Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
The problem is that I'm not convinced there is a better candidate when it comes to implementing policy. The progressive movement, as currently presented, is stalled. Even Nancy Pelosi effectively wrote off the movement with her "five people" remark a few weeks back, and I'd argue some or most of those "five people" are why the Democrats control the House right now. And yet, can anyone here name one significant piece of policy that AOC has co-sponsored or supported that is currently the law of the land right now?

Dude what the fuck

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those saying he's awful, remember he's not going to lose California or New York, but will sweep the rust belt, that's why he will eventually be the Democrat candidate

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Biden is not a perfect or even excellent candidate. I believe he is the candidate most likely to get meaningful policy enacted, including from the progressive side. Experience matters to me.

I'm guessing this will wither down to Biden vs. Bernie, and that may be the worst possible outcome for Democrats in 2020, because it will feel like Hillary all over again. The difference is that the Republican machine has spent the better part of 25 years successfully making Hillary and the Clintons toxic personalities--something I see them starting to do now with AOC. With Biden, it will be more about his professional and personal record--and that's a good thing.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry dude but this is so fucking naive it's causing me physical pain through the internet

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
For those saying he's awful, remember he's not going to lose California or New York, but will sweep the rust belt, that's why he will eventually be the Democrat candidate
Yeah reading that 538 report about Ne Ohio really kind of upset me, these "Democrats" who voted fo Trump last go or can't relate to more liberal parts of the party kind of suck ass.

Sadly though they are going to be needed to carry water. And if we can continue to push the House and Senate left, a Dem president isnt going to veto good laws and policy.

Joe is far from my first choice and I find him dull and out of touch with people under 45, but we still need those people to get the whitehouse back

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you support this in the primary don't come yelling at young people or minorities or people of color or progressives if trump gets another 4, blame yourself for supporting this in the primary

PoliEra:

9005064_orig.jpg

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll vote for whomever the nominee is but Biden is probably the best bet if conventional wisdom holds. Then he can appoint Harris, Sanders and Warren to useful cabinet level positions to get shit done? You don't want someone who thinks they know how to do everything with no leadership experience you want someone who knows how to hire good people and enable them to do their job and do it well with little interference from the whitehouse: that's leadership not what we have now a whiny tin pot dictator who doesn't listen to his advisors.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
and note that he says he regrets what Hill "endured," not what he personally did in 1991

speaking of which:

Wow, I am totally shocked. You're saying Biden, the asshole who said he's not sorry for anything he's ever done, didn't give a real apology?

The same guy who refused to say sorry and instead made jokes about multiple accusations of sexual harassment against him?

Give me a second to process

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you support this in the primary don't come yelling at young people or minorities or people of color or progressives if trump gets another 4, blame yourself for supporting this in the primary

So your attitude is trump for another 4 years is better than Biden

LMAO

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another reason I think Biden would be absolutely terrible and would rather he not be the candidate is I remember this whole thing from last year:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/politics/joe-biden-donald-trump/index.html
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bid...-school-disrespecting-women/story?id=53897309
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...hell-out-of-him-says-joe-biden-of-trump-video

Biden speaks far too much off the cuff, and that's part of his appeal (he has the whole "he's the type of candidate I'd like to have a beer with" thing going on due to stuff like that, and as silly of a way as that may be about thinking about who should lead the country, I know that nonetheless is indeed the type of thing plenty of people think about when they make that decision, whether it's silly or not), but it also makes it super easy for Trump to just bait him into stupid arguments and making stupid comments where the news story that comes out of them just winding up being "candidates trade insults," and that's exactly where Trump wants it to be.

Because of Biden being who he is, it's so easy for Trump to bait him into biting on his vile nonsense and controlling the narrative, because of Biden's nature of speaking off the cuff and saying whatever's on his mind at any given moment and not thinking it through, he just seems like exactly the type of candidate Trump would want to face in the general election if he had his own choice as it just puts him in a good place as Biden has shown multiple times he can't resist biting down and keeping his focus where it needs to be, and that just worries me.

