• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Nearly every dance is sold through vbucks, and the store. Either that or the pass.

So royalities on the people who pay for the pass upgrades to the dance and on the store.

Not like you're gonna get that off of the people earning the dances.
Ah, thank you. I was unaware this was the process thought it was all done through the Battle Pass thing.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Ah, thank you. I was unaware this was the process thought it was all done through the Battle Pass thing.
Honestly it would be less of a problem if it was done through that.

I know,

The damages is already done. I will keep posting the video because its proving my point 10 times over

This is exactly what I was referring to.

What even further proves this point. Go on TikTok, all dances in fortnite like shoot and shit are all tagged only as fortnite. Nothing else not #shoot or #blocboy.

Just fortnite. This proves that the younger generation already don't know who did what.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it 'credit' or is it 'money' though?
Chance the Rapper wasn't talking about crediting people. He was talking about paying them.
If someone wants accreditation, I'm sure they could voluntarily waive any legal issues and have their name and their official name for the dance there as a collaboration. I don't see why Epic or their lawyers would have any problem with that.
If they want a payment cut, then thats not going to happen, for a variety of reasons.
I'm very clearly talking about credit. If Chance the Rapper wants to be paid for something, he has to be able to prove legal ownership of that thing, no one has suggested otherwise.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Destiny and COD had emotes galore that were ripped off

I mean those games aren't slouches by any means in people knowing if them by popularity
crazy Fortnite is the one who gets labeled out for it

I mean the BR side blew up and just rode on that wave of popularity that it's become its own culture vulture of taking things, expanding them to a huge audience and it becoming synonymous so with it, not the original creator

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
That video doesn't even have the proper credit for some of these dances...

3rd comment with 715 likes : Fortnite basically steals and doesn't give credit to the person who made it and stuff!! So they stole emotes and renamed it.

And y'all can kiss my ass for this one. Here is a video citing the Top 10 Dances.....

And #1 is the HYPE....

BUT THE GUY DOESNT KNOW WHERE THE SOURCE IS FROM. HE PLAYS A VIDEO OF A WHITE USHER DOING THE MOVE.

And y'all wanna sit here and act like Im fucking crazy? When this shit PROVES my fucking point?

So... You're going to tar every person with the same brush and accuse people of whitewashing because someone on YouTube doesn't know their shit?

I agree wholeheartedly that the situation is messed up and proper credit should be given but you can't be upset that white kids are doing these dances and not having an encyclopaedic knowledge of where the dances all came from. Kids do it because it's the "in" thing.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
So... You're going to tar every person with the same brush and accuse people of whitewashing because someone on YouTube doesn't know their shit?

I agree wholeheartedly that the situation is messed up and proper credit should be given but you can't be upset that white kids are doing these dances and not having an encyclopaedic knowledge of where the dances all came from. Kids do it because it's the "in" thing.

Thats a goalpost move.

My argument has been fully validated because I claimed that not offering credit is going to lead to erasure. Which it has...

So everybody who preached from the mountaintop about searching for the source... If someone comes across this video, they don't get the truth, they get a white usher doing the move... That must be where it came from.....

People flooded into the thread bashing me, gas lighting me, talking down my concerns, and lo and behold my issue is already happening in full swing.

Did you notice people skipped right over the video of the guy who claimed that Fortnite stole his stuff and turned it into "Best Mates"

Im glad we both agree on offering proper credit.

There is clearly an issue here and it would be great if people would either recognize it or say they don't care. But to dismiss it is pretty expected from a white gaming audience who never has to deal with this sort of issues to begin with.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That video doesn't even have the proper credit for some of these dances...

3rd comment with 715 likes : Fortnite basically steals and doesn't give credit to the person who made it and stuff!! So they stole emotes and renamed it.

And y'all can kiss my ass for this one. Here is a video citing the Top 10 Dances.....

And #1 is the HYPE....

BUT THE GUY DOESNT KNOW WHERE THE SOURCE IS FROM. HE PLAYS A VIDEO OF A WHITE USHER DOING THE MOVE.

And y'all wanna sit here and act like Im fucking crazy? When this shit PROVES my fucking point?

