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
They succeeded in turning gamers into car lovers !
Wait..

Btw I agree, GTS could be it's attract mode only and I wouldn't regret my purchase

Curious choice of bullet points in the video though.
No word on customisation ?
Dynamic weather and TOD, however limited, in fm7 account to nothing ?
Unfortunately almost all competitive racers only want perfect, dry conditions. Breaks my heart.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yea I can't really take this review seriously. Both these should be switched.

There is a reason people who have no interest in multiplayer tend to be disappointed with GTS, myself included.

It's one thing to say "I have a different opinion" and another to say that.

He's stating things from his perspective. For what it's worth, prior to GT Sport his channel used to be 100% dedicated to Forza. He plays both games a lot (these two games are pretty much the only games he plays). You might want to watch the video and his YouTube channel to gain some perspective.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't get the hate towards the GTS single player campaign. It doesn't have the sheer number of tracks or cars, there's no denying that. However, what you do and play is actually fun and varied/interesting.

I'm still a SP only player in GTS and it's my game of the generation. I'll take GTS over GT5 any day of the week.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They both seem like really great games, but I've always preferred the way driving feels in GT over Forza's (except for when I want a more arcadey experience, which FH3 nailed).

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, SuperGT thought that was an area that Forza did a better job of overall.

Not heavy on gt....but I've always felt i could hit a corner with more anger in it than forza. Team ten is big on breaking before the corner and a skid out occurs if you push too hard where as i felt gt let you correct yourself further into the turn.

Idk how that is in gt now since i haven't played since 5.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His Forza videos are hysterical. I swear the entire forza playerbase is a bunch of 6 year olds playing it like its destruction derby or something.

BUT thats what makes his forza vids great. he gets rammed twice. spins out and ends up in last place in every other race and then recovers to finish in the top 3 anyway.

in GT Sports, he usually starts and finishes in the same spot give or take a few places. it's kinda boring to watch.

Regardless, GT Sports online experience is something that should have been lauded by the critics. it's revolutionized online racing on consoles and deserves accolades but instead it was blasted by reviewers and is sitting at 75 on metacritic. absolutely ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Love his videos. Though his GTS ones are generally always considerably more competitive and full of less carnage and ridiculousness compared to the Forza ones. Great comparison video overall.

This. I think anyone who would immediately dismiss his opinion is really doing a stupid move.

This guy has played an absolute ton of both games and put up with the very worst online interations I've ever seen in a driving game (and he races very fairly and always quick to point out his own errors). So much so, it's put me off playing either game in MP mode. Just like in real life, there are too many idiots on the road.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His Forza videos are hysterical. I swear the entire forza playerbase is a bunch of 6 year olds playing it like its destruction derby or something.

BUT thats what makes his forza vids great. he gets rammed twice. spins out and ends up in last place in every other race and then recovers to finish in the top 3 anyway.

in GT Sports, he usually starts and finishes in the same spot give or take a few places. it's kinda boring to watch.

Regardless, GT Sports online experience is something that should have been lauded by the critics. it's revolutionized online racing on consoles and deserves accolades but instead it was blasted by reviewers and is sitting at 75 on metacritic. absolutely ridiculous.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I think the racing genre is one genre that I feel gaming journalists often misrepresent or do a disservice to. I don't think many necessarily fully appreciate or understand what many racing enthusiasts actually want or appreciate in their games, and instead appeal to more casual or fanciful elements or tastes. That and watching many video reviews, let's plays, previews etc, you often get a sense that most actually don't know how to race properly either, and thus heavily rely on crutches, hand holding assists, casual benefits, racing lines, difficulty modifiers and so on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these improvements really make me want to pick up GTS to be honest, it sounds like an awesome package.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of sounding arrogant, I think the racing genre is one genre that I feel gaming journalists often misrepresent or do a disservice to. I don't think many necessarily fully appreciate or understand what many racing enthusiasts actually want or appreciate in their games, and instead appeal to more casual or fanciful elements or tastes. That and watching many video reviews, let's plays, previews etc, you often get a sense that most actually don't know how to race properly either, and thus heavily rely on crutches, hand holding assists, casual benefits, racing lines, difficulty modifiers and so on.
that sounds about right. DriveClub is at 71 on metacritic and the reviews came out before the launch online fiasco.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
FM7 wins by default for me simply because it's on PC :P

But I guess I should check out GTS some more, I'm an offline gamer and actually didn't know it had improved that much for people like me, it always seemed to cater to the online gamers way too much.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone knows real races are only 3 laps each

Deleted member 11426

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC

Forza doesnt do anything to teach new players how to race properly. The single player actually encourages aggressive shitty driving against the AI and the drivatars probably suck as a result too. The qualifying and driver ratings in GTS do a better job pairing up a lobby. The ghosting is amazing too, as lapped trolls cant wreck the leaders in GTS.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forza doesnt do anything to teach new players how to race properly. The single player actually encourages aggressive shitty driving against the AI and the drivatars probably suck as a result too. The qualifying and driver ratings in GTS do a better job pairing up a lobby. The ghosting is amazing too, as lapped trolls cant wreck the leaders in GTS.
Yep. I have been commenting about ghosting lapped players on his videos for almost a year now, and it's crazy how Turn10 still hasnt done anything to stop it. they have the ghosting technology, and yet they do nothing. they are essentially keeping it in there on purpose. they know their target audience and they dont want to deny them their fun.

this was a problem going back to Forza 6 too. they had all these years to fix it and they chose not to.

but hey, thats good enough for an 86 on metacritic.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

The penalty system in GT Sport makes for boring races. Majority of the time it penalizes both drivers or allocates blame to the wrong party.

They have tweaking it but the issues persist with every update. It makes it far easier to defend a position.

mcfizzle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not going to compare GTS to Forza 7 because I don't own Forza and haven't played it. The only thing I want to add that I didn't hear was how much fun and satisfying it is to drive time trials in VR. It's a level of immersion that you simply cannot get without VR. I can hot lap Nordschleife, Le Mans, Interlagos, and Red Bull Ring all day and be completely happy. If at some point they add Spa(likely) and Watkins Glen (extremely unlikely) I will die a happy man.

I would love to have the track list from Forza, though. GT needs more North American tracks in it's repertoire.