I just worry that if Biden does indeed win, instead of getting Hillary's e-mails, this time we'll just get a deluge of stuff like "candidates trade insults" as the recurring news story because Trump will no doubt continue to be Trump and say all kinds of insane garbage to try and provoke particular responses and control the narrative the way he wants it and make the news stories be on ground more friendly to him and Biden, being who he is, being unable to resit and punch back before trying to then pivot the topic back to something more important, but ceding the ground in the first place and just talking about how much he wants to beat the hell out of Trump and stuff is exactly the ground where Trump wants to be as opposed to say, actually talking about healthcare and the like, and based on passed behavior instead of staying focused I just worry that whenever Trump throws out bait Biden will be unable to resist and naturally the media will be unable to resist picking up on that and just make that the narrative instead of something more important and that Biden will just cede too much ground to Trump in that type of way, if that makes sense.

Especially since it's not just that. It's that when he goes in on stuff like this, he does nonetheless inevitably realize his mistake and apologize and back down:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/29/joe-biden-donald-trump-beat-the-hell

And that's another part of what I'm talking about: that the whole thing just wastes time. Trump does something terrible. Biden bites down hard, but then realizes he goofed and didn't handle that the best and apologizes. And then rinse and repeat. This stuff wastes valuable media cycles, but Biden has shown he can't resist biting down in the first place and just ignoring Trump's bait. And then he apologizes, but not before media cycles were wasted. That's the same kinda stuff that really hurt Hillary in 2016: wasted media cycles on pure nonsense and gibberish like that.

And I'm just very afraid that's what we'll get if Biden wins, especially since he's proven himself a gaffe on multiple occasions before and that's precisely why his previous attempts at the Presidency have failed: that he can't help himself, says something stupid, and ultimately realizes his mistakes only too late and has to back down after the fact. And that's precisely the type of stuff that Trump will prey on, and stuff like the whole saga I linked to last year, where Biden can't resist biting down on Trump's bait, saying that he'd beat the hell out of Trump only to backtrack and then switch to saying "I don't want to go down in the mosh pit with this guy," only to inevitably do it again (as this wasn't the fist time there's been this back and forth as the CNN story points out, and it's been a back and forth on this before), indicating he's still the same Biden that lost in '88 and 2008, and that just worries me to the kinda news cycles we'll have if he wins the primary, with so much time wasted on "candidates trade insults" stories and faux concern about the #civility of Biden saying he wants to beat the hell out of Trump, and if that's proper or not, and yes, Trump has so much worse, but does that make it okay for Biden to say and behave the same way and #BothSides and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, I can just see it all now, the media not being able to resit stuff like that if nonsense like the 2016 election and how the media has reacted to so much of Trump and his administrations unacceptable behavior ("but, but, civility! But, but, you can't treat SHS like that! Nevermind all the stuff she's said and done, jokes about eye-shadow made out of lies are too much and over the line" and all that comes to mind and how if that was enough to get the #civility train in the media going, well, I'm just naturally skeptical of how well the media would handle stuff like this...).

Especially since it's the type of stuff that though that itself seems like such an insignificant comment, and indeed in of itself it may be, but Biden's comments themselves aren't really the point, but rather just how they show him being unable to resist Trump's bait and also how it just reminds me of stuff like how Hillary was purely unable to come up with a good answer to the subject of her e-mails, letting it drag on way longer than it should have, and just the way Biden handled that stuff, though it was a mere blip in 2018, that was much before he was an actual candidate and in an actual election, it just has that same kinda flavor of something that will keep popping up in the election (Trump says something ridiculous, Biden can't resist immediately counter-punching as a first instinct, and too much time being wasted on just trading pure insults between the two of them), and I can't help wondering how that will play out.

Don't get be wrong, Biden could and most likely would still win against Trump. I'm not too worried about that. But I just worry about what the effects would be down-ballot exactly if my fears of Biden being a gaffe machine and him being unable to resit Trump's bait and wasting numerous news cycles on pure nonsense, and how that would all play out and that itself makes me hope someone else wins, all else aside.

Last edited:

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would take Biden over Trump by far, and I would take nearly every other Democratic candidate over Biden by far.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Has this been posted? There's three images on his official Instagram spelling out B IDE N and this is the last image... VERY weird placement of the N.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Has this been posted? There's three images on his official Instagram spelling out B IDE N and this is the last image... VERY weird placement of the N.

In what sense?

I presume that you mean the N being under Obama as though it's highlighting him, but then I read those comments and I have no idea what you mean lol

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think he deserves a shot. the lineup is such a clusterfuck i don't have any personal preferences, just going to wait and see where it goes. but i respect devoting most of your adult life to public service to, y'know, simply just serve. of course a lot of warts will show from that, maybe in his case it'll be disqualifying. but i think he kind of has no choice other than to give it a try given his circumstance

Status
Not open for further replies.