Firstly, Hype wasn't number 1, The Floss was (it first went viral by the backpack kid). Hype was last of the honourable mentions for the new ones for that season I believe.

The author of the video might not have known the original source for the dance, but countless people do. Pretty sure Fortnite is one of the main reasons Blocboy Jr's Shoot song even has 29m views on YT in the first place. If it hadn't been for the dance being included in and popularised by Fortnite (arguably one of the biggest cultural phenomenons of our generation), I doubt the video would even have half that. That's still added revenue and coverage for Blocboy either way, whether Fortnite itself credited or paid him or not. It's also an example of Fortnite expanding or promoting the dance and its cultural significance, not erasing it.

And it's not stealing because there is no legal obligation for content creators of any media, be it books, TV, film, games or whatever else, to pay people off for the inclusion of viral memes, dances etc, that ultimately belong to all of us and are part of our popular culture.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
here is a site that actually took the time to tell it´s users about some of the most popular emotes in the game..

https://www.svg.com/134565/what-these-fortnite-emotes-really-mean/

And the Dab credit is wrong....

That belongs to Skippa Da Flippa. You see, there is an issue where White People want to credit whoever introduced things to THEM.

So yeah you saw Cam do it first, so thats who gets the credit for it? When people in HipHop were well aware of this going on before hand. Its only "popular" once its introduced to White Audiences, then y'all go crazy with it.

Thats why the Dab was donated to white people in the first place since it was so overused and starting to get marketed.

Ironically, look what Blocboy JB said:

"EveryTime Somebody Does My Dance Dey Give Credit to @FortniteGame But Dey Ain't Create Nothing But Da Game So Basically Dey Takin Money And Credit For My Shit Dats Crazy," BlocBoy tweeted out in early September. He followed that by adding, "Dey Love Our Culture But Hate Our Color."

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Firstly, Hype wasn't number 1, The Floss was (it first went viral by the backpack kid). Hype was last of the honourable mentions for the new ones for that season I believe.

The author of the video might not have known the original source for the dance, but countless people do. Pretty sure Fortnite is one of the main reasons Blocboy Jr's Shoot song even has 29m views on YT in the first place. If it hadn't been for the dance being included in and popularised by Fortnite (arguably one of the biggest cultural phenomenons of our generation), I doubt the video would even have half that. That's still added revenue and coverage for Blocboy either way, whether Fortnite itself credited or paid him or not. It's also an example of Fortnite expanding or promoting the dance and its cultural significance, not erasing it.

And it's not stealing because there is no legal obligation for content creators of any media, be it books, TV, film, games or whatever else, to pay people off for the inclusion of viral memes, dances etc, that ultimately belong to all of us and are part of our popular culture.

If doing the dance means it belongs to Fortnite now, thats ROBBING the significance. How can you even say this?

You even pull a Fortnite made it more popular argument when it was put in Fortnite because it was viral already.

You guys sound like robots, repeating the same thing over and over. Its so fucking lame.

Y'all really do love our culture but hate our color.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't the big issue with compensation be the line of people claiming that they actually created the moves? As soon as money is involved all sorts of people will appear out of the woodwork looking for their cut. Epic would have to maintain a legal team just to sort out who should be paid what. Then what happens if they pay someone out, but it turns out that there is evidence that someone else was doing an identical move years before? Do they sue the person they erroneously paid out to? Does the actual creator get nothing at that point? It seems like a huge legal morass that no company would ever want to get into.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thats a goalpost move.

My argument has been fully validated because I claimed that not offering credit is going to lead to erasure. Which it has...

So everybody who preached from the mountaintop about searching for the source... If someone comes across this video, they don't get the truth, they get a white usher doing the move... That must be where it came from.....

Your argument isn't validated because of a video where a guy doesn't know the origin of one dance, sorry. He even says on the video and I quote:

"I don't know where the original reference of, or where it's originated." and then links a video that got popular on twitter after fortnite, at no point does he say that's the origin of the dance, and fuck he makes that prety clear...

