• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
This is not the first time i have seen this forum so incredibly jealous and petty. Sometimes under the guise of critique/advice.
Also shame on Kotaku

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry but... what is wrong with the house?
Do I need to post pictures of my own house for everyone to judge as well?

I have seen houses that is a lot worse from people who is seen as "established" by the mainstream.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but... what is wrong with the house?
Do I need to post pictures of my own house for everyone to judge as well?

I have seen houses that is a lot worse from people who is seen as "established" by the mainstream.

I suspect OP made their initial post as an "eat the rich" sort of thing, but somehow the kids are being praised? You can never really tell which way streamer threads will go.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Watched the video. Seems like an overreaction? Nothing about that looked awful.
Yeah, seems like a bitter author to me. I was expecting some Jake Paul shit and everything seemed normal? (Aside from the fact that a bunch of kids are living in a mansion but I guess that's normal these days.)

It's both a reminder that even when you've "made it" as an influencer the grind never stops, and also that most people have no idea how to decorate a home like a grown adult/functioning human being.
I don't know who any of these people are but this is some really petty bullshit. The article is a lot more pathetic than a bunch of young people decorating their rooms like young people would. The author seems like a prick.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It doesn't really seem like anyone wants to engage with reasonable arguments and instead just wants to turn it into "u mad because ur poor".

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for telling me all about how cringey these teenagers and their McMansion are, Mr 30-something year old staff writer on a website about kids' toys.

Honestly, in the grand scheme of absurd video game streamer displays of wealth, this doesn't even rank. Extend that to the entertainment industry in general and it definitely doesn't rank. Go look up what Dr Phil's house looks like, if you want to have a bit of a chuckle.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Did you guys know that you can buy all their merch from their store but you have to be quick. BUY FROM THEM PLEASE. BUY MERCH.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for telling me all about how cringey these teenagers and their McMansion are, Mr 30-something year old staff writer on a website about kids' toys.

Honestly, in the grand scheme of absurd video game streamer displays of wealth, this doesn't even rank. Extend that to the entertainment industry in general and it definitely doesn't rank. Go look up what Dr Phil's house looks like, if you want to have a bit of a chuckle.
I just looked that up. Goddamn, now *that's* gaudy.

These kids aren't that bad, to be honest. Sure, they may not have the most "refined" decorating taste/style--and I'm sure as hell not going to be buying their shitty merch any time soon---but I fail to see what's cringe-worthy about a bunch of kids decorating a house that they bought with money that they earned without exploiting anyone (the very antithesis of capitalism, actually) in a way that makes them happy. It's kinda impressive how someone can be punching up and still come across as elitist.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I suspect OP made their initial post as an "eat the rich" sort of thing, but somehow the kids are being praised? You can never really tell which way streamer threads will go.

I guess I have to see myself out from these kind of thread since I do not know if there are any hidden agenda? eh...
I simply watched the video, everything about the house is absolutely fine. These kids made money from gaming (I assume?) so it is only logical that they decorate it with game related stuff. I was expecting a lot more extravagant but no, it's honestly pretty subtle considered their age.

If I had that kind of money in my twenties I would have done a lot worse LOL.

EDIT: I have just read the Kotaku article and GOOD GOD the amount of salt from the writer is unreal.

Last edited:

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
To be fair, my first apartment was the exact same situation as you described. But as you said - "It's obvious these are young guys who have yet to acquire a lot of the things you do as you get older". The reason you and I didn't have those things is because we didn't have the means to do so. It's part of where the fun poking comes from, because they have the means to elevate themselves from living like people in their early 20s with a potentially overdrawn paycheck, and yet their actual living spaces look surprisingly bleak. And they're flaunting it lol.

I didn't think they were flaunting their rooms, just giving a tour. Some of the stuff like the pool and balconies, sure- there's a little flaunting there- but how do you make it not come off that way when you're in a mansion? But I also really don't like making assumptions on people's finances nor laugh at someone's choices where to spend money.

They seemed excited to be living in a new home and wanted to show their fans their setups. That's what I took from the video.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda impressive how someone can be punching up and still come across as elitist.
This is my thing with certain Kotaku writers from time to time, though I guess most former now. But thank you for putting together the words I was looking for.

It's like being shitty and then hiding behind "it's okay because I'm punching up".

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if anything, getting rich off of streaming yourself playing videogames is probably one of the least distasteful ways of getting rich. You exploited no one and had no capital.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
This thread and article reeks of petty adults lol. As this stands, it's just some kid who got rich and bought an expensive house.

Here's the top / first comment form the website of the article post.

Fuck every single person involved in this. I sincerely hope the entire place burns to the ground and they were too fucking stupid to properly insure it.

Nice! Really up-voted too.

