• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Part of the reason to break Apple's rule was to get on the fast lane of a lawsuit (as they can easily show damages) as well as try to get empathy moves from their audience taht could be used to push for more legislative outreach (project Liberty).
In the end, this was just a small gamble from Epic, they lose like what, 7-10% of their revenue for a possible big win? Small risk, big reward. Only danger position was when Apple went for Unreal Engine.

Not only is this not how it works in terms of damages to show for their case (Epic could have sued without breaking the contract; the damages would still have been existant absent being kicked off the Store), but the Judge offered in pre-trial to create an account neither Epic nor Apple could touch where all the disputed revenue could go until the case could be decided.

Apple said yes to this but Epic said no.

Which means they have lost out on years of revenue (7-10% loss is no joke CEOs lose their jobs over less), but that there was zero reason to risk the past few years revenue on this case. This was a totally unnecessary risk and I think Sweeney has finally realized how recklessly he litigated as evidence by the fact he's basically begging Apple to let him back on the Apple Store.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
So when is the Epic Phone.
I'm sure the people behind the Freedom Phone will get right to it after they're done grifting the Fox News gang!
CYMERA-20210923-124423.jpg

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't seemed to hurt either Apple or Fortnite, the only people who really lose out are the players who prefer to play on their iPhones
Dingding

This does suck for a lot of folk who probably didn't even know/care what all this even is. Just that it was there, now it's not and it won't be.

Bruh are we really saying having a (likely subsidized over years) iPhone means you're set to just get a console or other phone to play Fortnite on

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You are not in a tight financial situation when you own an iPhone...
That's not a good measure on financial status. It's on the same level as Fox claiming you're not poor cuz you own a fridge. Smartphones are a necessity. Some people go for iPhones cuz it's one of the very few luxuries they can afford.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dingding

This does suck for a lot of folk who probably didn't even know/care what all this even is. Just that it was there, now it's not and it won't be.

Bruh are we really saying having a (likely subsidized over years) iPhone means you're set to just get a console or other phone to play Fortnite on
We're saying if Epic weren't STILL trying to fuck Apple in court, Apple wouldn't have reason to uphold the consequences Epic triggered to begin with. But Epic has stated they want Apple to get fucked MORE in court and will continue the suits via appeal process…

why the fuck is that Apple's fault when Epic can cut this out any time?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They can buy smartphones that cost $500+ less than an iPhone.
brand new iPhones start at well under 500 dollars on their own. Your argument is preposterous. Are there cheaper phones than the cheapest iphone? sure. Those phones aren't playing fortnite, nor is it the same to say "You COULD HAVE bought a cheaper phone" when someone ALREADY FUCKING HAS their iphone. iPhones are not some hyper rich elite status symbol jfc.

That's without dipping into the world of refurbs and shit that are like 100 bucks or less for reasonable model iphones still too.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're saying if Epic weren't STILL trying to fuck Apple in court, Apple wouldn't have reason to uphold the consequences Epic triggered to begin with. But Epic has stated they want Apple to get fucked MORE in court and will continue the suits via appeal process…

why the fuck is that Apple's fault when Epic can cut this out any time?
I was just agreeing that the biggest losers here are those who just wanted the game on their phone. I'm not saying Apple is in the wrong. Just that neither company is really losing a ton. Worse for Epic than Apple, for sure, but it's not like, say, PlayStation gave them the boot. That'd be devastating for a large playerbase and Epic… and Sony, honestly.

The people who just wanted Fortnite on their phone are the ones losing most in this ridiculous saga.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
brand new iPhones start at well under 500 dollars on their own. Your argument is preposterous. Are there cheaper phones than the cheapest iphone? sure. Those phones aren't playing fortnite, nor is it the same to say "You COULD HAVE bought a cheaper phone" when someone ALREADY FUCKING HAS their iphone. iPhones are not some hyper rich elite status symbol jfc.
The person I first commented on said "tight financial situation". I'm not talking about "can it play Fortnite at a cheaper price?"

If someone has very little money and needs a smartphone, do they buy something for $500 or $150?