Did you notice people skipped right over the video of the guy who claimed that Fortnite stole his stuff and turned it into "Best Mates"

It's funny you bring that up, go back to the video you posted and go check number 8.
As you can see he can clearly reference the origin of that dance, so this video only proves that this guy didn't do his research well on that particular dance to make a video like this. Good.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And the Dab credit is wrong....

That belongs to Skippa Da Flippa. You see, there is an issue where White People want to credit whoever introduced things to THEM.

So yeah you saw Cam do it first, so thats who gets the credit for it? When people in HipHop were well aware of this going on before hand. Its only "popular" once its introduced to White Audiences, then y'all go crazy with it.

Thats why the Dab was donated to white people in the first place since it was so overused and starting to get marketed.

please don't change an article to fit your narrative..the full qoute reads

The "dab" is not a move that requires a rocket science degree to pull off. In terms of dance moves, it's actually one that doesn't require any real kind of coordination. Still, the history of how the dab got started is somewhat contentious. Some believe it started with hip hop artists in Atlanta. Others dispute that. But most agree that it became popular once Cam Newton, quarterback of the NFL's Carolina Panthers, started using the pose after touchdowns.

you are putting words in the mouth of the author when he never said what you did... why do that?

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Your argument isn't validated because of a video where a guy doesn't know the origin of one dance, sorry. He even says on the video and I quote:

"I don't know where the original reference of, or where it's originated." and then links a video that got popular on twitter after fortnite, at no point does he say that's the origin of the dance, and fuck he makes that prety clear...

It's funny you bring that up, go back to the video you posted and go check number 8.
As you can see he can clearly reference the origin of that dance, so this video only proves that this guy didn't do his research well on that particular dance to make a video like this. Good.

The fucking point is that he can't source it. Full stop.

Try harder.

you are putting words in the mouth of the author when he never said what you did... why do that?

Them saying Cam made it "popular" is essentially saying thats when white people saw and adopted the Dab.

People were dabbing long before Cam Newton. Its pretty clear thats how it was being described in the text. Just because white people hop on the train doesn't mean shit wasn't popular before then. This is the shit that be pissing us off that y'all swear by.

That things can only be big and viral when white people get included.

Phil Good

Apr 25, 2018
I am absolutely shocked by the OP, the guy acts like people have been personally harming him... You didn't invent the dance yourself now did you ? And why this weird insistance on " white kids" ? Last time I checked, all kinds of kids were doing this dance for fun, regardless of their skin color.

Like really I am shocked by the content of this OP and can't comprehend how it got a pass from the mods

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom

Because he can't deal with the fact that for a huge amount of popular dances (or popular anything) it's incredibly difficult to actually pin down an originator, not least of all because dances and other cultural phenomenons are constantly passed down and evolve over time. It's been brought up time and time again in this thread, examples have been given, but somehow OP has never addressed the fact that culture is a liquid and ever-moving entity. Pasta came to Italy from China, but they took it and made it their own. Like chicago made pizza their own, like everything in this world continues to evolve. You ever heard the song robot rock by Daft Punk? It's a loop of the intro to Release the Beast by Breakwater. The irony is, Fortnite is popular enough to bring these dances to a new audience, a new generation - just like MJ brought the moonwalk to a new audience. Maybe Cab Calloway could have applied for a patent or something, but then wouldn't he be stealing credit from wherever he was influenced from? As such, popular culture is born, and everything evolves.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
what even is culture and how can you put a price on it?

I think it's kind of selfish to want money for wiggling your body parts a certain way

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think youtube gives viewer graphs anymore but it's interesting to see in google trends how the interest in "shoot dance" and "hype dance" spiked at the same time between Apr 29 - May 5 with "shoot dance" clearly outdoing it though. Fortnite introduced the "hype" emote on May 1st.

nSAy2Oe.jpg

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q="shoot dance","hype dance"

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Hundred percent with you on this, OP. They take these dances and act like they own them. Shit is wack.

- White Boy Who Can't Dance For Shit

Oct 27, 2017
So going through this thread, I feel, is a pretty accurate representation of race-relations in our society right now.