Looks like this they got the exact response they wanted not only from their website, but from this one as well. Double feature suckers!

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
In a time of huge economic inequality, where teachers can barely make a living wage and people are losing everything due to a virus and being forced to choose between barely scraping by by continuing working or risking their lives, yeah, people should be getting angry at self-aggrandizing displays of opulence like this, or at least it should be understandable why it would generate cynicism right? If you want to call it sour grapes, okay but that seems like a privileged take that sides with capitalism. Whether you want to be mad at the streamers, or the company, or whoever it is, there is reason to be at the very least uncomfortable. you have that on top of the fact that there doesn't appear to be a single minority in this group, which... why is that? They also shouldn't be infantilized as a defense, I'm sure they know or have the ability to easily find out why the branding is viewed as problematic, these are people in their 20's, not teenagers.
This.

I'm actually quite taken aback by how many posts are celebrating these kids for accumulating wealth. Maybe it's the new "American Dream" to gloat about your mansion and sports cars but to me it absolutely deserves criticism and cynicism.

Sorry if that makes YOU uncomfortable.

That said, the specific angle of the story is definitely a misfire.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, you could fill a country with the rich, the privileged. But sure, pick on these guys I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
In a time of huge economic inequality, where teachers can barely make a living wage and people are losing everything due to a virus and being forced to choose between barely scraping by by continuing working or risking their lives, yeah, people should be getting angry at self-aggrandizing displays of opulence like this, or at least it should be understandable why it would generate cynicism right? If you want to call it sour grapes, okay but that seems like a privileged take that sides with capitalism. Whether you want to be mad at the streamers, or the company, or whoever it is, there is reason to be at the very least uncomfortable. you have that on top of the fact that there doesn't appear to be a single minority in this group, which... why is that? They also shouldn't be infantilized as a defense, I'm sure they know or have the ability to easily find out why the branding is viewed as problematic, these are people in their 20's, not teenagers.
If only the article or at least of the thread actually made any of these points as opposed to "lol they suck at interior design".

When THIS
"Can buy a mansion but you can't buy some fucking sheets or a nice bed frame."

is the level of criticism this is gonna get, yes, I'm gonna call it sour grapes.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If only the article or at least of the thread actually made any of these points as opposed to "lol they suck at interior design".

When THIS
"Can buy a mansion but you can't buy some fucking sheets or a nice bed frame."

is the level of criticism this is gonna get, yes, I'm gonna call it sour grapes.
I guess that's fair, when I was that age I was lucky to be married to someone who had decorating sensibilities, there was sure as shit nobody who taught me that stuff- my money would have went to video games or drugs way before it went to matching sheets or curtains or framed pictures. For me at that age my place was just somewhere I was between working and going out with friends, it wasn't something I took pride in because I knew I wouldn't be there forever or anything. These guys are probably in a similar mental situation.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
This.

I'm actually quite taken aback by how many posts are celebrating these kids for accumulating wealth. Maybe it's the new "American Dream" to gloat about your mansion and sports cars but to me it absolutely deserves criticism and cynicism.

Sorry if that makes YOU uncomfortable.

That said, the specific angle of the story is definitely a misfire.

No one is celebrating. You seem to understand that there's actual issues in the world that deserve criticism and cynicism. This is hardly one of them.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
uh, that isn't that tacky, ya'll. it just has a game room? the funko pops are tucked in the corner in a tasteful glass case?? the rest of the house is pretty minimal and modern??? its really not bad at all imo. especially for early 20 something streamers, i was expecting a lot worse

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You might have a point if I believed for even a second this is what any of the salty people here are upset about.

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, laugh all you want but if I had the money I'd probably recreate the Spencer Mansion from RERemake. With some additional toilets and bathrooms mind you.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting Dr. Phil's house but this looks pretty normal.

Also LOL at "These parents messed up big time" nothing here suggests that. Maybe they could have made smarter individual investments but they could be doing a lot worse.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The house is nice and not as tacky as I thought it was going to be. The only rooms that are a bit garish are the gaming rooms with funko pops and candy, but I'm guessing their YouTube channels cater to a younger audience so it makes sense.

However, the timing of this is incredibly wrong, there's a worldwide pandemic, millions are out of jobs and millions more fear the security of their jobs and are hoping they can make next month's rent. Food banks in my area have never been so busy. This isn't a house tour, its a 'look how rich we are' video, and the sports cars parked purposely at the start of the video indicate that from the get-go.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Those bedrooms are surprisingly small.

Video wasn't that bad really. Fair play to them for making it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Just tacky and awful. No one should be living in a mansion, let alone a bunch of fortnite streamers calling themselves "the 1%". Fuck that shit.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Espers001.jpg