As my comment was only directed at the financial part and did not consider the fact if it could play the game this topic is about: I'm out. Have a nice day.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
That's not a good measure on financial status. It's on the same level as Fox claiming you're not poor cuz you own a fridge. Smartphones are a necessity. Some people go for iPhones cuz it's one of the very few luxuries they can afford.

OK then playing Fortnite is not a necessity.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The person I first commented on said "tight financial situation". I'm not talking about "can it play Fortnite at a cheaper price?"

If someone has very little money and needs a smartphone, do they buy something for $500 or $150?

As my comment was only directed at the financial part and did not consider the fact if it could play the game this topic is about: I'm out. Have a nice day.
Bullshit, You can't try to now go 'oh I don't care if it plays fortnite' in a thread about fucking playing fortnite on your phone. Nor are you responding to the fact that BRAND NEW iphones can cost as little as 399, let alone refurbs for UNDER 150 like you're saying. Someone can afford *A* phone, they cannot afford to then DROP said phone strictly because of fortnite, which is what you were responding to to begin with with your bullshit gatekeeping about how poor people shouldn't have nice things.

OK then playing Fortnite is not a necessity.
No shit? But that's really got nothing to do with it. Humans dont' 'need' almost anything, but that can't really mean you're advocating that people have a dirty single room with a bed and some food and that's it and it's ok either.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'd feel bad for almost anyone else in this case, but since its Tim Sweeney and his Tencent corporate overlords....naw.

Enjoy your results Epic. You earned this.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
No shit? But that's really got nothing to do with it. Humans dont' 'need' almost anything, but that can't really mean you're advocating that people have a dirty single room with a bed and some food and that's it and it's ok either.

But what are you advocating for? That a company change its policies for a trivial non-necessity? That a government make a law to force it to do so?

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Well I was going to ask if they'll at least be able to bring back the infinity blade games, but it looks like they can't publish stuff on iOS in general.
But then again, epic doesn't seem to care about anything that isn't fortnight so 🤷‍♂️

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
1. Touch phones are not a necessity on a similar level as fridges
2. Poor people usually do not buy the most expensive fridges on the market
3. Some people may still decide to buy iPhones even though they cannot afford them and need to pay them off over months. Hard to feel sympathy with such decision making.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody can guarantanee that their situation won't change, so they won't be able to afford.
They shouldn't, but people still try cuz society puts a lot of pressure on not looking and feeling "poor". And these people don't go on expensive spending sprees. It's usually just one expensive thing they want that will last them years.

This really is getting off-topic.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
This thread certainly took a turn for a "Ohhh, won't somebody please think of the children!"

Anyway. Burnslaughing.gif

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Just think of it like an exclusivity agreement.

Apple and Epic have agreed Fortnite will be excluded from being on iPhone.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone arguing how iOS revenue isn't that big of a share of Fortnite's revenue, and such it's not that big of a deal:

I feel like you're not looking at the big picture here. Just like Among Us wouldn't have been that huge of a phenomenon if there hadn't been an iOS version of the game (in addition to the PC and Android version), Fortnite not being on iOS is detrimental to the metaver game as a whole.
Fortnite not being on iPads means more and more kids will make Roblox their platform of choice for that.

Especially the social component, i.e. kids just hanging out in the game, goofing around with friends, is something that's gonna be happening less in Fortnite, now that many of them can't access the game via their iPhones / iPads anymore.

It's less about the 7-10% of revenue that Epic is missing out on, it's Fortnite being weakened as a (mostly) universally accessible 'platform'. It's not EPIC that is suffering from this 'embargo', it's FORTNITE.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Would it kill Tim Sweeney to just keep his mouth shut? Lol. I think he's doing more harm to Epic than good.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should go like "wow, my friend who used my computer the other day was super rude and got me banned."

The rude dude owning a majority stake makes it a little tricky though.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I do not like Tim Sweeny much anyways but this whole thing has made him look like a fuckin child at every step.

Apple could give a fuck less about fornite. Losing any revenue there is barely a tickle on the back of that billion dollar company. Apple store is apparently a ridiculously small portion of Fortnite revenue as well. So all epic accomplished was fuckin over apple a bit and getting their game permed most likely from iOS.

If the battle is for hearts and minds I feel like Tim managed to make more people side with the megacorp on this. And his constant fuckin yammering to his child audience comes off as fucking weird and self-indulgent.