The systemic whitewashing is something that absolutely happens in American culture. Throughout so much of American's musical history, styles are almost directly lifted from African Americans and then adopted by a white singer. Back in the 50's this was absolutely rampant and absolutely no credit was given to the influence. Black culture has continually been borrowed by prominent white artist and made their own.

As Paul Mooney said, "Everybody wants to be a [black american] but nobody wants to be a [black american]."

OPs claim is part of a larger issue. The erasure comes due to Fortnite BEING this juggernaut pop-cultural staple. With the popularity of these dances, while it seems completely innocuous not knowing the origins of the dance, it just contributes to the larger issue of things that black culture has created not getting it's due credit.

It seems many people are sitting there like, "You serious, OP? What's the big deal? You're taking nothing and turning it into something." While it's not NOTHING, it certainly isn't a HUGE deal but it's these micro-instances of waiving something like that off that contributes to the overall problem.

I mean, the Fortnite argument is not worth staking your flag and fighting to the death for, but it's a good starting point.

Another thing that was used as a counterpoint was about how people are complaining about the Smash Bros. roster not being diverse. Just wanted to give a quick touch on that (even though these kind of things deserve a much larger discussion space). Now, while I'm not excusing Japanese culture for it, you have to understand as Americans (and this board is primarily an American board), is that just because America has a more advanced view when it comes to diversity, that doesn't mean you can use that stick to judge all over countries. I mean, on paper, yea, sure that'd be great, right? But in reality, due to historical and societal factors, that is just a naive approach to take.

In the case of Japan, an already xenophobic society, they don't have that much interaction with people of other races, ESPECIALLY skin color. In Asian countries themselves, just a darker skin tone is looked down upon. The Chinese, Korean, and Japanese population look at Western Asians like they're a lesser group partially due to them being a darker shade of skin.

Horrible, right? But the issue is because these countries lack the diversity that America provides, they don't get challenged by this very wrong way of thinking. Most of them don't interact with other races on a day-to-day basis to realize that we're all just humans.

To compound things, the only exposure they get is what culture gets exported.

Consider this, around the mid 2000's when I went to visit my home country, one of my cousin's asked me if it was true that if you looked at black people the wrong way... that they would pull out a gun and shoot you. I thought it was such an absurd question to ask but then I realized, HIS only exposure to African Americans had been the movies and rap music that America exported. 'Boys in the Hood,' 'Menace 2 Society'.... it made since he thought that way.

So when taking these factors into consideration, it isn't right, but it makes sense that a game developed by Nintendo of Japan will lack the racial awareness and sensitivity of showing a diverse cast.

I mean, just look how the Pokemon Jinx. CLEARLY created as a caricature of African-Americans. Nintendo of America had it swapped to a purple skin as a quick fix.

Remember that Resident Evil 5 controversy? Showing a white protagonist gunning down nothing but Africans? Their culture as a whole doesn't understand the deep history of slavery in America. While yes, you can read about it in textbooks, it's different being raised in an environment that still struggles with that past. To them, it was just "Hey, our setting is Africa so why wouldn't the zombies be mostly black?" Makes sense on paper but a game like that just doesn't work in America BECAUSE of the intense history behind those imagery. They ended up peppering in white zombies to offset the negativity.

In the same coin, though, I wouldn't expect an American audience to fully grasp the dynamics between the East-Asian countries. It use to anger me as a child when American schools just glossed over the Pacific portion of World War II in class. It's only mention was the atomic bombs and that was it. The actions of the Japanese during this time STILL affects relations between Korea and China not just politically but also artistically.

You'll notice a LOT of films where Koreans or Chinese are just beating the shit out of Japan. In the same way American culture revels in beating up Nazis, Koreans and Chinese culture revels in beating up the Japanese (Look at IP MAN and THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE WEIRD as examples).

However, I wouldn't expect American culture to fully grasp the history and weight of that situation. And it sounds ridiculous but the imagery of Japanese people killing OTHER Asians in 'Ghost of Tsushima' felt a little gross to me. In the same way if America released a movie about Germany post World War I where America is the antagonist would sit funny in people's mouths. Again, I don't expect someone to understand the weight of that dynamic.

These are extremely complex conversations and I would argue a bit too intense to properly be discussed within a forum like ResetEra. But, I think a forum like ResetEra can challenge the people who don't think this is a big deal and encourage them to dive deeper into this topic should they be so inclined.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Mate, fuck off with this garbage. Even if you're saying it tongue in cheek.

Fucking stop. It's ridiculous, you can't just tell me or anyone else here that we're prejudiced because we disagree with some of your points.

Its fucking 2018.

The overlap between GAMERS who don't find this an issue and those who will be quick to downplay political issues involving Black People is pretty high.

It aint that hard of a concept to grasp nor is it that off base.

People want more black characters, "Let the devs make what they want, ugh SJW nonsense"

There should be more diversity in gaming, "Why should I be forced to identify with etc xyz"

Fortnite should give credit to everyone, "This isn't an issue, you're over reacting!"

Anime girl costume gets censored, "This is an affront to gaming! We shouldn't stand for such blatant censorship!"

We gonna pretend that even the board isn't immune to the nonsense that goes on in this industry? We going to pretend that most GAMERS are sympathetic to diverse causes?

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If doing the dance means it belongs to Fortnite now, thats ROBBING the significance. How can you even say this?

You even pull a Fortnite made it more popular argument when it was put in Fortnite because it was viral already.

You guys sound like robots, repeating the same thing over and over. Its so fucking lame.

Y'all really do love our culture but hate our color.

What on Earth are you even talking about? You sound so bitter, jaded and emotionally compromised it's unreal. So now if I enjoy a popular dance in a video game, TV show episode, YT dance video or whatever else, or don't want memes to have a fiscal or corporate angle to them, I hate black people? Ironically you ignore the half of the memes, dances etc that weren't even created by black people. Are you even listening to yourself? You actually sound completely irrational and downright absurd.

Also, it doesn't belong to Fortnite, just as it doesn't belong to Blockboy. Just as the Floss doesn't belong to Russell, or the Robot whoever invented it. They did a dance that became a meme/popular and is now part of contemporary global culture, that is and can be used by all types of people, media, mediums and content creators.

Fortnite isn't robbing it of significance, it's giving it added significance and a much bigger audience with considerably more coverage and awareness. I mean, sure, some might know its origin just as some might not know the same were they to see the dance in a TV episode, show, random dance or Insta video or whatever else, but many people will.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
what even is culture and how can you put a price on it?

I think it's kind of selfish to want money for wiggling your body parts a certain way
True, I wiggle my fingers at a keyboard and produce code that powers games people play, and I'm shocked that I get paid for it. Buncha saps!

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Them saying Cam made it "popular" is essentially saying thats when white people saw and adopted the Dab.

People were dabbing long before Cam Newton. Its pretty clear thats how it was being described in the text. Just because white people hop on the train doesn't mean shit wasn't popular before then. This is the shit that be pissing us off that y'all swear by.

please stop for a moment...

the article says :

"Still, the history of how the dab got started is somewhat contentious. Some believe it started with hip hop artists in Atlanta. Others dispute that."

they tell us that there has been doubt about where it originated..

and then they say:

"But most agree that it became popular once Cam Newton, quarterback of the NFL's Carolina Panthers, started using the pose after touchdowns."

they say "most people agree he made it POPULAR".. nothing about the origin..

now try to google it.. "who made the dab popular"... Cam is the name that pops up, over and over and over and over..

so they credit it "right"..

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
OP just wants to argue and has no real interest in actually debating anything. At this point it seems like they're just doing it so they can run over to OT and complain about how racist/whatever the gaming side is.

On topic, ripping off dance moves has been a thing since... forever. In an ideal world Epic would credit the dances but I completely understand why they don't for legal reasons.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Morally, they have an obligation to acknowledge, to the best of their own knowledge, where a dance/emote came from. But it presents a few problems, from my limited point of view:
- When someone used flamenco dancing as something to credit spaniards for...well, it's not exactly used from typical spaniards, but a subset of roma and southern spain population. Would you like to see a dance credited as coming from "the black people of western US"? that sounds lazy, almost racist, if you ask me.
- To credit something implies you DO know where something came from, in the first place, creating potential problems such as "I saw a white NFL dude doing the dance, so I guess that's the one to credit" vs disputes impossible to settle on who popularized what.
- Recognizing the cultural significance of a move, and therefore using it on a game, is in itself a kind of reward, since you probably could argue for some kind of fair use clause on those.
- Would the creator credited from the dance sue each and every video of her/his dance? because, if not, as far as my copyright law knowledge goes, the authorship means nothing from the compensation point of view.
P.S: I apologize if my use of language is odd, english is not my native, or even 2nd language, and some stuff/sensitivities might come off as harsh. If that's the case, please accept my apologies.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
True, I wiggle my fingers at a keyboard and produce code that powers games people play, and I'm shocked that I get paid for it. Buncha saps!
I swear resetera sometimes..
OK.
let me rephrase it then...
for wanting money because someone made something that resembles wiggling body parts like you do on occasion

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't agree. We shouldn't be monetising (in terms of royalties) what are essentially memes, viral dance moves and elements of popular culture, even if said things are being used by content creators to add (monetary) value to their products. Not everything has to have some sort of corporate stamp, ownership and accountability to it. Some things should just be able to be enjoyed without having x, y or z paid off, and in any case, you could argue it is Fortnite that is assisting in making these dance moves part of popular culture, as much as the other way around.
If you create something and someone else uses it to make a profit (a huge profit too), why does it matter if it's been "culturally adopted"? Someone is using it to make a profit, they are using something you created. Nobody is saying go to a kids birthday party and give them a bill for doing the dance, this is a corporation.
Also, I'm not sure the OP should have specified or focused on predominantly black artists and creators, as a lot of these dance moves and memes were popularised by white (and Asian) people too, on top of that, many aren't or weren't necessarily coined by artists per se, but random YouTubers or people who just happened to go viral.
It's framed that way because there is a historical record of cultural appropriation from minorities to white people. The OP is black, so that is the perspective they are speaking from.
For all we know Fortnite may have already indirectly increased revenue for the original sources of these things, by way of users seeking out the original meme or song videos etc as a result of seeing them in Fortnite, thus increasing the original creators ad revenue and awareness or coverage.
That's like asking an artist to work for "exposure", which is horribly insulting. If it was good enough to lift and make money off of it's good enough to pay for. They recognized the worth and they monetized it.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
please stop for a moment...

the article says :

"Still, the history of how the dab got started is somewhat contentious. Some believe it started with hip hop artists in Atlanta. Others dispute that."

they tell us that there has been doubt about where it originated..

and then they say:

"But most agree that it became popular once Cam Newton, quarterback of the NFL's Carolina Panthers, started using the pose after touchdowns."

they say "most people agree he made it POPULAR".. nothing about the origin..

now try to google it.. "who made the dab popular"... Cam is the name that pops up, over and over and over and over..

so they credit it "right"..
Hey, my ancestors are the true originators of the dab!
Cj8_nFGWsAApiso.jpg

I really hope this serves to illustrate the difficulty in pinning down the origins of a fucking pose, versus say... A song or (can't believe we have to go here but here we go) a piece of computer programming.

Oct 27, 2017
Its fucking 2018.
We gonna pretend that even the board isn't immune to the nonsense that goes on in this industry? We going to pretend that most GAMERS are sympathetic to diverse causes?

OP I commend you for fighting the good fight. It's absolutely a problem and the kind of resistance you're seeing on these forums will more than likely persist throughout your life. The one thing I will say is that... to the people that don't really deal with any of this, it absolutely is going to be a concept that's hard to grasp.

Even for me, when it came to the topic of female presentation, ten years ago I would've been like "Man you girls are crazy. There's SO MANY strong female characters that we are most definitely making progress! You guys need to relax!"

Now? I totally get it. While there has been advances in how women are perceived, it's still extremely shitty and for every step that's taken, there's another step back. I mean, up until 'Wonder Women,' Disney had been like, "Yea I don't think anyone would go see a Black Widow standalone movie."

Stay persistent in your fight because to the people who don't understand it, they will dismiss it right off the bat.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do find it annoying that dumb kids are crediting Fortnite for a lot of these classic dances, but to say they're trying to erase "black culture" seems a bit much.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
OP I commend you for fighting the good fight. It's absolutely a problem and the kind of resistance you're seeing on these forums will more than likely persist throughout your life. The one thing I will say is that... to the people that don't really deal with any of this, it absolutely is going to be a concept that's hard to grasp.

Even for me, when it came to the topic of female presentation, ten years ago I would've been like "Man you girls are crazy. There's SO MANY strong female characters that we are most definitely making progress! You guys need to relax!"

Now? I totally get it. While there has been advances in how women are perceived, it's still extremely shitty and for every step that's taken, there's another step back. I mean, up until 'Wonder Women,' Disney had been like, "Yea I don't think anyone would go see a Black Widow standalone movie."

Stay persistent in your fight because to the people who don't understand it, they will dismiss it right off the bat.

Lol so it's cool for op to essentially call me and others bigoted because he's "fighting the good fight" ? Righto.

The good fight being that Fortnite dances are properly accredited to their respective creators. If that's what hill you choose to die on, by all means.

Can we not see how ridiculous this thread is getting when we have posters accusing others of prejudice and nothing is getting done about it.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
The amount of people suddenly pretending culture erasure isn't a thing is pretty baffling, and the obvious gaslighting going on, telling OP he's too emotional over the subject as if white people haven't been taking black culture and making it """"good"""".

Honestly can't believe people think it's even appropriate to tell a poc to stop getting emotional of their culture being erased.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Would like to know what OP thinks of this.

That graph clearly shows The Shoot was trending and popular before EPIC snatched it.

So to say Fortnite made it "popular" is wrong entirely. "more popular" you're technically correct.

But everyone wants to rob the value and worth of our creations until a corporation profits off of it, then its EPIC's god given right to take advantage of it.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
So is the ultimate purpose here to discuss the idea that you should be able to copyright things as nebulous as dances?

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dont think thats a contentious thing to say, Newton didnt invent it, but he brought it to a wide audience of multiple cultures. If you look up the trend for dab it spikes when Cam does it, most likely cause is a big name in a huge audience pool, its not about white or black, its about when the most amount of people were exposed to it.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are entire schools of academia about studying cultural roots and overlap and tracking the connections and references for where culture came from. Not in an ownership way, but in a respecting and understanding culture way.

It would cost nothing for them to reference who invented the dance and out their name on it, just as a mark of respect to the culture.

This I disagree with. I doubt you can just put an artists name into your game without first contacting them, getting permission, signing contracts and all the other months of legal proceedings.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
So instead of being happy that the dances have reached audiences they would have never otherwise reached, he's upset that he personally isn't getting credit and/or getting royalties?

First, I don't know if you can trademark a dance move, so royalties wouldn't be an option really.

Second, seems a bit narcissistic to be so burned that people aren't associating his name with the dance.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
If you're really equating wiggling your body or posing with programming something, you're being ridiculous.
Hey, at least I'm not trying to insinuate that dancing is some mindless activity that takes no creativity and choreography to reliably recreate. I'm one up on that guy I was responding to!

Oct 27, 2017
Lol so it's cool for op to essentially call me and others bigoted because he's "fighting the good fight" ? Righto.

The good fight being that Fortnite dances are properly accredited to their respective creators. If that's what hill you choose to die on, by all means.

Can we not see how ridiculous this thread is getting when we have posters accusing others of prejudice and nothing is getting done about it.

If you review what I said and what you said, you labeled yourself the bigot.

I was stating to the OP that he will get resistance and he will have people who try and whittle down the point he will try to make. No where do I say the ones who resist will be racist or bigots, just people who might not fully grasp the situation or points he will try to make.

In my other post I mention that I don't know if this Fortnite dance thing is the hill that OP wants to fight to the death on, but these micro-instances are just as important as the overall subject so if he thinks this is absolutely worth it to fight the bigger issue and he feels that strongly about it, who am I to tell him not to?

Status
Not open for further replies.